Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I dont want a WR in the first round
(04-27-2016, 11:06 AM)Benton Wrote: I think this may be one of the most split years as far as what fans want.

We need a center, and some want that route. We need a DT, and there will be plenty of top talent guys there. We could use a WR, CB, S, LB... and there will be talent at all those positions.

But the thing that's pretty awesome is people are so split because (in my opinion) this is one of the few years in the last couple decades where you can't point to a position and say "Damn, we're sunk if we don't draft someone there." There's always going to be a vocal few saying we're going to have a rough year if we don't improve a line or get someone in the backfield or whatever, but you can't look at any position and say for sure a rookie is going to come in and improve that spot. There's no consensus "we have to fix" position.

I look forward to the draft every year, but unless we take a tackle or a punter in the first, this may be the first year I just celebrate whoever comes off the board.
Sadly I think they will stick with Bodine.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 01:49 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Trade out of the first for a very early 2nd and an extra 3rd  and grab a WR in the 2nd

Make it a very late first rounder so the Bengals would have the 5th year option and I am 100% with this idea.  This is what I keep mocking.  The fact that Denver needs a QB is huge.  
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 02:43 PM)kevin Wrote: If we don't replace Jones and Sanu with a round 1 pick.....then in the season when everybody on this board is wondering what happened to Dalton, and why is he looking so bad.....and if they put in McCarron and he looks bad also.....and you are all wondering what happened......I'm going to be reminding you that we lost Jones and Sanu and instead of getting a Round 1 WR, the team drafted a position that they were already stocked up well in talent, and did not fill the huge need and void left by these two leaving. ......and that without real quality NFL receivers, of course our QBs look awful.

Let me throw out this scenario to you:

Would you rather put your 1st round pick on a WR that will be wanting targets from AJ Green, Tyler Eifert, Gio Bernard, Tyler Kroft, and (possibly) Mario Alford or would you rather have a CB to groom so you don't end up in a scenario where your starting CBs would be Adam Jones, Dennard, and Josh Shaw with zero depth behind them?  That is where they would be for any snap where Dre Kirkpatrick is injured.  They also run the risk of losing him next year in FA.

That brings me to the point that bothers me still about the second OT selection last year instead of taking Tyler Lockett.  They really needed to be prepared for this season with the potential loss of Marvin and Sanu.  Almost every WR in the draft is going to need time to learn our offense.  Even a player like Treadwell or Doctson is going to need a great deal of work on routes.  That is why, for this season, I really like Sterling Shepard as I see slot WR as a position that can make an impact right away like a RB.  

I'm betting #24 is a CB, and I am betting it is WIlliam Jackson III.  I would love to see them slide back to the end of round 1, gain an additional pick, and get the WR there unless, somehow, the CB is still there.
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 02:34 AM)TKUHL Wrote: The Top 3 WR's of this class may be = to the mid round WR's in past drafts. I will say No to Thomas and B.Miller but I would love to get Doctson or Treadwell. Getting one of these WR's is getting more and more unlikely. If Doctson, Treadwell or even Coleman are gone I would go with best CB,DE,DT on the board. I have this horrible feeling that we will draft a C with our first pick regardless.

Why do you feel horribly about this?  Our current Center is THE weak link to our enitre offense, and we know PAs track record coaching low rounders up, so we might as well get someone who's talent level will trump bad coaching.  I would actually like that pick if a good wideout isn't available.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 05:55 PM)kevin Wrote:  He is not an elite QB, but given the right talent, he can win games.

You mean like when he won 10 of them with Mo Sanu as his number 1 for like 4-5 games, and Marvin Jones out for the season?  D'oh!

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2016, 08:33 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: Sadly I think they will stick with Bodine.  

Ugh if Kelly is there though and they pass him up...

Bodine is dreadful and a huge part in why our running game struggled last year.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Nothing like the smell of draft day hyperbole in the morning
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2016, 02:29 PM)kevin Wrote: LaFell and Eifert and Green gets double teamed......No, we lost 2, we have to replace 2.......we got the free agent, but we NEED the round 1 WR. ....that replaces 2 with 2. 

6 guys to cover 3? that leaves 2 guys wide open.... dump to kroft or gio run for daylight.
Reply/Quote
I want a WR in the first. Gimmie dat.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2016, 03:54 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: It was Lafells career year and he was HoFer tom bradys #1 WR. He hasnt topped 677 yards in any other year.

Trust me I hope he does well. But I think his contributions on offense will be about equal to what we got from aj hawk on defense last year.

The pats didnt think he was worth a 2.6mil salary. That concerns me.

False. LaFell (119 targets) was Brady's #3 target that year behind Edelman (134 targets) and Gronk (131 targets).

Lafell was in a very similar role there to how he'll be used here.

Btw, last year was MLJ's best season and he was playing with an MVP candidate. He hasn't topped 712 yards in any other year.

LaFell's best 2 seasons (953 yards and 677 yards) and very similar to MLJ's (816 yards and 712 yards) no matter how you slice it.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2016, 12:26 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: False. LaFell (119 targets) was Brady's #3 target that year behind Edelman (134 targets) and Gronk (131 targets).

Lafell was in a very similar role there to how he'll be used here.

Btw, last year was MLJ's best season and he was playing with an MVP candidate. He hasn't topped 712 yards in any other year.

LaFell's best 2 seasons (953 yards and 677 yards) and very similar to MLJ's (816 yards and 712 yards) no matter how you slice it.

One big difference.... the NFL teams perceived Jones as a much better player than LaFell or you would not see such a giant pay difference between the two of them.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2016, 12:50 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: One big difference.... the NFL teams perceived Jones as a much better player than LaFell or you would not see such a giant pay difference between the two of them.

When all else fails, just switch the argument up.  Whatever

Contracts aren't based entirely on skill. Sometimes they reflect risk. LaFell is about to turn 30 and is coming off an injury. 

Marv Jones just turned 26 and is coming off his best season.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
well every draftnick will be wrong if we dont get a WR except that one guy that thinks we grab a DT.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2016, 12:50 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: One big difference.... the NFL teams perceived Jones as a much better player than LaFell or you would not see such a giant pay difference between the two of them.

Lafell is 4 years older and coming off an injury.

Marvin Jones would not have gotten the same deal last year after missing the entire '14 season.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2016, 01:20 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: well  every draftnick will be wrong if we dont get a WR except that one guy that thinks we grab a DT.

Charles Davis predicted we take Kelly to play Center.
Reply/Quote
I'm loving McShay's final Mock where Treadwell falls to us. Can't go wrong when you get a top 15 pick at 24.

http://imgur.com/CAyo3sy

Reply/Quote
(04-28-2016, 01:32 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I'm loving McShay's final Mock where Treadwell falls to us. Can't go wrong when you get a top 15 pick at 24.

http://imgur.com/CAyo3sy

NFL trade rumors has Treadwell falling to us as well:

http://nfltraderumors.co/2016-nfl-mock-draft/
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2016, 01:14 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: When all else fails, just switch the argument up.  Whatever

Contracts aren't based entirely on skill. Sometimes they reflect risk. LaFell is about to turn 30 and is coming off an injury. 

Marv Jones just turned 26 and is coming off his best season.

Brandon LaFells contract after his rookie deal. 3 years 9 million.
Marvin Jones contract after his rookie deal. 5 years 40 million.

I thought I would get busted saying he was the #1. Should have said he was a HoFers primary outside receiver and deep threat.

The Patriots cut him to save 2.6 million but have 1 million in dead money because of him.

Even if he is good he is still a one year rental. If we fail to get an early round receiver. And draft later guys. And miss because there are more misses than hits in later rounds. And we end up with a Dez Briscoe or Cobi Hamilton type. We will be in the same boat again next year.

Our 2014 playoff game WR situation just scares me. And right now our WR depth is way worse going into the year than what we were in 2014.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2016, 03:54 AM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: It was Lafells career year and he was HoFer tom bradys #1 WR. He hasnt topped 677 yards in any other year.

Trust me I hope he does well. But I think his contributions on offense will be about equal to what we got from aj hawk on defense last year.

The pats didnt think he was worth a 2.6mil salary. That concerns me.

He wasn't Brady's #1 lol. He was like the 3rd or 4th option.
Reply/Quote
(04-28-2016, 03:08 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Brandon LaFells contract after his rookie deal. 3 years 9 million.
Marvin Jones contract after his rookie deal. 5 years 40 million.

I thought I would get busted saying he was the #1. Should have said he was a HoFers primary outside receiver and deep threat.

The Patriots cut him to save 2.6 million but have 1 million in dead money because of him.

Even if he is good he is still a one year rental. If we fail to get an early round receiver. And draft later guys. And miss because there are more misses than hits in later rounds. And we end up with a Dez Briscoe or Cobi Hamilton type. We will be in the same boat again next year.

Our 2014 playoff game WR situation just scares me. And right now our WR depth is way worse going into the year than what we were in 2014.

Contract size (especially when they're years apart) doesn't mean who's better. Lafell has been more productive and more durable than Marvin Jones.

The WR class isn't as bad as everyone acts like it is this year too. It does drop off big time after about the 7th or 8th ranked reciever, but we can still get someone good this year in the 2nd or early next year.
Reply/Quote