Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
I knew
(10-15-2018, 02:36 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Somehow, some way, Dalton is taking the blame for this. To me, that's inexcusable. Guys, the job of the offense is to score. Period. Point blank. The job of the defense is to prevent that score. Time remaining is irrelevant. That falls on one unit NOT doing their job.

Time remaining isn't irrelevant. The defense didn't do the job but the offense could have done more. All they talked about in the post game against Atlanta was how they didn't want to leave much time on the clock for Ryan to work. They were completely under control on that last drive and had plenty of time. 

Not running another play before the 2:00 minute warning was good, even though that dork Fouts was saying "they need to try and run another play before the 2:00 warning"...uhh, duh, they're inside the 40 with 2 timeouts left, no they don't. Running out of bounds and snapping the ball with 15+ seconds left were preventable mistakes that would have caused pitt use their timeouts or allow some time to run off the clock.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
Running out of bounds - Green was one step from the line when he completed the catch. There was no physical way he was going to stay in bounds.

That leaves those game losing 15 seconds on one snap. Except that the Steelers only needed 1:08 and one timeout to score. If they'd been left 1:03 instead of 1:18 the Steelers would have used a timeout after their first play where they burned nearly 30 seconds. Then the entire rest of the series could have taken place as it did and nothing would have changed.
Reply/Quote
I hate it, but #MeToo ....with almost 1:20 on the clock, there was no doubt in my mind the Steelers would find a way to win. Too much time on a day where our DL was getting pushed backwards almost every single play. You dont beat Pig Ben by hoping he misses. You pressure him and hit him. That is how to rattle the pig.

We failed at that, but I'm still very proud we drove down and scored the go ahead TD. We fought hard on O and our secondary played well downfield for the most part. The front 7 stayed in bed I guess.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 04:38 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Time remaining isn't irrelevant. The defense didn't do the job but the offense could have done more. All they talked about in the post game against Atlanta was how they didn't want to leave much time on the clock for Ryan to work. They were completely under control on that last drive and had plenty of time. 

Not running another play before the 2:00 minute warning was good, even though that dork Fouts was saying "they need to try and run another play before the 2:00 warning"...uhh, duh, they're inside the 40 with 2 timeouts left, no they don't. Running out of bounds and snapping the ball with 15+ seconds left were preventable mistakes that would have caused pitt use their timeouts or allow some time to run off the clock.

Thank you. Someone gets it. 

In all honesty, im not even sure it matters. The Steelers had three timeouts. Maybe if we milk the clock more and they have 1 timeout or something it matters...but they drove down the field pretty easily. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 12:03 AM)bengaltruth Wrote:  REFS TOOK PLEASURE ANNOUNCING SETBACK PENALTIES AGAINST BENGALS

Link?
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2018, 10:27 PM)GodFather Wrote: Defense could've stopped them. They didn't. Bad plays and decisions every new set of downs. I also saw that Burfict said that last play wasn't even practiced for the game or even before in practice. So that was a horrible call by the DC. It was horrible...no sacks all game and this play was going to be different? 

.....not only that, the blitz call prior was terrible.  When the offense scores to tie going into the half, then takes the lead late in the 4th when the defense has no pressure and allows the opponent to march up and down the field all day, I have a tough time blaming them, overzealous or not.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 03:51 AM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: I have no idea how you claim that clock management didn't lose the game.  It did.

Kansas City just did exactly the same thing, btw.  You don't score too fast and give an elite offense an age to simply score a field goal.  You just don't.  

Honestly, our defense should have just let the Steelers score straight away and given the ball back to the offense with 1 minute to score again.  Defense is dead in the NFL right now.  43-40 lol.

People have really short memories. Our defense won us a game just one week ago. Anything could have happened while the Steelers were driving down the field.

Reply/Quote
(10-14-2018, 09:47 PM)GodFather Wrote: Hindsight is 20-20. The bigger problem is why couldn't this defense step up? All they had to do was hold them.

The offense did their job, it's not on them. They marched down the field and scored, the defense had to do their part and didn't.

Wrong, there is no hindsight. This is high school football coaching at it's best. You had every opportunity to both eat time off the clock AND make pitt use at least 1-2 TO's. The defense was shit all day except for a couple very lucky stops deep in their own territory with one being because pitt did NOT challenge what was an easy TD by Conner and another when TE James fumbled away a reception that he pounced on.

"All they had to do was hold them" is tougher to do by this team against elite teams and especially pitt than winning the lottery...You don't stop pitt with not even touching their fat ass QB the entire day and tackling like a 7th grade team.
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2018, 09:47 PM)GodFather Wrote: Hindsight is 20-20. The bigger problem is why couldn't this defense step up? All they had to do was hold them.

The offense did their job, it's not on them. They marched down the field and scored, the defense had to do their part and didn't.

No, this is on the QB and the coaches - ultimately the coaches.  Dalton's got a mic in his helmet.

We knew our defense has had trouble stopping these types of drives, we're down half the defensive backfield, Tez is playing poorly and he's totally winded.  

We knew the D was not up to this, and everyone in the daggone stadium knew how much time was on the clock.   As Fouts said, the primary focus is scoring - but you can let the time on the clock get down to within 3-8 seconds and grind the clock down before snapping the ball and take Ben out of the game.  That should not take away from the focus on getting the plays executed and the defense still does not know the exact snap count.

What do we pay all these guys millions of dollars to do?   Is there no contingency planning for what happens in almost EVERY NFL football game????

The D was the D - minus Vigil, Williams and Dennard, with Dre and WJIII being carted on and off the field on stretchers (obvious hyperbole).  Counting on them was total folly.

This is on the head coach for sure, and on Lazor maybe (depends on his level of autonomy)

Couple this with the failure to attempt a first down on a 4th and 1 on the Pittsburgh 40 something and I chalk this all up to a coaching failure in a significant way.

Those guys played their hearts out and overcame a lot of adversity to get us in position to win.  But the coaches ignored an integral part of finishing games.

If I'm Lazor and Dalton, I'm making a plan that leaves no doubt as to what to do the next time this situation rolls around.  Because it will.  And probably within at least two weeks.
Reply/Quote
Every Bengals fan more than 40 years old knew Steelers would win the game when we left over a minute on the clock.

Their O line owned our defense yesterday and there was zero indication that the Bengals could put pressure on Ben and stop them from at least getting an easy Field goal attempt.

The Bengals do something to blow games against the Steelers over and over and over.

Off the subject- but Someone please tell me why- after 16 years- we cannot cover tight ends.

Kelce is going to own the Bengals next week.

Prepare for a national embarrassment with Collingsworth having to eat crow once again for his Bengals association.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 11:46 AM)bengals67 Wrote: Every Bengals fan more than 40 years old knew Steelers would win the game when we left over a minute on the clock.

Their O line owned our defense yesterday and there was zero indication that the Bengals could put pressure on Ben and stop them from at least getting an easy Field goal attempt.

The Bengals do something to blow games against the Steelers over and over and over.

Off the subject- but Someone please tell me why- after 16 years- we cannot cover tight ends.

Prepare for a national embarrassment with Collingsworth having to eat crow once again for his Bengals association.
What in the world does being over 40 have to do with anything? I think most fans regardless of age felt very uneasy after Mixon scores.

Reply/Quote
When we left Matt Ryan with 7 seconds left we were all still nervous. So we already knew this swiss cheese D couldn't stop Ben unless they got a turnover.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 11:46 AM)bengals67 Wrote: Every Bengals fan more than 40 years old knew Steelers would win the game when we left over a minute on the clock.

I suspect our coaches were more concerned of Brown and Juju... and strategized that if we were going to get beat, it would be by their TE.  The irony is that eventually Brown scored the winning TD as he ALWAYS does to beat us. Don't have the stats but I have memories of it.
Reply/Quote
If anything, the Bengals should have grind the rush more the entire game to take time off; not just on the final drive. Defense was banged up and were being held at the line but no calls. Blatant holds on occasion. It is what it is. Bengals still cannot cover TE, and they lack personnel at safety and backers.

I am disappointed in Billings. He is not having a strong regular season at this point. Geno is getting double teamed Triple teamed. He needs help.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 02:36 AM)The Caped Crusader Wrote: Somehow, some way, Dalton is taking the blame for this. To me, that's inexcusable. Guys, the job of the offense is to score. Period. Point blank. The job of the defense is to prevent that score. Time remaining is irrelevant. That falls on one unit NOT doing their job.

Rep!  The millionaires on the D side need to do their job too.  Had the O not scored everybody would be all over them for wasting too much time on earlier downs.  This is the same as the Carolina game.  Knew they had to stop mcafery and newton and let them run wild.
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 03:51 AM)bengal kitten uk Wrote: I have no idea how you claim that clock management didn't lose the game.  It did.

Kansas City just did exactly the same thing, btw.  You don't score too fast and give an elite offense an age to simply score a field goal.  You just don't.  

Honestly, our defense should have just let the Steelers score straight away and given the ball back to the offense with 1 minute to score again.  Defense is dead in the NFL right now.  43-40 lol.

No. It didn't. Simple as that.

Rodgers was third and long last night, back at his own, what 19 yard line? Drove down the field for a game winning field goal with less than 45 seconds. No time outs, and two backup receivers in.

Time remaining, as I said, is completely irrelevant.

You take what you can get, and hope the millionaires on the other side are ready to do their job. Clearly, they weren't. They allowed huge chunks of play down the middle, and Pittsburgh to advance. Blaming the offense is just ridiculous. 

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(10-15-2018, 04:38 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Time remaining isn't irrelevant. The defense didn't do the job but the offense could have done more. All they talked about in the post game against Atlanta was how they didn't want to leave much time on the clock for Ryan to work. They were completely under control on that last drive and had plenty of time. 

If you need a TD you score when you have the chance period. What happens if you run it to under 10 seconds and then have an injury with no TO's? We had to have a TD to win and the offense did their job , period. The defense let the Bengals down , yes but the Steelers had a hell of a lot of help. We should have had them at 4th and 10 outside of FG range but they called a bogus holding on Dre K. and conveniently forgot the rules a couple of seconds later. I will take having the lead and 4th and 10 on the other team any day. Not only that, the defense had stopped the Steelers. They only had put up 6 points in the half until that point. If its so easy why did the Steelers leave us 3+ minutes on the clock? Why didnt they just run the time out?
Reply/Quote
(10-14-2018, 09:15 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I was at the game and didn't even celebrate Mixons TD because I knew there was too much time left on the clock and that the Steelers would drive the field and score. I've seen this movie before.

Why the Bengals didn't try and run more clock is beyond me. AJ runs out of bounds on an out route. Andy snaps the ball with 18 seconds left on the play clock. It's just ridiculous.

A peewee football coach could have told marvin that going up by 1 point with 1 min 20 sec left was essentially losing the game.
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 03:38 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: If you need a TD you score when you have the chance period. What happens if you run it to under 10 seconds and then have an injury with no TO's? We had to have a TD to win and the offense did their job , period. The defense let the Bengals down , yes but the Steelers had a hell of a lot of help. We should have had them at 4th and 10 outside of FG range but they called a bogus holding on Dre K. and conveniently forgot the rules a couple of seconds later. I will take having the lead and 4th and 10 on the other team any day. Not only that, the defense had stopped the Steelers. They only had put up 6 points in the half until that point. If its so easy why did the Steelers leave us 3+ minutes on the clock? Why didnt they just run the time out?

Such silliness...

There was plenty of time on the clock and they had 2 timeouts. Bengals were inside the steelers 40 at the 2:00 warning. Dave Lapham agrees and Mo Eggar agrees. 

[Image: willy-wonka-good-day-sir.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-16-2018, 03:38 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: If you need a TD you score when you have the chance period. What happens if you run it to under 10 seconds and then have an injury with no TO's? We had to have a TD to win and the offense did their job , period. The defense let the Bengals down , yes but the Steelers had a hell of a lot of help. We should have had them at 4th and 10 outside of FG range but they called a bogus holding on Dre K. and conveniently forgot the rules a couple of seconds later. I will take having the lead and 4th and 10 on the other team any day. Not only that, the defense had stopped the Steelers. They only had put up 6 points in the half until that point. If its so easy why did the Steelers leave us 3+ minutes on the clock? Why didnt they just run the time out?

Agree 100%. Running some more time off would have been nice but we needed a TD and you have to get it no matter how fast and leave it to the D to hold them.
[Image: hFcJI4.png]
Reply/Quote