Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I know it’s preseason but my hype for the season died a little
(08-19-2018, 12:17 AM)Shady Wrote: Same here. Again, it's preseason. Keep in mind too, that we were more vanilla than vanilla on offense. Again, field position played into it, but you're right. The OLine is still garbage on the right side (Hart almost got Andy killed on one play), and nothing special on the left side. Just meh.

Thought he false started on that play as well and still got beat. 

Not totally giving up on Hart but it is time to part ways with OG. 

Starters stunk but depth is there. Sure wish we would have drafted another OL in 2nd round though.

Or at least a good sleeper in 4th or 5th. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 10:01 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: It's preseason. That was easily the most vanilla preseason game I've seen, on both sides of the ball. I kept pointing back to the 2015 Tampa Bay preseason game in the game thread, mostly trying to calm myself down. However, a few things concerned me.

Coach Austin's defense gave me flashbacks to chuck bresnahans soft, hands-off shit defense. Both of these DC's appear to want to live and die by the turnover, so we can only hope we didn't hire Bresnahan 2.0 once the games get real.

Obviously, the offensive line looked horrific (OG and Hart should both be cut immediately), but that's not a real surprise. Tossing PA aside was nice and all, but for the most part the OLine is still a work in progress. I fully expect the OLine to be a major weakness for the third year in a row. God only knows why his team continues to try and shove square pegs into round holes (i.e. Keeping scrubs like OG and Hart around).

No kicker competition? Are you kidding me?? Brown looks every bit the part. How you won't even give him a fair shot makes absolutely no sense.

Marv is looking and sounding exactly how he did last year. Unmotivated, clueless... Going through the motions (and the buffet line for thirds and fourths).

Could be a long year, folks.
Explain what Bullock has done that warrants a change in the kicker.. not what Brown has done but what Bullock has done to actually consider cutting him... 
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 01:34 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote: Explain what Bullock has done that warrants a change in the kicker.. not what Brown has done but what Bullock has done to actually consider cutting him... 

Browns better that's what warrants it.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 12:10 AM)Trademark Wrote: Our starting o line looked like absolute trash and our starting defense didn’t look that great either. Again, I know it’s preseason. But our starters didn’t look great except for our D-line

I may watch the Browns play game #3 preseason instead of us to see where they stand, I  want no surprises this season when they play us. Attitude
Reply/Quote
The Steelers just had a fifty-burger hung on them. They aren’t panicking.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 12:36 AM)bfine32 Wrote: A bad performance in PS can be better than a good one

Agree, learn wekanesses and strengths in preseason
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Smart money says take pre season performances with a grain of salt. Don't get too pumped when it looks good or too disgusted when it doesn't.

I will say, though, we don't play the Cowboys worth a damn.

I will also say, pick a starting OLine and be done with it. They need time to develop chemistry and cohesion as a unit and you can't do that with guys running in and out on every play.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 01:39 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Browns better that's what warrants it.

Better? Really? What's his percentage in real games??? You can say he has a stronger leg, but to say he is "better" is just plain poppycock...
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 07:19 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Better? Really? What's his percentage in real games??? You can say he has a stronger leg, but to say he is "better" is just plain poppycock...

Then why was Iloka cut? If only regular season games matter he shouldn't ha e been cut for an unproven rookie either.
Reply/Quote
You said it yourself it's preseason. Don't get to broke up about it.

The only thing I'm truly concerned over is what they gonna do about RT ? Fisher ?
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 07:19 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Better? Really? What's his percentage in real games??? You can say he has a stronger leg, but to say he is "better" is just plain poppycock...

He hits the ball harder, straighter, truer.  They've been working on him a couple years now and he just might be ready.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 09:46 PM)McC Wrote: He hits the ball harder, straighter, truer.  They've been working on him a couple years now and he just might be ready.

Right.... "might".... if we cut Bullock and Brown tanks on the big stage, then what?
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 12:10 AM)Trademark Wrote: Our starting o line looked like absolute trash and our starting defense didn’t look that great either. Again, I know it’s preseason. But our starters didn’t look great except for our D-line
Its just pre season no I kid, yes they were horrible and yes Im concerned, however Eifert and Burfict did not play. Bates is now defacto starter, can you say" Ball hawk". Mj will hopefully be cut as he is entirely ineffective, Most of are troubles stemmed from that right guard spot, UHHH at least Hart was getting beat by all pro's, Giants fans did say good luck with Hart he is complete trash. Oh well, we might trade for a RT, since Andy needs protection to be effective and we did get some cap space from Iloka cut.
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 12:36 AM)bfine32 Wrote: A bad performance in PS can be better than a good one

Yep, like the Tampa debacle a few years back.

My hype for the season is still exactly where it started after the coaching moves and trades/signings/draft.  This is around a 9-7 ball club.  There are still a few missing pieces that will need added next offseason to complete the puzzle.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 10:01 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: It's preseason. That was easily the most vanilla preseason game I've seen, on both sides of the ball. I kept pointing back to the 2015 Tampa Bay preseason game in the game thread, mostly trying to calm myself down. However, a few things concerned me.

Coach Austin's defense gave me flashbacks to chuck bresnahans soft, hands-off shit defense. Both of these DC's appear to want to live and die by the turnover, so we can only hope we didn't hire Bresnahan 2.0 once the games get real.

Obviously, the offensive line looked horrific (OG and Hart should both be cut immediately), but that's not a real surprise. Tossing PA aside was nice and all, but for the most part the OLine is still a work in progress. I fully expect the OLine to be a major weakness for the third year in a row. God only knows why his team continues to try and shove square pegs into round holes (i.e. Keeping scrubs like OG and Hart around).

No kicker competition? Are you kidding me?? Brown looks every bit the part. How you won't even give him a fair shot makes absolutely no sense.

Marv is looking and sounding exactly how he did last year. Unmotivated, clueless... Going through the motions (and the buffet line for thirds and fourths).

Could be a long year, folks.

I dunno man, did you watch the Chargers/Raiders tilt?  That shit put me to sleep!

Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 10:12 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: They will have a ton of film to watch this week and correct some things. Overall, they did look weak. I am impressed with how good the tackling has improved.

Is it just me, or is it getting better league wide?  GASP!  All of the doomsdayers said not spearing would ruin the game!  Turns out, going back to fundamentally sound tackling with your eyes up, following the numbers of the ball carrier and making a proper form tackle versus launching from 5 yards away like a human missile actually improves defensive play!  Who'da thunk it? Ninja

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 08:52 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Right.... "might".... if we cut Bullock and Brown tanks on the big stage, then what?

Brown's kick from 55 split the uprights, and is good from at least 60, if not 65.  Bullock doesn't hit a kick like that on the best day of his entire life.  He won on competition last season, and if Brown keeps this up, he should be the one that wins out this year.

Reply/Quote
(08-20-2018, 08:52 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Right.... "might".... if we cut Bullock and Brown tanks on the big stage, then what?

Then you call Randy and he wipes the Cheetos dust off his hands, gets up off the couch and comes out and kicks.

Reply/Quote
Just a pre-season game. Our 1st team did not look great, but if Andy hits AJ those two throws it could have been totally different. Most games are decided by a handful of plays. We need to make them.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote

they run just the basic of the basic plays....   the OL is still working to gel.. That's what this time is for.

They got some more weeks to figure it all out...   Its Preseason...  were records mean nothing.       The OL didn't play well but that gives them good tape to work on with the new coach.
Reply/Quote