Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I know it’s preseason but my hype for the season died a little
(08-19-2018, 08:42 PM)mallorian69 Wrote: Then why was Iloka cut? If only regular season games matter he shouldn't ha e been cut for an unproven rookie either.

Iloka was cut based on his in-season performance over the last couple of years.  Solid player but not a play maker, never has been.  They needed to get more ball hawking players in the back end, period.

Additionally, I don't think the new helmet rule helped him.  Iloka was always known as a hitter, which is good.  But when you're 6'4" hitting a bunch of people smaller than you you have no choice but to duck your head.  That no longer works in the NFL as it costs your team 15 yards.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 01:03 AM)bengaltruth Wrote: Its just pre season no I kid, yes they were horrible and yes Im concerned, however Eifert and Burfict did not play. Bates is now defacto starter, can you say" Ball hawk". Mj will hopefully be cut as he is entirely ineffective, Most of are troubles stemmed from that right guard spot, UHHH at least Hart was getting beat by all pro's, Giants fans did say good luck with Hart he is complete trash. Oh well, we might trade for a RT, since Andy needs protection to be effective and we did get some cap space from Iloka cut.

I know fans are concerned about Eifert ability to stay healthy on the field. But the approach they are taking, make no mistake he could playing right now in games. They are saving him for game number 1 in Indy it appears. Eifert is a top 5 TE when healthy behind Gronk and Kelcie in my opinion and as good as Ertz and everyone else.

It is huge if Eifert can stay on the field for our offense.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2018, 09:21 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I know fans are concerned about Eifert ability to stay healthy on the field. But the approach they are taking, make no mistake he could playing right now in games. They are saving him for game number 1 in Indy it appears. Eifert is a top 5 TE when healthy behind Gronk and Kelcie in my opinion and as good as Ertz and everyone else.

It is huge if Eifert can stay on the field for our offense.

Kyle Rudolph ain't no slouch either.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Go Cards Wrote:Thought he false started on that play as well and still got beat. 

Not totally giving up on Hart but it is time to part ways with OG. 

Starters stunk but depth is there. Sure wish we would have drafted another OL in 2nd round though.

Or at least a good sleeper in 4th or 5th. 

That's what was frustrating is they don't even have the silver lining of developing a quality raw player, we're finding ourselves celebrating that a guy like Fisher is even useful as a backup LT.

The sky isn't falling, but the Bengals have to accept that they're desperate....period.  It doesn't matter if that puts them in a vulnerable spot in negotiations for a trade (Ty Nsekhe) or spending a few more bucks on a street FA/cut player, it has to happen.  They CAN'T start the season with two question marks on the right side.  We went into the offseason with the attitude that someone would step up and it hasn't happened.  Whoever comes in after this game will have to learn the system very quickly, so for a few weeks in any scenario they're stuck with lesser of the evils like Hopkins and Hart.  I'm fine with that, provided that we have a chance at stability a month later.  Muddle through .500 ball and hopefully the playmakers get us to scratch into the playoffs.  
Reply/Quote
(08-21-2018, 09:09 AM)Wyche Wrote: Brown's kick from 55 split the uprights, and is good from at least 60, if not 65.  Bullock doesn't hit a kick like that on the best day of his entire life.  He won on competition last season, and if Brown keeps this up, he should be the one that wins out this year.

I doubt that will happen, even though I wish it would.  Brown has clearly got the stronger leg.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
The offensive line is still trash and it will be the downfall of this team. We have 1 proven good offensive lineman, other than that its either crap or a complete question mark.

John Ross is also giving me doubts. I think he will be an OK piece, but not nearly the guy we all hoped and expected him to be. Im worried about our receiving corps.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 03:13 AM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Overaction much?
We're better on the offensive line then we were last year with the addition of Price and Glenn. The right side needs some work still but I think Westerman and Hopkins could answer those problems or at least make  it average.
LB looks a lot better than last season, D line is deep, we have good corners, and Solid safeties on defense.
Offensively- solid left side of the line but the right side is bad . however we have a very good Qb in Andy, deep WR core, and deep RBs. We're a playoff and super bowl caliber team still.

How is it an overreaction? Did you see this offensive line the past couple of seasons? Glenn is a nice addition but Price is a complete unknown. He was a first round pick, yeah, but so what Ced. Other than that its the same guys being ran out there. 
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2018, 11:25 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: How is it an overreaction? Did you see this offensive line the past couple of seasons? Glenn is a nice addition but Price is a complete unknown. He was a first round pick, yeah, but so what Ced. Other than that its the same guys being ran out there. 

I hear ya.  Remember, we replaced those old, over-priced bums Zietler and Whitworth with young talented draft picks and thought we were in the clear, too.  Time will tell, but so far so uh-oh.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2018, 11:30 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I hear ya.  Remember, we replaced those old, over-priced bums Zietler and Whitworth with young talented draft picks and thought we were in the clear, too.  Time will tell, but so far so uh-oh.

Pretty much. People assume that just because a guy was taken in the first rounds means its an upgrade and hes going to be a pro bowl caliber players. That's not the way it works. 

It may work out like that, but it may not. 
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2018, 11:22 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The offensive line is still trash and it will be the downfall of this team. We have 1 proven good offensive lineman, other than that its either crap or a complete question mark.

John Ross is also giving me doubts. I think he will be an OK piece, but not nearly the guy we all hoped and expected him to be. Im worried about our receiving corps.

Not as concerned about WR's as you. Even though still not sure about Ross and definitely was disappointed we drafted him in lieu of O-line help. 

Yet think he will at least a good decoy and like what I have seen from Boyd (minus fumble) and Tate. Plus have big hope for Malone. 

But share your view on OL and sure hope somebody serviceable gets beat out in camp this year and cut for cap space for Bengals to scoop up. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Believe Uzomah is in for a big year too and if Eifert does anything it will be frosting for the cake.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2018, 11:41 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Believe Uzomah is in for a big year too and if Eifert does anything it will be frosting for the cake.

I know it's just his build, and it's deceiving, but Good Lord, when CJ runs it looks like he's running in molasses...
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2018, 01:06 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I know it's just his build, and it's deceiving, but Good Lord, when CJ runs it looks like he's running in molasses...

LOL

I know what you mean!

He's a smooth operator.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-19-2018, 12:10 AM)Trademark Wrote: Our starting o line looked like absolute trash and our starting defense didn’t look that great either. Again, I know it’s preseason. But our starters didn’t look great except for our D-line

Stayed away from this thread for awhile to avoid getting depressed and now after analyzing the game i thought
people were overreacting. RT is the problem clearly but Hart was going against one of the best Ends in the game.

We still have time to pickup a RT if he is not the answer. Clearly Og is not and needs to be cut to make room.

Bring in Alex Boone who is a versatile big Lineman and the roster will be instantly improved.

Loved how Billings played pretty good against one of the best interior fronts in the NFL. He should only get better
against worse fronts. Hubbard and Willis are looking great, so is Lawson no surprise. Bates is a stud rookie already.

We will know something about the Offense against the Bills when they have a chance to get into a rhythm.
Reply/Quote
I am so over CO, I just want him gone, even though it would not really free up any money. ALl he's doing is taking snaps away from the others who could definitely use them. I say trash him, and if they need another Oline body move Josh Topou to the Oline. He played it well in HS with all state honors at guard. He can't be any worse than CO, and he's not going to make the Dline.....
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2018, 04:55 PM)Sled21 Wrote: I am so over CO, I just want him gone, even though it would not really free up any money. ALl he's doing is taking snaps away from the others who could definitely use them. I say trash him, and if they need another Oline body move Josh Topou to the Oline. He played it well in HS with all state honors at guard. He can't be any worse than CO, and he's not going to make the Dline.....

That is a nice thought about Topou. Didn't know he played Guard in High School.

It sure wouldn't be easy to push that guy around. What does he weigh again, like 350 or so?
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2018, 11:22 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: The offensive line is still trash and it will be the downfall of this team. We have 1 proven good offensive lineman, other than that its either crap or a complete question mark.

We have 2. Boling and Glenn are both proven and capable starters.

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2018, 08:46 AM)Daddy-O Wrote: Iloka was cut based on his in-season performance over the last couple of years.  Solid player but not a play maker, never has been.  They needed to get more ball hawking players in the back end, period.

Additionally, I don't think the new helmet rule helped him.  Iloka was always known as a hitter, which is good.  But when you're 6'4" hitting a bunch of people smaller than you you have no choice but to duck your head.  That no longer works in the NFL as it costs your team 15 yards.

If he was never a play maker why did they sign him to such a rich deal? Same with Dre, good player but not worth the $9M or whatever we pay him, seriously overpaid. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2018, 11:41 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Believe Uzomah is in for a big year too and if Eifert does anything it will be frosting for the cake.

No one says this but other than Green, our TE's are better than our other WRs.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2018, 10:56 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: No one says this but other than Green, our TE's are better than our other WRs.

No one says it because it’s not true. If you’re going to say other than Green you have to say other than Eifert, and behind Eifert all we have is Kroft (who is solid but so is Boyd). Uzomah has shown very little so far, imo.

Reply/Quote