Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 2.4 Average
I like when the Cincinnati Bengals win football Games
I don't look at it as a bad thing in any aspect.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 12:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't look at it as a bad thing in any aspect.

Yeah, it hasn't happened a lot lately, so you take what you can get.  I had to go through some bargaining in my head on Monday to convince myself that rooting for a win was okay, despite it possibly meaning that Taylor and crew would be safe or, to put it more accurately, "more safe".  

Draft position doesn't matter to me as much as some.  Getting hung up on one player is a road to disappointment.  There's no guarantee that they'll take Sewell or whoever the fan favorite is regardless of where we draft.  There are many needs here and plenty of options.  

If they win another game or two, the perhaps the staff has turned a corner.  I'm not a fan of Taylor or Lou, but if they've finally begun to see their plan take root and bear fruit, then that's not a bad thing.  I guess we'll see how it all goes.....
Reply/Quote
It's not bad. It's just 3.5 wins is still pathetic. They need to win ALOT more.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 12:37 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I don't look at it as a bad thing in any aspect.

I am kind of thinking about the Dolphins from last year.  The "tank for Tua" ended up working even though they didn't tank.  They still had a good draft despite winning games at the end of the season and they carried that momentum in to this season.
Reply/Quote
I'm all about wins... Monday night was entertaining, exciting, and brought back memories of the Bengals being a competitive team... Even if it wasn't pretty. Zac isn't going anywhere, and there's more than 3 really good players in the upcoming draft. I haven't checked for myself, but I'm sure there are. I hope we beat the brakes off Houston this week.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Me too. I’d rather be a little more confident in Zacs coaching going into next year than maintaining tge 3rd overall. Even if we get tge 4th or 5th pick, getting chase or Parsons or one of the top 2 cbs is hardly a consolation
Reply/Quote
It is hard to just root for draft order. Sewell's availability might be less now. He could go second. That's sort of bad news. But the good news is there going to be elite players still there in the top ten.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 12:51 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: I am kind of thinking about the Dolphins from last year.  The "tank for Tua" ended up working even though they didn't tank.  They still had a good draft despite winning games at the end of the season and they carried that momentum in to this season.

Three firsts and two or three seconds, they should have had a good draft. Hell, they're getting possibly a top five pick again this year.

A lot of people keep comparing the bengals to the dolphins, but there isn't any comparison for how miami has managed the roster, cap, and draft the last couple years. They took a dysfunctional team, got rid of players, took chances on trades, and rebuilt things quickly. It's working for them. I wish we had management that would do the same here instead of just trying to throw things in a pot and see what comes out.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 02:45 PM)Goalpost Wrote: It is hard to just root for draft order. Sewell's availability might be less now. He could go second. That's sort of bad news. But the good news is there going to be elite players still there in the top ten.

Also understand that there are good and maybe elite tackles in this class that aren’t named Sewell too. Would you be upset if we drafted Parsons or Chase/Leatherwood or the best IOL in the 2nd? I think I would be happy with it especially if we get a good lineman in FA.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 03:00 PM)Benton Wrote: Three firsts and two or three seconds, they should have had a good draft. Hell, they're getting possibly a top five pick again this year.

A lot of people keep comparing the bengals to the dolphins, but there isn't any comparison for how miami has managed the roster, cap, and draft the last couple years. They took a dysfunctional team, got rid of players, took chances on trades, and rebuilt things quickly. It's working for them. I wish we had management that would do the same here instead of just trying to throw things in a pot and see what comes out.

You are correct, sir.

The Bengals didn't go all in....that would have included getting what you could for Dunlap, Green, Atkins, etc. last year.  They didn't.  They thought with a new QB, the few moves in FA and a solid draft would make them competitive.  It didn't.  I hope they realize their mistake (insert nasty comments about the history of the franchise and never learning from their mistakes) and move on from the last of the "old guard" and finish the rebuild. 

I am in the camp (I am not sure it is a popular camp) that believes the team can be very good NEXT YEAR with just a few more pieces.  

My point of bringing up the Dolphins isn't so much comparing rebuilds, but just the point of how they could have had Burrow or a much higher first pick but they won some games down the stretch and it didn't really hurt their draft stock in the end.  They ended up getting their QB anyways.

Maybe the Bengals lose Sewell, and maybe they are not offered a haul of picks from a QB-starved team (which I would love) but if they are able to build some momentum and have a nice finish to end the season it could have a positive effect on the buy-in from the younger players.  

I think it is all academic as I doubt they win either of the last two games.  Finley caught lightening in a bottle that night and it is unlikely to work again.  Boyd appears to be out injured, as are a few other key players.  The Texans are not a good team, but Deshawn Watson at home will still be hard to stop and I would imagine the Bengals won't score a lot.  
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 12:50 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: It's not bad. It's just 3.5 wins is still pathetic. They need to win ALOT more.

have to start somewhere correct ??
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 12:49 PM)samhain Wrote: Yeah, it hasn't happened a lot lately, so you take what you can get.  I had to go through some bargaining in my head on Monday to convince myself that rooting for a win was okay, despite it possibly meaning that Taylor and crew would be safe or, to put it more accurately, "more safe".  

Draft position doesn't matter to me as much as some.  Getting hung up on one player is a road to disappointment.  There's no guarantee that they'll take Sewell or whoever the fan favorite is regardless of where we draft.  There are many needs here and plenty of options.  

If they win another game or two, the perhaps the staff has turned a corner.  I'm not a fan of Taylor or Lou, but if they've finally begun to see their plan take root and bear fruit, then that's not a bad thing.  I guess we'll see how it all goes.....

Too many folks are obsessed with chasing the future, they never have time to enjoy the present. 

A couple years back when we were making playoffs folks got mad because it gave Mikey an excuse to "settle for mediocrity", They wanted to "blow it up"

When we started losing under Marvin each win was looked at as an "excuse to keep Marvin"

Last year we hoped for loses so we could draft Joe Burrow

This year win hope for losses so we can fire Zac and draft the only OT coming out next year

I'm just more of a meat and potatoes type guy. Give me a steak, a beer, and a victory and I'm  happy. Tomorrow is not promised and will take care of itself upon arrival. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 04:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Too many folks are obsessed with chasing the future, they never have time to enjoy the present. 

A couple years back when we were making playoffs folks got mad because it gave Mikey an excuse to "settle for mediocrity", They wanted to "blow it up"

When we started losing under Marvin each win was looked at as an "excuse to keep Marvin"

Last year we hoped for loses so we could draft Joe Burrow

This year win hope for losses so we can fire Zac and draft the only OT coming out next year

I'm just more of a meat and potatoes type guy. Give me a steak, a beer, and a victory and I'm  happy. Tomorrow is not promised and will take care of itself upon arrival. 

IMO Rooting to tank is typically not worth it unless a 1OA spot is available and you need a franchise QB. There is no guarantee the guy at 2 will be better than the guy taken at 3, 4, 15, 22, etc etc.

It’s very possible Sewell is another bust and that there will be a better tackle in the draft who will be drafted far later.

So to me, we have our franchise QB and the difference from pick 3 to pick 10 isn’t significant enough to be mad over a win.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 03:53 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: You are correct, sir.

The Bengals didn't go all in....that would have included getting what you could for Dunlap, Green, Atkins, etc. last year.  They didn't.  They thought with a new QB, the few moves in FA and a solid draft would make them competitive.  It didn't.  I hope they realize their mistake (insert nasty comments about the history of the franchise and never learning from their mistakes) and move on from the last of the "old guard" and finish the rebuild. 

I am in the camp (I am not sure it is a popular camp) that believes the team can be very good NEXT YEAR with just a few more pieces.  

My point of bringing up the Dolphins isn't so much comparing rebuilds, but just the point of how they could have had Burrow or a much higher first pick but they won some games down the stretch and it didn't really hurt their draft stock in the end.  They ended up getting their QB anyways.

Maybe the Bengals lose Sewell, and maybe they are not offered a haul of picks from a QB-starved team (which I would love) but if they are able to build some momentum and have a nice finish to end the season it could have a positive effect on the buy-in from the younger players.  

I think it is all academic as I doubt they win either of the last two games.  Finley caught lightening in a bottle that night and it is unlikely to work again.  Boyd appears to be out injured, as are a few other key players.  The Texans are not a good team, but Deshawn Watson at home will still be hard to stop and I would imagine the Bengals won't score a lot.  

Count me in the same camp.

I think we added some good pieces the last two years and we've gotten rid of some dead weight (and will be getting rid of some more). I really think the right 3-4 players, we will be competitive. But I also think if Joe hadn't gotten injured, we would've been sitting around now with 6-7 wins.
Reply/Quote
I am one who thinks losses would help more than wins now but in reality I can’t too against them during the games. The Steelers game was the most fun I had watching the Bengals in a long time. The combination of their record, QB situation, how unexpected it was and the physical way they played. Made it a great Monday night.
Draft positioning just helps me justify being happy if they do lose. And I am high on Sewell and not as high on Jonah being a great LT - something I think bfine and I disagree on.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 06:35 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I am one who thinks losses would help more than wins now but in reality I can’t too against them during the games. The Steelers game was the most fun I had watching the Bengals in a long time. The combination of their record, QB situation, how unexpected it was and the physical way they played. Made it a great Monday night.
Draft positioning just helps me justify being happy if they do lose.  And I am high on Sewell and not as high on Jonah being a great LT - something I think bfine and I disagree on.

I get it. I do. But at the same time, if we were a bit more savvy with trades, we could follow that Dolphin model. Get rid of talented guys who don't fit your scheme and grab picks or free agents who do.

Take the Dunlap trade. We got Finney (yay?) and a seventh round pick. The Phins probably would have parlayed Dunlap into a decent pick or someone who might have actually made an impact here. Instead, we took the bare minimum just to get something. At this point, I'd be hitting up used car lots for GMs. It's better than what we've got now.
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 04:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Too many folks are obsessed with chasing the future, they never have time to enjoy the present. 

Yeah, because there's been so much to enjoy this season. Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 07:06 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Yeah, because there's been so much to enjoy this season. Rolleyes

yes, we thought Burrow would give us more presents
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 06:35 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: I am one who thinks losses would help more than wins now but in reality I can’t too against them during the games. The Steelers game was the most fun I had watching the Bengals in a long time. The combination of their record, QB situation, how unexpected it was and the physical way they played. Made it a great Monday night.
Draft positioning just helps me justify being happy if they do lose.  And I am high on Sewell and not as high on Jonah being a great LT - something I think bfine and I disagree on.

for a bad line Williams played well.. Sewell looks the part but as we know the NFL is not College so there is always that variable you worry about till they play on the Professional level
Reply/Quote
(12-25-2020, 05:35 PM)Benton Wrote: But I also think if Joe hadn't gotten injured, we would've been sitting around now with 6-7 wins.

If Joe hadn't gotten injured, that would have meant the Bengals suddenly had a better OL than they actually have. So yes, a healthy Burrow and a better OL would have results in 6-7 wins.

The Bengals aren't a bad team because Burrow got hurt. Burrow got hurt because they are a bad team.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote