Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm a homer. Bring me back to reality, because I'm falling for it again!
Year after year I convince myself that this is the year that the Bengals make the leap. And year after year the season ends with a definitive thud of reality. But I'm looking at this team realistically and not seeing why this year couldn't be the year. The year a corner is turned and this team not only is in the playoffs, but winning some games. So tell me where I'm wrong in my rose colored view of the team as it stands.

QB: B. Last time this team had healthy weapons and a decent offensive line number 14 had a great year. I believe he can do that again. He has to stay healthy though because the options behind him are scary.

RB: B+. Mixon could be an absolute stud, and Gio is still a dangerous guy with playmaking ability.

TE: B+ Eifert playing even 10 to 12 games and Kroft? That's a great tight end duo. Obviously health is key, but Eifert IS playing right now. So my optimism seems warranted.

OL: C- This grade is just below average. I don't see the line being a F anymore. We have a lot of young guys, and there is really no way to see how they will shape up. But apparently Ced is still bring abused in practice and standing out as the poorest lineman, and we we're counting on him to be our LT(!!!) last year! The line doesn't have to be great. Just average with the weaponry we have.

WR: B AJ Green automatically gives you a B. He's a top 5 receiver. And there is a plethora of young talent with top notch athleticism. Boyd, Malone, Ross, Tate as a red zone threat? The fact that they cut Lafell tells me the young guys are REALLY coming along. Red zone sets with Tate, Green, Eifert and Ross would be lethal.

DL. A Dunlap, Atkins and Lawson on passing downs? Oh my. Lawson looks like he has the ability to be the best edge rusher we've had in forever. Willis looks impressive. Billings stepping up and reaching his potential would be huge

LBs. D This is the weak spot to me. Burfict is a great linebacker when he is healthy and motivated (and my favorite player in the league to watch play) and not suspended. Brooks looks to be a solid backer. The rest are very meh. Someone will have to step up between Vigil, Jefferson and Evans.

CBs B+. We have arguably the best young CB in football. Solid vets rounding out the rest of the unit. Dre Isn't great, but he's probably the 3rd best corner on the team which he's certainly capable of filling that role.

S. C Iloka and Williams are average vets. Bates may be starting sooner than later.

We added the OL coach of probably the best OL in football, the QB coach of perhaps the best QB in football and a DC that preaches what we've wanted the Bengals to do for years...get the ball get the ball get the ball.

The national media understandably discounts this team any opportunity they have. And the thing is it's usually a narrative of the Head Coach is still there and so is the QB. Well I see all new coordinators and serious talent at every single level of the team. And some serious YOUNG talent.

So please, dispel my notions. Don't allow me to trick myself this year like I have so many times. Bring me back down to earth before the cold hard reality of Bengals football always seems to as the season progresses.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 05:56 PM)Brimey Wrote: Year after year I convince myself that this is the year that the Bengals make the leap. And year after year the season ends with a definitive thud of reality. But I'm looking at this team realistically and not seeing why this year couldn't be the year. The year a corner is turned and this team not only is in the playoffs, but winning some games. So tell me where I'm wrong in my rose colored view of the team as it stands.

QB: B.    Last time this team had healthy weapons and a decent offensive line number 14 had a great year. I believe he can do that again. He has to stay healthy though because the options behind him are scary.

RB: B+.  Mixon could be an absolute stud, and Gio is still a dangerous guy with playmaking ability.

TE: B+ Eifert playing even 10 to 12 games and Kroft? That's a great tight end duo. Obviously health is key, but Eifert IS playing right now. So my optimism seems warranted.

OL: C-  This grade is just below average. I don't see the line being a F anymore. We have a lot of young guys, and there is really no way to see how they will shape up. But apparently Ced is still bring abused in practice and standing out as the poorest lineman, and we we're counting on him to be our LT(!!!) last year! The line doesn't have to be great. Just average with the weaponry we have.

WR: B AJ Green automatically gives you a B. He's a top 5 receiver. And there is a plethora of young talent with top notch athleticism. Boyd, Malone, Ross, Tate as a red zone threat? The fact that they cut Lafell tells me the young guys are REALLY coming along. Red zone sets with Tate, Green, Eifert and Ross would be lethal.

DL. A  Dunlap, Atkins and Lawson on passing downs? Oh my. Lawson looks like he has the ability to be the best edge rusher we've had in forever. Willis looks impressive. Billings stepping up and reaching his potential would be huge

LBs. D This is the weak spot to me. Burfict is a great linebacker when he is healthy and motivated (and my favorite player in the league to watch play) and not suspended. Brooks looks to be a solid backer. The rest are very meh. Someone will have to step up between Vigil, Jefferson and Evans.

CBs B+. We have arguably the best young CB in football. Solid vets rounding out the rest of the unit. Dre Isn't great, but he's probably the 3rd best corner on the team which he's certainly capable of filling that role.

S. C Iloka and Williams are average vets. Bates may be starting sooner than later.

We added the OL coach of probably the best OL in football, the QB coach of perhaps the best QB in football and a DC that preaches what we've wanted the Bengals to do for years...get the ball get the ball get the ball.

The national media understandably discounts this team any opportunity they have. And the thing is it's usually a narrative of the Head Coach is still there and so is the QB. Well I see all new coordinators and serious talent at every single level of the team. And some serious YOUNG talent.

So please, dispel my notions. Don't allow me to trick myself this year like I have so many times. Bring me back down to earth before the cold hard reality of Bengals football always seems to as the season progresses.

Great post and thread Brimey, i agree with your grades for the most part and i agree that Linebacker is the biggest
concern with Burfict being out the first 4 games and Haslett as the coach. I don't care for his coaching the last few
years, the only Backer that has looked good is Burfict. But adding Preston Brown a proven vet in his prime really
should help. Malik is extremely talented and Worley is a smart player. Might not be as bad as i think actually.

With the O-line coming around this team should be really tough and i know you said Og has still been looking bad
but i saw him stand up Dunlap at camp, never thought i would see that. He looked great on that play.

Kind of hard for me to dispel your notions Brimey. Injuries could occur i guess and we might not be deep enough if
that is the case. We will see about our depth this Preseason.

I still have to see this team win a Playoff game under Marv before i believe it i guess is the dispeller.

I believe we win around 12 games and go one and done in the Playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 05:56 PM)Brimey Wrote: CBs B+. We have arguably the best young CB in football. Solid vets rounding out the rest of the unit. Dre Isn't great, but he's probably the 3rd best corner on the team which he's certainly capable of filling that role.

I'm not quite there yet regarding Jackson. I'm not saying he couldn't be what you see in him, I guess he can, but I think calling him the best young CB is a bit premature.

I also have no high hopes for Eifert. Which could make TE a tough spot, which could result in defensive adjustments, which could make life for DAlton et al. more difficult.

Honestly, that's pretty much everything I can do for you. Everything you say is argued solidly in my eyes. I just can say that I personally still see an 8-8 season, maybe that pretty much unfounded pessimism helps you.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I can't help bring you back, I'm chugging the Kool-Aid myself. I agree with Nate, 11 or 12 wins this year and probably 1 and done in the playoffs. But still hoping we can get that monkey off our back.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 05:56 PM)Brimey Wrote: Year after year I convince myself that this is the year that the Bengals make the leap. And year after year the season ends with a definitive thud of reality. But I'm looking at this team realistically and not seeing why this year couldn't be the year. The year a corner is turned and this team not only is in the playoffs, but winning some games. So tell me where I'm wrong in my rose colored view of the team as it stands.

QB: B.    Last time this team had healthy weapons and a decent offensive line number 14 had a great year. I believe he can do that again. He has to stay healthy though because the options behind him are scary.

RB: B+.  Mixon could be an absolute stud, and Gio is still a dangerous guy with playmaking ability.

OL: C-  This grade is just below average. I don't see the line being a F anymore. We have a lot of young guys, and there is really no way to see how they will shape up. But apparently Ced is still bring abused in practice and standing out as the poorest lineman, and we we're counting on him to be our LT(!!!) last year! The line doesn't have to be great. Just average with the weaponry we have.

DL. A  Dunlap, Atkins and Lawson on passing downs? Oh my. Lawson looks like he has the ability to be the best edge rusher we've had in forever. Willis looks impressive. Billings stepping up and reaching his potential would be huge

Sorry, can't help talk you down cuz, as much as I'm trying to prevent it, I'm up on that damn ledge with you.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
7-9. Or 8-8. That’s my prediction for the season. Every year you Orange Kool aid drinkers get my hopes up and I legitimately think we can get over the hill this year. Well you are NOT going to do that to me this year. I’m sticking with that as my season projection. I might even lower it to 4-12 or 5-11 too. Just depends on how injuries go this preseason. I can even see us going 1-15 too and getting the #1 draft pick in next years draft. So really I’m all over the place right now.

I’m also predicting draft season comes around these parts by the middle of October. October 15th to be exact.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 06:25 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: 7-9. Or 8-8.  That’s my prediction for the season.  Every year you Orange Kool aid drinkers get my hopes up and I legitimately think we can get over the hill this year.   Well you are NOT going to do that to me this year.  I’m sticking with that as my season projection.  I might even lower it to 4-12 or 5-11 too.  Just depends on how injuries go this preseason. I can even see us going 1-15 too and getting the #1 draft pick in next years draft.  So really I’m all over the place right now.

I’m also predicting draft season comes around these parts by the middle of October.   October 15th to be exact.

Well that out to bring him down.  You lost me with the 1-15 comment.  
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 06:25 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: 7-9. Or 8-8.  That’s my prediction for the season.  Every year you Orange Kool aid drinkers get my hopes up and I legitimately think we can get over the hill this year.   Well you are NOT going to do that to me this year.  I’m sticking with that as my season projection.  I might even lower it to 4-12 or 5-11 too.  Just depends on how injuries go this preseason. I can even see us going 1-15 too and getting the #1 draft pick in next years draft.  So really I’m all over the place right now.

I

I’m also predicting draft season comes around these parts by the middle of October.   October 15th to be exact.

Sad Jeez man, I said bring me back down to earth, not smash through it's surface and bury me in a coffin with a Steelers logo on the cover. 
Reply/Quote
There's certainly a lot of positives here.   But there are plenty of concerns left.  And the rose colored glasses come off in the first pre-season game.

Here's a little devil's advocate stuff:
  • Price having consistent problems with snaps, and getting blown up.  Granted it's Geno, but you know I don't recall hearing that kind of stuff with Bodine in his first training camp (getting blown up I mean)
  • Lots of lip service by Glenn about Lawson and Geno, but I don't think either has beaten him.  If that's true then they are not doing anything against the only good lineman we have.
  • I've been hearing about a lot of drops from Ross - particularly today, but not just today.
  • Everyone is singing Billings' praises based on 1 play, I've heard nothing about Willis, Hubbard or Johnson - other than Johnson's playing with the ones - which just is disturbing
  • Dre is getting killed by all the receivers, and sounds like Dennard is getting beat like a drum too.  On the other hand none of the receivers are beating WJIII.   I realize it's kind of the glass half full/ empty issue there, but my takeaway is that as good as I believe WJIII is, is he really so good that no one is beating him, or are our receivers overrated?
  • We've had a nice fluff piece on Jefferson.  Other than that it's crickets.  The good news is that Brown and Evans have had some good reports.
  • We have NOTHING for back up QB.  And no word why Woodside is in street clothes.  Is that an injury or punishment for his stupid DUI?
  • No one is really standing out on the right side - especially at the tackle spot.  But there has been no recognition about stand out play by the guard prospects either.
  • Crickets on safety play - particularly our 2nd round pick
  • Phillips sounds flat out terrible - a big disappointment given my expectations before training camp
  • Eifert on the therapy field again - though it sounds scheduled...
I'm not saying that there is not a lot to be encouraged about.   But I don't think it's quite as rosy as everyone in the press has been painting it.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 06:22 PM)hollodero Wrote: I'm not quite there yet regarding Jackson. I'm not saying he couldn't be what you see in him, I guess he can, but I think calling him the best young CB is a bit premature.

I also have no high hopes for Eifert. Which could make TE a tough spot, which could result in defensive adjustments, which could make life for DAlton et al. more difficult.

Honestly, that's pretty much everything I can do for you. Everything you say is argued solidly in my eyes. I just can say that I personally still see an 8-8 season, maybe that pretty much unfounded pessimism helps you.

Yes, there are certainly a lot of ifs in my thinking but most of the seem plausible or even probable. But I'm assuming that

-Dalton is the same guy he was those 11 glorious weeks in 2015
- Mixon is the real deal
- Eifert stays somewhat healthy
-The OL gels
- The young receivers play up to there potential
- Lawson takes the next step
--Billings becomes a decent run stopper
- WJ3 is as good full time as he flashed last year

Lots of ifs. But all of those seem very possible. I remember the Bengals absolutely stomping the Eagles in 2016. And the Bengals stunk themselves that year. A year later? This is the NFL, things can happen quick. Nick Foles was the SB winning QB last year. When the media disparages Dalton and say he's why they have no chance, I think about what they would have said about Foles if he was starting somewhere to start the season
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 06:25 PM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: 7-9. Or 8-8. That’s my prediction for the season. Every year you Orange Kool aid drinkers get my hopes up and I legitimately think we can get over the hill this year. Well you are NOT going to do that to me this year. I’m sticking with that as my season projection. I might even lower it to 4-12 or 5-11 too. Just depends on how injuries go this preseason. I can even see us going 1-15 too and getting the #1 draft pick in next years draft. So really I’m all over the place right now.

I’m also predicting draft season comes around these parts by the middle of October. October 15th to be exact.

I’m at 8-8 or 9-7. Still a lot of questions. The potential is there, but a wise person once told me potential just means “ain’t done it yet”. Gotta prove it when it counts. I do however remain cautiously optimistic that they just may do that this season. Time will tell.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 06:38 PM)3wt Wrote: There's certainly a lot of positives here.   But there are plenty of concerns left.  And the rose colored glasses come off in the first pre-season game.

• Price having consistent problems with snaps, and getting blown up.  Granted it's Geno, but you know I don't recall hearing that kind of stuff with Bodine in his first training camp (getting blown up I mean)
  • Lots of lip service by Glenn about Lawson and Geno, but I don't think either has beaten him.  If that's true then they are not doing anything about the only good lineman we have.
  • I've been hearing about a lot of drops from Ross - particularly today, but not just today.
  • Everyone is singing Billings' praises based on 1 play, I've heard nothing about Willis, Hubbard or Johnson - other than Johnson's playing with the ones - which just is disturbing
  • Dre is getting killed by all the receivers, and sounds like Dennard is getting beat like a drum too.  On the other hand none of the receivers are beating WJIII.   I realize it's kind of the glass half full/ empty issue there, but my takeaway is that as good as I believe WJIII is, is he really so good that no one is beating him, or are our receivers overrated?
  • We've had a nice fluff piece on Jefferson.  Other than that it's crickets.  The good news is that Brown and Evans have had some good reports.
  • We have NOTHING for back up QB.  And no word why Woodside is in street clothes.  Is that an injury or punishment for his stupid DUI?
  • No one is really standing out on the right side - especially at the tackle spot.  But there has been no recognition about stand out play by the guard prospects either.
  • Phillips sounds flat out terrible - a big disappointment given my expectations before training camp
I'm not saying that there is not a lot to be encouraged about.   But I don't think it's quite as rosy as everyone in the press has been painting it.
You know what?  I've always wondered why the hell the devil even deserves an advocate.

J/K.  I think the OLine thing might have a lot to do with shuffling guys in and out.  Once the lineup is decided, I think the picture will come together.  I believe RG is covered.  A couple promising looking guys over there.  RT, worst case scenario, is the weakest link but not atrociously weak.  Weak enough to have to help but not season wrecking bad.  More likely, imo, a decent starter emerges with Pollack's help.

Not saying the line is solved but it in a waaaay better place than it was. 

And, to recap--**** the devil.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 06:38 PM)3wt Wrote: There's certainly a lot of positives here.   But there are plenty of concerns left.  And the rose colored glasses come off in the first pre-season game.

• Lots of lip service by Glenn about Lawson and Geno, but I don't think either has beaten him.  If that's true then they are not doing anything against the only good lineman we have.

Really good post. And I think that does bring me back to earth momentarily, because I think one point youre making is that if the recievers look great, we can't be sure it's not because the corner play stinks etc etc etc

It did sound like Lawson beat Glenn for a sack on Wednesday if I read correctly.
Reply/Quote

Hawk, you have been abused buddy, feel for you. Mellow
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 06:46 PM)McC Wrote: You know what?  I've always wondered why the hell the devil even deserves an advocate.

J/K.  I think the OLine thing might have a lot to do with shuffling guys in and out.  Once the lineup is decided, I think the picture will come together.  I believe RG is covered.  A couple promising looking guys over there.  RT, worst case scenario, is the weakest link but not atrociously weak.  Weak enough to have to help but not season wrecking bad.  More likely, imo, a decent starter emerges with Pollack's help.

Not saying the line is solved but it in a waaaay better place than it was. 

And, to recap--**** the devil.

Thanks McC.   I'd just about painted myself into a corner and was looking for a razor blade!

And agree about the devil.   He's going to have a long eternity.
Reply/Quote
Without a doubt they've improved the team from where we were last season. I'd say it's a fairly safe bet we'll improve our record this season. How much is up to much debate.

Do I think they've fixed enough to become a powerhouse in one season ? I dunno

And I still have very little to no faith M&M can actually lead this team to the promised land !
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 06:47 PM)Brimey Wrote: Really good post. And I think that does bring me back to earth momentarily, because I think one point youre making is that if the recievers look great, we can't be sure it's not because the corner play stinks etc etc etc

It did sound like Lawson beat Glenn for a sack on Wednesday if I read correctly.

Like I said to McC I managed to depress myself in an effort to be realistic.   But I think it's a brighter picture than I painted.   Happy if Lawson beat Glenn.  I really believe Glenn is the real deal.

I'm totally excited about Boyd.   I think he's the receiver that's going to make a significant difference to our offense.

My biggest hopes and fears are tied up in Price.   I really don't want the bubble I've been riding to be burst.
Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 06:52 PM)3wt Wrote: Thanks McC.   I'd just about painted myself into a corner and was looking for a razor blade!

And agree about the devil.   He's going to have a long eternity.

Glad to help.

I think Price will be be fine.  He is too much of a bulldog to fail.  His level of want-to is through the roof and his level of tolerance for failure doesn't even register zero.  He'll will himself to greatness.  He's learning on the fly right now, a couple really big things and doing it with Geno in his face.  Trial by fire.   I like it.  Push him hard right from the start.  

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 06:55 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Without a doubt they've improved the team from where we were last season. I'd say it's a fairly safe bet we'll improve our record this season. How much is up to much debate.

Do I think they've fixed enough to become a powerhouse in one season ? I dunno

And I still have very little to no faith M&M can actually lead this team to the promised land !
I think it'll be the guys M&M have working for them who will lead this team to the promised land.  Marvin has Marvin-proofed his team.

Reply/Quote
(08-02-2018, 06:59 PM)McC Wrote: Glad to help.

I think Price will be be fine.  He is too much of a bulldog to fail.  His level of want-to is through the roof and his level of tolerance for failure doesn't even register zero.  He'll will himself to greatness.  He's learning on the fly right now, a couple really big things and doing it with Geno in his face.  Trial by fire.   I like it.  Push him hard right from the start.  

Spot on with Price, he just needs to clean up his under Center snaps is all.

Geno does that to everybody lol.

He can do it to the best Center in football.

(08-02-2018, 07:02 PM)McC Wrote: I think it'll be the guys M&M have working for them who will lead this team to the promised land.  Marvin has Marvin-proofed his team.

Good point, that is what i am hoping for, with a good running game we can win a Playoff game.

We have the RB's and it sure is sounding like the O-line is the complete opposite of last season and playing aggressive.

Wanting to knock Defenders on their asses. When Glenn gets out on the edge he be scary.
Reply/Quote