Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm gonna get ripped for this lafffell hate.
Makes so much less sense now than before the draft. We now have Ross who should be expected to start day 1, and Malone who looks like a mj clone. Not to mention green, Boyd, core, Erickson, etc. just explain this to me?? Not really a rip on lafell as much as I don't wanna pay 5 million to a wr4/5.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 07:46 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Makes so much less sense now than before the draft. We now have Ross who should be expected to start day 1, and Malone who looks like a mj clone. Not to mention green, Boyd, core, Erickson, etc. just explain this to me?? Not really a rip on lafell as much as I don't wanna pay 5 million to a wr4/5.

LaFell is kind of a hedge, a fallback, a just in case.  I have no problem with him being here.  You know what you're gonna get with him.  It's hard to picture him being here beyond this year, though.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I think LaFell will probably see considerable playing time, and be a huge part of the offense still. The only way I see him phased out is if he is truly out played by Ross.

[Image: tumblr_nmz43uky8c1rtim7ko1_500.gif]

Feel free to support my Film/TV Review YouTube Channel  - Youtube.Com/NaterTot
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 07:52 AM)McC Wrote: LaFell is kind of a hedge, a fallback, a just in case.  I have no problem with him being here.  You know what you're gonna get with him.  It's hard to picture him being here beyond this year, though.

He'll be here for a few more years.

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 07:54 AM)jeremydc Wrote: He'll be here for a few more years.

Agree to disagree.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 07:55 AM)McC Wrote: Agree to disagree.

While this draft signals a change, I'm still scarred by our front office. Every year, there seems to be a one year deal that hinders our younger talent. I'm thinking that'll be Lafell

Reply/Quote
RFecently rookie WRs have been having a bigger impact than they used to, but we all still have to realize that it usually takes a year for aplayer to fully learn and adjust to the NFL game.  So for this year at least i think LaFell is safe.  His NFL experience will probably make him a better receiver than the rookies.

Some people just hated on LaFell so much when we signed him in '16 that they can not stand to admit they were wrong and the front office was right.
Reply/Quote
LaFell is here for several reasons, not the least of which to help Green and the rest learn to be pros. Not that Green is not one of the best in the league already, but he had no one to learn from when he got here....
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:07 AM)Sled21 Wrote: LaFell is here for several reasons, not the least of which to help Green and the rest learn to be pros. Not that Green is not one of the best in the league already, but he had no one to learn from when he got here....

Not sure what this means.  Green knew exactly how to "be a pro" before LaFell ever arrived.  Green has had NFL coaches and veterans around him ever since he came into the league 6 years ago.
Reply/Quote
I think that LaFell will get the boot next year. If not, he gets traded. Takes at least a year for WR to get acclimated. Erickson is the one who is gone.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:07 AM)Sled21 Wrote: LaFell is here for several reasons, not the least of which to help Green and the rest learn to be pros. Not that Green is not one of the best in the league already, but he had no one to learn from when he got here....

This is wild talk.

Reply/Quote
Leave Brandon alone !!

[Image: leave-britney-alone-o.gif]
[Image: tumblr_n25h9a6Cdb1rwjn1ro2_500.gif]
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 10:09 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Not sure what this means.  Green knew exactly how to "be a pro" before LaFell ever arrived.  Green has had NFL coaches and veterans around him ever since he came into the league 6 years ago.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/LaFell-answers-leadership-call/19ca1070-0179-45af-963e-3482361cd10c
Quote:We’ve got to feel good about it with Brandon LaFell,” said head coach Marin Lewis. “(He) was new to us last year who really uplifted the building, the (receivers’) room. He aided in the development of A.J., which is good. A.J. has never had somebody like Brandon LaFell around him. So that was great for A.J. And when A.J. went out, Brandon LaFell raised his level again to fill some of the void.”

Ok... you guys know more than Marvin...
Reply/Quote
LaFell was a solid, consistent contributor last year and earned his contract this year. If the Bengals can find a replacement ST from their draft (likely Brandon Wilson) that can return kicks and punts about as well as Erickson, I think Erickson is gone. Core showed more promise than Erickson as a receiver. They would be worried about exposing Core or Malone to the PS. If LaFell is cut, it likely will come next year, not this year. This will be a good position group to watch through TC and preseason games.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I think LaFell stays for this year, just to be a sort of safety blanket for the receiving corps until Ross can take over as the #2 and Boyd will be the #3/#4.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 07:46 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Makes so much less sense now than before the draft. We now have Ross who should be expected to start day 1, and Malone who looks like a mj clone. Not to mention green, Boyd, core, Erickson, etc. just explain this to me?? Not really a rip on lafell as much as I don't wanna pay 5 million to a wr4/5.

I am going to agree to disagree. I thought LaFell did a solid job in 2016 and glad he is back to help teach the rookies and young guys like Core how to be a professional receiver. He plays all WR positions which is also valuable when injuries occur, and injuries will happen to WR's. It is a long year.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
Who is Lafffell? Is that a new player we signed?
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2017, 11:18 AM)ochocincos Wrote: LaFell was a solid, consistent contributor last year and earned his contract this year. If the Bengals can find a replacement ST from their draft (likely Brandon Wilson) that can return kicks and punts about as well as Erickson, I think Erickson is gone. Core showed more promise than Erickson as a receiver. They would be worried about exposing Core or Malone to the PS. If LaFell is cut, it likely will come next year, not this year. This will be a good position group to watch through TC and preseason games.

I agree with all of this. Add in we have a lot of guys who can be gunners on special teams (Erickson not one of them) and lots of guys who can win a job returning punts and kick offs means Erickson may need an injury to stick. 

I am interested to see how LaFell progresses in an offense year 2 where he will see 1 on 1 match ups every game against 2nd and 3rd corners (AJ, Boyd or Ross will demand 2 best cover them) or slot corners.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
We don't typically start rookie receivers much. Yes, I'm aware about aj.

I'd look for Lafell and aj to start, along with boyD. Ross will probably come for a down or two. But with his injury history, they aren't going to play him much until he gets some team conditioning in.

Lafell is starting most of next year.
Reply/Quote
LaFell developed a good rapport with Andy, and is a vet. That cant be overlooked and is far more important than running a 4.22 forty with limited practices ahead.

Boyd is more of a slot guy. Erickson is more of a fill-in when needed possession receiver, but could end up being more involved. Core wont ever be a starter unless massive injuries occur on whatever team he is on. Malone will battle Core to not be on the practice squad.

AJ & LaFell will be 1 & 2, and dont be shocked if it will be that way by week 17, & not because the coaches are stubborn.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote