Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm happy we lost. Come tell me I'm a bad fan.
(12-09-2018, 11:26 PM)McC Wrote: We just need a shitload of second round picks.

I'll give them the second round

Reply/Quote
My déjà vu has déjà vu
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 11:39 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It's not.

But a new coach is going to want a new QB.

That's how these things work.

And Andy Dalton is neither a spring chicken nor a truly elite QB anyway. How much longer do we want to have to build weapons around our QB in order for him to be better than a below average QB?

If we're getting a top pick now, with Dalton coming off of another injury and hopefully a new coach, this is the perfect time to draft a new QB.

Completely agree with all this. Just depends if there’s one worth taking when we pick. If we have to wait another year we better grab a stud LB or OL.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 11:39 PM)McC Wrote: I figure the Marv Show gets renewed no matter what so I might as well just root for wins.  As to the draft, we'll be right where the handful of top players runs out anyway, so it doesn't matter there either.  Not to mention, how many positions would not be on the first round board?

Now, the DCB doesn't fill me with hope for next year.  What is does is make me ask where the **** has this been.

Yea. I'm not suggesting we reach for a QB.

But if there is a QB there that is deemed worth our selection, I would hope that we at least consider it. I know a new coach would.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 11:54 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Completely agree with all this. Just depends if there’s one worth taking when we pick. If we have to wait another year we better grab a stud LB or OL.

IF we pick Top 10...one of Haskins, Herbert or Lock should be there where we pick.

We'll then need to decide if we want to build the offensive line or take a QB.

I'm kind of partial to taking a QB and letting him set for a year...but we need a lot of help on the offensive line and at LB too.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 12:01 AM)THE PISTONS Wrote: IF we pick Top 10...one of Haskins, Herbert or Lock should be there where we pick.

We'll then need to decide if we want to build the offensive line or take a QB.

I'm kind of partial to taking a QB and letting him set for a year...but we need a lot of help on the offensive line and at LB too.

Sit for a year rarely happens anymore.

I can't picture the Bengals taking QB this year unless some crazy steal situation arises.  

Fix the line first, then get a QB.  Why set him up to fail?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 12:11 AM)McC Wrote: Sit for a year rarely happens anymore.

I can't picture the Bengals taking QB this year unless some crazy steal situation arises.  

Fix the line first, then get a QB.  Why set him up to fail?

Isn’t supposed to be a deep draft at OL? Grab a QB in the 1st and then go OL and LB the rest of the way.

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 12:13 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Isn’t supposed to be a deep draft at OL? Grab a QB in the 1st and then go OL and LB the rest of the way.

Seems like I've heard the QB class isn't that great?  If so, will there be one there for the Bengals to take?  How long will they last?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Losing out is better for the long term health of this franchise. So IMO, you're a bad fan if you're pulling for another dead cat bounce. The only way Marv is MAYBE gone is if we lose out. This will also give the possible future HC better picks to work with. In a lost season, this is what true fans should hope for, imo.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
As I mentioned in another thread, it makes no sense to fight for a playoff spot when your #1QB and WR are out, Your OL is one of the worst in the league, your defense is lethargic and the team is plagued with injuries. All that does is insure us that Marvin will be back and he, along with Hue is nothing but a cancer to this team. Marvin once had magic and was able to field good teams. He's lost it. Football has surpassed him and his abilities. Everything he touches get's worse. The team is still very undisciplined and the organization as a whole is an embarrassment.

Sometimes, as fans, we mimic battered wives syndrome. No matter how bad this organization rips us apart, we continue to hope things will get better and then we die unhappy, demoralizing deaths. It's ok to be a bad fan for the greater good because in the end, you want to see great things happen and have hope. Most of us do. So hoping for losing out is not as bad as it appears in this situation. All winning does is guarantee another year we can't even achieve mediocrity.

Reply/Quote
I want to win every game. I've been through it all with the Bengals since the beginning. And yes, I understand draft order, dead cat bounce, blah blah blah. But what I saw yesterday were players busting their ass to win. If you don't want them to win, you're not a bad fan -- I don't know how you can even call yourself a fan.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 10:54 AM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: I want to win every game.  I've been through it all with the Bengals since the beginning.  And yes, I understand draft order, dead cat bounce, blah blah blah.  But what I saw yesterday were players busting their ass to win.  If you don't want them to win, you're not a bad fan -- I don't know how you can even call yourself a fan.

I understand you emotion, but...
A win yesterday would have just been like the old adage of "win the battle, but lose the war."
For REAL change to even have a TINY SLIVER OF POSSIBILITY, the Bengals MUST lose.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 11:23 PM)Big Boss Wrote: We are not drafting a QB.

^^ This. 

Making sense as an outside observer... seems to be a terrible strategy when it comes to predicting the Bengals core decision makers.  And just last year a team with the #2 pick and an elderly QB took a RB among 5-6 highly hyped QB prospects.  

I still like the Bengals. I still wanted to see the Chargers stuffed. Think about what it means to everyone on the team if you keep losing and losing. You may get a higher pick (probably waste it anyway as drafting is a big issue) but at what cost? Another team with a losing mentality that cant win during prime-time or in the playoffs?
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 10:54 AM)Speedy Thomas Wrote: I want to win every game.  I've been through it all with the Bengals since the beginning.  And yes, I understand draft order, dead cat bounce, blah blah blah.  But what I saw yesterday were players busting their ass to win.  If you don't want them to win, you're not a bad fan -- I don't know how you can even call yourself a fan.

I'm with you, if you play to lose, then you don't belong on the field to begin with. The players yesterday busted their asses for their sake and not because Merv's career was on the line. 
Reply/Quote

That's the difference between some fans. Some root for players/guys and act like we're in the huddle with them.

Others (like me) view it more as an organization with names that change every year. I root for the organization that represents where I was born and raised. That's a good explanation of my fandom. I may care about some of these guys personally, but rarely am I going to get broken hearted for players over losses. These guys are professionals and they can handle losing. Meanwhile, I've been a Bengals fan for 25 years. Ain't no player ever going to put in anything close to that...and most will play for several other teams while we remain Bengals fans. 

So for the most part, I stay emotionally detached from from individual players. They are chess pieces being used to help my team win. Besides, when it comes to long-term Bengals like AJ/Andy/Carlos,Geno, losing out this year will be better for THEM in the long haul, despite the short term sting of these losses.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 12:32 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I'm with you, if you play to lose, then you don't belong on the field to begin with. The players yesterday busted their asses for their sake and not because Merv's career was on the line. 

No one is saying the players should try to lose. Me thinks the point is getting twisted.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 11:39 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: It's not.

But a new coach is going to want a new QB.

That's how these things work.

And Andy Dalton is neither a spring chicken nor a truly elite QB anyway. How much longer do we want to have to build weapons around our QB in order for him to be better than a below average QB?

If we're getting a top pick now, with Dalton coming off of another injury and hopefully a new coach, this is the perfect time to draft a new QB.

Dolphins, Titans, Rams, Giants, Bears, Lions, Buccaneers, Chargers, Steelers, Raiders, Jaguars, Colts.

All these teams have a HC who arrived after the starting QB.

Baker Mayfield and Aaron Rodgers will be the starting QBs for the Browns and Packers next season, despite that they are guaranteed to get new HCs.

So you clearly can't say that a regime change means that we will draft a QB.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 12:36 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: No one is saying the players should try to lose. Me thinks the point is getting twisted.

I don't think it's getting twisted. It's been said over and over "We should lose out". Meaning on purpose for the sake of getting rid of the HC and draft position. Also do you think if we had actually won yesterday, there wouldn't have been post about how we screwed up and secured another season for Merv and dropped us lower in the draft? 
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 12:43 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I don't think it's getting twisted. It's been said over and over "We should lose out". Meaning on purpose for the sake of getting rid of the HC and draft position. Also do you think if we had actually won yesterday, there wouldn't have been post about how we screwed up and secured another season for Merv and dropped us lower in the draft? 

Not sure what fans hoping for losses has to do with your last post:

Quote:I'm with you, if you play to lose, then you don't belong on the field to begin with. The players yesterday busted their asses for their sake and not because Merv's career was on the line. 

We're fans. Not players. This post was definitely getting it twisted.
Reply/Quote
You're not a bad fan. You saying or hoping we lose out has 0 outcome on the game. I hoped they'd win out this year and become SB champs. We see how that worked out. If you think losing out gives you hope for next year and beyond, by all means root for it. It has no impact on the decisions of this team, now or in the future.
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote