Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm happy we lost. Come tell me I'm a bad fan.
(12-10-2018, 12:46 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not sure what fans hoping for losses has to do with your last post:

We're fans. Not players. This post was definitely getting it twisted.

Sorry Shake, you make absolutely no sense and of course we are not players. From now on I will say Bengals players and we...... Ninja
Reply/Quote
Only way I would hope they lose out is if I knew for certain that there would actually be a massive sweeping change with the coaching. A new HC, OC, and DC, along with a couple of positional coaches gone. Toss in some other things like being better in free agency, cutting/trading players like Burfict, then I am definitely all in on losing out.

However all of that is far from a certainty. Maybe having less than half a stadium next week might give the old swindler a thought or two on changes needing to happen to draw fans back, but at his age he probably thinks the current course is still for the best.

So I doubt it even matters at this point anyways. Marv will most likely be back in yet another 'lame duck' season (meaning just 1 year left on his deal). Lazor will be the big change this offseason by getting fired, replaced by Hue, which I won't be against since Marv is back anyways. Some hipster will be brought in as a DC for a selling point to younger fans. There will be a blockbuster trade to get a 34 year old right tackle with knee issues who went to a pro bowl over ten years ago. And of course Burfict will be back again.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 11:33 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: 1. The one and only hope this team has is for Mikey to wake up and fire these bum coaches.

2. The best way to have any hope for that to happen is losing out.

3. I'm all for losing out !

4. But I know most likely nothing will change.

5. Where did I put my drink ?

I am also all for losing out, but hope you and I are in agreement, that we beat Pitt and knock them out of playoffs!
Reply/Quote
Sometimes in order to save the body, you must cut off an arm. I personally only tune into games to watch them lose and laugh. On a positive note, Mixon is everything I thought he was.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 01:14 PM)XsandOs Wrote: I am also all for losing out, but hope you and I are in agreement, that we beat Pitt and knock them out of playoffs!

nope.  keep losing at get the 5th overall pick.  last time we had a top 5 pick we got AJ green.  

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 10:22 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This loss was, in my opinion, the absolute best case scenario for this team in this position with this record and this number of injuries.

Let's all take a moment to admit that there was no way, even if we somehow miraculously made the playoffs due to the failures of all the teams around us (which, by the way is made all the more unlikely because the Dolphins beat the #1 team in their way to securing the final playoff spot).

So winning this game would have done 2 things:
1. Made Mike Brown more confident in Marvin Lewis' ability as a coach, both defensive and head.
2. Ensured that we get a worse draft selection in the 2019 draft; a draft that could potentially be filled with talented but risky QB options (such as Herbert, Haskins, Jones, Grier, Lock and Murray, if he chooses Football over baseball). All these QBs have talent, but each has their own set of question marks that make them, arguably, candidates for falling ever so slightly in the draft. See: Mahomes.
If we're in the top 10 or early teens, we may have a shot at one of these players.

In the Chargers game, our team played well, showed their talent (especially on the defensive side against a very talented offense), arguably showed a large portion of the problem is play calling, time management and coaching and then lost just in time to preserve the draft position.

If we can replicate this over the final weeks of the season, we can finally get rid of Marvin (because there won't be one of those stupid "resurgences" like we had last year), find a new "hot" coach who sees the talent on our roster and is excited to build around it (perhaps Kansas City's Offensive Coordinator, Eric Bieniemy) all while maintaining a good draft position to potentially take a franchise QB (depending on how many end up declaring and are determined to be worth a first round pick) and the new era of Bengals football can begin.

I know the sentiment around here is often "We need to win at all costs because we're fans of this team. Rooting for your team to lose is very un-fan-like."

But I think there's a greater purpose here. Mike Brown will doom this team if they let him. We seriously need to remove Marvin, Hue and all their cohorts and start fresh. We have been stewing in this bland, tepid pool of Merv for anywhere between 3 and 8 years, depending on who you ask.

Set this team free. And maintain the chance of drafting a truly game changing QB while you're at it. Lose out and start over in 2019. The alternative is another year (or more) of Marvin or, worse...Hue Jackson...

Will you be happy if we lose to the Squealers or we potentially knock them out of the playoffs?
Let me help you out.
A real Bengals fan will hope we win and knock them out of the playoffs!!!!

Will you be happy if the Browns sweep us and their idiot QB can talk smack all off season and the Browns make the playoffs and the Browns sweep a division foe in how many years???
A real Bengals fan will hope we knock them out of the playoffs and we git our revenge!!!

Then we git a new change in coaching staff, but since we still have the same ownership.

We still will not draw free agents.
We will lose our own players to free agency.
We will not invest in an indoor training facility.
We will get a cheap ass coaching staff, that will be a yes man to ownership. 
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 01:21 PM)Okeana Wrote: Sometimes in order to save the body, you must cut off an arm.  I personally only tune into games to watch them lose and laugh.  On a positive note, Mixon is everything I thought he was.

I thought it was you cutoff the hand to save the arm. Boy, is this franchise in tough doo doo if that's the case......lmao
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 01:38 PM)BengalYankee Wrote: Will you be happy if we lose to the Squealers or we potentially knock them out of the playoffs?
Let me help you out.
A real Bengals fan will hope we win and knock them out of the playoffs!!!!

Will you be happy if the Browns sweep us and their idiot QB can talk smack all off season and the Browns make the playoffs and the Browns sweep a division foe in how many years???
A real Bengals fan will hope we knock them out of the playoffs and we git our revenge!!!

Then we git a new change in coaching staff, but since we still have the same ownership.

We still will not draw free agents.
We will lose our own players to free agency.
We will not invest in an indoor training facility.
We will get a cheap ass coaching staff, that will be a yes man to ownership. 

So, basically, you're saying being a fan of the Bengals is pointless because they have no hope of improving regardless of what they do?

That's a pretty bleak opinion, man.

If I shared that view, I can see how beating the Steelers or Browns would be the highest aspiration you have for your team.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 12:42 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Dolphins, Titans, Rams, Giants, Bears, Lions, Buccaneers, Chargers, Steelers, Raiders, Jaguars, Colts.

All these teams have a HC who arrived after the starting QB.

Baker Mayfield and Aaron Rodgers will be the starting QBs for the Browns and Packers next season, despite that they are guaranteed to get new HCs.

So you clearly can't say that a regime change means that we will draft a QB.

Well, the Giants, Rams, Lions, Bucs, Dolphins, (arguably) Raiders and Jaguars all need a new QB so that's on their list. Just because they were unable to doesn't mean we should follow their lead.

And, for the record, the Giants should have.

As for the Rams, Steelers, Titans and Colts...Dalton isn't a Roethlisberger, Goff, Luck or Mariota level talent so I don't see them as applying to our scenario either.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 10:22 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: This loss was, in my opinion, the absolute best case scenario for this team in this position with this record and this number of injuries.

Let's all take a moment to admit that there was no way, even if we somehow miraculously made the playoffs due to the failures of all the teams around us (which, by the way is made all the more unlikely because the Dolphins beat the #1 team in their way to securing the final playoff spot).

So winning this game would have done 2 things:
1. Made Mike Brown more confident in Marvin Lewis' ability as a coach, both defensive and head.
2. Ensured that we get a worse draft selection in the 2019 draft; a draft that could potentially be filled with talented but risky QB options (such as Herbert, Haskins, Jones, Grier, Lock and Murray, if he chooses Football over baseball). All these QBs have talent, but each has their own set of question marks that make them, arguably, candidates for falling ever so slightly in the draft. See: Mahomes.
If we're in the top 10 or early teens, we may have a shot at one of these players.

In the Chargers game, our team played well, showed their talent (especially on the defensive side against a very talented offense), arguably showed a large portion of the problem is play calling, time management and coaching and then lost just in time to preserve the draft position.

If we can replicate this over the final weeks of the season, we can finally get rid of Marvin (because there won't be one of those stupid "resurgences" like we had last year), find a new "hot" coach who sees the talent on our roster and is excited to build around it (perhaps Kansas City's Offensive Coordinator, Eric Bieniemy) all while maintaining a good draft position to potentially take a franchise QB (depending on how many end up declaring and are determined to be worth a first round pick) and the new era of Bengals football can begin.

I know the sentiment around here is often "We need to win at all costs because we're fans of this team. Rooting for your team to lose is very un-fan-like."

But I think there's a greater purpose here. Mike Brown will doom this team if they let him. We seriously need to remove Marvin, Hue and all their cohorts and start fresh. We have been stewing in this bland, tepid pool of Merv for anywhere between 3 and 8 years, depending on who you ask.

Set this team free. And maintain the chance of drafting a truly game changing QB while you're at it. Lose out and start over in 2019. The alternative is another year (or more) of Marvin or, worse...Hue Jackson...

Mike Brown clearly has trust issues. He's only going to relinquish some decision-making power to someone he's very familiar with. He's very familiar with Hue Jackson. Because of this, I think it makes sense for Hue to become HC because otherwise it's going to go back to Mike Brown being crazy-involved in the draft again. I'd rather Hue Jackson picking players than Mike Brown.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
The next time I root for the Bengals to lose a game will be the first time I root for the Bengals to lose a game and I don't think it's happening anytime soon.

Would folks take back last year's season ending victory that knocked the Ravens out of the playoffs so we could move up a couple draft picks?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
You sir are a bad fan. If we go with the odds makers. We won because we had 14+ points to start. Who dey
Reply/Quote
Oh C'mon ..  Pittsburg, Baltimore and Cleveland will all lose the rest of their games, we'll win the rest of ours and get in the playoffs, run the tables and win the big show . How can anyone think any differently after the great season we've had so far and all the moral victories we've won? All this time they've just been playing coy to sucker them all in.  MARK MY WORDS . Or you could just redact them.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 06:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The next time I root for the Bengals to lose a game will be the first time I root for the Bengals to lose a game and I don't think it's happening anytime soon.

Would folks take back last year's season ending victory that knocked the Ravens out of the playoffs so we could move up a couple draft picks?

Might be able to live with it if it got us a new head coach. I can’t stand always loosing to the Steelers. That sucks. Ya I still want the win.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 06:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The next time I root for the Bengals to lose a game will be the first time I root for the Bengals to lose a game and I don't think it's happening anytime soon.

Exactly!  Shaking my head at some of these responses.   And, for the record, that New Year's Eve last-second win knocking Ballamore out the playoffs was AWESOME.  The last thing I was thinking about in that moment was a draft pick in late April or if Merv was unpacking.  

I want Mike and Merv (and occasionally, some days, Andy) gone just as much as the next guy.  But, I will never, ever hope that we lose.  Root for a loss to the Browns or Steelers, in this lifetime?  You must be out of your damned mind.  **** Cleveland.  **** Pittsburgh.  Today, tomorrow and forever.  And, **** the Raiders and Gruden come Sunday!  And, I'll be there in person rooting for a win, regardless of our record.  
WhoDey2
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 01:22 PM)Okeana Wrote: nope.  keep losing at get the 5th overall pick.  last time we had a top 5 pick we got AJ green.  

Close, but not quite.  We selected AJ Green with the 4th overall pick in the 2011 draft.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote

If the loss meant that Marvin was not re-signed, it would've been awfully tempting.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2018, 11:11 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Indeed you're a bad fan.

I live how everyone thinks they know how the scenario with Marv will play out and how they think they know what MB will do.

You want your team to win every game, period.

I can think  of many situations I would want my team to lose.  That most definitely does not make someone a bad fan. If you have one absolute stud of a QB in the draft and your team desperately needs a QB, and your final game is against a team that is tied with you for the worst record in the NFL, and THEY also need a QB.....you would want your team to lose that game, or at least anyone with any common sense would.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2018, 08:53 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Exactly!  Shaking my head at some of these responses.   And, for the record, that New Year's Eve last-second win knocking Ballamore out the playoffs was AWESOME.  The last thing I was thinking about in that moment was a draft pick in late April or if Merv was unpacking.  

I want Mike and Merv (and occasionally, some days, Andy) gone just as much as the next guy.  But, I will never, ever hope that we lose.  Root for a loss to the Browns or Steelers, in this lifetime?  You must be out of your damned mind.  **** Cleveland.  **** Pittsburgh.  Today, tomorrow and forever.  And, **** the Raiders and Gruden come Sunday!  And, I'll be there in person rooting for a win, regardless of our record.  

Ok....then let's say that Cincy beating the Ravens was what gave Brown the gall to give Marvin another "last" chance as HC.  However, losing would have guaranteed Marvin's departure.  You still want Cincy to win?  Answer logically and without emotion.
Reply/Quote
Unless you're paying all of Cedric Ogbuihi's full Bengals salary and retirement benefits out of your own pocket it doesn't really matter if you're a good fan ,bad fan or middle of the road fan. ..You are paying all of that, right? We really need you to step up to  the plate for the rest of us useless slackers.
Actually it really doesn't matter exactly what kind of fan you are. There's no requirement to be either way about it .
Now on the other hand if you don't have a REAL man cave and bonified man crushes on a certain number of Bengals players and don't own authentic Bengals autographed jerseys along with authentic sundry other crap like authentic Bengals clocks, wrist bands, caps, pen and pencil sets, footwear, lawn and garden items , Bengals MVP 18oz tumbler and so on YOU'RE NOT A REAL FAN and quite simply put, your opinion is completely invalid. Hang your head in shame and get busy purchasing all that utterly useless junk OR ELSE!  
(or else what you may ask.  I'll tell you . I don't know .)
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote