Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.33 Average
I'm just tired of Bengals football, man
(01-08-2024, 03:14 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Yep. Exactly the reasons we don't match up so well with the AFCN. I'd rather we can compete with everyone in the league, than build to beat this division, but it does necessitate getting into the dance first... which is more difficult when you're 1-5 in the division.

Agree, it's a tough tightrope to walk. I've said this a couple of times on here, but no one acknowledges it....aside from Cincinnati, when's the last time an AFCN team advanced beyond the divisional round? Baltimore in 2012? This division seems to get outpaced in the playoffs in recent years, aside from the Bengals. In my opinion, it's an outdated way of playing in today's league. The Ravens might be able to get all the way this year, they're pretty damn good. We'll soon see.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Do GMs sit around even thinking about building teams to compete by division or conference? I wonder how they frame their thinking when drafting. I could see a GM thinking:

"I want to draft a RB who can pound the ball" but do they think:

"I want to draft a RB who can pound the ball against my fellow AFC North teams"?

Is this all made-up fan thinking we're talking about or is it well documented NFL GMs have gone on the record starting they draft to compete in their division or conference?
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 03:38 PM)Wyche Wrote: Agree, it's a tough tightrope to walk. I've said this a couple of times on here, but no one acknowledges it....aside from Cincinnati, when's the last time an AFCN team advanced beyond the divisional round? Baltimore in 2012? This division seems to get outpaced in the playoffs in recent years, aside from the Bengals. In my opinion, it's an outdated way of playing in today's league. The Ravens might be able to get all the way this year, they're pretty damn good. We'll soon see.

Absolutely right.

They regularly bang on about Harbaugh's playoff record on the road, and Tomlin's successes in terms of winning seasons...

Obviously they are good coaches, and it's a tough league to make the Super Bowl in, but...

Harbaugh is 11-9 in the playoffs, but this includes a 2-5 run since 2012. May change this year, but we'll see.

Tomlin is 8-9 in the playoffs and 5-8 since 2008.

A combined 31 seasons as head coaches (before this season), and they're 1-2 in the Super Bowl. Both franchises have generally been decent teams through both Harbaugh and Tomlin's careers... so these records aren't for lack of opportunity.

Again, I know playoff success is hard, but neither coach has done much in the playoffs for over a decade now. 
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 06:24 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: I'm with you.  Not really any fun this season.  And now watching at least 5 teams I very much dislike getting into the playoffs.  3 of our division rivals getting in.  Just a really super sucky and unfun year of football.

I love Burrow, but i'll believe it when i see it as far as him making it through the offseason and into the regular season with no injuries/issues.  Then we refuse to play anyone in preseason and come out looking like dog crap while other teams are rolling.

Then the stat I just learned about with QB's/coaches and SB's in the first 5 years.  So unless we break an almost 60 year old streak we won't win a SB with Burrow/Taylor if we don't do it this next season.

Then our o-line.  Look how much pressure Clevelands backups were getting.  Joe going to get killed next year.

And our secondary.  And defense overall just sucks.

We had our chance.  Should have had 2 SB wins.  Our oline effed it up big time.

Like I have had to say for the last 35 years, maybe next year.  Effing eff.

There is one sliver of hope though. The Bills McDermott/Allen are in year 6, so they should not, due to precedent, win it this year even though a lot of people keep saying 'team of destiny' etc, etc. If they're able to pull it off, then the 5 yr window goes out...the window. If Buffalo proceeds to screw it up again, as history says they will, then 5 yr window is still on for next year for the Bengals.

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-07-2024, 07:44 PM)Mickeypoo Wrote: That's not a bright side, lol.  That means our division is absolutely brutal and stacked and it sucks.  

Our 4th place division finish is BETTER than the 3rd and 4th place place teams in every division in the NFC.  Our record ties or is better than the 2nd, 3rd and 4th place teams in 3 of the 4 divisions in the NFC.  We would be tied for 2nd place in 3 of 4 divisions in the NFC.

We would be tied for 2nd in 2 of the 4 divisions in the AFC.  

We are hands down, no contest in the most difficult division in the entire NFL and it is just so tiring year after year.  No other division in the NFL is stacked like this.

Sorry.  I just need to rant a bit.  lol.  Season over.  Burrow injured.  No playoffs.  Stuck in the most brutal division in the nfl watching teams with 9-10 wins win their division while we are dead last with 9 wins.  1-5 in our division.  Tons of critical injuries.  4 years of Burrow not being able to make it through the offseason and into regular season for whatever reason.  Defense now apparently has reverted to complete suck.  Secondary burned twice for td bombs in just this one game.  Offense is stale and predictable.  Receivers can't get open.  Blah.  Maybe next season.  yay.  I just want to witness one SB victory in my lifetime.  I am really not sure it will happen.  We had our chance twice and completely blew it both times.

Perfectly situated to be THE 'Worst to First!' story next year!   Cool

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 03:41 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Do GMs sit around even thinking about building teams to compete by division or conference? I wonder how they frame their thinking when drafting. I could see a GM thinking:

"I want to draft a RB who can pound the ball" but do they think:

"I want to draft a RB who can pound the ball against my fellow AFC North teams"?

Is this all made-up fan thinking we're talking about or is it well documented NFL GMs have gone on the record starting they draft to compete in their division or conference?

Part of building a team to win a championship includes being built capable of holding one's own with whatever your division/conference has to offer.  In the AFCN, you have three teams with extremely physical OLs and DLs, and then you have the Bengals.  Had the Browns not played the scrub team, the Bengals would have likely went 0-6 versus the division.

Documented by NFL GMs or not, you tell me how important it is to compete with your own division?  I mean, putting yourself in a 6 game hole means you have to be perfect versus the rest of the league..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2024, 05:56 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Part of building a team to win a championship includes being built capable of holding one's own with whatever your division/conference has to offer.  In the AFCN, you have three teams with extremely physical OLs and DLs, and then you have the Bengals.  Had the Browns not played the scrub team, the Bengals would have likely went 0-6 versus the division.

Documented by NFL GMs or not, you tell me how important it is to compete with your own division?  I mean, putting yourself in a 6 game hole means you have to be perfect versus the rest of the league..

I'm not taking a stand against the sentiment, I'm just tossing out to what extent GM's think about it the way we are framing it in this thread. Of course you need to compete in your division, but when people say "We aren't built to compete in the division" I'm not sure some people even know what they mean. They are just dropping fandom speak. I'd like to have the inside scoop and see how GMs and front office personnel frame their conversations and strategy.

My documented comment is an acknowledgment that perhaps the answer to my question is already out there and on the record that GMs verbalize they worry about building to compete within their smaller division.

Edit: I suppose my take is that a team should be built to win a Super Bowl. That naturally takes care of winning in the playoffs and the division.
Reply/Quote