Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
I'm officially done with the GD thread
(01-18-2022, 11:31 AM)Au165 Wrote: I try to pop in and talk scheme and why things work and what adjustments need made but two pages of "We suck again!" pop up from the time I post to a when I refresh the page. I was explaining why Apple actually covered the TD well to Zay Jones and it was simply a great call against cover 3 and someone answered "Yea right buddy, you must be blind". At that point it was time to go...

That part becomes frustrating, too. When Burrow was sacked on the naked vs. Chiefs, I tried explaining to a poster that Jonah didn't allow the sack because he wasn't supposed to block Jones. The response was something like "well what in the world did he think was going to happen? He didn't even block him. What do you mean it wasn't on Jonah? He's horrible." There was another one like "we just need to throw that dumbass play out of the playbook, it's never worked" but we've had success with that same play in other games.

I don't know, I hate the tidal wave, reactionary nature of GD threads and it is impossible to have rational discussion and I just find myself frustrated, which has led to me not showing up as much. 
Reply/Quote
Favorite Lines from GD Thread

"Why didn't he throw the ball away?!" - He was in the pocket and you can't just launch it, plus any time it leaves your hand with pressure around you you risk an interception, see Murray last night on the pick six.

"Great play call throwing a check down on 3rd down" - You can't see in the All 22 view and YOU probably don't know how to work through the progressions to know where he was going with it anyways. I can guarantee the check down wasn't his primary option.

"Oh look our defense sucks again!" - Defense is hard in the NFL as the rules all favor the offense. All defenses give up points and anytime we do we don't automatically suck. You can do your job perfectly and the offense can still gain yards because good offensive calls will always beat good defensive ones.

"Here comes the collapse" - See above, just because they pick up a first down does not mean the world is ending.

"The play calling is so bad" - Let's be honest you don't know anything about football schematics beyond Madden to even know what good/bad is.

"We should have ran/passed" - This one is always funny because exact same situation multiple times each week you will see guys screaming it was obvious we should have ran, or passed, in that situation because frankly everyone has an opinion but few are actually based on any sort of high level football knowledge, especially as it relates to opponent schemes.
Reply/Quote
I mean this politely but so what?

I might be in the minority but it doesn’t bother me. So what if they have knee jerk reactions?

Fan is short for “fanatic”. So what if they want to act like Randy Quaid from Major League?
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 11:09 AM)GAWhoDey Wrote: Some fans only like sports because it gives them an outlet for their miserable personalities.  They experience no actual joy and are only in it for the pain.

I've seen plenty of people post doom and gloom that are quality people.  

You also won't make many friends insulting other users.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
There's a reason I hate going to bars to watch a football game. No matter what city or bar I am in, there is always that guy. You know, the guy that is the loudest in the bar, but apparently knows the least about football. I'm not the most knowledgeable person in the room, but if I don't understand a concept I'm not screaming about it. What I've found is "that guy" also inhabits Game Day threads.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 12:21 PM)Sled21 Wrote: There's a reason I hate going to bars to watch a football game. No matter what city or bar I am in, there is always that guy. You know, the guy that is the loudest in the bar, but apparently knows the least about football. I'm not the most knowledgeable person in the room, but if I don't understand a concept I'm not screaming about it. What I've found is "that guy" also inhabits Game Day threads.

This is how I approach understanding game day thread takes, the drunk bar guy is always ever-present. There will be people with instant hot takes since they are watching the game unfold in real time & some of those hot takes come off as that of the overly drunken guy at the local dive bar. Meanwhile, there are also people posting as homers or making patiently analytically-driven posts not reacting to the immediate game moments. I don't invest much energy in caring how people decide to post. It is kind of annoying when the pissing contest starts because people don't want to admit to being wrong or think their approach to posting is the right way.

I also don't keep up with the posts because I'm trying to watch the game. I suppose I cannot multi-task as an NFL viewer.  Hilarious
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 11:20 AM)jj22 Wrote: If you can't take the gameday thread don't stop in. A Bengals game is emotional for most fans. The ups and downs in real time are real feelings. That's what makes the GD thread great. I don't get the issue people have with it. 

Because it's one thing to call Burrow a dumbass for throwing a bad INT, it's another to question whether or not the bust label applies to him.

Again, being emotional is not an excuse for rampant stupidity. If Hopkins gives up a sack on an important 3rd down that puts our game-winning FG attempt into record-setting territory, does that give me the right to call him the n-word? No, it doesn't. 

I've never had an issue with people griping about bad plays. It's the downright stupid ones that I don't tolerate.

(01-18-2022, 11:20 AM)jj22 Wrote: You were right in your optimism Philhos, but handle being right with a little more class and understanding as to why many were much more guarded.

Oh, ok, others are allowed to post emotionally, but not me. Hypocrite much?
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I do like the guy who's stream is 3 or 4 plays behind complaining about something everyone has already moved on from...that's fun.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 11:20 AM)jj22 Wrote: If you can't take the gameday thread don't stop in. A Bengals game is emotional for most fans. The ups and downs in real time are real feelings. That's what makes the GD thread great. I don't get the issue people have with it. Outside of taking shots at those because we are in the middle of a great season. It's going to take more than 1 great season to get people to stop having flashbacks and panicking. That should be expected given the history and trauma we have experienced. Some overly optimistic posters want to act like there is no trauma and 1 great season should erase all those feelings. I think it's lame honestly to not acknowledge that as you bask in the one season optimism was justified to slam those who may be slow to let our guard down.

After 3 winning seasons and playoff victories if people still have those fears of letdowns then maybe stepping up on a high horse is justified. But until then, the panic and fear of a letdown shouldn't be slammed.

You were right in your optimism Philhos, but handle being right with a little more class and understanding as to why many were much more guarded.

I tend to agree with this. I completely get it phil. But I do think in this case our fans deserve smoe slack for thinking the sky if=s falling. How many freaking times have we all seen it fall apart. If you sit here and tell me not once during that game you were not thinking oh shit here we go I don't buy it frankly. I may not have said it out loud or typed it but I was nervous as F! And rightfully so after 30 years and watching us implode several times in several playoff games. And I get that this isnt "that" team argument. But if they would have imploded they would have been "that" team all over again and that is a show we have also seen. 

So I definitely say gotta cut em some slack. It's like going into a serious relationship when you have been cheated on and treated like crap for the last 30 years. Or adopting a battered dog. It takes a while to build that trust back up that everyone and everything is not out to ruin you life and hurt you. Its okay Bengals fans! We won a game! Life can be cool I promise! :)

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 12:37 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: I tend to agree with this. I completely get it phil. But I do think in this case our fans deserve smoe slack for thinking the sky if=s falling. How many freaking times have we all seen it fall apart. If you sit here and tell me not once during that game you were not thinking oh shit here we go I don't buy it frankly. I may not have said it out loud or typed it but I was nervous as F! And rightfully so after 30 years and watching us implode several times in several playoff games. And I get that this isnt "that" team argument. But if they would have imploded they would have been "that" team all over again and that is a show we have also seen. 

Being nervous about giving up the lead is not the same as calling the game over saying publicly to make it thirty-two years without a playoff loss. Again, while we had a 2 possession lead in the 4th QTR. 

But, whatever, now just one less person to call out the absolute bullshit posted in the GD threads. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 11:09 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm at a point where I can't even bring myself to wade into the GD threads anymore.  I'd rather just watch the game, and then talk about it later.

I'm to the point of just popping in and out here and there. And this last game I didn't even do that. I doubt I'm online for this Saturday either.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 12:48 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Being nervous about giving up the lead is not the same as calling the game over saying publicly to make it thirty-two years without a playoff loss. Again, while we had a 2 possession lead in the 4th QTR. 

But, whatever, now just one less person to call out the absolute bullshit posted in the GD threads. 
Lol, my brother does this during every uva basketball game. Like ten minutes into the game he's saying well this one's over we lost. Bro it's a long game and you guys are winning!? 

Sometimes I think it's the attention you get from being the beat up kid. Like people seek it for some reason
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 12:21 PM)Sled21 Wrote: There's a reason I hate going to bars to watch a football game. No matter what city or bar I am in, there is always that guy. You know, the guy that is the loudest in the bar, but apparently knows the least about football. I'm not the most knowledgeable person in the room, but if I don't understand a concept I'm not screaming about it. What I've found is "that guy" also inhabits Game Day threads.

Loudest at the bar, knows very little about football and is always the only one blackout drunk at like 4pm as well.  Hilarious Hilarious
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 12:49 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm to the point of just popping in and out here and there. And this last game I didn't even do that. I doubt I'm online for this Saturday either.

This is my approach mostly because I want to focus on the game and enjoy it with the real people around me. Buuuut if people like the game day thread, then props to them. Hopefully nobody gets too worked up about it because nobody should invest too much emotional energy into some posts about a game.
Reply/Quote
Being in a house with a wife and cat totally indifferent to the game, I really enjoy being able to connect in real time with other Bengal fans watching the game. And, the solution to those who have issues with other posters is quite simple: use the ignore feature and the problem is solved. Be positive and turn your FOMO into JOMO!
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 12:59 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: Being in a house with a wife and cat totally indifferent to the game, I really enjoy being able to connect in real time with other Bengal fans watching the game.

Same here, minus the cat, but add a dog.

(01-18-2022, 12:59 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: And, the solution to those who have issues with other posters is quite simple: use the ignore feature and the problem is solved.  Be positive and turn your FOMO into JOMO!

Except I'll know they're there posting their stupidity and you just know I'll see someone quoting them and then I'm un-ignoring them so I can call out their bullshit. Nah, better to just stay away altogether.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 01:02 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Same here, minus the cat, but add a dog.

Except I'll know they're there posting their stupidity and you just know I'll see someone quoting them and then I'm un-ignoring them so I can call out their bullshit. Nah, better to just stay away altogether.

Not my place to tell you what to do, but if you're looking for advice I'd offer to stay away from the game day thread since you're processing your feelings about it in this thread. I'd say if you're offering up why it annoys you are either A) getting it out of your system and then going back to the GD thread or B) so annoyed by it that a break is warranted. I'd go with B.

I hope I don't come off as pretentious for my take, just making an attempt at a helpful opinion. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 01:07 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Not my place to tell you what to do, but if you're looking for advice I'd offer to stay away from the game day thread since you're processing your feelings about it in this thread. I'd say if you're offering up why it annoys you are either A) getting it out of your system and then going back to the GD thread or B) so annoyed by it that a break is warranted. I'd go with B.

I hope I don't come off as pretentious for my take, just making an attempt at a helpful opinion. 

I understand that as one of the few other optimistic and rational posters in the GD thread this puts more pressure on you to combat the negativity and rampant stupidity and I appreciate the advice, but, for this season at least, I'm done. I may be back next year as we attempt to defend our Super Bowl victory, but for this season, I'm done. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
I mean, you're not wrong.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 01:14 PM)PhilHos Wrote: I understand that as one of the few other optimistic and rational posters in the GD thread this puts more pressure on you to combat the negativity and rampant stupidity and I appreciate the advice, but, for this season at least, I'm done. I may be back next year as we attempt to defend our Super Bowl victory, but for this season, I'm done. ThumbsUp

& nothing wrong with being done with it. It's better to have an enjoyable fandom experience, right?  Who Dey
Reply/Quote