Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
I'm officially done with the GD thread
Got a lot of self-righteous, high and mighty people posting in this thread today.

Attention getters make threads about no longer posting in another thread to gain attention about not doing something. Not really something you have to announce, just don’t post in it. No reason to disparage people who are emotional during the game.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 02:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: IMO the "So what" is the constant bytching makes it difficult for those that want to discuss the game at hand to do so. 

Too many enter the gameday with agendas. IE...

I want Zac Taylor fired so I'm gojng to focus of everything that fits my agenda, even if I have to push the envelope on some of it.

I've been disappointed in the past with the Bengals so I'm going in thinking they'll lose and I'll to look for everything to assure me I'm right.

So and so is just too optimistic, I'm going to look for everything I can find to curb his optimism

I've been a regular in the gameday threads as far back as talking with Joe from Flo. We didn't always agree, but we talked about the game at hand. This year I quit the gameday about halfway into the season because folk go there to validate their agendas instead of discussing the game at hand.

I forgot Joe from Flo existed until just now.  

I rarely post in the GD thread because i prefer to send my pessimistic messages out via SMS.  

However, isn't the inverse of this approach also true?  There's a good chunk of us (definitely not me) looking to prove Eli Apple is good.  I would imagine the GD thread was all over it when he was gifted that Big Ben int a couple months ago...lots of "I told you so's"

I don't see anything wrong with ignoring people if you don't like what they have to say.  Quitting something because you don't like or agree with some people's opinions is more of a reflection of you, isn't it?  (No not you personally, bfine).  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 02:35 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Visited there once and realized immediately it was not for me.

Plus nothing personal, but Ive got better things to do during game

This is the part I admit to not understanding.  I have tried a couple of times to visit gameday threads for teams I follow, and they are always a mess. Not just full of negativity, but it's often hard to follow the comments and match them up to what was happening in the game at that moment.  

I don't know, I guess if people like participating in them, more power to them, but I've never understood the appeal.  
Reply/Quote
I still enjoy the game day threads. Lot's of different personalities, interesting and at times weird takes on what is happening during the game. Maybe it's because I don't really take games that serious and see them as entertainment. But as others have stated, if the GD threads are hindering enjoyment of the game then it is probably best to avoid them. I have nothing against people who choose to do so.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 11:30 AM)jj22 Wrote: The one year the optimists were right and somehow decades of emotions from failures letdowns and meltdowns weren't justified.....

I have no horse in this race because that thread isn't for me, but.... In football (and life in general) last year, and all the years before really don't matter. The now is the only thing that's important. Just my 2 cents.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
I'm hiring for a couple positions at work. I wish I could see how the interviewees post in a game day thread. I don't need people yelling "**** it, I quit" and "Fire xxxx, he sucks", and I feel like if you can't handle the Bengals going down by 10 points, or someone not making a tackle, it's pretty indicative of how you'll react to real life adversity.

I tried to go back into the gameday threads a couple times recently. Not my thing.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 03:02 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I'm hiring for a couple positions at work. I wish I could see how the interviewees post in a game day thread. I don't need people yelling "**** it, I quit" and "Fire xxxx, he sucks", and I feel like if you can't handle the Bengals going down by 10 points, or someone not making a tackle, it's pretty indicative of how you'll react to real life adversity.

I tried to go back into the gameday threads a couple times recently. Not my thing.

To add to this, I also don't want people throwing a fit about others and sending out mass emails of their resignation.....you're fired OP. 
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 03:02 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: I'm hiring for a couple positions at work. I wish I could see how the interviewees post in a game day thread. I don't need people yelling "**** it, I quit" and "Fire xxxx, he sucks", and I feel like if you can't handle the Bengals going down by 10 points, or someone not making a tackle, it's pretty indicative of how you'll react to real life adversity.

"I only smacked my dog 31 times...I don't know why he's so afraid of me even though I gave him a doggy treat"
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
I wish there was a good solution but the only one I’ve found is leaving the thread altogether. I’ll pop in from time to time hoping it’s less tantrum and more rational discussions but it never is. No matter how GOOD things are going it’s always negative.

It didn’t always used to be like that but now that it is I don’t see that changing. All of the reasonable posters have been walking away from that thread for years so the crazy posters are 90% now. Even if one rational poster goes back it won’t make anything better.

We’ll need a boatload of decent posters to magically drop in there which isn’t happening, or hope and pray that we win 5 straight SB’s and that either changes the posters in there to be a little less doom and gloom OR it weeds them out until the ratio is much better. For the foreseeable future that thread is what it is, and that ain’t changing.
Reply/Quote
The GD thread is a tough one...because it's made up of instant reactions, emotions and hot takes. So, how do you navigate that? The insanity isn't unique to this board...every team board's GD threads are crazy as hell. 

In order to have GD threads, you have to allow everyone the right to express themselves. I understand that some are completely over the top, and it can even border on trolling at times...but what's the answer? I can't just tell members that only positive takes are allowed, or that only rational posts will be permitted. In the spur of the moment, people are going to say some dumb shit, have some really stupid takes or have meltdowns for silly reasons.

I understand the frustration of Phil and others, but for me, the GD thread is the one place on the board where you need to let a relatively free flowing input of thoughts and reactions, even if it gets annoying and frustrating for those that try to be more levelheaded. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 03:23 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: The GD thread is a tough one...because it's made up of instant reactions, emotions and hot takes. So, how do you navigate that? The insanity isn't unique to this board...every team board's GD threads are crazy as hell. 

In order to have GD threads, you have to allow everyone the right to express themselves. I understand that some are completely over the top, and it can even border on trolling at other times...but what's the answer? I can't just tell members that only positive takes are allowed, or that only rational posts will be permitted. In the spur of the moment, people are going to say some dumb shit, have some really stupid takes or have meltdowns for silly reasons.

I understand the frustration of Phil and others, but for me, the GD thread is the one place on the board where you need to let a relatively free flowing input of thoughts and reactions, even if it gets annoying and frustrating for those that try to be more levelheaded. 

This is a fair explanation and consistent with game day threads I see on other forums. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 03:25 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: This is a fair explanation and consistent with game day threads I see on other forums. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. 

On a side note...at some point this offseason, probably around the start of free agency, I'm planning on trying out a Discord for the board that I'm currently setting up. I think we may use it as an option for certain occasions and see how it goes.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 01:53 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Well, yeah, duh.

Shhhhh, don't tell anyone but it's my way of talking about the GD forums in Jungle Noise.

Mellow

Goodbye and goodriddens. Thread should honestly be deleted. All you do in game threads is complain about other peoples opinions. After being the most inept NFL franchise in the last 31 years in the playoffs you expect fans who have been around for decades to just forget 30 years of history?

That’s like asking someone who has been mentally abused in multiple different relationships over and over and over again to forget everything that they’ve been through just because they are in a new relationship.

You’re not a super fan, you’re not special, and you’re a liar if you deny that the past doesn’t leave you the least bit nervous everytime something negative happens. You just choose to vent your frustration at other fans which in my opinion is the worst type of fan there is. So again, goodriddens.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 03:35 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: On a side note...at some point this offseason, probably around the start of free agency, I'm planning on trying out a Discord for the board that I'm currently setting up. I think we may use it as an option for certain occasions and see how it goes.

A Discord could work well. I am part of a Bengals discord but it is so unbelievably dead it isn't even funny. I would definitely join.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 03:35 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: On a side note...at some point this offseason, probably around the start of free agency, I'm planning on trying out a Discord for the board that I'm currently setting up. I think we may use it as an option for certain occasions and see how it goes.

Discord is fun for community building and I like it a lot. I offer that some people might exclusively use Discord whereas others might just prefer staying on this forum. I think the result might be a divided Bengals Board community? Your mods will have to pull double duty! 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 11:30 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I practically never go on the GD thread, as my TV is in a different room from my PC.
I feel like the GD thread can be the most toxic because it's people posting real-time reactions.

Real time reactions aren't the issue. It's the instant judgements and conclusions based upon those over reactions that are the problem.

FYI - I never read the GD threads or post in them.  I do support it though, otherwise the ADMINS would have to shut down the entire board during game time and I don't think they want to do that.  Having a place for game spam is better than 200 new threads of doom getting startewd in JN, that's for sure.  :)
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 03:41 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: Goodbye and goodriddens.  Thread should honestly be deleted.  All you do in game threads is complain about other peoples opinions.  After being the most inept NFL franchise in the last 31 years in the playoffs you expect fans who have been around for decades to just forget 30 years of history?  

That’s like asking someone who has been mentally abused in multiple different relationships over and over and over again to forget everything that they’ve been through just because they are in a new relationship.  

You’re not a super fan, you’re not special, and you’re a liar if you deny that the past doesn’t leave you the least bit nervous everytime something negative happens.  You just choose to vent your frustration at other fans which in my opinion is the worst type of fan there is.  So again, goodriddens.

So, you want a thread about the GD threads deleted because you don't like certain types of opinions/reactions?

You can't see the irony there?
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 03:51 PM)Stewy Wrote: Real time reactions aren't the issue. It's the instant judgements and conclusions based upon those over reactions that are the problem.

FYI - I never read the GD threads or post in them.  I do support it though, otherwise the ADMINS would have to shut down the entire board during game time and I don't think they want to do that.  Having a place for game spam is better than 200 new threads of doom getting startewd in JN, that's for sure.  :)

Joe
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 02:11 PM)Whatever Wrote: I guess it's just difficult for me to process it that way.  The coach isn't the same as those letdown teams.  The vast majority of the players aren't, either.  Why would I expect a letdown just because a previous core of players/coaches had a letdown?  

I suppose I'm a bit odd in that my feelings on various Bengals squads through the years are fairly well compartmentalized.  All those feelings of playoff disappointment were associated with Marvin and the Carson/Chad and Andy/AJ cores.  With those gone, those feelings also ceased to be associated with the club.  While I was obviously very happy we beat the Raiders, I didn't have a big emotional weight lifted off because I don't associate the current club with 31 years of futility.  

The whole thing seems odd to me.  It's like your old girlfriend left you so you sit around and make yourself miserable expecting your new girlfriend to leave you.

I'm glad that happened in 1 year, but for some it'll take longer then that. 

The true issue is certain posters just can not take any other opinion outside of their own. That is the elephant in the room. I'm not calling out any names but certain posters have supposed to BEEN  quit the GD thread so it's all lame to me to see them use this threat weekly to "gloat" about being right. They spend all gameday thread attacking posters they think are being too negative after threatening to leave it for the umpteenth time. Then after a win we get this groundhogs day threat. Can we speak the truth? Let's....The OP isn't leaving the GD thread. He never does. And he won't. Yall believe this sham of a thread. This is just a cover for him to say "I told you so" and honestly if the end results are the Bengals winning, don't nobody really even care. That's what people seem to not get about the ups and downs of the GD thread. But those threatening to leave it just to be the first one in there every Sunday/Saturday is....... Something else I'll just say. 

See you guys Saturday in the GD thread!

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 03:44 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Discord is fun for community building and I like it a lot. I offer that some people might exclusively use Discord whereas others might just prefer staying on this forum. I think the result might be a divided Bengals Board community? Your mods will have to pull double duty! 

It would only be used at certain times. Would never be an every day feature.
Reply/Quote