Thread Rating:
  • 6 Vote(s) - 2.33 Average
I'm officially done with the GD thread
(01-18-2022, 12:06 PM)basballguy Wrote: I've seen plenty of people post doom and gloom that are quality people.  

You also won't make many friends insulting other users.

I'm not here to make friends, so that's fine with me.  I'm here to talk about the Bengals, and it's just a fact that a fair percentage of sports fans do nothing but ***** and moan.  Whether or not they are "quality people", I have no idea and didn't comment on the quality of their overall character anyway.  
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 01:19 PM)GAWhoDey Wrote: I'm not here to make friends, so that's fine with me.  I'm here to talk about the Bengals, and it's just a fact that a fair percentage of sports fans do nothing but ***** and moan.  Whether or not they are "quality people", I have no idea and didn't comment on the quality of their overall character anyway.  

Saying they have miserable personalities is kinda it, no?  Nonetheless, i think you'll find more of your kind at this site:

http://www.reddit.com

You should check it out! 
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 01:17 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: & nothing wrong with being done with it. It's better to have an enjoyable fandom experience, right?  Who Dey

Yep. 
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 01:23 PM)basballguy Wrote: Saying they have miserable personalities is kinda it, no?  Nonetheless, i think you'll find more of your kind at this site:

You should check it out! 

Yeah, if all they see is the negative in everything and can't even enjoy our first playoff win in 31 years, wouldn't you agree that's pretty miserable? 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 01:02 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Except I'll know they're there posting their stupidity and you just know I'll see someone quoting them and then I'm un-ignoring them so I can call out their bullshit. Nah, better to just stay away altogethe.
Me, I just put them on ignore and enjoy the rest of the thread.  But, if a poster makes you feel like someone is getting way with something, and you feel you just can't let that happen, then you probably should stay away. It's a shame, because we do have fun in there and it's a good community for the most part.  
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 11:47 AM)Au165 Wrote: Favorite Lines from GD Thread

"Why didn't he throw the ball away?!" - He was in the pocket and you can't just launch it, plus any time it leaves your hand with pressure around you you risk an interception, see Murray last night on the pick six.

"Great play call throwing a check down on 3rd down" - You can't see in the All 22 view and YOU probably don't know how to work through the progressions to know where he was going with it anyways. I can guarantee the check down wasn't his primary option.

"Oh look our defense sucks again!" - Defense is hard in the NFL as the rules all favor the offense. All defenses give up points and anytime we do we don't automatically suck. You can do your job perfectly and the offense can still gain yards because good offensive calls will always beat good defensive ones.

"Here comes the collapse" - See above, just because they pick up a first down does not mean the world is ending.

"The play calling is so bad" - Let's be honest you don't know anything about football schematics beyond Madden to even know what good/bad is.

"We should have ran/passed" -
This one is always funny because exact same situation multiple times each week you will see guys screaming it was obvious we should have ran, or passed, in that situation because frankly everyone has an opinion but few are actually based on any sort of high level football knowledge, especially as it relates to opponent schemes.
This one I have issue with. At the end of the game and this goes for every game why play to their situation? Here is what I mean. The entire stadium, fans, announcers, everyone knows this to be true. The other team needs us to go 3 and out. They need us to run the ball and they can use their time outs to get the ball back and have a chance to win. That's great. Why are we doing EXACTLY what they need to win? I don't like it when we give the other team what they want and have to have happen to win the game. Go outside of that. Especially with burrow. Win the game. Don't feed into their only chance. So in those scenarios like the end of our game. (Burrow even admitted they were just trying to take time off the clock) I am definitely yelling at the tv and I definitely know what I'm talking about 
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 01:47 PM)Tony Wrote: Do we really need this type of thread in jungle noise? 

Well, yeah, duh.

(01-18-2022, 01:47 PM)Tony Wrote: What, you expecting people to cry orr beg you back? Lol.. so weak..

Shhhhh, don't tell anyone but it's my way of talking about the GD forums in Jungle Noise.

Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
I don't mind the GameDay Thread. There are alot of way over the top instant reactions but there are a few people that talk football in the moment.

Admittedly GameDay Thread is alot more like the Twitter version of fan reactions. Ugh Twitter Fans are the worst.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 01:53 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Well, yeah, duh.

Shhhhh, don't tell anyone but it's my way of talking about the GD forums in Jungle Noise.

Mellow
I thought we were over this philos... I thought the game dey thread was mild this weekend. The most it's ever been maybe.. Maybe we should have 2 separate gamedey threads...
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 01:25 PM)GAWhoDey Wrote: Yeah, if all they see is the negative in everything and can't even enjoy our first playoff win in 31 years, wouldn't you agree that's pretty miserable? 

You're talking about a thread before we won our first playoff game in 31 years. Your point is completely invalid. Most of us witnessed us collapse against the Chargers, collapse against the Steelers, do nothing in 3 other play off games not to mention the Palmer years. 

Find me the negative posts that have occurred since the clock hit 0. 
Reply/Quote
I've actually started spending most of my time in the Reddit/r/NFL game threads. It not only cuts down on the toxicity because most people commenting are relatively unbiased (fans of other teams, not the Bengals or their opponents) and usually have level heads. Like, with the whole whistle fiasco, the people with Raiders tags all went crazy, obviously, but nearly every other fan of other teams was like "I mean, yea, the refs ****** up but that shouldn't cost the Bengals an earned touchdown" and basically just drowned the coping Raiders fans out. It was nice to see that we were on the right side of the sentiment with that call.

And being able to see relatively unbiased opinions of the different penalties and stuff like that was also nice. I consider myself a pretty level headed fan who can evaluate whether a penalty is fair or not, and the unbiased fans agreed with me almost every single time.

Cuts down on the toxicity while also letting you continue to have access to in-game commentary and reactions from across the football world. Highly recommend.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 01:19 PM)GAWhoDey Wrote: I'm not here to make friends, so that's fine with me.  I'm here to talk about the Bengals, and it's just a fact that a fair percentage of sports fans do nothing but ***** and moan.  Whether or not they are "quality people", I have no idea and didn't comment on the quality of their overall character anyway.  

(01-18-2022, 01:23 PM)basballguy Wrote: Saying they have miserable personalities is kinda it, no?  Nonetheless, i think you'll find more of your kind at this site:

You should check it out! 

Trying to push a guy off to another site because he's speaking truth.

99% of the people on this board don't know each other personally so if your in multiple threads being a doom and gloom whiner then that's the personality your putting out online which is all we see. So yea saying someone has a miserable personality when that's all they put out is accurate.

Don't care one way or another what people post, I do find it funny people wanna be doom and gloom, whine all game and then anytime someone calls em out they just hide behind sarcasm or "BUT 30 YEARS OF SUCK MEANS WE CAN NEVER BE POSITIVE."

Just own that your stuck in the past while the rest of us move on and root for the team to win without giving up 2 minutes into the game.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 11:30 AM)jj22 Wrote: The one year the optimists were right and somehow decades of emotions from failures letdowns and meltdowns weren't justified.....

I guess it's just difficult for me to process it that way.  The coach isn't the same as those letdown teams.  The vast majority of the players aren't, either.  Why would I expect a letdown just because a previous core of players/coaches had a letdown?  

I suppose I'm a bit odd in that my feelings on various Bengals squads through the years are fairly well compartmentalized.  All those feelings of playoff disappointment were associated with Marvin and the Carson/Chad and Andy/AJ cores.  With those gone, those feelings also ceased to be associated with the club.  While I was obviously very happy we beat the Raiders, I didn't have a big emotional weight lifted off because I don't associate the current club with 31 years of futility.  

The whole thing seems odd to me.  It's like your old girlfriend left you so you sit around and make yourself miserable expecting your new girlfriend to leave you.
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 01:59 PM)TheFan Wrote: You're talking about a thread before we won our first playoff game in 31 years. Your point is completely invalid. Most of us witnessed us collapse against the Chargers, collapse against the Steelers, do nothing in 3 other play off games not to mention the Palmer years. 

Find me the negative posts that have occurred since the clock hit 0. 

Buddy, I've been a fan since the mid-80's, so I've been around for all the disappointment. 

There have absolutely been negative/critical posts since Saturday, but I don't care if you believe it or not.   
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 02:11 PM)Whatever Wrote: I guess it's just difficult for me to process it that way.  The coach isn't the same as those letdown teams.  The vast majority of the players aren't, either.  Why would I expect a letdown just because a previous core of players/coaches had a letdown?  

I suppose I'm a bit odd in that my feelings on various Bengals squads through the years are fairly well compartmentalized.  All those feelings of playoff disappointment were associated with Marvin and the Carson/Chad and Andy/AJ cores.  With those gone, those feelings also ceased to be associated with the club.  While I was obviously very happy we beat the Raiders, I didn't have a big emotional weight lifted off because I don't associate the current club with 31 years of futility.  

The whole thing seems odd to me.  It's like your old girlfriend left you so you sit around and make yourself miserable expecting your new girlfriend to leave you.

You listed 20 years of players. We were dumb enough to stick with a coach. We went through 2 quarterbacks. 

If this team did lose they would immediately be listed with those teams agree? So they were but that far away. The facts are until you win one you are what you are. And if we lost this team would be lumped right in with the rest you listed. That's why this win is so huge.

And it's not one girlfriend  it's your last 7 over 30 years. They all cheated you. Hard to trust the next girl
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 11:59 AM)basballguy Wrote: I mean this politely but so what?  

I might be in the minority but it doesn’t bother me.  So what if they have knee jerk reactions?  

Fan is short for “fanatic”.  So what if they want to act like Randy Quaid from Major League?

IMO the "So what" is the constant bytching makes it difficult for those that want to discuss the game at hand to do so. 

Too many enter the gameday with agendas. IE...

I want Zac Taylor fired so I'm gojng to focus of everything that fits my agenda, even if I have to push the envelope on some of it.

I've been disappointed in the past with the Bengals so I'm going in thinking they'll lose and I'll to look for everything to assure me I'm right.

So and so is just too optimistic, I'm going to look for everything I can find to curb his optimism

I've been a regular in the gameday threads as far back as talking with Joe from Flo. We didn't always agree, but we talked about the game at hand. This year I quit the gameday about halfway into the season because folk go there to validate their agendas instead of discussing the game at hand.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
It's simple really. People are people. No one is perfect. We all have our reasons for feeling the way we do. And no one had to think your way or my way. I try to understand my fellows. But not too much for I do not wish to judge.

If you can't then stay out. Easy enough
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 02:21 PM)bfine32 Wrote: IMO the "So what" is the constant bytching makes it difficult for those that want to discuss the game at hand to do so. 

Too many enter the gameday with agendas. IE...

I want Zac Taylor fired so I'm gojng to focus of everything that fits my agenda, even if I have to push the envelope on some of it.

I've been disappointed in the past with the Bengals so I'm going in thinking they'll lose and I'll to look for everything to assure me I'm right.

So and so is just too optimistic, I'm going to look for everything I can find to curb his optimism

I've been a regular in the gameday threads as far back as talking with Joe from Flo. We didn't always agree, but we talked about the game at hand. This year I quit the gameday about halfway into the season because folk go there to validate their agendas instead of discussing the game at hand.

Speaking of an agenda Sarcasm , elucidate me on the meaning of your forum handle bfine32.

Does it reference:

A) good will toward Stanley Wilson for his demons
B) hope for Ki-Jana Carter when he was injured
C) kindness toward Jeremy Hill for his fumble
D) something related to Rudi Johnson
E) something else
Reply/Quote
(01-18-2022, 02:09 PM)BobJones4980 Wrote: Trying to push a guy off to another site because he's speaking truth.

99% of the people on this board don't know each other personally so if your in multiple threads being a doom and gloom whiner then that's the personality your putting out online which is all we see. So yea saying someone has a miserable personality when that's all they put out is accurate.

Don't care one way or another what people post, I do find it funny people wanna be doom and gloom, whine all game and then anytime someone calls em out they just hide behind sarcasm or "BUT 30 YEARS OF SUCK MEANS WE CAN NEVER BE POSITIVE."

Just own that your stuck in the past while the rest of us move on and root for the team to win without giving up 2 minutes into the game.

couple things:

1) There are way more tactful ways to make your point without insulting people.  If we're all about sharing opinions here then i'm of the opinion if you want to insult other people you should go do it where it's common and frequently applauded.  If you want to have constructive and mature conversation, then let's do it here.  

2) People act like this behavior is limited to message boards.  These fans are looking at 30 years of disappointment.  So What if they're pessimistic.  I can guarantee this behavior extends to all of us in other aspects of life. The girl that has been broken up with multiple times but doesn't expect the current relationship to last.  The dad that's always messing up when he tries to cook dinner but might get it right this next time.  Trying to get god damn elephant ears to grow in the flower bed and survive more than one year (personal example).  Being on your 7th home loan app and making it as far as Clear to Close but still think something is going to go wrong until you have the keys in your hand.  We all do it.  

To me, this is normal human behavior and doesn't make me think any less of them like some people do. It doesn't make the GD thread any less fun for me.  
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
Visited there once and realized immediately it was not for me.

Plus nothing personal, but Ive got better things to do during game

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote