Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I'm rethinking our QB stance
I know we don't know what the team does in regards to moves, but if AZ really is drafting a QB, Rosen should be considered for a lower rounder by this team.

He can learn under Dalton without pressure to perform, he is a cheap long term replacement. He did show reasonable progress in AZ with a bad team. He is not expensive. Draft picks are crapshoots, so at least we know what is being had.

There may be more, but I gave this a little consideration and don't hate the idea. Obviously, the price AZ wants is the wild card here.

[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.propelio.com%2Fwp-c...f=1&nofb=1]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I think a 3rd for Rosen would be a wise investment. Low salary, high upside being a top 10 pick and all. I think he's more likely to go somewhere with a QB who is older and/or more likely to leave, though. If the Patriots or Chargers get him it'll be a pretty popular move, I'd wager.
Reply/Quote
I don't know that the Cards are dealing him for a low round pick. Most of the mock trades in drafts have him going for a late 1st or 2nd. We can't underestimate how desperate teams will get for a QB and how thin this rookie class is for the mid rounds.
Reply/Quote
There was an article that came out about the Giants exploring a trade for him for their 2nd rounder.

I think they'll see a ton of teams willing to give up a 3rd for him that a 2nd or late 1st is the more likely compensation.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was traded to New England with their draft capital. One of Rosen's close advisers posts on the OSU Rivals board and said NE was very interested in him last year and was trying to trade up for him.
Reply/Quote
I guess I was vague when I said lower, but I meant not 1st round. Mentally, I was thinking more thirdish. Once again, I take the thought process that so few picks pan out that even a second is worth the risk over someone unknown.

I think the Giants are drafting Haskins, so Rosen will still be out there.

Reply/Quote
If they draft Murray they lose a lot of leverage in what they will want is one way some people look at it. However, this was the #10 overall pick a year ago and I think they will be hoping that the Dolphins at #13 or the Redskins with #15 will want to make a deal for Rosen. Can't see them settling for just a 3rd round pick but you never know.
[Image: fadQsr.png]
Reply/Quote
Rumor is they are looking for a first rounder. I guess someone already willing to do a 2nd round let buy Arizona said no. I’m guessing Patriots , Chargers maybe Pittsburgh will give up a late first for him.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 03:35 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Rumor is they are looking for a first rounder.  I guess someone already willing to do a 2nd round let buy Arizona said no.   I’m guessing Patriots , Chargers maybe Pittsburgh will give up a late first for him.

Pittsburgh won't do it. Raplisberger would cry too much. Remember how he was upset when they drafted Mason Rudolph? They're all about making him happy at the expense of everyone else. Just look at Brown and Bell.

Reply/Quote
The Bengals aren't thinking about this at all.

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 02:04 PM)Shouldamapads Wrote: I know we don't know what the team does in regards to moves, but if AZ really is drafting a QB, Rosen should be considered for a lower rounder by this team.

He can learn under Dalton without pressure to perform, he is a cheap long term replacement.  He did show reasonable progress in AZ with a bad team.  He is not expensive.  Draft picks are crapshoots, so at least we know what is being had.

There may be more, but I gave this a little consideration and don't hate the idea.  Obviously, the price AZ wants is the wild card here.

First 5 starts: 

72.4 passer rating
207.2 yards
1.0 TD's

Last 8 starts:

64.3 passer rating
150.8 yards 
0.75 TD's 

--------

The only "good" thing I can say about Rosen is that Sam Bradford was also terrible for them (in 3 starts), and he's always been a consistently decent QB. So maybe it was mostly a coaching/scheme problem. They did dump their HC after 1 season.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 03:57 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: The Bengals aren't thinking about this at all.

Zac Taylor has gone out of his way to give Dalton multiple votes of confidence. Read into that what you will. Even if he 100% means it, some won't believe him until after the draft. If I were betting on it, I'd say the team sticks with Dalton. He's solid, he's affordable, he's won in the past, his teammates love him (especially AJ Green). 

I don't see Dalton going anywhere this year.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 03:57 PM)Atomic Orange Wrote: The Bengals aren't thinking about this at all.

And they shouldn't
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 04:35 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: First 5 starts: 

72.4 passer rating
207.2 yards
1.0 TD's

Last 8 starts:

64.3 passer rating
150.8 yards 
0.75 TD's 

--------

The only "good" thing I can say about Rosen is that Sam Bradford was also terrible for them (in 3 starts), and he's always been a consistently decent QB. So maybe it was mostly a coaching/scheme problem. They did dump their HC after 1 season.

I don't think people really realize how bad Rosen was last year.

Over the last 10 years there have been 257 QB seasons with at least 350 attempts.  Rosen's 66.7 last year ranks 252nd.  It was the second lowest passer rating recorded over the last 5 years.

And that is even worse when you look at how much passing stats were inflated last year when the league average passer rating of 92.9.  That was a new record a full 2.7 points higher than the previous record.

Rosen was not just bad.  He was epically bad.  
Reply/Quote
Just because the guy has a bad season doesn't mean he's worthless. Is he in the right system, behind a bad line, etc, etc, etc?

We know when Dalton is protected he's amazing. When he's on the run, he's terrible. So who is at fault for him being bad and on the run? Our line. I don't blame him for being bad while always being under pressure.

Anyhow- bad or not, I thought it deserved some discussion.

The other discussion is we finally invest in our O-Line protect Andy until he's 40 and have him here for the next 8 years or so.

Prepare to move this thread to all things Andy.

Reply/Quote
Daniel Jones!!!
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 02:04 PM)Shouldamapads Wrote: I know we don't know what the team does in regards to moves, but if AZ really is drafting a QB, Rosen should be considered for a lower rounder by this team.

He can learn under Dalton without pressure to perform, he is a cheap long term replacement. He did show reasonable progress in AZ with a bad team. He is not expensive. Draft picks are crapshoots, so at least we know what is being had.

There may be more, but I gave this a little consideration and don't hate the idea. Obviously, the price AZ wants is the wild card here.

Not against it, even if Rosen didn't play well last year he has talent and he might fit what our new HC wants in his QB. I like Murray more but he is just so small i don't know if he will make it in the NFL even if i see a faster Russell Wilson in him. Bottomline, i am for what the new HC wants, if it is Rosen its all good.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 05:55 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Not against it, even if Rosen didn't play well last year he has talent and he might fit what our new HC wants in his QB. I like Murray more but he is just so small i don't know if he will make it in the NFL even if i see a faster Russell Wilson in him. Bottomline, i am for what the new HC wants, if it is Rosen its all good.

Me too

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see what AD can do under different coaching. But if ZT decides it's time to move on I'm not gonna be heart broken.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 06:20 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Me too

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see what AD can do under different coaching. But if ZT decides it's time to move on I'm not gonna be heart broken.

Damn rights buddy, Dalton is a great guy and a good QB but in the end i just want us to win it all regardless of how it is done.
Reply/Quote
What about a 3rd rounder and a year of free Denny’s? Heck, I’ll contribute a 1998 Buick Century to the deal. Only 60k miles. Great car, great deal!

Reply/Quote
(03-27-2019, 06:38 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: What about a 3rd rounder and a year of free Denny’s? Heck, I’ll contribute a 1998 Buick Century to the deal. Only 60k miles. Great car, great deal!

A 21 yr old car with 60K miles?? Is that your church going car?
Reply/Quote