Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm so ***** sick of Boomer Esiason
(09-06-2016, 11:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: What amount of respect would a team with 0 playoffs despite being the "best team in the league" for half a decade deserve, anyways?  I'm not sure I follow this line of thinking.

continuing to deal in absolutes is exactly "absolute."  find joy in nothing.
Reply/Quote
Boomer go home, your drunk!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2016, 11:50 PM)Nately120 Wrote: What amount of respect would a team with 0 playoffs despite being the "best team in the league" for half a decade deserve, anyways?  I'm not sure I follow this line of thinking.
Our overall body of work. The only team in the nfl the last 3 seasons with 20 ints.making the playoffs the last 5 years in the toughest division in football. Winning double digit games the last 4 years. Being widely regarded as the deepest team By everyone but the media. One game a year shouldnt define our success or our respect not even seasong ending hames. 
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 08:33 AM)Jpoore Wrote: Our overall body of work. The only team in the nfl the last 3 seasons with 20 ints.making the playoffs the last 5 years in the toughest division in football. Winning double digit games the last 4 years. Being widely regarded as the deepest team By everyone but the media. One game a year shouldnt define our success or our respect not even seasong ending hames. 

None of that means sht if you can't make it in the Playoffs.

Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 08:48 AM)jeremydc Wrote: None of that means sht if you can't make it in the Playoffs.

Only to bandwagon fans who don't pay attention until the playoffs.

Anyone who says the Bengals and Browns deserve the same level of respect over the last 5 years is a clown.
Reply/Quote
Esiason has turned into a typical old turd. I'm surprised he hasn't said "back in my day blah, blah, blah", because he can't. When he played the stuff that Burfict and Jones do today wouldn't have even been discussed. He's such a hypocrite and Solomon Wilcots basically called him out on it.

As far as I'm concerned he can keep his ass in New York. He's such a D!CK.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2016, 09:00 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Doubt that winning the sb would cure anything national media wise if the steelers win the sb they will be predicted to win it the next year we win the super bowl we wont make the playoffs the next year. No respect. As an osu guy ill bring up an example. In 2014 buckeyes won title preseason rankings come out next year alabama number 1 just like they have been for the last 9 year. In this analogy steelers are alabama. We wont and will never get any respect by the national media. But that is fine by me bc we have the best team in the nfl the last 5 years. Ill take best team over respect any day. 

How do you figure that the Bengals have been the best team in the NFL for the last five years?  The Patriots, Seahawks, and Broncos have all been to multiple Super Bowls during this time, each winning one.  The Bengals have not won a single playoff game.  All three teams also have a better regular season record than Cincinnati.  Yes, the Bengals have performed well in the regular season, but they have in no way been the best team in the NFL.

As for college, the preseason rankings take into effect who graduated and left for the NFL.  They don't automatically award it to the National Championship team from the year before.
Reply/Quote
(09-06-2016, 04:09 PM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Um, what?  The '89 Bengals makes any of these recent teams look like a big bag of dicks.  Why exactly would he be jealous of teams that lose in the Wild Card round?

Man, some of you are so sensitive when it comes to this stuff.  Boomer his paid to give an opinion, in a forum that is relevant on a national level.  He's not working for WKRC or 700 where he can be a puppet like Dave Lapham.  You're never going to see the same level of support or fandom from a player who is working for national program.  He most likely wouldn't be on there if he wasn't capable of at least appearing to be unbiased.  Same goes for Collinsworth.

Btw Bradshaw just went on record saying Ben Roethlisberger is the best QB in football. Blind homerism is okay as long as you're riding the Steelers' sacks. That's just a fact.
Formerly w8ing 4 '08
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 09:15 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Only to bandwagon fans who don't pay attention until the playoffs.

Anyone who says the Bengals and Browns deserve the same level of respect over the last 5 years is a clown.

In no way do the Bengals and Browns deserve the same level of respect for the last five years, and nowhere in the media do I see that happen.  This team does not get the same level of respect as a Seattle or New England though, and I personally think that is deserved. Until they find a way to have playoff success, there is always going to be a "yeah but" when talking about their success or record.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 09:15 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Anyone who says the Bengals and Browns deserve the same level of respect over the last 5 years is a clown.

Who said that?
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 11:07 AM)PlayerFormerlyKnownAsMousecop Wrote: Btw Bradshaw just went on record saying Ben Roethlisberger is the best QB in football. Blind homerism is okay as long as you're riding the Steelers' sacks. That's just a fact.

Listen, I cannot stand Roethlisberger, think he should have gone to jail, and absolutely do not think he is the best quarterback in the NFL.  That said, trying to make the case that he is does not really qualify as "blind homerism".  The guy has two Super Bowl rings, averages over 300 yards passing per game the last two years, and leads one of the most high powered offenses in the NFL.  Unfortunately, Ben is very near the top when it comes to quarterbacks.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 11:14 AM)Wes Mantooth Wrote: Who said that?

Everyone like jeremydc who claims regular season success is meaningless if you don't win in the playoffs.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 11:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Everyone like jeremydc who claims regular season success is meaningless if you don't win in the playoffs.

Who said it was meaningless?  You've now essentially quoted him as saying that the Bengals and Browns deserve the same level of respect and saying that the regular season is meaningless.  I'll go ahead and wait for you to reply with those quotes or posts.  But I think I'll be waiting forever.

I think what he said was something like "None of that means shit if you don't win in the playoffs".  Now, I really really shouldn't continue waste my time explaining what most of us were able to understand by the age of 10.  But I'm going to, just because you're desire to twist one's word is so embarrassingly desperate.

Let's take a look at the context of his statement.  That's always important.  He's replying to someone, and he starts his reply with "none of that".  None of what?  What is none of relative to? 

I think for those following along, we can see that the conversation has been about whether or not we get enough respect and whether or not we are singled out, both in comparison to other successful teams.  And the debate, and the point he replies, has shifted to whether not our success deserves more merit, and teams of the Steelers and Ravens.  He's debating against the idea that we're not receiving our proper respect.  None of that means shit is in response to if we're able to make the statement that we're deserving of more.  It's is not however a response to the idea that there's is no worth in the regular season.

Think of it this way:  Me and you are having a debate about a brand of appliances ability to hold up over time.  You are arguing that LG's are great because they great looking machines and are the most energy efficient.  If I were to reply "none of that means shit..." and make the argument for another brand because the warranty is stronger and the components are of higher quality, I'm making that statement within the debate of whether or not they can hold up.  "None of that" means appearance and energy efficiency isn't relevant to the conversation.  It does NOT mean that I think those things are completely meaningless in general.

[Lastly, you really should familiarize yourself with the use of expressions.  These are things that are used quite often and are not always to be taken literally.  Most people with an IQ over 80, and who don't fall on the autism spectrum, are able to pick up on them.  I'll give you some homework that you can work on, just so you might be able lead a more normal life.

-Two guys are on a job site, one guy does most of the prep work, cleanup, and everything else.  The other guy moves noticeably slower and takes a bunch of smoke breaks.  The first guy tells the other guy that he "didn't do shit" today.  Does he mean A.) he literally did nothing. B.) That he likes Nickleback C.) The other guy slacked off.

-Two friends are watching a concert, at the end of the show one of them turns to other and says "That was out of this world!!!".  Does he mean A.) He really liked it.  or B.) He somehow just thought he saw a band of Aliens preform C.) The femur is the biggest bone in the body.

-A group of friends get home from a bachelor party and one of them says "That was the best night ever!!!", does he mean A.) He had a really good time. B.) It was the best night in the history of the world, for anyone, ever. C.) Pamela Anderson isn't very hot anymore.

Work on this stuff and maybe you won't be such a weirdo. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
What Bengal fan isn't salty about the playoff loss? As far as the Steelers and us; where the greasers and their the socs. They are going to get the benefit of the doubt and we will not. We have to deal with that.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 11:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Everyone like jeremydc who claims regular season success is meaningless if you don't win in the playoffs.

You misspelled "no one made this straw man argument but me"
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 12:37 PM)J24 Wrote: What Bengal fan isn't salty about the playoff loss? As far as the Steelers and us; where the greasers and their the socs. They are going to get the benefit of the doubt and we will not. We have to deal with that.

Johnny sacrificed himself by going into a burning building to save a bunch of kids though. He wasn't just sitting there telling them to deal with it. He took a stand to make a positive difference.  To save innocent, golden life.  We must not let that be in vain.

Reply/Quote
Wilcox called boomer out on this.. This is how defense should be played for the most part no one complains when steelers are knocking people out of the league or R lewis and E Reed where knocking heads off for the ravens..

so why they complain about burfict and jones?

Cause they bengals players. I guess..

Boomer is just an ass these days. wish they would refer to him as an ex jet
Reply/Quote

What you mean?  we have been to the playoffs 5 times not zero.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 01:45 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: Wilcox called boomer out on this..
And Wilcox's position makes no sense.  For a number of reasons:

1.) The difference between the Steelers and Ravens, vs the Bengals is that those team won.  Not only won, but won big.  We're talking Superbowls, rings, trophies, parades, etc.  They won the whole freaking thing, many of those involved multiple times.  And even when they weren't accomplishing being the very best team in football, they were often advancing further than we have.

The reality is, winning cures a lot of ails.  Namely, people will forget or forgive more in a game or a season that results in victory vs defeat.  Teh Bengals play, while probably no more dirty than that of these peers, is going to draw more attention to itself than it would had it not resulted in a complete implosion.

Not only did they commit a terrible foul, they committed two in a row.  This after they prematurely celebrated a victory by running into the tunnel.  They completely imploded.  They looked foolish in their behavior.

It should not hard to understand that committing back to back personal fouls that cost you the game looks worse than committing a random personal foul in a win.

2.) Forget wins and losses, let's talk about the integrity of the game, sportsmanship, and all that...

The fact of the matter is, in 2016 there is bigger emphasis on any type of hit that is to the head.  Period.  Forget the team the Bengals, or the Steelers, or the Ravens or whoever.  Forget whether the team won, lost, or tied.  Even forget when the penalty occurred. 

A player making a questionable hit in 2015 is going to be a bigger talking point than a player making the same hit in 2005.  Period.  End of story.  It has nothing to do with the players or teams.  Any hit to the head is a bigger deal now than then.  When Junior Seau  offs himself, and you hear the stories of guys like Jim McMahon, you see movies like Concussion and you know what you know now, you're going to notice hits like that more.

Wilcotts can gripe all he wants.  This team cost themselves a game in an embarrassing fashion, and featured a hit that draws more scrunity now than in 2005.  Ray Lewis and James Harrison played for better teams, didn't cost their teams games, and were at the peak of their careers 10 years ago.  The sport has changed. 

Like I said, not that hard to understand.
Reply/Quote
(09-07-2016, 11:14 AM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Listen, I cannot stand Roethlisberger, think he should have gone to jail, and absolutely do not think he is the best quarterback in the NFL.  That said, trying to make the case that he is does not really qualify as "blind homerism".  The guy has two Super Bowl rings, averages over 300 yards passing per game the last two years, and leads one of the most high powered offenses in the NFL.  Unfortunately, Ben is very near the top when it comes to quarterbacks.

Idk man. Better than Brady? Rodgers? I think saying Ben is better than those 2 is homerism. Ben has always been considered top 5ish, but I've never seen anyone outside of Bradshaw say he's for sure the best. Personally, I'd put him behind Brees as well, who has put up some of the best passing numbers in NFL history to go along with his ring.

Ben had 21 TDs to 16 INTs last year. Ranked 11th in passer rating. Has averaged 3582 yards and 22.7 TDs per season for his career. Good numbers for the most part, but he hasn't had many "elite" seasons, including last year. 1 playoff win (handed to him) over the last 5 years. Hasn't won diddly squat since Lebeau and that elite defense went away. Played like crap in his Super Bowls. I'm not saying he sucks, but you never hear any of this from the media while they're slobbering over him over the last 2 years. I just read a CBS article where they said Bradshaw was right, then they cherry picked stats (including ESPN's QBR), and conveniently left out his TD/INTs and passer rating.

I don't think there's any argument to be made whatsoever that Ben is better than Brady. So definitely some homerism (or stupidity - it is Bradshaw) there. I guess you could make an argument that Ben is 2nd, but I think 99% of the country would take Rodgers. I'd take Brees 3rd, but at this point I think people might be more split on that one. Brees put up better numbers over the last 2 years (and pretty much throughout their careers), but he doesn't have Ben's run game and he also has the worst defense in the NFL, so he's not winning.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote