Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
I think...
Frankly, they're better than I thought they'd be. However, the 19 & 20 seasons were so bad it's hard not to be better (unless you're the Lions or Jets). While I am happy we are a winning team, my mind does wander off sometimes wondering how good this team could be if we had a more proven coach.

Were the 19 & 20 teams that terrible that no coach could escape that many losses or is the 21 team so good that even Zac Taylor can manage a 7-5 record? What would our record be with a Harbaugh, Belichick, Reid, etc.? Kinda makes you wonder.

I think these final 5 games should tell us everything we need to know about Zac Taylor. I hope he realizes how bad some of the fans hate the 49ers, lol.
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 10:34 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Frankly, they're better than I thought they'd be. However, the 19 & 20 seasons were so bad it's hard not to be better (unless you're the Lions or Jets). While I am happy we are a winning team, my mind does wander off sometimes wondering how good this team could be if we had a more proven coach.

Were the 19 & 20 teams that terrible that no coach could escape that many losses or is the 21 team so good that even Zac Taylor can manage a 7-5 record? What would our record be with a Harbaugh, Belichick, Reid, etc.? Kinda makes you wonder.

I think these final 5 games should tell us everything we need to know about Zac Taylor. I hope he realizes how bad some of the fans hate the 49ers, lol.

I get this sentiment but I never understand why ZT conversations come up after games where turnovers were the key reason for the loss. ZTs game plan had Chase wide open early in the game. ZTs game plan had them within 2 points after falling way down. ZTs game plan wasn’t what threw the pick in the end zone…. I just can’t pin this one on ZT, in fact, if his players executed the game coulda been easily the Bengals IMO.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 10:58 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I get this sentiment but I never understand why ZT conversations come up after games where turnovers were the key reason for the loss. ZTs game plan had Chase wide open early in the game. ZTs game plan had them within 2 points after falling way down. ZTs game plan wasn’t what threw the pick in the end zone…. I just can’t pin this one on ZT, in fact, if his players executed the game coulda been easily the Bengals IMO.

If you wanted to get specific, I'd say people are mad about 2 specific plays.  The first would be the 2 pt conversion attempt-turned penalty-tuned zero points after the first touchdown.  That whole sequence was pretty embarrassing.  The second would be the miscommunication at the end of the second half where there were 5 second on the clock and there was no spike and no play run.  Those were both WTH moments that showed an absence of discipline.  

I'm 100 percent with you thought. The Chase play could have been a Denzel Ward INT style back breaker, but the team kept fighting.  The Mixon fumble was the knife in the heart with the team driving and in field goal range within 2 points of making up a 24 point deficit.  Absolute momentum killer.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 11:13 AM)samhain Wrote: If you wanted to get specific, I'd say people are mad about 2 specific plays.  The first would be the 2 pt conversion attempt-turned penalty-tuned zero points after the first touchdown.  That whole sequence was pretty embarrassing.  The second would be the miscommunication at the end of the second half where there were 5 second on the clock and there was no spike and no play run.  Those were both WTH moments that showed an absence of discipline.  

I'm 100 percent with you thought. The Chase play could have been a Denzel Ward INT style back breaker, but the team kept fighting.  The Mixon fumble was the knife in the heart with the team driving and in field goal range within 2 points of making up a 24 point deficit.  Absolute momentum killer.

Well yes, the 2 point conversion was on the level of Thanksgiving Lions stupidity. I’m right with anyone who wants to criticize ZT for that.

The non called play to end the half seemed like a power struggle between Joe and ZT… I actually was ok with this, no reason to put your QB with a dislocated pinky in a bad spot there whether he wanted it or not. I don’t think we were going to throw some Hail Mary there…
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 12:09 AM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Yeah. I can't stop watching it and laughing and the wife just asked me what i was looking at that was so funny. 

You need to take the vaccine, you don't want to get the ratbird's stooler stains syndrome.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 10:58 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: I get this sentiment but I never understand why ZT conversations come up after games where turnovers were the key reason for the loss. ZTs game plan had Chase wide open early in the game. ZTs game plan had them within 2 points after falling way down. ZTs game plan wasn’t what threw the pick in the end zone…. I just can’t pin this one on ZT, in fact, if his players executed the game coulda been easily the Bengals IMO.

Yep, three losses are squarely on turnovers, CLE, CHI, and LA. 

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote

Oh I totally agree with you on the turnovers being the reason we lost the game.  However, well-coached teams like the Patriots, packers, chiefs, etc. are almost always at the top regarding turnover differential.  I think these teams just have more attention to detail and focus. 

How much does Zac have to do with this?  Is there accountability with the players?  I was just wondering if we're good because of Zac or are we good in spite of him? 
"Our offensive line is going to surprise a lot of people" - Mike Brown (7-26-21)
Reply/Quote

This feels like selectively giving credit for the good and removing the bad though.

Zac isn't the offensive coordinator, he's the head coach. So that 24-0 early deficit? On him. Giving up 41? On him. Offense disappearing for long stretches? Also on him.

Tbh though, I've just always been against excuses.

When a clearly talented roster stinks it up? Blame the players, sure...but when it becomes a continual problem, that's when you have to look at coaches. Then if the coach isn't fired, you have to look at ownership, because they're the ones responsible for how the entire organization is structured.

That's how accountability works in pretty much any system with a chain of command.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I think the most frustrating aspect with this team is that we're 4th in the AFC in point differential, yet 4 teams with worse point diff have a better record than us. It seems to show how inconsistent we've been.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 06:23 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I think the most frustrating aspect with this team is that were 4th in the AFC in point differential, yet 4 teams with worse point diff have a better record than us. It seems to show how inconsistent we've been.

More bigger blowout wins than losses. 5/2

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 06:25 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: More bigger blowout wins than losses. 5/2

I know that's why, but to be capable of so many blowout wins, but only be 2 games above .500 shows inconsistency. We're capable of looking like the 99 Rams one week, then the 2019 Bengals the following week. Very frustrating.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 06:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I know that's why, but to be capable of so many blowout wins, but only be 2 games above .500 shows inconsistency. We're capable of looking like the 99 Rams one week, then the 2019 Bengals the following week. Very frustrating.

Veeeeeeeery, yes. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 06:29 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I know that's why, but to be capable of so many blowout wins, but only be 2 games above .500 shows inconsistency. We're capable of looking like the 99 Rams one week, then the 2019 Bengals the following week. Very frustrating.

(12-06-2021, 06:32 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Veeeeeeeery, yes. 

It is kind of the sign of a young, inexperienced-with-winning team though. Win a couple, get the big head and drop a stupid game you shouldn't have dropped. The next step is just learning how to focus and string more than 2 games together. 

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 06:34 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: It is kind of the sign of a young, inexperienced-with-winning team though. Win a couple, get the big head and drop a stupid game you shouldn't have dropped. The next step is just learning how to focus and string more than 2 games together. 

I hope that's the reason. This is a Super Bowl caliber squad when they're on.
Reply/Quote
They are a Young Team with a QB that is still recovery mentally from a devastating injury. They need a new Center and probably LB. They are just young. They will probably go to playoff which I wasnt expecting and I think next year they will be SB contenders.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I still think they are a year away from making a serious push in the playoffs, but so far they have (for the most part) exceeded my expectations. So I'm choosing to be pleasantly surprised rather than angry and depressed.

Besides, unlike Steelers fans, my self-worth does not come from the team I root for.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 07:02 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: They are a Young Team with a QB that is still recovery mentally from a devastating injury.  They need a new Center and probably LB.  They are just young.  They will probably go to playoff which I wasnt expecting and I think next year they will be SB contenders.

(12-06-2021, 07:14 PM)Earendil Wrote: I still think they are a year away from making a serious push in the playoffs, but so far they have (for the most part) exceeded my expectations.  So I'm choosing to be pleasantly surprised rather than angry and depressed.

Besides, unlike Steelers fans, my self-worth does not come from the team I root for.

[Image: alt-5b5a3b2582502-5456-0ae17892a53b0b8db...584@2x.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I THINK....had Burrow not thrown the interception in the end zone,Mixon had not fumbled and handed them an easy scoop and run TD,and Chase would have caught the deep ball and scored,like he should have,Bengals would have had the win.You can leave all the other bad stuff in there,including horrible performance from our back up Center,and we still would be in the win column.I THINK....this team still has a chance for a playoff run.They just need to clean things up.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 07:14 PM)Earendil Wrote: I still think they are a year away from making a serious push in the playoffs, but so far they have (for the most part) exceeded my expectations.  So I'm choosing to be pleasantly surprised rather than angry and depressed.

This. They're already at where I had them pegged for best scenario in the win column. Everything from here on is gravy to me.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-06-2021, 10:34 AM)2MinutesHate Wrote: Frankly, they're better than I thought they'd be.  However, the 19 & 20 seasons were so bad it's hard not to be better (unless you're the Lions or Jets).   While I am happy we are a winning team, my mind does wander off sometimes wondering how good this team could be if we had a more proven coach.  

Were the 19 & 20 teams that terrible that no coach could escape that many losses or is the 21 team so good that even Zac Taylor can manage a 7-5 record?  What would our record be with a Harbaugh, Belichick, Reid, etc.?  Kinda makes you wonder.

I think these final 5 games should tell us everything we need to know about Zac Taylor.  I hope he realizes how bad some of the fans hate the 49ers, lol.

Maybe you should think before you write and repost that 19 & 20 seasons to the last 10 seasons of the Jets.

2000-2010 The Jets were in 2 AFC Championships, winning 6 playoff games including the Bengals at Cincy and the Brady/Belicheck Pats at New England. 

I know a lot of Jet fans who rather their 2000 - 2020 run then our 2000 - 2020 run.   
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote