Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I've gotta give the Bengals credit...
(02-05-2018, 11:06 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: For them NOT hiring Matt Patricia.

Now, I say that tongue in cheek because I dont think he was ever a serious head coaching candidate for the Bengals (although the local media seemed to love him), but man im glad they didnt hire him.

I can honestly sit here and say I would rather have Marvin than him. The guy is a fraud and his defense finally got exposed for what it was last night.

Josh McDaniels on the other hand...

Well, there's that and the fact that most coordinators of Bill Belichick that turned into head coaches ended up not being that good.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote

Now, I say that tongue in cheek because I dont think he was ever a serious head coaching candidate for the Bengals (although the local media seemed to love him), but man im glad they didnt hire him.

I can honestly sit here and say I would rather have Marvin than him. The guy is a fraud and his defense finally got exposed for what it was last night.

it wasn't just his defense, it was both teams defense for being exposed.

Reply/Quote

If the refs rule those two Touchdowns like they did through the season the Eagles score at least 7 less and Patricia’s defense wins. No consistency on calls. Clement’s touchdown was a bobble. Ertz looked like he made a move and scored, but then again, so did James.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 01:37 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: All I know for sure is we're not winning the Super Bowl with Mike as GM and Merv as HC !

Could Patricia change that ??? I dunno

never say never....

pls remember last year philly had a losing record....
we fix our O-line, upgrade S & LB, etc we can win the AFC North ...
get hot at the end of the season anythings possible... Hmm
Reply/Quote
Don't over-complicate things. The Super Bowl hinged on the fact that Foles is a better receiver than Brady.
Reply/Quote
I agree. Not much success as a coordinator and barely has like two SB rings. Dude is a joke.

Am I doing it right?
Reply/Quote
As much as I hate Hoodie, I'm not going to question the decisions made by a 5x SB winning coach. I'm sure he had good reason. Sucks for the kid but this is the same coach that brought him off the bench against the Seahawks to make the play of his life which in return made him millions. If Hoodie kept him on the bench then we wouldn't be having this conversation. Darth givith and takith away.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 09:27 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: Don't over-complicate things. The Super Bowl hinged on the fact that Foles is a better receiver than Brady.

I can’t remember, was the Brady drop going to pretty much guarantee points? I thought it was more like mid-field. Not like he dropped a sure TD like the one Foles caught.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 08:27 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: If the refs rule those two Touchdowns like they did through the season the Eagles score at least 7 less and Patricia’s defense wins.  No consistency on calls.  Clement’s touchdown was a bobble.  Ertz looked like he made a move and scored, but then again, so did James.

The catch rule was enforced properly in both instances imo. The bobble was VERY subtle and the Ertz was an obvious TD. 

Back to OP's topic: the Pats don't have comparatively great athletes on defense. To get that unit to give up so few points in the regular season required excellent coaching. They don't have a single player on D with the athletic talents of an Atkins, Burfict, or Dunlap. It won't be until he has a few years in Detroit that anyone will really know what kind of HC he's going to be.
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 05:23 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I just think the guy is a complete cornball. From his big ass beard to the pencil thats always in his ear. 

Being from the Appalachia part of Ohio with Cincy being one bridge away from Kentucky, I'd say he'd fight right in.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 08:34 AM)Stewy Wrote: Being from the Appalachia part of Ohio with Cincy being one bridge away from Kentucky, I'd say he'd fight right in.

Sitting on the rickety front porch rocking in a chair playing banjo to the background sounds of squealing pigs.

Reply/Quote
If he coached any other team, I don't see his name ever coming up for HC. Mall Santa maybe.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 08:43 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Sitting on the rickety front porch rocking in a chair playing banjo to the background sounds of squealing pigs.

that wasn't a squealing pig, that was Ned Beatty!!!

Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 08:27 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: If the refs rule those two Touchdowns like they did through the season the Eagles score at least 7 less and Patricia’s defense wins.  No consistency on calls.  Clement’s touchdown was a bobble.  Ertz looked like he made a move and scored, but then again, so did James.

I actually think they got both of those calls correct. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(02-05-2018, 09:27 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: Don't over-complicate things.  The Super Bowl hinged on the fact that Foles is a better receiver than Brady.

LMAO... exactly!! LMAO
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 01:30 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I actually think they got both of those calls correct. 

Me too. For the most part I thought Gene and crew did a very job. 
Reply/Quote
if your last name patricia and male you must grow beard and add weight to self
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
It's hard to gauge how a guy is going to do as head coach based off success or failure as a coordinator. HCs are more about philosophy, game management, player management.

You can have a championship winning guy with a handful of HoF caliber players that's well liked, give him a team and that same guy can give you 15 years of mind numbing disappointment, excuses and dangling carrots.

Mellow

I haven't watched enough Patricia interviews to have a good opinion on the guy. I think he's ok, but he hasn't had a ton of problems to overcome. Personally, I don't pay a lot of attention to Belichek's coordinators because they rarely turn out to be good HCs.
Reply/Quote

The Pats defense had no-name talent. They played well enough to get to the Superbowl. I don't think the guy deserves crapped on.

I can think of several hot coordinator candidates with great rankings who turned out to be underwhelming duds. Hell, we have one in Cincinnati, right? It took what people considered to be a defensive genius (Marvin) until his 3rd DC to have a really strong defense. Even after that, the procedural and management side of game day has been barely average at best. It's just a different type of role.

Big time coordinator success doesn't always = great HC. Players matter, not just management. It takes both.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2018, 10:37 AM)RASCAL Wrote: that wasn't a squealing pig, that was Ned Beatty!!!

And THAT'S why I call that team from $hit$burg "The Squealers". ROMLMFAO.
Reply/Quote