Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Ian Rapoport: Bengals reaching out to non-in-house candidates
(01-01-2018, 12:06 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Would love this. Would be a bit worried if he overhauls the defense. But would love the offense with our guys.

McDaniel's time in Denver reminded me of rich parents giving an expensive sports car to their spoiled brat for their 16th birthday only to watch the kid promptly total it.
Reply/Quote
Why does everyone seem so sure Paul Alexander is on the way out? I have yet to see a single reliable source that has even brought it up as a possibility. Sure, plenty of speculation and hopes amongst the fans but nothing anywhere else.

With Marvin, the writing was on the wall when he didn't get his yearly extension back in the spring. Paul's contract may be expiring as well but he's been here for nearly 3 decades. Why is anyone assuming that will change now. We all know how much Mike values the oline and it's obviously not very much. So why would he try to better it with a new coach that's not a family friend? 

Brace yourselves, folks. Marv may very well be on the way out but I'll bet anything that Piano Man isn't going anywhere
Reply/Quote
Firings are already taking place, yet crickets from 1 PBS. I'm not buying that Marvin and co are out until it's been confirmed on bengals.com.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 01:24 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: McDaniel's time in Denver reminded me of rich parents giving an expensive sports car to their spoiled brat for their 16th birthday only to watch the kid promptly total it.

Denver isn’t some oasis. That team has loads of problems. Elway ran him off, and he has proven to be a problem himself.

JMcD learned and he will be a better coach because of it. I also think Schwartz will be as well.
Reply/Quote
H
(01-01-2018, 02:41 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Firings are already taking place, yet crickets from 1 PBS. I'm not buying that Marvin and co are out until it's been confirmed on bengals.com.

Lap has mentioned this that Mike is looking at the whole picture, coordinators and staff. The fact mike has the whole staff up means he wants changes. I can’t fault marvin for making a counter proposal and trying to make things better. It worked out 7 years ago and if he pushes mike to be more active in resigning guys or in Free Agency then it’s a win.

Plus mike has reached out to outside candidates. There won’t be a firing since His contract expired.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 01:41 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Why does everyone seem so sure Paul Alexander is on the way out? I have yet to see a single reliable source that has even brought it up as a possibility. Sure, plenty of speculation and hopes amongst the fans but nothing anywhere else.

With Marvin, the writing was on the wall when he didn't get his yearly extension back in the spring. Paul's contract may be expiring as well but he's been here for nearly 3 decades. Why is anyone assuming that will change now. We all know how much Mike values the oline and it's obviously not very much. So why would he try to better it with a new coach that's not a family friend? 

Brace yourselves, folks. Marv may very well be on the way out but I'll bet anything that Piano Man isn't going anywhere

There is no reliable sources when it comes to the Bengals, like it or not, they are one of not the best team in keeping things in house... you might as well start calling all this stuff from espn, nfl network etc "Fake News", since they have nothing right so far.. to be honest what does one or two days really matter ?? zero.. You have the Rooney rule in place, no team is going to be hiring any coach this week... 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 01:41 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Why does everyone seem so sure Paul Alexander is on the way out?

Well, his contract has expired.  Typically, if your boss is thrilled with your performance, a contract extension is offered before the current one fully expires.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 07:08 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Denver isn’t some oasis. That team has loads of problems. Elway ran him off, and he has proven to be a problem himself.

JMcD learned and he will be a better coach because of it. I also think Schwartz will be as well.

Yeah, they only won a single Super Bowl after they got rid of McDaniel and recovered from all his mistakes.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 08:34 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Well, his contract has expired.  Typically, if your boss is thrilled with your performance, a contract extension is offered before the current one fully expires.

Hasn’t he been here since 92’? Why would it matter if he had a contract or not? Seems like he has a job for life
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 08:46 PM)Captain Happy Pants Wrote: Hasn’t he been here since 92’?  Why would it matter if he had a contract or not?  Seems like he has a job for life

Don't you find it a bit curious that not any Bengals coaches are under contract to return?  I've said it before, I honestly get the feeling that Mike Brown is going to retire.  Perhaps he's wanting Marvin to succeed him as GM, and wants to turn things over to Marvin and Katie with a clean slate?

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 08:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don't you find it a bit curious that not any Bengals coaches are under contract to return?  I've said it before, I honestly get the feeling that Mike Brown is going to retire.  Perhaps he's wanting Marvin to succeed him as GM, and wants to turn things over to Marvin and Katie with a clean slate?

Stop teasing.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 08:52 PM)Takedown Wrote: Stop teasing.

Brother, I'm going to turn 49 next month.  I don't tease about things like that.  I honestly have had this gut feeling, since last offseason.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 08:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don't you find it a bit curious that not any Bengals coaches are under contract to return?  I've said it before, I honestly get the feeling that Mike Brown is going to retire.  Perhaps he's wanting Marvin to succeed him as GM, and wants to turn things over to Marvin and Katie with a clean slate?

Cry Cry Cry

Why do this?
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 08:43 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Yeah, they only won a single Super Bowl after they got rid of McDaniel and recovered from all his mistakes.

You don’t think McDaniels would have won with Peyton Manning? Heck he won with Tebow and Kyle Orton.
Reply/Quote

I hope you’re right. I just feel like they should’ve figured this out by now. I don’t see the point of waiting when other teams have already scheduled interviews
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 01:24 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: McDaniel's time in Denver reminded me of rich parents giving an expensive sports car to their spoiled brat for their 16th birthday only to watch the kid promptly total it.

Meanwhile, McDaniels racked up more Playoff wins than 15 years of Marvin. With Tebow playing QB no less.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 08:57 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Brother, I'm going to turn 49 next month.  I don't tease about things like that.  I honestly have had this gut feeling, since last offseason.

I'm only 26, fan since 03. lol. For your sake and years of suffering, I sure hope you're right... For all of ours that is.

It does seem awfully fishy that ALL of our coaching staff coincidencidentally is no longer under contract as of 2018. Almost as if it was planned for a clean slate... It crossed my mind, but I didn't honestly think it was a possibility that MB could be planning something that would actually make us all excited for 2018. Crossing fingers.
Reply/Quote
According to Jason Cole:

"One person in the #Bengals organization thinks Mike Brown is afraid to have to search for a new coach because that person might want to change too many things in the organization."

... Yeah, sounds about right Bang Head
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 09:04 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: You don’t think McDaniels would have won with Peyton Manning? Heck he won with Tebow and Kyle Orton.

I love your ability to post complete bullshit as if it is true. McDaniel's head coaching record at Denver is 11-17 or a winning percentage of .393 and he was fired before completing two full seasons. Maybe that's your definition of winning, but I don't consider a losing record as winning.

And I don't think there is any way Manning would have went to Denver during McDaniel's shit show.
Reply/Quote
(01-01-2018, 09:07 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: Meanwhile, McDaniels racked up more Playoff wins than 15 years of Marvin. With Tebow playing QB no less.

That was John Fox, not McDaniels. McDaniels is the guy who gave up his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round draft picks to trade up so he could draft Tebow in the first.

McDaniels may actually be worse than Mike Brown at personnel decision as unlikely as that may be.
Reply/Quote