Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If GM holding Marvin back, then why has Marvin never left to a better Opportunity/GM?
16 years as Bengals Head Coach. (2003-2018) & signed thru 2019 would make it 17 years.

Assuming (as some do) that Marvin is a victim at every turn of his GM Mike Brown and that GM is holding back the true Greatness of Marvin as a Head Coach (at every turn), then it seems logical that someone possessing true Greatness would want to seek Greener Pastures somewhere else to fully allow his held back Greatness to finally shine through.

Why stay 16 to 17 years in this "held back", "victim of his GM" position ?

Why not free himself, find a better fit/GM and spread those wings and SOAR ?

I remember when Bill Belichick was given the job as Jets Head Coach in 1999 then Resigned a day later. Not long after that he became the Patriots Head Coach and the rest is history. He probably didn't feel that the Jets job offered him the best path to success. He sought out what was to him "greener pastures" so to speak.

A somewhat similar event occurred with Josh McDaniels when he was announced as the Colts Head Coach in early 2018 only to withdraw from that position on the same day to stay with the Patriots as an Offensive Co-ordinator.

Tom Coughlin would not come to Cincinnati due to wanting more of a say in GM type decisions involving the Roster.

Marvin himself is said to have held up Contract negotiations in order to gain more influence regarding Coaches he can hire and GM type decisions involving the Roster.

Did Marvin get all that he asked for in these areas in terms of gaining more Power from the GM ? He must have gotten enough of what he asked for to be satisfied with, causing him to stay ?

If at any point, Marvin felt that he did not have enough influence to avoid having his GM "hold back" the Greatness that Marvin felt he would achieve if only he had a better GM; then WHY did he not put himself on the Open Coaching Market at some point in the last 16 years ?

Get multiple Teams to Bid for his services and find that right fit. Find that right Organization and GM ?

Stop being the "held back" Victim and Self Determine his own Destiny ?

Unshackle his Greatness.

To those who blame Mike Brown at every turn for Marvin being "held back" by his GM that only hands Marvin so called "talent lacking" teams, I say it was Marvin himself that CHOSE to stay with this GM for all of these years.

But Why ?

Why has he stayed ?

Why did he not Free himself at some point and let those "greener pasture" offers roll in for better Head Coaching jobs with a better GM ?

Could it be that Marvin actually holds more influence over the decisions his GM makes than some suggest ?

Not so many "better" offers rolling in from "greener pasture" teams ?

Some other reason ?  Mellow
Reply/Quote
Professional pride; I think he wants to leave this place with a championship. If he had one I think he would have left already.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
There's no doubt Mike is one of if not the worst GM in the NFL, in many, many ways. But despite that this team has had some pretty good rosters put together more than capable of post season success.

The whole Mike is holding Marvin back from true success is just the last argument the defenders of all things Bengals have to stand on. So they prop it up by it's feeble legs and keep the defense going.

I guarantee you there's not a single NFL owner/front office out there chomping at the bit waiting on Merv's departure from Cincinnati.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 02:45 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Professional pride; I think he wants to leave this place with a championship. If he had one I think he would have left already.

This.  He has said it multiple times, that he came here to bring a championship to the city of Cincinnati and that job is not complete.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 02:45 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: Professional pride; I think he wants to leave this place with a championship. If he had one I think he would have left already.

So he must then think that the situation here is not so bad that he can't ultimately win a Championship.

Would he then feel that his potential Greatness as a Head Coach can overcome the GM that is "holding him back" -OR- that he has enough influence over his GM that he can still influence things to a Championship level ?
Reply/Quote
EGO

ML is an arrogant prick, and what better way to say you are one of the best coaches ever than to take the beaten down franchise with the cheap owner and bring it a championship. It was a good plan but it did not turn out and now it is just a sour situation.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 02:53 PM)depthchart Wrote: So he must then think that the situation here is not so bad that he can't ultimately win a Championship.

Would he then feel that his potential Greatness as a Head Coach can overcome the GM that is "holding him back" -OR- that he has enough influence over his GM that he can still influence things to a Championship level ?

He probably feels that he is the greatest coach in the NFL and that if he were to win a championship with this ownwo then it would solidify that feeling around the league. Kinda of like Lebron winning a title in Cleveland.
J24

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 03:09 PM)I_C_DeadPeople Wrote: EGO

ML is an arrogant prick, and what better way to say you are one of the best coaches ever than to take the beaten down franchise with the cheap owner and bring it a championship. It was a good plan but it did not turn out and now it is just a sour situation.

Is it possible that Marvin has been reading Fred's Posts all of these years leading to the said inflated EGO Marvin may have of envisioning himself winning that Championship and overcoming the horrible GM for all of the World to see ?  Tongue
Reply/Quote
Job security!
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 03:44 PM)Ctfan73 Wrote: Job security!

That's a good one and could be it.

But why would someone who knows they have Greatness within hold that Greatness back from the World just for a Paycheck ?

I've heard of Artists that left that secure job to linger as a "starving Artist" so they could be Free to tap into that Greatness they know they have inside.

Did Marvin really trade his REP for that steady paycheck and thus deny the World of what would have been had he only left Cincinnati ?
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 03:34 PM)depthchart Wrote: Is it possible that Marvin has been reading Fred's Posts all of these years leading to the said inflated EGO Marvin may have of envisioning himself winning that Championship and overcoming the horrible GM for all of the World to see ?  Tongue

Maybe, just maybe, Merv is really Ol'Fred?  And he threw off with the Colonel Sanders picture....... Hilarious
Reply/Quote

I'd think professional pride would be exactly why he'd want to leave. Why work with a clearly inept owner that undermines your ability to win football games? Why keep accepting 1 year extensions when 99.9% of the planet views your objectively ridiculous longevity as a joke?

Unless...Marv values his comfy job security over "professional pride"?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 04:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd think professional pride would be exactly why he'd want to leave. Why work with a clearly inept owner that undermines your ability to win football games? Why keep accepting 1 year extensions when 99.9% of the planet views your objectively ridiculous longevity as a joke?

What if ole Merv is thinking F it my career is ruined why not ride this 10 million a year out as long as I can ? Get my kids set, my kids kids set, buy a small Island in the Pacific and who cares how my legacy goes ?

He knows he is held to zero accountability and doesn't have to worry about getting fired ! Ride er out, 3 more years, 5 ? how ever many ole Mikey will keep playing GM.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 04:48 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: What if ole Merv is thinking F it my career is ruined why not ride this 10 million a year out as long as I can ? Get my kids set, my kids kids set, buy a small Island in the Pacific and who cares how my legacy goes ?

He knows he is held to zero accountability and doesn't have to worry about getting fired ! Ride er out, 3 more years, 5 ? how ever many ole Mikey will keep playing GM.

I remember a quote a few years back when Marv said he would've fired himself. Yet he took the extension. How is that pride?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
This is EASY MONEY, man! He doesn't even have to win! Just stay mildly relevant every year and he gets an extension. Who wouldn't want a job that pays you millions of dollars to just show up, basically. Marvin is a smart man.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 04:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I'd think professional pride would be exactly why he'd want to leave. Why work with a clearly inept owner that undermines your ability to win football games? Why keep accepting 1 year extensions when 99.9% of the planet views your objectively ridiculous longevity as a joke?

I clearly anwsered that by saying he wants to win a championship here.  He doesn't feel like the job here is done.
J24

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 05:01 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I clearly anwsered that by saying he wants to win a championship here.  He doesn't feel like the job here is done.

Yeah, I saw and understood what you said...and that was my response. So...  Nervous

Not saying you're clearly wrong, just looking at the other side of the "pride" coin.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 05:01 PM)Jakeypoo Wrote: I clearly anwsered that by saying he wants to win a championship here.  He doesn't feel like the job here is done.

If you are correct and he "wants to finish the job" here with a Championship, then he must think that he has enough of a GM in place or enough influence over that GM, to actually get that job finished.

He judges the situation that he has chosen to stay in as not being insurmountably to bad to overcome.

His Professional Judgement of all factors said to stay & stay until the job gets done.

He doesn't feel that the GM he has in place can prevent said job from getting done. Otherwise, why stay ?

May not hurt though to have others think that the GM makes his task impossible -versus- say risking going to another team and losing that excuse by having a better GM but still never getting it done there.

Is it possible that fear of failing somewhere else without the "GM's fault" crutch factored in to him staying in Cincinnati all these years ?

Could it be that Marvin has more say so and influence here in Cincinnati than he thinks he could ever get under any of the other NFL GMs or Owners ?
Reply/Quote
There is a very simple answer to why he hasn't left for a better job.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2018, 05:45 PM)McC Wrote: There is a very simple answer to why he hasn't left for a better job.

yeah hes still employeed and no one has offered a trade lol
Reply/Quote