Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
If Haskins is there at 11...
TRADE BACK!

Get that premium draft capital and really build up the team. This team could really use an extra Day1/2 pick or two. They need two LBs, one OT, one pass rushing DT, and a TE for sure. An extra early-round pick would allow them to better accomplish that and fits in with their model of draft and develop.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 10:04 AM)ochocincos Wrote: TRADE BACK!

Get that premium draft capital and really build up the team. This team could really use an extra Day1/2 pick or two. They need two LBs, one OT, one pass rushing DT, and a TE for sure. An extra early-round pick would allow them to better accomplish that and fits in with their model of draft and develop.

I agree with this suggestion.  The team has too many positional needs to be going down the rabbit hold of introducing a QB controversy into the plot.  The offense has a good QB and skill players, continuing to build the OL and replenishing the defense will garner more wins and more fan excitement than simply throwing a new QB out there to get eaten alive.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 10:10 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I agree with this suggestion.  The team has too many positional needs to be going down the rabbit hold of introducing a QB controversy into the plot.  The offense has a good QB and skill players, continuing to build the OL and replenishing the defense will garner more wins and more fan excitement than simply throwing a new QB out there to get eaten alive.

Not to mention a QB who has displayed issues throwing on the move and handling pressure well. It's either going to result in a 1st round player who sits for 1-2 years or a starting QB who doesn't have a good enough pass protecting OL to allow him to do what he does best - pick apart from inside the pocket. Build the OL THEN get your QB of the future. Let Dalton be that bridge until that time.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 10:31 AM)ochocincos Wrote: Not to mention a QB who has displayed issues throwing on the move and handling pressure well. It's either going to result in a 1st round player who sits for 1-2 years or a starting QB who doesn't have a good enough pass protecting OL to allow him to do what he does best - pick apart from inside the pocket. Build the OL THEN get your QB of the future. Let Dalton be that bridge until that time.

This post nailed it! I really like Haskins, OSU Homer and damn proud of it, but if he has to run for his life like Andy does, then it's all for not. 
Reply/Quote

I think the only team behind us that immediately needs a QB is the Dolphins, which is 2 or 3 spots behind us. Would they really need to move up to our spot to get Haskins? Green Bay who picks at 12 isn't going to take him. I guess if your thinking that team doesn't need a QB, then yeah, trade back, but then I would think we would have to go OL then.
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 11:10 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I think the only team behind us that immediately needs a QB is the Dolphins, which is 2 or 3 spots behind us. Would they really need to move up to our spot to get Haskins? Green Bay who picks at 12 isn't going to take him. I guess if your thinking that team doesn't need a QB, then yeah, trade back, but then I would think we would have to go OL then.

Nothing wrong with going OL in the 1st round.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 11:10 AM)sandwedge Wrote: I think the only team behind us that immediately needs a QB is the Dolphins, which is 2 or 3 spots behind us. Would they really need to move up to our spot to get Haskins? Green Bay who picks at 12 isn't going to take him. I guess if your thinking that team doesn't need a QB, then yeah, trade back, but then I would think we would have to go OL then.

Unless they’re worried about another team jumping them for a qb. I think Miami is looking qb next year but no one knows but them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote

The Skins are at 15.  If they like him, they might be tempted to jump Miami to get him.  Probably our best scenario for a trade back.

And I agree about not taking Haskins. That one year of starting kinda puts me off.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote

NYG supposedly would still be interested at 17 but not at 6. They might be willing to trade up to 11 if he falls that far.
The following trade turns out to be the exact same value according to trade value chart:

CIN trades 11 (1250 pts) and 72 (230 pts) to NYG
NYG trades 17 (950 pts) and 37 (530 pts) to CIN

This would have Cincinnati picking 17th in 1st round and 37th and 42nd in 2nd round.
They would lose their 3rd rounder, however.

But personally, I see a lot of good picks being available in early-mid Rd 2 and I don't like a lot of Rd 3 prospects. So I'd be all in favor of such a trade.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote

I basically don't want to see a 1st round QB taken. I think there will be other very good players at 11 but I'd also much rather the Bengals trade back to improve their draft capital over taking a QB in Rd 1 this year.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-12-2019, 12:53 PM)ochocincos Wrote: NYG supposedly would still be interested at 17 but not at 6. They might be willing to trade up to 11 if he falls that far.
The following trade turns out to be the exact same value according to trade value chart:

CIN trades 11 (1250 pts) and 72 (230 pts) to NYG
NYG trades 17 (950 pts) and 37 (530 pts) to CIN

This would have Cincinnati picking 17th in 1st round and 37th and 42nd in 2nd round.
They would lose their 3rd rounder, however.

But personally, I see a lot of good picks being available in early-mid Rd 2 and I don't like a lot of Rd 3 prospects. So I'd be all in favor of such a trade.

I do like the idea of 2 2nd rd picks! We'd probably get a better player with the 37th pick as to what we would at the 72nd pick
Reply/Quote
If we could trade back to 17 or whatever and get an extra 2nd round pick that may well be the best play..
Reply/Quote
I think the best fit for QB for this team is Stidham. Give him a year and he will be competent.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote

While I see the argument, there is no way they will pass on him.  Remember, first and foremost, they need to sell tickets. Buckeye fans flock in 100,000+ herds to every home game.  Not saying they would all jump on the Bengals bandwagon, but I'm sure they would move the needle.  

I don't think it will matter....I see him gone long before us, but I don't see any way they would pass on him.  
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2019, 02:11 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: While I see the argument, there is no way they will pass on him.  Remember, first and foremost, they need to sell tickets. Buckeye fans flock in 100,000+ herds to every home game.  Not saying they would all jump on the Bengals bandwagon, but I'm sure they would move the needle.  

I don't think it will matter....I see him gone long before us, but I don't see any way they would pass on him.  

Maybe I'm a different kind of fan then. If things have been bad for awhile, drafting a new QB wouldn't magically make me want to flock to the games. I'm a "show me before I buy" kind of person. If the team starts showing it will do well, maybe then I'll start putting money toward it again.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-15-2019, 02:11 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: While I see the argument, there is no way they will pass on him.  Remember, first and foremost, they need to sell tickets. Buckeye fans flock in 100,000+ herds to every home game.  Not saying they would all jump on the Bengals bandwagon, but I'm sure they would move the needle.  

A 1 year OSU starter that didn't win a national championship, isn't going to fill seats regardless of the homer potential.
Reply/Quote
I loved reading today that Green Bay at 12 is bringing in two of the top QBs for visits. Lets make that #11 pick more valuable. Come on up Miami, Washington, and NYG!
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2019, 02:19 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Maybe I'm a different kind of fan then. If things have been bad for awhile, drafting a new QB wouldn't magically make me want to flock to the games. I'm a "show me before I buy" kind of person. If the team starts showing it will do well, maybe then I'll start putting money toward it again.

Yeah, I let my season tickets go last year, but it wasn't so much about the performance.  

I just think if they go after Buckeye fans, they might get some more fans in the seats....and Bengal's games are WAY cheaper than OSU, and a nicer venue. 

I am not saying I would make decisions based on this, but I wonder if the team management might. 
Reply/Quote
(04-15-2019, 03:04 PM)Stewy Wrote: A 1 year OSU starter that didn't win a national championship, isn't going to fill seats regardless of the homer potential.

He beat Michigan....That's #1 for most of them  Tongue
Reply/Quote
If Haskins is there at 11, I would assume he'd also be there at 15. A QB dropping is often a symptom of the media overhyping the "QBs are always overdrafted" narrative (See Brady Quinn as a prime example).

I would be curious to see if we could really get anything for the trade back.

I'd be all for it, of course.
Reply/Quote