Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
If Jake Browning Falters Again Let’s Try AJ McCarron
It’s time to think about the six remaining games the Bengals face. Yes, I understand there are those among us who wish the team to tank, finish 5-12, and get some nice draft picks along with an easier schedule next season. I have some strong disagreement with this strategy. Believe me, the Bengals too many issues to simply be addressed in the draft. Also, if the team tanks then Cincinnati becomes a less attractive landing spot for free agents.

The zillion pound elephant in the room is the unassailable fact that the Bengals are a dumpster fire without a healthy Joe Burrow behind center. While I want Jake Browning to succeed it’s not going to happen. The supporting cast around him is far too weak. This goes for the defense too; Lou Anarumo has been outsmarted by almost every offensive coordinator the Bengals have faced this season with the baffling exception of those in the NFC West.

Zac Taylor has a far better postseason record than any other Bengals’ coach but I posit to one and all that Marvin Lewis had better overall teams.* There was never the pressure on Carson Palmer or Andy Dalton to carry the entire team like there is on Joe Burrow — which is completely unfair to him. Carson and Andy never had to play like superstars for the Bengals to win. Unfortunately Joe does.

With this said I hope Zac reverses his rectocranial inversion and starts AJ McCarron if Jake Browning lays another egg in the game against Jacksonville. Cleveland is starting Joe Flacco this week and I reluctantly give Kevin Stefanski credit for playing a veteran — even one like Flacco who is almost eligible for Medicare. AJ McCarron has SOME NFL experience — not nearly as much as Flacco — but in my opinion AJ gives the Bengals a better chance to win than Jake. He’s been there and the game isn’t too big for him.

*No, I don’t want Marvin back. His ship has sailed.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
what makes you think that AJ McCarron, at this point, is actually better than Jake? It is not like he was ever a starting-caliber QB and he hasn't played against NFL level talent in 3 years

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Nah, Zac is going to need a rock-solid, airtight reason for benching a QB, and since Jake's birthday isn't until April....
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 12:03 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: Nah, Zac is going to need a rock-solid, airtight reason for benching a QB, and since Jake's birthday isn't until April....

Rep for googling Jake Browning's date of birth... Also probably the first to ever do so.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 12:08 AM)jason Wrote: Rep for googling Jake Browning's date of birth... Also probably the first to ever do so.

Nah, I'm sure anyone enthralled with his high school and/or college exploits has done the same thing.  Yeah, it's probably a sad group  Sad

On a side note, TD Seahawks and an eight point lead.  
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 12:16 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: Nah, I'm sure anyone enthralled with his high school and/or college exploits has done the same thing.  Yeah, it's probably a sad group  Sad

The Seahogs wearing their old school uniforms rather than those "bluer version of the boring ass modern Eagles' uniforms" they usually wear, so that's interesting.  That's about it, though.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 12:16 AM)Awful Llama Wrote: Nah, I'm sure anyone enthralled with his high school and/or college exploits has done the same thing.  Yeah, it's probably a sad group  Sad

He's a distant 3rd most interesting thing about his hometown.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 12:20 AM)Nately120 Wrote: The Seahogs wearing their old school uniforms rather than those "bluer version of the boring ass modern Eagles' uniforms" they usually wear, so that's interesting.  That's about it, though.

Always thought the silver and blue were a better combo...and dammit this is now a uniform thread and it's not even March.  
Reply/Quote
The kid made 1 mistake against a team that has been winning games with their Defense all year in his first ever NFL start.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 12:28 AM)bfine32 Wrote: The kid made 1 mistake against a team that has been winning games with their Defense all year in his first ever NFL start.

Hell, Browning's best plays were the tipped passes so he's had more mistakes turn out for the best than the other way around.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 12:32 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Hell, Browning's best plays were the tipped passes so he's had more mistakes turn out for the best than the other way around.

It's what we do. We like the QB and he throws an INT that was tipped; not his fault. We dislike a QB and he completes a pass that's tipped; his fault. 

A football is not round for a reason
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 12:20 AM)Nately120 Wrote: The Seahogs wearing their old school uniforms rather than those "bluer version of the boring ass modern Eagles' uniforms" they usually wear, so that's interesting.  That's about it, though.

I don't know, right now it's looking like last team with the ball wins.  TD Seattle and back to the eight point lead.  

Edit to add:  Sorry for derailing the thread, FIK.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 12:28 AM)bfine32 Wrote: The kid made 1 mistake against a team that has been winning games with their Defense all year in his first ever NFL start.

Unique way to characterize it. I was at the game.

Browning would have had 4 or 5 picks if not for fluke catches off of tipped balls or flat out drops by Steelers DBs.

He missed seeing open WRs repeatedly. He made a TON of mistakes. Ball placement was not good on many of what you would consider to be basic throws for an NFL QB. He seemed to take a long time to process the defense, resulting in sacks, off timed throws, or bad throws.

Browning is not ready to actually play in the NFL and there was nothing good or positive about his play. Nothing. I can't imagine Browning being on an active roster next year.

Majority of his yards came from goofy tipped passes & Mixon's busted coverage catch and run at the end. None of that is repeatable success or stuff you can build on. The guy had 1 good drive and then filled his pants.
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 08:33 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Unique way to characterize it. I was at the game.

Browning would have had 4 or 5 picks if not for fluke catches off of tipped balls or flat out drops by Steelers DBs.

He missed seeing open WRs repeatedly. He made a TON of mistakes. Ball placement was not good on many of whatbyoubwould consider to be basic throws for an NFL QB. He seemed to take a long time to process the defense, resulting in sacks, off timed throws, or bad throws.

Browning is not ready to actually play in the NFL and there was nothing good or positive about his play. Nothing. I can't imagine Browning being on an active roster next year.

Majority of his yards came from goofy tipped passes & Mixon's busted coverage catch and run at the end. None of that is repeatable success or stuff you can build on. The guy had 1 good drive and then filled his pants.

I was there and saw the same thing. 
Reply/Quote
I think that they should stick with Browning, unless he gets injured or completely loses confidence. Why? Not for "tanking" purposes, but for developmental reasons. If Browning is the guy they want backing up Burrow going forward, then he needs to become comfortable and efficient in running the offense, just as the rest of the starting offense needs to become accustomed to him leading the way.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 08:33 AM)PDub80 Wrote: Unique way to characterize it. I was at the game.

He missed seeing open WRs repeatedly. He made a TON of mistakes. Ball placement was not good on many of whatbyoubwould consider to be basic throws for an NFL QB. He seemed to take a long time to process the defense, resulting in sacks, off timed throws, or bad throws.

Yeah, Browning made several mistakes but only one was capitalized on. If you look at PFF's stat called "Turnover Worthy Plays", 9.1% of his attempts in that game registered as a turnover worthy play. That would lead the league by a sizable margin. 

I don't bring up luck very often, but Browning was very fortunate on a couple of those plays. That tip to Chase was about as fortunate as you can be. 
Reply/Quote
No sense in benching him now. This is a post season so if he improves then you have a decent back up who now has experience. If he doesn’t then they know they need to move on and you get a better draft pick.
Playing him is a “no lose” situation (except for the actual games they will lose).
Reply/Quote
(12-01-2023, 11:21 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I think that they should stick with Browning, unless he gets injured or completely loses confidence.  Why?  Not for "tanking" purposes, but for developmental reasons.  If Browning is the guy they want backing up Burrow going forward, then he needs to become comfortable and efficient in running the offense, just as the rest of the starting offense needs to become accustomed to him leading the way.

Absolutely agree. 
Reply/Quote
I find it funny that some of you people don't think it's over.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-30-2023, 10:24 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: It’s time to think about the six remaining games the Bengals face.  Yes, I understand there are those among us who wish the team to tank, finish 5-12, and get some nice draft picks along with an easier schedule next season.  I have some strong disagreement with this strategy.  Believe me, the Bengals too many issues to simply be addressed in the draft.  Also, if the team tanks then Cincinnati becomes a less attractive landing spot for free agents.

The zillion pound elephant in the room is the unassailable fact that the Bengals are a dumpster fire without a healthy Joe Burrow behind center.  While I want Jake Browning to succeed it’s not going to happen.  The supporting cast around him is far too weak.  This goes for the defense too; Lou Anarumo has been outsmarted by almost every offensive coordinator the Bengals have faced this season with the baffling exception of those in the NFC West.

Zac Taylor has a far better postseason record than any other Bengals’ coach but I posit to one and all that Marvin Lewis had better overall teams.*  There was never the pressure on Carson Palmer or Andy Dalton to carry the entire team like there is on Joe Burrow — which is completely unfair to him.  Carson and Andy never had to play like superstars for the Bengals to win.  Unfortunately Joe does.

With this said I hope Zac reverses his rectocranial inversion and starts AJ McCarron if Jake Browning lays another egg in the game against Jacksonville.  Cleveland is starting Joe Flacco this week and I reluctantly give Kevin Stefanski credit for playing a veteran — even one like Flacco who is almost eligible for Medicare.  AJ McCarron has SOME NFL experience — not nearly as much as Flacco — but in my opinion AJ gives the Bengals a better chance to win than Jake.  He’s been there and the game isn’t too big for him.

*No, I don’t want Marvin back.  His ship has sailed.
Even Browning can do some damage if the offensive line does better.  With Tee back that gives the Bengals their 3 headed monster down field again.  Maybe that offensive line will find the will to run block so the running game can breath.   Maybe the Dline gets some pressure.   Jake is far from the problem at this point, that is my point.
Reply/Quote