Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
If Jake Browning Falters Again Let’s Try AJ McCarron
(12-06-2023, 06:19 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Oh yeah I agree, but I think giving him these remaining 5 games will let us evaluate that. I think we largely already know what McCarron is, he's had time in the league, but Browning we don't know the full picture about yet. If he sees out the season, he'll have had 7 starts and that should really be enough to know whether the's a backup for the foreseeable. I think give him the games without too much fear of getting benched, to properly see what he's got. If it turns out MNF was a real outlier and he sucks, then to me it just suggests we need to try again on the backup, rather than be looking much into McCarron. 

I hear ya and mostly agree, but if we have any shot at the playoffs at all and Browning looks like Akili Smith in his next 2 starts, I wouldn't hesitate to throw McCarron out there for the rest of the year.

I'd still look for a better backup next year, as McCarron will turn 34 next year and isn't a long term answer. He probably could've been, years ago, had we managed to keep him and he'd not been injured.

I think McCarron would be solid now, as he's fully recovered, but again, not a long term solution, and I'd rather see what Browning can do. For now.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 07:51 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: I hear ya and mostly agree, but if we have any shot at the playoffs at all and Browning looks like Akili Smith in his next 2 starts, I wouldn't hesitate to throw McCarron out there for the rest of the year.

I'd still look for a better backup next year, as McCarron will turn 34 next year and isn't a long term answer. He probably could've been, years ago, had we managed to keep him and he'd not been injured.

I think McCarron would be solid now, as he's fully recovered, but again, not a long term solution, and I'd rather see what Browning can do. For now.

Yeah that's a fair point, in a 'trying to make the playoffs' crisis I could imagine turning to McCarron. Personally I'm resigned to the fact we likely are a Super Bowl contender even if we get in, but certainly take the point we'll be trying to get in if we can.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 08:33 PM)TheCincinnatiKid Wrote: Yeah that's a fair point, in a 'trying to make the playoffs' crisis I could imagine turning to McCarron. Personally I'm resigned to the fact we likely aren't a Super Bowl contender even if we get in, but certainly take the point we'll be trying to get in if we can.

Fixed it.
Reply/Quote
You've got to roll with Browning after that game. Have always said bad games are not where I draw my opinion, its how they pick themselves up and respond. Jake responded well, he looked lethargic in his 1st start and somewhat "deer in the headlights" when under pressure and taking sacks when he easily had time to throw the ball away.

Then he fixed everything in one week with much quicker and decisive throws and remained much calmer under pressure. Looked like a pro QB 100% from start to finish. It's not the easiest to do and Tom Brady made a pretty good living off those quick throws, not all QB's brains can process things that quickly without making mistakes, yet Jake made that transition smoothly. Know he will never be Tom Brady but he has earned the opportunity to take center stage. If he does ok then the Bengals have a good back up QB with experience under his belt. If he is great then the Bengals will get an extra very nice draft pick out of him. If he sux then they will know to address it next season.

Don't see him being horrid and don't see him keeping the same pace either. He will fall somewhere in between and just hoping it is on the high side like last game.

Think that was the 5th or 6th best passing % game by a Bengals QB ever by the way. Gotta see the encore.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 08:50 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Fixed it.

Yea, this. This Bengals team isn't a SB team at all. Too many weaknesses. The young D secondary, front D line iffy against the run, no run game other than a flash of one Monday nite, predictable play calling. Will be interesting to see how they play the rest of season and hopefully Zac & Co. SEE a run game is essential to success. Browning couldn't have played better. A real surprise to most watching. There were a few folks here including myself (not patting myself on the back) that said give Jake a shot with the Offense, and it appears Zac planned a scheme to fit Jake, not Joe and it worked well.

Indy may win by 14, who knows? We could as well. 5 games left? Could they win 3 of 5 and finish 9-8? Possible but probably not a playoff spot. Gonna be tough. I hope the big takeaway from Jax game is that a decent run game is positively essential with a duo of RB's, Mixon and Brown and not be a 1 dimensional pass 75% team. I hope Burrow is watching and learning as well and possibly realizes he doesn't need to be the sole kingpin in the Offense.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 09:52 PM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Yea, this. This Bengals team isn't a SB team at all. Too many weaknesses. The young D secondary, front D line iffy against the run, no run game other than a flash of one Monday nite, predictable play calling. Will be interesting to see how they play the rest of season and hopefully Zac & Co. SEE a run game is essential to success. Browning couldn't have played better. A real surprise to most watching. There were a few folks here including myself (not patting myself on the back) that said give Jake a shot with the Offense, and it appears Zac planned a scheme to fit Jake, not Joe and it worked well.

Indy may win by 14, who knows? We could as well. 5 games left? Could they win 3 of 5 and finish 9-8? Possible but probably not a playoff spot. Gonna be tough. I hope the big takeaway from Jax game is that a decent run game is positively essential with a duo of RB's, Mixon and Brown and not be a 1 dimensional pass 75% team. I hope Burrow is watching and learning as well and possibly realizes he doesn't need to be the sole kingpin in the Offense.

Completely agree with everything in this post!
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 09:11 PM)Go Cards Wrote: You've got to roll with Browning after that game. Have always said bad games are not where I draw my opinion, its how they pick themselves up and respond. Jake responded well, he looked lethargic in his 1st start and somewhat "deer in the headlights" when under pressure and taking sacks when he easily had time to throw the ball away.

Then he fixed everything in one week with much quicker and decisive throws and remained much calmer under pressure. Looked like a pro QB 100% from start to finish.  It's not the easiest to do and Tom Brady made a pretty good living off those quick throws, not all QB's brains can process things that quickly without making mistakes, yet Jake made that transition smoothly. Know he will never be Tom Brady but he has earned the opportunity to take center stage. If he does ok then the Bengals have a good back up QB with experience under his belt. If he is great then the Bengals will get an extra very nice draft pick out of him. If he sux then they will know to address it next season.

Don't see him being horrid and don't see him keeping the same pace either. He will fall somewhere in between and just hoping it is on the high side like last game.

Think that was the 5th or 6th best passing % game by a Bengals QB ever by the way. Gotta see the encore.

Highest completion % in a QB's 1st or 2nd start. In NFL history. ThumbsUp
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
I like the safe play calling and scheming they did (short and quick passes) which also neutralized the pass rush very well.

Jake was mobile “enough” to tuck and run keeping the D honest as well.

It’s almost like they planned for many pass rushes and used it to their advantage.

Similar to how Denver and the Rams outwitted the Stains stout D the last 2 weeks.

They also kept it simple - and it all worked.

Echoing what others have shared, the run game was a game changer as well.

So much good occurred in that game.

Reminded me of the San Fran game where we just looked like a well oiled machine.

Fun to watch.
Reply/Quote
(12-06-2023, 08:50 PM)Tomkat Wrote: Fixed it.

Yep, that was indeed what I meant, my bad.
Reply/Quote
(12-07-2023, 08:35 AM)Whacked Wrote: I like the safe play calling and scheming they did (short and quick passes) which also neutralized the pass rush very well.

Jake was mobile “enough” to tuck and run keeping the D honest as well.

It’s almost like they planned for many pass rushes and used it to their advantage.

Similar to how Denver and the Rams outwitted the Stains stout D the last 2 weeks.

They also kept it simple - and it all worked.

Echoing what others have shared, the run game was a game changer as well.

So much good occurred in that game.

Reminded me of the San Fran game where we just looked like a well oiled machine.

Fun to watch.
I remember Zimmer every time his defense struggled here, he would simplify things for his defense so they could let their talent and speed win games. 

Wonder if it might help this defense cannot hurt, we are not playing very well lately.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2023, 10:02 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: I remember Zimmer every time his defense struggled here, he would simplify things for his defense so they could let their talent and speed win games. 

Wonder if it might help this defense cannot hurt, we are not playing very well lately.

He did. He made the gameplan pretty simple. God he was great! Not so great a HC as a DC. But if I was given the choice to replace Anarumo with Zimmer tomorrow? I would say no. Anarumo almost won us a Super Bowl. Zimmer was here in the playoff drought and nothing magical happened. Not saying he couldn't today, but damn, Anarumo has earned his spot.

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2023, 10:19 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: He did. He made the gameplan pretty simple. God he was great! Not so great a HC as a DC. But if I was given the choice to replace Anarumo with Zimmer tomorrow? I would say no. Anarumo almost won us a Super Bowl. Zimmer was here in the playoff drought and nothing magical happened. Not saying he couldn't today, but damn, Anarumo has earned his spot.

Not talking about replacing Anarumo with Zimmer. Just think making things a little simpler could help the younger guys on the defense like Dax, Battle and Ivy.
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 09:46 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Not talking about replacing Anarumo with Zimmer. Just think making things a little simpler could help the younger guys on the defense like Dax, Battle and Ivy.

All of whom played great against the Colts....
Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 09:46 PM)BengalsBong Wrote: Not talking about replacing Anarumo with Zimmer. Just think making things a little simpler could help the younger guys on the defense like Dax, Battle and Ivy.

I get ya. And you may be right. These guys seem to be in the wrong places all the time, along with missing tackles and sloppy play. They need things simplified. Lou should know this if he's a seasoned DC. Lou needs to figure a way to protect the middle.

Reply/Quote
Wink 
(12-11-2023, 09:53 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I get ya. And you may be right. These guys seem to be in the wrong places all the time, along with missing tackles and sloppy play. They need things simplified. Lou should know this if he's a seasoned DC. Lou needs to figure a way to protect the middle.

Lou may have found his new Tre Flowers in Ivey. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-11-2023, 10:19 PM)WychesWarrior Wrote: Lou may have found his new Tre Flowers in Ivey. 

I'm not sure, but Ivey isn't as tall or long/rangy as Flowers is and Ivey seems faster/quicker twitch than Flowers was.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-12-2023, 01:07 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I'm not sure, but Ivey isn't as tall or long/rangy as Flowers is and Ivey seems faster/quicker twitch than Flowers was.

True, they're different players, I was just speculating he may have a guy he can insert into that role. 

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(12-12-2023, 01:07 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: I'm not sure, but Ivey isn't as tall or long/rangy as Flowers is and Ivey seems faster/quicker twitch than Flowers was.

Yeah, but Ivey does look like he has length, longer arms than the average corner anyways.

(12-12-2023, 01:54 PM)Wyche Wrote: True, they're different players, I was just speculating he may have a guy he can insert into that role. 

Same, I think Ivey might be able to help us against TE's, sure would be nice. They always seem to give us trouble. Hilton is small
and our LB's are not made to cover big TE's. TE's are a mismatch against us currently, we need to rectify this and Ivey might be the
answer.
Reply/Quote
I was totally wrong about Jake and that’s even if he magically turns to dog shit the rest of the season

He’s shown me things i didn’t think he could do
-Housh
Reply/Quote