Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
If Kyler Murray is sitting there at pick #11, then I would take him & Trade Dalton
A lot of people think that Murray will be good because Mahommes is good, and they are both baseball players who could easily play in the MLB. But, you know who else could very easily play baseball in the MLB???? (hint- he's our current backup) Dalton is a proven commodity.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 12:40 PM)Sled21 Wrote: A lot of people think that Murray will be good because Mahommes is good, and they are both baseball players who could easily play in the MLB. But, you know who else could very easily play baseball in the MLB???? (hint- he's our current backup) Dalton is a proven commodity.

They think Murray will be good because he can throw the hall really far with accuracy n can scramble for xtra yards like Mahomes has nothing to do with baseball. Murray will go number 1 I’m not sure why we are even talking about him dropping to #11.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 12:39 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: He gets comparisons to Russell Wilson based on height and choosing between baseball/football, but I don't see Wilson's intelligence or charisma out of this guy. Not to mention he pretty much said he wouldn't play for the Raiders in this interview:

Does anyone think the Bengals are perceived as any better than the Raiders? What if we draft him and he chooses baseball because he doesn't want to be a Bengal? Certainly seems possible with how flaky he seems. 

That was painful. That dude is not all there. 
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 05:16 PM)depthchart Wrote: Charlie Casserly (won a Super Bowl as a GM) was on NFL Network about a week ago and brought up the Bengals. He considers Dwayne Haskins & Kyler Murray to be Top Tier talents while considering Dalton to be "mid tier" & someone he would try to upgrade from with either Haskins or Murray.

Baker Mayfield acclimated pretty quickly to the NFL last year and while Dalton's experience level would serve him well initially; I would expect Murray's incredible instincts to adjust and move away from pressure in the pocket to surpass Dalton's in due time. Murray has spider like quickness and looks downfield to throw while avoiding pressure similar to how Baker Mayfield does. Only Murray is quicker on his feet than Mayfield.

Murray may be able to play behind a poor offensive line in a way similar to Russell Wilson.

That said it is a risk and we could use Dalton in 2019 while Murray develops.

Eye of the beholder though and the knife could cut in either direction. Good move or bad move.

1. Murray is NOT Mayfield, so how quickly one acclimates has nothing to do with the other.

2. Also, according to Casserly, Murray did horribly in his interviews with some teams and couldn't remember the plays he was shown.

Murray = losing bad for years.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 11:45 PM)impactplaya Wrote: QB is not what is holding this team back.
its going through 45 def coordinators and 23 OC in.the past 4 years

Sometimes you have to fill a hole before it becomes a hole, or something.  The Bears had Rex Grossman and the Packers had Brett Favre...one team decided they weren't going to blow a 1st round pick on a QB they "didn't need." My Chicago friends admit they were legit smug about that for a while.

I'm not saying we should get Muray, but not every team waits until they are 2-14 and starting 3 jouneymen per year before they see QB as a need.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 11:40 AM)BonnieBengal Wrote: This. We should not be using the #11 pick on a QB

^This.  We have much more important needs.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 03:00 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: ^This.  We have much more important needs.

Yeah, but the last 4 teams in the playoffs this year all had bigger needs than QB when they took their current starters.  I'm just playing devil's advocate, mostly here.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 02:24 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Sometimes you have to fill a hole before it becomes a hole, or something.  The Bears had Rex Grossman and the Packers had Brett Favre...one team decided they weren't going to blow a 1st round pick on a QB they "didn't need."  My Chicago friends admit they were legit smug about that for a while.

I'm not saying we should get Muray, but not every team waits until they are 2-14 and starting 3 jouneymen per year before they see QB as a need.

For me it has to do with Timing.

If one believes in Kyler Murray's ability to escape from pressure by turning on a dime to avoid defenders in a Russell Wilson type way to extend plays downfield (as I do) then you take the opportunity to grab him if he is there at pick #11.

Waiting until the 2020 Draft to find Dalton's replacement could end up being poorly timed by comparison, if say the Bengals have a better record and are picking say 20th instead of 11th in 2020. The Bengals could be forced into a very Expensive Trade UP in 2020 to get a guy that they may like at that Time.

On the other hand, the Bengals could go 4 and 12 in 2019 and have a Top 5 pick in 2020 and use it to get a Top QB making it a perfect time to do it.

If Murray or Haskins happen to be staring us in the face at pick #11 it could be seen as Perfect Timing to pull the trigger on one of them.

Don't have to Trade UP for them and may not get another opportunity like that at the EXACT MOMENT you need it in a future Draft.

It still all comes down to how they see their future with or without Dalton and how they evaluate these guys.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 03:44 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, but the last 4 teams in the playoffs this year all had bigger needs than QB when they took their current starters.  I'm just playing devil's advocate, mostly here.

This makes no sense.

The Saints were desperate for a starting QB when they signed Brees.  In 2005 they benched Aaron Brooks because he stunk so bad and Todd Bouman was starting at the end of the season.

The Patriots did not have a need, but they only used a 6th round pick on Brady.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 01:50 PM)BengalChris Wrote: 2. Also, according to Casserly, Murray did horribly in his interviews with some teams and couldn't remember the plays he was shown.

Murray = losing bad for years.

The Casserly stuff has been debunked since then. Casserly does pre draft "training" on interviews and used it as a chance to plug his services. Since then others have reported his meetings were fine. 

In terms of Murray, he is a phenomenal thrower of the ball. His accuracy and arm strength are both plus rated. He can read defenses and use his legs to make new and better throwing lanes. When you watch his adjustments in the 2nd half against Alabama you see you are getting an NFL level talent. 

All that said I don't see him making it to us at 11, but if he did trading the pick to Washington to take him could net a nice haul.  
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 04:49 PM)fredtoast Wrote: This makes no sense.

The Saints were desperate for a starting QB when they signed Brees.  In 2005 they benched Aaron Brooks because he stunk so bad and Todd Bouman was starting at the end of the season.

The Patriots did not have a need, but they only used a 6th round pick on Brady.

Ok, so that's 2 outta 4....we'll call it a draw.  

I'll change my argument then...let's see...QB isn't our biggest need now, but Marvin's coaching wasn't the biggest reason that the 2018 season stunk, it was injuries.  So why do we need to wait until we hit rock bottom before we change things up?

On a side note, I'm waiting to hit rock bottom in my real life before I do anything positive, but that's neither here nor there. I'll level with ya, I'm just procrastinating here. I don't give a crap about Murray, I just don't think we should wait until we are 2-14 and starting Scott Mitchell before we take a QB in the 1st round.
Reply/Quote
Murray juice aint worth the squeeze if you ask me.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 03:51 PM)Big Boss Wrote: He's not making it to #11.

The Cards are sitting in the cat bird seat and will dangle Murray to any QB hungry team(Miami). If the Cards don't take him it will be the next teams turn to play. He will never make it past #5.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 04:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ok, so that's 2 outta 4....we'll call it a draw.  

I'll change my argument then...let's see...QB isn't our biggest need now, but Marvin's coaching wasn't the biggest reason that the 2018 season stunk, it was injuries.  So why do we need to wait until we hit rock bottom before we change things up?

On a side note, I'm waiting to hit rock bottom in my real life before I do anything positive, but that's neither here nor there.  I'll level with ya, I'm just procrastinating here.  I don't give a crap about Murray, I just don't think we should wait until we are 2-14 and starting Scott Mitchell before we take a QB in the 1st round.

So you don't think any team should consider their current needs when drafting a player in the first round?

That is ridiculous.

Personally I want to win.  So I want us to address our needs.  And QB is not a major need.  We are more likely to end up 2-14 by ignoring our needs and using the #11 pick on a QB.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2019, 01:13 PM)depthchart Wrote: I heard a respected NFL Analyst on the Radio this morning. I believe it was on the Clay Travis Radio Show.

He thinks that Arizona would have already traded Josh Rosen were they interested in taking Kyler Murray and that Washington would have traded for Josh Rosen instead of Case Keenum had Arizona been willing to trade Josh Rosen.

He thinks Arizona will take Nick Bosa #1 overall and that Kyler Murray could fall in the Draft.

He then said that he doubts Jon Gruden would go away from QB Derek Carr, so Murray could slip past the Raiders at pick #4.

Dwayne Haskins likely the first QB off the board possibly to the Giants.

He also said that he did not think Denver would take Murray at #10 overall since John Elway does not like short quarterbacks.

I have heard this NFL Insider guy speak on numerous occasions on this Radio program and he seems pretty legit to me; though it is still his opinion.

Kyler Murray reminds me of Russell Wilson.

Murray has excellent pocket awareness, escape ability, quick release, balance, strong arm, accuracy, instincts etc.

If he is sitting there at #11, then I would take him.

Then work with Washington to get their first round pick in this year's Draft (pick #15 overall) for Andy Dalton. Maybe add a later round pick in with Andy if needed.

The Bengals would have a 21 year old quarterback on a rookie contract for the next 5 years that appears to me to be slightly quicker and faster than 6 time Pro Bowler Russell Wilson.

I like and respect Andy Dalton & have been glad to have him here as our QB; but if the opportunity presents itself then I pull the trigger on Kyler Murray (if he slips down to pick #11). Then work with Washington & Jay Gruden on a trade for Andy.

I would make this Zac Taylor's Stamp on the team but we will soon see the actual Plan taken by the Bengals. 

Zac obviously has to decide on how he Stamps this team himself. (unless Mike decides for him)  Mellow

If the chance for Kyler Murray presents itself at pick #11 then I would go for it...

if hes sitting there at 11 then its pretty apparent hes not who people think he is...

I'm not worried about murray.  I'm worried about getting the best player available that can help us THIS YEAR.

and if that player isn't there I say trade down get an extra day 2 pick and restock.
Reply/Quote
No thanks to any of the QBs in this class. We have immediate and obvious needs at LB and OL and if we fix those satisfactorialy then it is FAR better for the team than taking a flyer on a QB who has red flags.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 04:54 PM)Au165 Wrote: The Casserly stuff has been debunked since then. Casserly does pre draft "training" on interviews and used it as a chance to plug his services. Since then others have reported his meetings were fine. 

In terms of Murray, he is a phenomenal thrower of the ball. His accuracy and arm strength are both plus rated. He can read defenses and use his legs to make new and better throwing lanes. When you watch his adjustments in the 2nd half against Alabama you see you are getting an NFL level talent. 

All that said I don't see him making it to us at 11, but if he did trading the pick to Washington to take him could net a nice haul.  

Did he make adjustments or was Alabama so far ahead that they changed up their defense?  What happened in the first half where the game was actually lost?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 06:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you don't think any team should consider their current needs when drafting a player in the first round?

That is ridiculous.

Personally I want to win.  So I want us to address our needs.  And QB is not a major need.  We are more likely to end up 2-14 by ignoring our needs and using the #11 pick on a QB.

This is nothing more than your opinion. There very well be those that think this team is one piece away from making noise in the post season and they may think that piece is to replace a QB that has shit the bed every time he's been called on in the PS. 

Absolutely nothing wrong with using the #11 pick on a young QB if we see value. You sign for need; you draft for talent. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 06:01 PM)fredtoast Wrote: So you don't think any team should consider their current needs when drafting a player in the first round?

That is ridiculous.

Ehh, fine by me.  We've only had QB as a major need once in the past 16 or so years, so I guess we've been pretty spoiled as far as being able to draft what we needed elsewhere.  I'm hoping we don't just overdraft the best LB available if he isn't worth the 11th pick because that's what we need.

The draft is one of those things where we can only assume for years. Again, I remember Bears fans being pretty smug they got a RB they needed in Cedric Benson while they let Rodgers fall to the Packers who blew a 1st rounder on a QB they didn't need. The Chiefs didn't need Mahommes, unless Alex Smith was the worst player on that team and I missed it, and so on and so forth.

This QB class seems pretty maligned, so any QB who can find his arse with both hands who is under 40 is probably going to look like the better bet than these schmos.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2019, 08:15 PM)McC Wrote: Did he make adjustments or was Alabama so far ahead that they changed up their defense?  What happened in the first half where the game was actually lost?

The Bama O line took over really in the first quarter. Adjustments heading into half on the last couple drives included Murray using his legs to get outside away from inside pressure but also manipulating the safeties away from Lamb. Obviously part of it is play design, but his decision making from late 2nd quarter threw the rest of the game evolved. He got back into an attacking downfield mindset.

Also let’s be clear, that defense lost that game early.
Reply/Quote