Thread Rating:
  • 8 Vote(s) - 2 Average
If Penei was drafted at 5, is this a playoff team?
I was rewatching the Chase/Sewell Civil War on youtube today. And let me tell ya, Tony Pike gave a
Incredible breakdown on the reason to draft Chase

So I sat and thought what if Sewell goes to Cincy instead?

I dont think this team wins the North.
But I think it's right in hunt till the end, but falls
Short in its pursuit of a playoff birth.

Penei is a up and coming RT, but defenses dont gameplan
For OTs.
Chase has really made this offense dangerous and he is
Making DCs like Spagnulo look stupid
Reply/Quote
No offense to you OP or personal slight intended, but NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO... not another Sewell v Chase thread.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Really?
Reply/Quote
[Image: 52425229.jpg]

Reply/Quote
I don't think so. This isn't because Penei is a bad player. He's had a great rookie year and would be an upgrade on our line, but Chase is such an explosive and valuable player. Chase has turned this offense into one of the most dangerous offenses in the entire league. Sewell would not have done this.

Long story short, we would be happy with the Sewell pick but we are ecstatic with the Chase pick. Chase was the right pick.
Reply/Quote
Yes. When Chase was struggling in games 8-14, Higgins was balling. Higgins and Chase is still a plus starting duo, and I'm sure we would've drafted a deep threat somewhere else.

Penei has graded solidly in year 1, and would've made our line better.

All this said, I feel safe saying we made the right choice. Seeing how Burrow didn't get hurt. We were fortunate in that regard, seeing how we gave up 51 sacks.

Since we got away with getting Chase and Burrow made it to the end, we did great. Now go fix the line and let's PLEASE let this thing die. For the love of God.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Nope, we probably win at least 2 fewer games -Chase +Sewell.

The gain we get from Sewell at tackle over either of our tackles OR at guard isn’t what we got from Chase moving into our top 3 WR’s for a team that has a ton of 3 WR sets.

That’s no knock of Sewell. I wanted Chase and even I didn’t expect this from him this quickly. Home run, and pretty clearly the right pick after one season of evidence.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 11:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yes. When Chase was struggling in games 8-14, Higgins was balling. Higgins and Chase is still a plus starting duo, and I'm sure we would've drafted a deep threat somewhere else.

All this said, I feel safe saying we made the right choice. Seeing how Burrow didn't get hurt. We were fortunate in that regard, seeing how we gave up 51 sacks.

Since we got away with getting Chase and Burrow made it to the end, we did great. Now go fix the line and let's PLEASE let this thing die. For the love of God.

Hell I thought it died months ago... At any rate... Yeah we did the right thing. Now we can cut bait on Waynes throw his money at a proven lineman, and draft another and a corner early next year. Preferably with the 32nd and 64th picks.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 11:14 PM)jason Wrote: Hell I thought it died months ago... At any rate... Yeah we did the right thing. Now we can cut bait on Waynes throw his money at a proven lineman, and draft another and a corner early next year. Preferably with the 32nd and 64th picks.

It mostly died, but not dead enough for my tastes.

We can now push all our chips in on the line. I don't think anyone will have a problem with that this time around. Although I'm sure we'll hear murmurs about tight end or maybe a LB. 

I'd spend the top 2 picks on linemen and bring in a couple A-B tier free agents. Why not at this point? I don't see any glaring weakness other than line.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
No.
Reply/Quote
Yep, cause we still have Joe Burrow. Plus:

We take Peneii in RD1 then we're set at OT so we turn our attentions to a pure interior Olineman in RD2 so we take Creed Humphrey. Obviously we stick with Ossai in RD 3. Now we need a WR so we take Amon-Ra St. Brown in RD 4. No need for a OT in RD 4 comp so we pass on Smith and take a TE in Brevin Jordan. In RD 6 we obviously don't need a C because we grabbed Creed in the 2nd, but we do need a versatile olineman and we grab another Trey in Smith.

So although drafting Chase was OK, he cost us:

Peneii Sewell
Creed Humphrey
Amon-Ra St. Brown
Brevin Jordan
Trey Smith
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
This is still up for debate? What sorcery is this?
#WhoDey
#RuleTheJungle
#TheyGottaPlayUs
#WeAreYourSuperBowl

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 11:09 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Yes. When Chase was struggling in games 8-14, Higgins was balling. Higgins and Chase is still a plus starting duo, and I'm sure we would've drafted a deep threat somewhere else.

EXACTLY! Just because one decision is great, doesn't mean the other is bad. I was team Chase, but only once the news was filtering out about Burrow lobbying for him. Burrow doesn't seem like the kinda guy that would throw a fit over not getting his dude, but by getting his transcendent talent friend and former teammate, I didn't really see a downside.

I think we can all agree that we will pull out the pitchforks and torches if we don't add a lot to the line this offseason.
Reply/Quote
Sewell is a good player. It is impossible, however, for him to directly promote wins in the way that Chase has. A tackle simply cannot do that. The Bengals would have progressed more slowly and, by extension, won fewer games. They have desperately needed some of Chase’s explosive plays in close games.

Maybe Sewell results in 10-15 fewer Burrow sacks (that feels extremely generous on my part), but the scoring production of the offense almost certainly does not compensate for what could-have-been by way of Chase.
Reply/Quote
Michael Irvin was right. Dead nuts on the money. But!

We might not have seen just how right he was without Spain, Reiff, and Pollack being added to the mix. Good moves compounded another good move.
Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 11:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yep, cause we still have Joe Burrow. Plus:

We take Peneii in RD1 then we're set at OT so we turn our attentions to a pure interior Olineman in RD2 so we take Creed Humphrey. Obviously we stick with Ossai in RD 3. Now we need a WR so we take Amon-Ra St. Brown in RD 4. No need for a OT in RD 4 comp so we pass on Smith and take a TE in Brevin Jordan. In RD 6 we obviously don't need a C because we grabbed Creed in the 2nd, but we do need a versatile olineman and we grab another Trey in Smith.

Peneii Sewell
Creed Humphrey
Amon-Ra St. Brown
Brevin Jordan
Trey Smith

LOL…. Oh boy. I’ll have some of whatever you are having. I’m so glad to know that you know what happens in an alternate universe.

I would say if we signed golloday, we go Sewell over chase, but anything after that is just beyond hypothetical.
Reply/Quote
Sewell would have been a fine pick. He’s played well this year, and there’s no reason to think he won’t get even better.

Chase may have looked worse if he ended up with Tua throwing to him. I’m not trying to take anything away from him as an individual player, but that pre-existing chemistry with Burrow certainly gave him a head start to superstardom. BUT…it’s also played a role in getting Burrow there this quickly.

I think that relationship is at least partially responsible for some Bengals wins this year, and you’re silly if you disagree. I don’t think we’re a playoff team (YET) if Sewell were here instead.
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-05-2022, 11:29 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Yep, cause we still have Joe Burrow. Plus:

Peneii Sewell
Creed Humphrey
Amon-Ra St. Brown
Brevin Jordan
Trey Smith

Don't you love being able to look back at what worked in the draft and then just go back and select all those players? Maybe you could even find a better combination with Micah Parsons and say we should have done that.

Yeah, Chase cost the Bengals all that. /sarc
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 12:11 AM)Nepanyrush Wrote: Don't you love being able to look back at what worked in the draft and then just go back and select all those players? Maybe you could even find a better combination with Micah Parsons and say we should have done that.

I’m glad someone else caught that. Lol

Bengals could have drafted Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Patrick Mahomes too.
Reply/Quote
(01-06-2022, 12:07 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: LOL…. Oh boy.  I’ll have some of whatever you are having.  I’m so glad to know that you know what happens in an alternate universe.

I would say if we signed golloday, we go Sewell over chase, but anything after that is just beyond hypothetical.

(01-06-2022, 12:11 AM)Nepanyrush Wrote: Don't you love being able to look back at what worked in the draft and then just go back and select all those players? Maybe you could even find a better combination with Micah Parsons and say we should have done that.

(01-06-2022, 12:13 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: I’m glad someone else caught that. Lol

Bengals could have drafted Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, and Patrick Mahomes too.

[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote