Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1 Average
If This Organization Loses In The Playoffs
(01-09-2022, 01:45 AM)fredtoast Wrote: I know a lot of people here will disagree, but if we don't make it to the Super Bowl to me there is not a huge difference between "making the playoffs" and "winning a playoff game".

"Making the playoffs" is an epic 18 week battle. To me that means as much. if not more, than a single 3 hour game controlled by the rule of "on any given Sunday". So unless it is a Conference Championship Game to get to the Super Bowl a mere playoff win is no more impressive than making the playoffs/

The huge difference is just not having to hear how many years since a playoff win.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
It'll be very nice to get that monkey off of our backs, but in principle I agree with fredtoast. Winning a playoff game isn't really a meaningful standard, and it only seems like it is when you've not done it for 31 years. I think the first accomplishment that is truly memorable outside just one's own fanbase after making it to the playoffs at all is probably playing in a conference championship game. So get a bye and win one or just win two. Otherwise nobody cares about the divisional round.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 09:47 AM)M.W. Wrote: Also demolish Paul Brown Stadium.  Relocate the Bengals to Canada. 

Here you go ...

[Image: hamilton-tiger-cats-helmet.jpg]
[Image: 4540978331_3e8fe35323.jpg]
Reply/Quote
If they lose, so be it. They’ve had a magical season this far, far exceeding expectations. And if they lose, they’ll go down swinging with this young “don’t know no better” roster. I feel far more confident in this group winning in the playoffs than I have any team aside from 2015, so if they lose, they’ll be back next season, hopefully hungrier and even more focused.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 11:36 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: If they lose, so be it. They’ve had a magical season this far, far exceeding expectations. And if they lose, they’ll go down swinging with this young “don’t know no better” roster. I feel far more confident in this group winning in the playoffs than I have any team aside from 2015, so if they lose, they’ll be back next season, hopefully hungrier and even more focused.

Agreed with your post. There is also value in having the young players experience playoff football. Even if they do not win, there is hope that Zac, Burrow, and many of the players learn something from their experience as they head into the '22 season.
Reply/Quote
I forgive almost any manner of Bengal Fan curmudgeonry and I sometimes recommend fans go out of their way to think along those lines. We cannot forget that this franchise has, at the end of every season for the last 3 decades, landed the Cessna upside-down on the tarmac.

But even I have a newfound sense of optimism and I’m still doing pirouettes after that KC win. Won a division against a team I gave this bunch zero chance to beat, and they did it after the Chiefs came out being all Chiefy for 30 mins and us coming out being slightly above Bungle for that same 30. That they found a way to overcome that shocked and overwhelmed me in the fashion of an aggressive 3 day kung-fu boner.

This group may not get it done this year, but if it doesn’t, I think it comes back even better next year.

There aren’t many times that we should legitimately just be excited, but this is one of them. Don’t let it pass you by.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 01:25 PM)RunKijanaRun Wrote:  We cannot forget that this franchise has, at the end of every season for the last 3 decades, landed the Cessna upside-down on the tarmac.

So have half of the other teams in the league.

Only 16 teams have ended a season with a postseason win since 1991.

Not saying it is acceptable in any way.  Just pointing out that it is not a problem just for the bengals.
Reply/Quote
Bring back Andy, he owes us 4 playoff wins. LOL
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 09:54 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger
What should be done?

Bulk up that OL even more.
We've now seen how both the passing game and running game can succeed with a middle-of-the-road-at-best OL.
Get the right side to where the left side is and this offense should be even better.

Also, move on from Waynes and get a player who will actually contribute.

Maybe draft another pass rusher and/or LB to upgrade the front seven.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 02:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Also, move on from Waynes and get a player who will actually contribute.

Agree 100% with moving on from Waynes, but it is not always possible to know what players will end up injured.  Waynes only missed 6 games in 5 years (never more than 2 in a season) before we signed him.

When we let Johnathan Joseph leave in free agency and re-signed Leon Hall I believe it was mainly because Joseph had a lot of problems with injuries while Hall had never missed a game.  Then the very next season Hall started having injury issues while joseph went to the Pro Bowl.
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 11:36 AM)The D.O.Z. Wrote: If they lose, so be it. They’ve had a magical season this far, far exceeding expectations. And if they lose, they’ll go down swinging with this young “don’t know no better” roster. I feel far more confident in this group winning in the playoffs than I have any team aside from 2015, so if they lose, they’ll be back next season, hopefully hungrier and even more focused.

I've come around to the one-and-done isn't going to be a world-ender, this year. They're young and have a QB that gives promise to upcoming years. 

I actually felt the same way about the 2011 Bengals and the "experience" they got playing in the WC round that year. They weren't ever able to get over the hump but this is an entirely new iteration, so...

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 02:16 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Agree 100% with moving on from Waynes, but it is not always possible to know what players will end up injured.  Waynes only missed 6 games in 5 years (never more than 2 in a season) before we signed him.

When we let Johnathan Joseph leave in free agency and re-signed Leon Hall I believe it was mainly because Joseph had a lot of problems with injuries while Hall had never missed a game.  Then the very next season Hall started having injury issues while joseph went to the Pro Bowl.

I know, but Waynes hasn't really even been that good in the few games he has played in.
I'd rather free up the $11 mill in cap to put toward someone else, as I've lost confidence in Waynes being able to either A) stay healthy, and B) be an above-average starter in this defensive scheme.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 01:01 AM)jason Wrote: Outside the box thinking.... I like it.

I'm not big on the "ahead of schedule" or "house money" narratives right now, but should they lose next Sunday (and they won't) I'm not gonna be screaming 31 years without a playoff win.

None of this matters. We're advancing to the 2nd round.

Easy to have "Outside The Box" thinking when you lived in Jacksonville and had Jaguars season tickets for many years like I did. 

My buddies there have watched the Urban Meyer Meltdown Show and Elf Boy the Interception King all year and are dressing up in clown suits today to embarrass the owner into firing the incompetent GM. They have a couple more years of Trevor Lawrence running the franchise into the ground before the fanbase abandons the team and Shad Khan can move it to London. 

We have our own problems as Bengals fans, but this season and situation don't feel worthy of real angst to me. 

I'm thrilled with this season and can't wait to get off the plane and head to PBS for the game next weekend. 
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 10:01 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: Start identifying free agent targets and draft prep. '21 has been a good season. Head into '22 with optimism if no playoff win(s) or Super Bowl victory this year.

This.  ^^^
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 02:02 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bulk up that OL even more.
We've now seen how both the passing game and running game can succeed with a middle-of-the-road-at-best OL.
Get the right side to where the left side is and this offense should be even better.

Also, move on from Waynes and get a player who will actually contribute.

Maybe draft another pass rusher and/or LB to upgrade the front seven.
Tiger

Who the offensive lineman coming up for FA?
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 04:10 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

Who the offensive lineman coming up for FA?

LT Terron Armstead Saints. He is a All Pro LT that the Saints cannot afford to pay since they are so far over the cap. He is going to have offseason surgery but should be fine for next year. Just a matter if the Bengals want to pay top dollar for him. 
Reply/Quote
(01-08-2022, 09:54 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger
What should be done?

Continue with what should be the last little bit of roster purge. Looking mainly at you wayans. They should be able to draft a good cb in round 1 or 2. Ol should be the priority concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 05:26 PM)SuperBowlBound! Wrote: LT Terron Armstead Saints. He is a All Pro LT that the Saints cannot afford to pay since they are so far over the cap. He is going to have offseason surgery but should be fine for next year. Just a matter if the Bengals want to pay top dollar for him. 

Doubt the Bengals want to spend all their salary space. Bates will take up a bunch but Wayne’s saved money might be enough. They’ll lose Ogunjobi. The Brown family other than last year haven’t been active in FA. It will be an interesting watch. The good news is that free agents are more likely to want to come here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 02:43 PM)Since1970 Wrote: Easy to have "Outside The Box" thinking when you lived in Jacksonville and had Jaguars season tickets for many years like I did. 

My buddies there have watched the Urban Meyer Meltdown Show and Elf Boy the Interception King all year and are dressing up in clown suits today to embarrass the owner into firing the incompetent GM. They have a couple more years of Trevor Lawrence running the franchise into the ground before the fanbase abandons the team and Shad Khan can move it to London. 

We have our own problems as Bengals fans, but this season and situation don't feel worthy of real angst to me. 

I'm thrilled with this season and can't wait to get off the plane and head to PBS for the game next weekend. 

I heard they're taking a hard look at Bill O'Brien down there... Lord have mercy.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(01-09-2022, 11:03 AM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: It'll be very nice to get that monkey off of our backs, but in principle I agree with fredtoast. Winning a playoff game isn't really a meaningful standard, and it only seems like it is when you've not done it for 31 years. I think the first accomplishment that is truly memorable outside just one's own fanbase after making it to the playoffs at all is probably playing in a conference championship game. So get a bye and win one or just win two. Otherwise nobody cares about the divisional round.

Fred just says this bc then we can all say burrow>Dalton and all his arguments are moot 
Reply/Quote