Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If by some miracle
McNugget is ok, but he isn't going to take us anywhere in the playoffs. Best case scenario, he has the best 3 games of his life, we secure the #2 seed and Dalton miraculously heals by the time we play because of his close relationship with God. That is the only way this works out!
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 02:47 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: McNugget is ok, but he isn't going to take us anywhere in the playoffs. Best case scenario, he has the best 3 games of his life, we secure the #2 seed and Dalton miraculously heals by the time we play because of his close relationship with God. That is the only way this works out!

Keep God out of it.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 02:41 PM)BigSeph Wrote: Let me get this straight-

To you, throwing to the open WR is a bad read?

Is McCarron responsible for global warming and the stagnant US economy too?

Everybody knows how to beat cover2.  Laserbeams to WRs between the CB and S along the sideline and drag+post combinations over the middle.  Smash routes by slot+TE, post corner+fly combos on one side. You think AJ, an NFL QB, is unaware of this?

He seemed to make the proper read, but just screwed up the throw.

Ugh.
I will try to slow down for you.

It's a bad read because he didn't read the S over top. If he did, he would have thrown it underneath where AJ slowed to sit the route.
It's a bad throw because it was into coverage and 15 yards too deep.
Bad read, bad throw. 

Well, apparently he is. 
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 03:04 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Ugh.
I will try to slow down for you.

It's a bad read because he didn't read the S over top. If he did, he would have thrown it underneath where AJ slowed to sit the route.
It's a bad throw because it was into coverage and 15 yards too deep.
Bad read, bad throw. 

Well, apparently he is. 

He read cover2.
He threw it too deep.

Not a bad read.  A bad read would be throwing it to the wide flat or to a curl route being shadowed by a LB.  Something covered by cover2.

This is an example of a bad read:
Andy Dalton vs. Cover2

A good read in the Dalton video would have been the smash route toward the bottom of the screen, which would have been a completion.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 02:11 PM)BigSeph Wrote: That was a good read, didn't put enough on the throw.  That's where you have to go with the ball though.

It was the right read. Some of these guys are unreasonable. Just ignore or your rep points will take a dive trust me.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 03:04 PM)Fresno B Wrote: Keep God out of it.

Lol guess I forgot the Ninja . It was sarcasm.

The fact that you got so worked up over that is a little alarming. Scared of religion much? lol
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 03:11 PM)BigSeph Wrote: This is an example of a bad read:
Andy Dalton vs. Cover2

A good read in the Dalton video would have been the smash route toward the bottom of the screen, which would have been a completion.

Do you have that saved as a favorite in your browser??? Found that pretty quick!
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 03:11 PM)BigSeph Wrote: He read cover2.
He threw it too deep.

Not a bad read.  A bad read would be throwing it to the wide flat or to a curl route being shadowed by a LB.  Something covered by cover2.

This is an example of a bad read:
Andy Dalton vs. Cover2

He didn't just throw it too deep
He threw it where he thought AJ was going to get it. 

Again, if he read the coverage, the throw wouldn't have been to where it was. 
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 03:16 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Do you have that saved as a favorite in your browser??? Found that pretty quick!

I just googled "Andy Dalton cover2" and it was on the 1st page of results.

It's not hard to find NFL QBs who make a bad read every so often.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 03:24 PM)BigSeph Wrote: I just googled "Andy Dalton cover2" and it was on the 1st page of results.

Like a lot of AJ McCarron yesterday. 
But you will ignore that.
Even his good reads were mostly bad throws, save a few. 
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 03:16 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: He didn't just throw it too deep
He threw it where he thought AJ was going to get it. 

Again, if he read the coverage, the throw wouldn't have been to where it was. 

Oh OK, so the guy who came in and was admittedly sailing throws high/deep rather frequently the entire game just happened to make a bad read on a throw that ended up being too high/deep.

Because that's what you want to think.

Here's Trent Green, a former QB, and his exact comments after the incompletion to AJ vs Cover2:

"Well, he floated it a little bit much.  This one got away from him as AJ Green was working that left sideline and he found a gap between the corner and safety as the Steelers were in a Cover2.  AJ McCarron not recognizing it right away and just floated it a little too much."

Emphasis mine.  That means he made the proper read, but not quickly enough, and the throw was a bad throw.

Exactly what I said.

Now I've had just about enough of you for the day, it's not my job to teach you about football.  And I sure as heck don't feel like arguing about football with someone who doesn't understand the difference between a bad read and a bad throw.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 03:25 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: Like a lot of AJ McCarron yesterday. 
But you will ignore that.
Even his good reads were mostly bad throws, save a few. 

280 yards, 67% completions, 2 TDs worth of bad throws.

Sure pal.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 02:09 PM)BigSeph Wrote: Here's what I saw-

On the pick6, he's throwing off his back foot with a guy's helmet in his chest, didn't get enough on the throw.  Gay bird-dogged it because he's a vet CB and McCarron himself said they fooled him on the coverage.  Go watch the play and tell me what you think of Whitworth's block.  He has to at least get into the defender for 2-3 seconds and then move down to block.

Quite frankly those are not the kinds of calls you want to make when you are backed up near the goal line, putting a green QB in that situation.

So some blame goes to Hue on that playcall, some to Whit, and some to AJ.  I'll spread that blame around.

The duck to Marvin was just a bad throw.  It happens.

The INT to Sanu, the ball was over the middle and high, worst combination in the NFL.   100% on AJ's shoulders there.

I think the claim that he's "oblivious to pressure" is the most ignorant comment made by Royce (and it's not the first time he's claimed it).  AJ did the old Peyton Manning "dive" move when Allen and McClendon were converging to sack him, and both of those guys got hurt instead of AJ.  When he did get pressured he moved out of the pocket and threw the ball away, except for 5/7 step drops where his plant point was being converged on by defenders and all you can really do in those situations is slide up in the pocket.  If the pocket is in your lap already, you can't do much.

Now don't think that I'm unwilling to criticize AJ, because he was sailing throws over the middle to WRs.  Those throws will get picked off if his WRs don't sacrifice themselves over the middle, and if they do that, they increase the likelihood that one of them will get hurt.  He had Marvin moving to the sidelines on a scramble play but didn't set his feet and point his shoulders to get the completion.

But some things that are being taken for granted-

AJ had very few reps w/ the 1st team in practice this week, so timing will be better next week with WRs.

QBs who come into those situations in a rivalry game and don't completely poop the bed are rare.

No delay of game penalties, he seemed to be comfortable changing/flipping plays and reading defenses.

He moved through his first 2 reads consistently, panicked when required to throw to 3rd or 4th read - this will improve as the game slows down for him.

There are basically 2 legitimate criticisms of AJ from Sunday's game-

I expect a much better performance next week.  But really, a lot of NFL teams would love to have these 1st world problems where a backup QB enters the game with barely any NFL experience and completes 67% of his passes, 9+ YPA, and has a higher QBR than his HOF counterpart across the field.

He's the best backup we've probably ever had.  No question.  

I know you haven't been around that long....but if that EXACT same scenario unfolded on the pick six with AD.....he'd be getting crucified on here.  

I sure hope AJ can rally this team.  He's serviceable....but his arm is questionable.  The bright side is that in college he made smart decisions typically , so hopefully more reps will lead to that in this league.  He's our only shot....he's got grow in a hurry.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 12:49 AM)Bengal Jells Wrote: Aj plays well and we make it to or even win a superbowl, who starts next season?

Don't know for sure.

Now if AJM wins the SB for us, how does that affect AD's contract?
Would AD still get the SB bonus added to his annual salary?
Reply/Quote
If AJ goes on a tear and leads us to the playoffs and a Super Bowl victory that'd be awesome, but this is Andy Dalton's team. Andy will start next season and AJ will either be on the bench or starting for someone else since I could see a team giving up picks to get him (this is the NFL after all).
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 03:24 PM)BigSeph Wrote: I just googled "Andy Dalton cover2" and it was on the 1st page of results.

Strange. I typed in Andy Dalton cover 2 into Google and only found articles about his ESPN magazine cover. Wasn't as easy to find as you claim it to be.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 05:33 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Strange. I typed in Andy Dalton cover 2 into Google and only found articles about his ESPN magazine cover. Wasn't as easy to find as you claim it to be.

Not everyone gets the same google results based on geography and search history.

Don't quit your day job, Sherlock.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=andy+dalton+cover2

Comes up as "Watch Marco's Vine", search result #7 for me.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 12:49 AM)Bengal Jells Wrote: Aj plays well and we make it to or even win a superbowl, who starts next season?

I  would ask my star wide receiver who he wants, off the record of course.
Miss Otis regrets she's unable to lunch today.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 09:28 PM)Toy Cannon Wrote: I  would ask my star wide receiver who he wants, off the record of course.

You might do better to survey the entire team, if you're asking preferences..  Just sayin'

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 03:41 PM)BigSeph Wrote: Oh OK, so the guy who came in and was admittedly sailing throws high/deep rather frequently the entire game just happened to make a bad read on a throw that ended up being too high/deep.

Because that's what you want to think.

Here's Trent Green, a former QB, and his exact comments after the incompletion to AJ vs Cover2:

"Well, he floated it a little bit much.  This one got away from him as AJ Green was working that left sideline and he found a gap between the corner and safety as the Steelers were in a Cover2.  AJ McCarron not recognizing it right away and just floated it a little too much."

Emphasis mine.  That means he made the proper read, but not quickly enough, and the throw was a bad throw.

Exactly what I said.

Now I've had just about enough of you for the day, it's not my job to teach you about football.  And I sure as heck don't feel like arguing about football with someone who doesn't understand the difference between a bad read and a bad throw.

Hilarious Tearing his behind up. Keep up the good work. Your a breath of fresh air. Rock On
Reply/Quote