Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If by some miracle
(12-14-2015, 05:29 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: If AJ goes on a tear and leads us to the playoffs and a Super Bowl victory that'd be awesome, but this is Andy Dalton's team. Andy will start next season and AJ will either be on the bench or starting for someone else since I could see a team giving up picks to get him (this is the NFL after all).

Hum, that's exactly what Drew Bledsoe thought, but Belichick was thinking about more SBs and made a different choice.

Not saying that AJM will perform that well, but you gotta go with the guy who wins in the post season since that's what it's all about.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Brady started almost the entire 2001 season after Bledsoe ruptured his spleen, so they had a much better idea of what they had. Dumping a franchise MVP candidate QB for his backup based on 5-6 games would be foolhardy at best.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 10:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Brady started almost the entire 2001 season after Bledsoe ruptured his spleen, so they had a much better idea of what they had. Dumping a franchise MVP candidate QB for his backup based on 5-6 games would be foolhardy at best.

At this point it's all speculation. I just hope we win in the regular season enough to get a bye in the playoffs, then win some playoff games. This team needs to take the next step no matter who plays QB. If we win no one will give a rats ass if AJM or AD took the field.

Reply/Quote
Simple. You start Dalton during the regular season and McCarron in the playoffs.
To each his own... unless you belong to a political party...
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 10:28 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Brady started almost the entire 2001 season after Bledsoe ruptured his spleen, so they had a much better idea of what they had. Dumping a franchise MVP candidate QB for his backup based on 5-6 games would be foolhardy at best.

The 49ers did it. Granted, Smith wasn't doing as well.

But then again, in the long run we're seeing how that turned out for the franchise.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 01:56 AM)TKUHL Wrote: No reason to hang our heads, we still have a ton of talent. AJ just needs to manage the game. Dalton was having one hell of a year because of the weapons around him and so will AJ. The D is a different story. Everyone needs to heal up in a hurry.

He's going to need to do a lot more than manage the game if he gets a chance to face the Patriots and/or Panthers.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
Here is the strange thing with all this to me. Ever since about last Tuesday/Wednesday I have have the words "Unlikely Hero" stuck in my head.
I don't claim any kind mystic powers or anything like that but I've had it happen before. Maybe this is what it's all about and AJ will get us to the Super Bowl.

I just wish it would happen with lottery numbers.
Reply/Quote

IF those 5-6 games resulted in a Super Bowl win, then no, it wouldn't be foolish.  You can't tell me that winning the Super Bowl wouldn't be enough evidence for you to keep him around - especially if it meant beating the Patriots on the road in the AFC Title game.

IF, and it's a big IF, that happened, I would have no problem dumping a $20 million per year contract and using it in other spots to make sure this team returned everyone for the next few years, plus adding an extra first rounder from a trade.

I doubt this scenario plays out, but if it did, I wouldn't see a problem with moving Dalton.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 10:11 AM)knc42 Wrote: Here is the strange thing with all this to me.  Ever since about last Tuesday/Wednesday I have have the words "Unlikely Hero" stuck in my head.
I don't claim any kind mystic powers or anything like that but I've had it happen before. Maybe this is what it's all about and AJ will get us to the Super Bowl.

I just wish it would happen with lottery numbers.

You sound a bit crazy. You'll fit in this forum just fine.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Remember all the posts on the old board talking about how the Bengals should draft Cardale Jones?  How he was the second coming of Roethlesberger, but even better?  He had a great run, but couldn't even keep a starting job in college.  You are completely correct.  Dumping Dalton, who was a legitimate MVP candidate this year, would be crazy based on just a few games.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 12:40 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Remember all the posts on the old board talking about how the Bengals should draft Cardale Jones?  How he was the second coming of Roethlesberger, but even better?  He had a great run, but couldn't even keep a starting job in college.  You are completely correct.  Dumping Dalton, who was a legitimate MVP candidate this year, would be crazy based on just a few games.

Wouldn't be crazier than dumping AJM if we make the superbowl. Guys actually think McCarron should be traded it he suceeds. Makes no sense at all.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 09:56 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Hum, that's exactly what Drew Bledsoe thought, but Belichick was thinking about more SBs and made a different choice.

From 1998 until Bledsoe got injured in 2001 he was only 13-21 as a starter and had not had a passer rating over 75.

If McCarron does go crazy for the rest of this season I could see giving him a shot to start, but he would have to be playing at an incredible level to unseat a guy who was leading the entire league in passing efficiency for a 10-2 team.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 09:56 PM)BengalChris Wrote: Not saying that AJM will perform that well, but you gotta go with the guy who wins in the post season since that's what it's all about.

How is McCarron going to win a game by himself in the playoffs?

If he goes crazy and puts up insane numbers then I will consider it.  But if he just has an average game and the Bengals win with a good all-around effort I would not give the credit to McCarron.
Reply/Quote
(12-14-2015, 03:41 PM)BigSeph Wrote: Oh OK, so the guy who came in and was admittedly sailing throws high/deep rather frequently the entire game just happened to make a bad read on a throw that ended up being too high/deep.

Because that's what you want to think.

Here's Trent Green, a former QB, and his exact comments after the incompletion to AJ vs Cover2:

"Well, he floated it a little bit much.  This one got away from him as AJ Green was working that left sideline and he found a gap between the corner and safety as the Steelers were in a Cover2.  AJ McCarron not recognizing it right away and just floated it a little too much."

Emphasis mine.  That means he made the proper read, but not quickly enough, and the throw was a bad throw.

Exactly what I said.

Now I've had just about enough of you for the day, it's not my job to teach you about football.  And I sure as heck don't feel like arguing about football with someone who doesn't understand the difference between a bad read and a bad throw.

You clearly do not understand how a discussion with royal works.

He states his opinion and then uses it as fact.

Apparently in this case he somehow knows that McCarron has perfect accuracy on all of his throws even though many of them appeared to be too high.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 03:28 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You clearly do not understand how a discussion with royal works.

He states his opinion and then uses it as fact.

Apparently in this case he somehow knows that McCarron has perfect accuracy on all of his throws even though many of them appeared to be too high.

oh look  fred running his mouth. 
Cant wait until he says he never does this in a few days. 
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 12:40 PM)OrlandoBengal Wrote: Remember all the posts on the old board talking about how the Bengals should draft Cardale Jones?  How he was the second coming of Roethlesberger, but even better?  He had a great run, but couldn't even keep a starting job in college.  You are completely correct.  Dumping Dalton, who was a legitimate MVP candidate this year, would be crazy based on just a few games.

If a few games mean we win 2 playoffs games and a Super Bowl when we have won neither jack nor squat in a quarter of a century I think you have to look at it differently.  Again, AJ isn't going to win the Super Bowl, but you're really telling me if the Bengals immediately trade a 25 year old QB who won his first 3 post-season games and brought the Lombardi to this city you'd be all like "Yeahh, that's a good move!"

I wonder what we'd get for him.  25 years old, 3-0 in the playoffs, Super Bowl ring.  
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 06:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: If a few games mean we win 2 playoffs games and a Super Bowl when we have won neither jack nor squat in a quarter of a century I think you have to look at it differently.  Again, AJ isn't going to win the Super Bowl, but you're really telling me if the Bengals immediately trade a 25 year old QB who won his first 3 post-season games and brought the Lombardi to this city you'd be all like "Yeahh, that's a good move!"

I wonder what we'd get for him.  25 years old, 3-0 in the playoffs, Super Bowl ring.  

A lifetime of regret.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 03:03 AM)Utts Wrote: He's going to need to do a lot more than manage the game if he gets a chance to face the Patriots and/or Panthers.

As long as he gets the chance.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 01:50 PM)Fresno B Wrote: Wouldn't be crazier than dumping AJM if we make the superbowl. Guys actually think McCarron should be traded it he suceeds. Makes no sense at all.

Why would we have to trade either QB? McCarron would remain very affordable.

Quote:Nately120If a few games mean we win 2 playoffs games and a Super Bowl when we have won neither jack nor squat in a quarter of a century I think you have to look at it differently.  Again, AJ isn't going to win the Super Bowl, but you're really telling me if the Bengals immediately trade a 25 year old QB who won his first 3 post-season games and brought the Lombardi to this city you'd be all like "Yeahh, that's a good move!"

Kaepernick is 1-2 plays away from that type of resume. Where's he at now? Trent Dilfer won a ring and was promptly ran out of Baltimore. Again though, no reason why we couldn't keep both. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-15-2015, 03:23 PM)fredtoast Wrote: How is McCarron going to win a game by himself in the playoffs?

If he goes crazy and puts up insane numbers then I will consider it.  But if he just has an average game and the Bengals win with a good all-around effort I would not give the credit to McCarron.

People credit Dalton with wins all the time, then complain when he gets tagged with the playoff losses.

So, fair is fair on turn about.

This is purely a what if scenario and hasn't happened. But SBs rule and first round exits become the punch line of many jokes.

I actually feel for Dalton. The Bengals may win a playoff game and he might be holding a clipboard when it happens. Ouch.

(12-15-2015, 09:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote:  
Why would we have to trade either QB? McCarron would remain very affordable.

Kaepernick is 1-2 plays away from that type of resume. Where's he at now? Trent Dilfer won a ring and was promptly ran out of Baltimore. Again though, no reason why we couldn't keep both.

Personally, I've never thought much of Kaepnernick. Always thought he was a product of the coach's system and not someone I considered talented at the position. McCarron is completely different. Actually has some QB talent.

Reply/Quote