Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If we don't make the postseason...
Nope.

Mike Brown will defend keeping Marvin by reminding people that we went to the playoffs for five years straight prior to this season. "Well shucks, you guys. We just had an unfortunate year. No need to blow up a proven system."
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 09:24 AM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Thats not true at all. 

Vance Joseph would be the next head coach. 

I could live with that.  
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 10:06 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: I'm shocked nobody has directly called out Marvin after all these years. Sure, Carson, Chad and TJ passive-aggressively did it by asking for trades or simply not re-signing, but never has a player called Marvin out for the dumbass crap he does on game day. By now I figured at least one player would have got in his face on the sidelines. Anytime now.

Carson and Marvin were on the same side as long as they were both Bengals.  The straw that broke the camel's back there was Marvin and Carson had a combined effort to demand certain changes from Mike Brown or else they'd both walk and when Mike said NO (because he can) Marvin caved in and Carson didn't.

Basically, by the time Carson wanted to get in Marvin's face it was 2011 and the games were over.  The option he had then was to show up in 2011 and play with the same medical staff, with the same OC (actually, Brat was fired in an effort to appease him), and owner in addition to playing for a HC who promised to charge the hill with him and then stayed behind when it mattered.

I'm just saying that I wouldn't get my hopes up that players or coaches getting upset with Mike Brown is going to magically change anything after 20+ years of it not working.  As long as the owner is seen as "The Bengals" the franchise will win every argument and anyone who steps out of line of the great plan can be painted as a traitor who is a cancer and toxic to the organization.  It seems hard to swallow that Dalton and Green could be become anything but the greatest Bengals ever, but who knows...we've seen others get demonized around here.

Dalton, who knows...but I can certainly see Green "Quitting on the Bengals and running off to a winner rather than working his ass off to make the Bengals a winner" eventually.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
The Bengals" the franchise will win every argument and anyone who steps out of line of the great plan can be painted as a traitor who is a cancer and toxic to the organization.

This is what you and the other hyper posters do to anyone you disagree with on these boards.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 10:28 AM)Fresno B Wrote: The Bengals" the franchise will win every argument and anyone who steps out of line of the great plan can be painted as a traitor who is a cancer and toxic to the organization.

This is what you and the other hyper posters do to anyone you disagree with on these boards.

That's some treasonous talk, I'm hearing!
Reply/Quote
No. It won't even be a topic of discussion in the FO.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 10:22 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Carson and Marvin were on the same side as long as they were both Bengals.  The straw that broke the camel's back there was Marvin and Carson had a combined effort to demand certain changes from Mike Brown or else they'd both walk and when Mike said NO (because he can) Marvin caved in and Carson didn't.

Basically, by the time Carson wanted to get in Marvin's face it was 2011 and the games were over.  The option he had then was to show up in 2011 and play with the same medical staff, with the same OC (actually, Brat was fired in an effort to appease him), and owner in addition to playing for a HC who promised to charge the hill with him and then stayed behind when it mattered.

I'm just saying that I wouldn't get my hopes up that players or coaches getting upset with Mike Brown is going to magically change anything after 20+ years of it not working.  As long as the owner is seen as "The Bengals" the franchise will win every argument and anyone who steps out of line of the great plan can be painted as a traitor who is a cancer and toxic to the organization.  It seems hard to swallow that Dalton and Green could be become anything but the greatest Bengals ever, but who knows...we've seen others get demonized around here.

Dalton, who knows...but I can certainly see Green "Quitting on the Bengals and running off to a winner rather than working his ass off to make the Bengals a winner" eventually.

Wow... I had no idea about that. But not at all surprising. How do you know? And what changes did they both want? I always figured Carson wanted Marvin gone after his second 4 win season in 3 years.
Reply/Quote
The fact of the matter is that Mike doesn't care about winning. All he cares about is profit.
As long as Bengals fans continue to fill his stands sufficiently, nothing will change. And even if people showed that they had enough, Brown would probably just pack up and move.
You have to wonder if a moment will ever come where Mike sits down and reflects on his time with this organization. He will go down as one of the most despised franchise owners ever. Doesn't that matter to him? How big is your ego when you continue to insist something produces results when everything suggests otherwise?
Marvin took advantage of a vacuum left behind by the lockout and amassed a ******** amount of talent. Yet, he has absolutely NOTHING to show for it aside from two division crowns.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 12:05 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: Marvin took advantage of a vacuum left behind by the lockout and amassed a ******** amount of talent. 

I have no idea what this even means.
Reply/Quote
As much as everyone claims Marvin is "here for life" the fact is that he does not get any long term contract extensions.

If the bengals miss the playoffs this year he may be gone.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 11:55 AM)Pat5775 Wrote: Wow... I had no idea about that. But not at all surprising. How do you know? And what changes did they both want? I always figured Carson wanted Marvin gone after his second 4 win season in 3 years.

I recall it being a topic of discussion after the 2010 season. Marvin was the first one to say he wanted out because I think he was testing the coaching waters in the NFL and/or college level.  Carson wasn't public about the whole thing, which is why his actions of demanding a trade seemed to just come out of nowhere.  I'm a bit surprised people don't remember Marvin being the one who went public about wanting to walk away from the Bengals after 2010, but I guess Carson wanted out and that shifted the focus to him.  Toss in 5 winning seasons in a row and you have the new narrative sealed up.

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/93115/marvin-lewis-may-be-next-pitt-head-coach

Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis may not wait to hear if owner Mike Brown wants to bring him back. Instead, a source close to Lewis said the 2009 NFL Coach of the Year may pursue the open job at the University of Pittsburgh after spending the past eight years with the Bengals. NFL Network reported earlier in the day that the university, which fired head coach Michael Haywood on Saturday, was interested in Lewis.

“Marvin is from that area and I think he’s very interested,” the source said of the Pennsylvania native. A team source indicated that members of the coaching staff believe Lewis will not return, even if asked to come back.

The Pitt job became available again a little more than two weeks following the resignation of Dave Wannstedt. Haywood was fired one day after being arrested on a felony domestic abuse charge in Indiana.

As for Lewis, he has become increasingly disenchanted with the way the Bengals have been run by Brown. Among his frustrations are that the Bengals have a smaller scouting staff and require the coaching staff to do much of the scouting of college players in the offseason.

Lewis won coach of the year honors after leading the Bengals to a 10-6 mark last season, the second winning season during his tenure. However, the Bengals, who had only two winning seasons in the 16 years before Lewis took over and have made the playoffs in back-to-back years only once in the team’s 43-year history, regressed to 4-12 this year.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/01/bengals-marvin-lewis-cant-say-where-hell-coach-next-year/1#.V_uygvkrLIU

I can't get the link to work right now, but here is this on the NFL forum from the time:

http://www3.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=10854812
Reply/Quote
Here is the one I remember:

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2011/1/2/1908973/schefter-marvin-lewis-demanding-upgraded-training-facilities-and

http://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=5981214

Lewis would like the Bengals to upgrade their training facilities and their player personnel department, and he is so adamant on these issues that it is the reason he declined to sign the contract extension offered him before this season.

If Cincinnati is unwilling to budge on these issues -- and there is no indication they Bengals are -- then Lewis will not return to Cincinnati next season and he will become the latest desirable coach on the open market.

Schefter writes that there's no indication that the Bengals are willing to make any changes and that if they don't, Lewis will not return.

The Bengals and Marvin Lewis will meet next week and the Bengals and Lewis' future should be known as early as Tuesday.

1/2/2011 - Marvin says the above
1/5/2011 - Marvin signs extension
1/23/2011 - Palmer trade demand becomes public
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 12:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: As much as everyone claims Marvin is "here for life" the fact is that he does not get any long term contract extensions.

I don't think so because I think Mike wants a certain amount of comfort with his employees, and this one went to the playoffs five straight years.  He's going to give him more slack than missing the playoffs for one year after 5 straight.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 12:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: As much as everyone claims Marvin is "here for life" the fact is that he does not get any long term contract extensions.

We need to lose out then.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 12:38 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't think so because I think Mike wants a certain amount of comfort with his employees, and this one went to the playoffs five straight years.  He's going to give him more slack than missing the playoffs for one year after 5 straight.

If this was true then Marvin would be getting longer contract extensions.
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 12:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If this was true then Marvin would be getting longer contract extensions.

Maybe.  Just how it seems to me.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 12:43 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If this was true then Marvin would be getting longer contract extensions.

True, but there almost seems to be something more secure about getting multiple short contracts rather than a single long one.  The NFL is no stranger to one-time way too long and pricey single contracts, but something about giving a guy as many contracts and extensions over and over indicates a continued commitment, however small the contract may be.

The Bears gave Jay Cutler a way to big and way too long single contract.  Would you really think they were any less committed to him if they had agreed to 9 one-year contracts?  Hell, Marvin getting a bunch of small contracts shows Mike continuously betting on the guy, not just making one single unwise decision and going overboard ONCE.
Reply/Quote
They signed Marvin to a one year extension, right? Since Mikey Boy doesn't pay people to not work, Marvin will be here next season unless he retires/resigns
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 01:09 PM)nevergonnachange Wrote: They signed Marvin to a one year extension, right?  Since Mikey Boy doesn't pay people to not work, Marvin will be here next season unless he retires/resigns

Like I said, it's easier to say "What was I thinking that ONE time I gave that bum player/coach that huge long contract" versus "What was I thinking those 5+ times I decided to give that bum an extension?"
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 12:30 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I recall it being a topic of discussion after the 2010 season. Marvin was the first one to say he wanted out because I think he was testing the coaching waters in the NFL and/or college level.  Carson wasn't public about the whole thing, which is why his actions of demanding a trade seemed to just come out of nowhere.  I'm a bit surprised people don't remember Marvin being the one who went public about wanting to walk away from the Bengals after 2010, but I guess Carson wanted out and that shifted the focus to him.  Toss in 5 winning seasons in a row and you have the new narrative sealed up.

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/93115/marvin-lewis-may-be-next-pitt-head-coach

Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis may not wait to hear if owner Mike Brown wants to bring him back. Instead, a source close to Lewis said the 2009 NFL Coach of the Year may pursue the open job at the University of Pittsburgh after spending the past eight years with the Bengals. NFL Network reported earlier in the day that the university, which fired head coach Michael Haywood on Saturday, was interested in Lewis.

“Marvin is from that area and I think he’s very interested,” the source said of the Pennsylvania native. A team source indicated that members of the coaching staff believe Lewis will not return, even if asked to come back.

The Pitt job became available again a little more than two weeks following the resignation of Dave Wannstedt. Haywood was fired one day after being arrested on a felony domestic abuse charge in Indiana.

As for Lewis, he has become increasingly disenchanted with the way the Bengals have been run by Brown. Among his frustrations are that the Bengals have a smaller scouting staff and require the coaching staff to do much of the scouting of college players in the offseason.

Lewis won coach of the year honors after leading the Bengals to a 10-6 mark last season, the second winning season during his tenure. However, the Bengals, who had only two winning seasons in the 16 years before Lewis took over and have made the playoffs in back-to-back years only once in the team’s 43-year history, regressed to 4-12 this year.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/thehuddle/post/2011/01/bengals-marvin-lewis-cant-say-where-hell-coach-next-year/1#.V_uygvkrLIU

I can't get the link to work right now, but here is this on the NFL forum from the time:

http://www3.footballsfuture.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=10854812

I remember the talk of Marvin going to Pitt but I just figured it was a bluff. Then I figured Pitt changed their minds and didn't want him given the look of defeat at "The Press Conference"
Reply/Quote