Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If we don't make the postseason...
Money talks. I doubt you see any radical change as long as the stadium remains full. Although, if we do miss the playoffs and Marvin remains the head coach, maybe people vote with their feet, so to speak, next year and you see a change the following year. Even then I doubt it. Pretty sure Marvin is here as long as he wants to be.
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 10:33 AM)NKYRob Wrote: Money talks.  I doubt you see any radical change as long as the stadium remains full. Although, if we do miss the playoffs and Marvin remains the head coach, maybe people vote with their feet, so to speak, next year and you see a change the following year.  Even then I doubt it.  Pretty sure Marvin is here as long as he wants to be.

How's attendance been for the home games this year? I never pay too close attention to that, especially since I live 8 hours away.
[Image: WiscoFan.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 10:33 AM)NKYRob Wrote: Money talks.  I doubt you see any radical change as long as the stadium remains full. Although, if we do miss the playoffs and Marvin remains the head coach, maybe people vote with their feet, so to speak, next year and you see a change the following year.  Even then I doubt it.  Pretty sure Marvin is here as long as he wants to be.

We weren't filling up the stadium consistently until like 2014. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 01:19 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: We weren't filling up the stadium consistently until like 2014. 

Below are the average home game attendance numbers by year for the Bengals since 2006 (the earliest I could find such numbers):

2006: 65,983
2007: 65,790
2008: 64,582
2009: 64,004
2010: 60,364
2011: 49,251
2012: 61,188
2013: 63,297
2014: 60,703
2015: 61,389
2016: 62,342

Looks like we were filling it up the most between 2006 and 2009 with an outrageous dip in 2011 (coming off a 4-12 season, Marvin gets an extension, Palmer demands a trade, you guys know the rest).  They've climbed back since then but still are not packing the place to capacity.  I'm sure the change to the blackout rules have at least some effect on that.  Nonetheless, 2011 at least shows that fans can (and will) stop spending money on a team when they become disinterested.  
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 09:26 AM)Brownshoe Wrote: I would love to see us take Vance Joseph away from Miami and make him our HC next year.

Anyone better than Marvy or Pauli. However, I have always hoped Vance Joseph would become Bengals HC. However, I vaguely recall reading somewhere describing his coaching shortcomings. Someone may have better recall than I do after 3/4 of a century. Anyway, V.J. would NOT be allowed to hire his own asst. coaches so he would not be successful either. That's the Mikey way. Sad
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 12:11 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Our secondary coach for the last few years. He's now the DC in Miami. The Bengals passed him over for our DC job two years ago when they promoted Gunther.

We didn't really pass him over. The Texans chose to not bring him back and we hired him as our Asst. DB coach after Guenther was promoted.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 04:40 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: We didn't really pass him over. The Texans chose to not bring him back and we hired him as our Asst. DB coach after Guenther was promoted.

For some reason I thought he was here before that.

Reply/Quote
Think if Bengals keep it up Marvin will just walk away.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 05:25 PM)BengalChris Wrote: For some reason I thought he was here before that.

Are you thinking of Mark Carrier?
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
[Image: raw]

.......sorry, someone had to.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
Outside of Vance Joseph, who would be a good choice that is A) available and B) would actually accept the position if offered?
Reply/Quote
(10-11-2016, 05:38 PM)Go Cards Wrote: Think if Bengals keep it up Marvin will just walk away.

[Image: tumblr_lza3dfcWpI1qmt9hno1_500.jpg]
Reply/Quote
103. Lewis leaves when Lewis retires.
Reply/Quote
Only sayin, if I was an owner and this team wasn't progressing like it should. I'd be trying to find out why I'm paying good money for mediocrity! However, if I'm the owner that's not taking care of business maybe I should be looking at me as part of the problem! Dead Horse
Reply/Quote
It's true Marvin did bring this team oult of the doldrums, but he's 0-6 in the playoffs! Thats not a romantic record, especially since he has had some pretty good players coming on board every year!
Reply/Quote
(10-12-2016, 04:59 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: Outside of Vance Joseph, who would be a good choice that is A) available and B) would actually accept the position if offered?

Assuming I couldn't lure away any current head coaches like Belichick, Arians, or Zimmer, then I would take a long look at the Patriots coordinators - first Josh McDaniels and then Matt Patricia. I think it's only a matter of time for each to eventually become successful head coaches after serving well under Belichick. Might as well have one of them be here. 

It will never happen though with Mike Brown still active in any decision-making capacity. Not making the change to Zimmer, then last year to Hue just cemented the doom on our favorite team. While only 6 games into this season with an array of new assistant coaches, I've seen enough lack of cohesion, discipline, and execution to believe that we've seen the best of what Mike Brown's Bengals will ever deliver. We'll win a few, lose a few, and change the oil in the Lumina.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 01:44 AM)WiscoFan Wrote: Will that finally get Marvin Lewis fired?

I don't believe so, and here's why:

1.) He has one more year on his contract, and the Bengals rarely pay a coach to sit on a couch.

2.) The options to replace him are now in Minnesota, Cleveland, and Miami.  
Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 12:11 PM)fredtoast Wrote: As much as everyone claims Marvin is "here for life" the fact is that he does not get any long term contract extensions.

If the bengals miss the playoffs this year he may be gone.

Zero chance he'll be gone (if they miss playoffs) unless it's his decision.  Marvin is family at this point and MB does not upset the family balance.  Same with the piano man.  MB is so stupid that if Marvin did retire he'd probably promote Alexander to head coach. Laughable but a distinct possibility.
Reply/Quote
I don't think we'll see any wholesale changes. A lot really depends on how the rest of the season plays out. If they continue with the downward spiral and finish up with a losing record we might just have it, but if we finish strong and even win a playoff game  absolutely nothing changes.

This team is playing far worse than the level of talent would indicate, but it's a business of entertainment, not a democracy where we get a vote and as some, including myself have indicated it's a business where the league can quite literally and legally write the script for suspense or keep it status quo and lie to fans to give the appearance of fair play even if it's all scripted in a NY script writing factory.. Yeah, I know..that sounds like something Trumpster fire would cook up about losing.. Anymore I don't put anything past the league and its ability to conjure up story lines..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-10-2016, 02:03 PM)THE Bigzoman Wrote: I doubt it.

Marvin Lewis would Be a hot commodity in the open market if he ever decided to leave.

Honestly, I think Marvin Lewis is a good HC. He's well respected in the community, and there was a survey showing that people were surprised that he hasn't won a SB.

What scares me about a Post Marvin lewis era is that it's possible that he's the only one that can work with Mike brown. Even though Mike Brown ***** every coach on his staff, other coaches, better or worse, might find themselves in positions where they do worse.

If ML is fired or resigns before Brown croaks, do you see Brown granting a new HC the same power it took Lewis over a decade to get? No way.

A hot commidity?  I spat hot coffee all over my desk when I read this...

Marv is an old fart with the passion of a wet firecracker.  He has no balls, and would be in line behind a few other old farts named Lovie Smith, Tom Coughlin, and soon to be fired John Fox as the old coaches that no one from this century wants as the face of their franchise.  This is Marv's last stop...He has made more than enough to retire and live very well, but he could certainly do NFL network stuff or "assistant to the GM" stuff here or there, but I think he will just walk away.  
Reply/Quote