Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If we lose both Sanu and Jones
I am usually not in favor of old free agents, but Boldin is kind of an exception.  He is a hard ass who's game was not based on speed to begin with.  He should be worth another year at least.  Then we take a WR in the first three rounds.

We have had some luck getting a decent season from some old guys like Roy Williams, Nate Clements, and Terrance Newman.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2016, 01:44 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: he has to get reinstated i would love Gordons talent.   but dude is 1 fart away from perma banned.

whatever happened to that justin blackmon kid in jax

Gordon is in much better shape than Blackmon. Gordon is actually keeping his nose clean and wants back into the NFL. From everything I've read, Blackmon is still an alcoholic and isn't really working towards getting back.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000465285/article/josh-gordon-fires-back-at-critics-explains-failed-test

The circumstances around Gordon's 1 year suspension are kind of silly. Due to his past marijuana use (he claims he hasn't smoked since 2012), he was banned from all substances including alcohol for the entire 2014 season. After the season ended, he had 4 drinks on a private flight with a few teammates on the way to Las Vegas. Gordon thought he was in the clear to drink alcohol since the Browns season was over, but the alcohol ban was somehow still in effect. He was promptly tested and failed, with the NFL suspending him for an entire year.

If the Browns make him available, I think he's worth a look depending on the price.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2016, 02:05 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Gordon is in much better shape than Blackmon. Gordon is actually keeping his nose clean and wants back into the NFL. From everything I've read, Blackmon is still an alcoholic and isn't really working towards getting back.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000465285/article/josh-gordon-fires-back-at-critics-explains-failed-test

The circumstances around Gordon's 1 year suspension are kind of silly. Due to his past marijuana use (he claims he hasn't smoked since 2012), he was banned from all substances including alcohol for the entire 2014 season. After the season ended, he had 4 drinks on a private flight with a few teammates on the way to Las Vegas. Gordon thought he was in the clear to drink alcohol since the Browns season was over, but the alcohol ban was somehow still in effect. He was promptly tested and failed, with the NFL suspending him for an entire year.

If the Browns make him available, I think he's worth a look depending on the price.

I don't see the Brown trading him within the division. They know the talent the guy has and imagine if he got to face them twice a year for a while.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
I'm with the writer of the article that I just read praising Kumerow. He's 6'4/6'5, runs a 4.5, and is cousins with the brothers Bosa. I would say that there is some pretty strong football genes in that families gene pool.
He could very well be on the "big boy" roster this season.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2016, 05:10 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: I don't see the Brown trading him within the division. They know the talent the guy has and imagine if he got to face them twice a year for a while.

Agreed. This probably falls under the category of "fun to talk about, but probably won't happen".
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2016, 02:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am usually not in favor of old free agents, but Boldin is kind of an exception.  He is a hard ass who's game was not based on speed to begin with.  He should be worth another year at least.  Then we take a WR in the first three rounds.

We have had some luck getting a decent season from some old guys like Roy Williams, Nate Clements, and Terrance Williams.

If you mean Newman, we got two or three good seasons out of him.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Also TO ^

I'm liking the idea of Boldin more and more every day. Bringing him back to the North to face his old team may also provide a spark. Not to mention he may be able to teach AJ to be a little more physical.

Reply/Quote
(02-25-2016, 02:21 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Also TO ^

I'm liking the idea of Boldin more and more every day. Bringing him back to the North to face his old team may also provide a spark. Not to mention he may be able to teach AJ to be a little more physical.

Boldin is still a pretty good receiver. With subpar QB play and little to no receivers around him, he still continues to produce. Not sure for how much longer, but I'd take a shot with him.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
I wonder if we will "kick the tires" on Bowe...
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 05:04 PM)Thundercloud Wrote: If both are gone, it's obviously WR No.1 without a doubt.  Then, another one in FA.  But my strategy would be to go all out to keep Marvin Jones. Sanu's good, but we can live without him.  By the way, I think Sanu is in a pretty good spot, but he thinks he's underutilized.  He may be in for a rude awakening if he leaves.
I remember all the years we would complain about not having a number 2 receiver, now it's nothing to let a number 2 receiver just leave if both leave, the Bengals are a .500 team next year, sad part about it, it would be totally acceptable and easily predictable if this happens. Keep82
Shop my store for Awesome Bengal-Style and Various Graphic T-Shirts!
http://www.cincyfanatics.com
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2016, 04:11 AM)Nately120 Wrote: I wonder if we will "kick the tires" on Bowe...

Ug, maybe I have the wrong impression about Bowe, but he went an entire year without a TD with Alex Smith as his QB. I guess he might be better than Little was but a far cry from someone I'd want to count on in the playoffs.

Between Boldin and Bowe, I'd be leaning toward Boldin in a big way. Boldin has real playoff production and isn't a damn sissy.

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2016, 08:56 AM)BengalChris Wrote: Ug, maybe I have the wrong impression about Bowe, but he went an entire year without a TD with Alex Smith as his QB. I guess he might be better than Little was but a far cry from someone I'd want to count on in the playoffs.

Between Boldin and Bowe, I'd be leaning toward Boldin in a big way. Boldin has real playoff production and isn't a damn sissy.

We kicked the tires on Denarius Moore last year and he wasn't coming off anything great, plus, if we didn't have Jones and Sanu (as we might not have this time around) in 2015, I assure you Moore would have been one of our starting WRs in some capacity.  If we are down 2 WRs, I fully expect us to plug some nobody in there (ala Binns), or toss some draft pick in there (ala Simpson) and cross our fingers. I can already see people justifying Bowe by saying that refusing to even try to play for the Browns is a logical career move.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2016, 02:21 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: Also TO ^

Agreed, he's probably one of the most physical (yet clean) wide receivers to play the game. Of all the other thoughts, I don't think Patterson will ever amount to much, but I'd rather see him returning kicks than Tate. Harvin is a perennial disappointment, and probably always will be, plus he seems to think he's worth a fortune. Josh Gordon is intriguing, but he's the WR equivalent of Odell Thurman, some people never learn, and I think he's one of them; that and the Browns aren't going to trade somebody who is a legit #1 when he actually plays to the Bengals, besides Travis Benjamin is unrestricted for Browns, and Rishard Matthews on the Dolphins, either of which you could probably count on playing a full season barring injury. Definite NO on Bowe, but a big YES if Bills decide to shop Woods.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 01:15 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What do we do.  We have no depth behind them.  The free agent market is very thin.  We will obviuosly draft a WR or two if this happens, but do we want to rely on rookies at both #2 and #3 WR?

Would you give the Vikings a 2nd round pick for Cordarrelle Patterson?  A third?

No to giving anything to Patterson.  He struggles with the playbook.  Mistakes on routes lead to turnovers.  No thank you.  

This is precisely why I was clamoring for a WR last year (earlier than round 7).  Now said WRs have you by the short hairs.  We know one of them will almost surely need to be signed.  If Marvin Jones can't come to terms, I would imagine Sanu gets a little more than he is worth because he knows the offense.  He could move outside and Burkhead could play the slot. 

Let's not forget that they have two very nice TEs, AJ Green, and a couple nice RBs.  

Will they draft a WR?  Most definitely.  What round?  I'm guessing 1 or 2.  

They also have James Wright coming back, but I think he is more of a Sanu clone than a replacement for the speedy Marvin Jones.  
Reply/Quote
If you lose them both you draft Josh Docston.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 03:11 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Trade for Josh Gordon.

What's the news on Gordon's possibility of reinstatement?  If there's any chance of that happening, it seems that Hue would do everything to keep Josh around for at least one season.  When Gordon is playing, he's a Top 5 receiver.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2016, 06:32 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: If you lose them both you draft Josh Docston.

And snag one of Devon Cajuste, Geronimo Allison, or Charone Peak in the mid rounds
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 12:39 PM)t3r3e3 Wrote: What's the news on Gordon's possibility of reinstatement?  If there's any chance of that happening, it seems that Hue would do everything to keep Josh around for at least one season.  When Gordon is playing, he's a Top 5 receiver.

The latest news is that Gordon applied for reinstatement and he's practically been a boy scout during his suspension. He'll almost certainly be reinstated, but I think the NFL will leave him hanging for a good portion of the offseason before finally reinstating him. Probably to make sure he stays on the straight and narrow.

As for whether or not the Browns keep him, I think it depends on whether or not the Browns sign both Mo Sanu and Travis Benjamin. Sanu has made it clear he wants a bigger role. He wouldn't get that with Gordon, Benjamin and Barnidge all in the fold. Sanu would pretty much be in the exact same situation he just left.

The Browns are trying to sign Benjamin and they've expressed interest in Sanu, so...that's why I think Gordon may come available at some point - if the Browns manage to sign both. That said, I doubt the Browns would trade him in the division. Unless of course we offered up McCarron. That said, I'd want more than just Gordon in exchange for McCarron considering the risks involved with Gordon.

I'd definitely trade McCarron and a 5th for Gordon and a 3rd, for example.
Reply/Quote
(02-22-2016, 02:03 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I am usually not in favor of old free agents, but Boldin is kind of an exception.  He is a hard ass who's game was not based on speed to begin with.  He should be worth another year at least.  Then we take a WR in the first three rounds.

We have had some luck getting a decent season from some old guys like Roy Williams, Nate Clements, and Terrance Newman.

Agree completely with this line of thinking.

I think Boldin still has a couple of productive seasons in him, and while I like guys like Kearse, Matthews, etc, Boldin would add a very tough, battle tested, veteran presence to the WR corps that we haven't had during the Andy/AJ era. 

Adding Boldin and drafting a talented wideout (or two) would be a pretty damn good approach IMO.
Reply/Quote
(02-28-2016, 03:12 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The latest news is that Gordon applied for reinstatement and he's practically been a boy scout during his suspension. He'll almost certainly be reinstated, but I think the NFL will leave him hanging for a good portion of the offseason before finally reinstating him. Probably to make sure he stays on the straight and narrow.

As for whether or not the Browns keep him, I think it depends on whether or not the Browns sign both Mo Sanu and Travis Benjamin. Sanu has made it clear he wants a bigger role. He wouldn't get that with Gordon, Benjamin and Barnidge all in the fold. Sanu would pretty much be in the exact same situation he just left.

The Browns are trying to sign Benjamin and they've expressed interest in Sanu, so...that's why I think Gordon may come available at some point - if the Browns manage to sign both. That said, I doubt the Browns would trade him in the division. Unless of course we offered up McCarron. That said, I'd want more than just Gordon in exchange for McCarron considering the risks involved with Gordon.

I'd definitely trade McCarron and a 5th for Gordon and a 3rd, for example.

Sad to see him get yet another shot at playing in the NFL when a certain LB here was booted and never allowed to return even while he was keeping his nose clean playing in other terrible football leagues. 

The consistency in the NFL about punishment is pathetic.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote