Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you could, who would you bring in as head coach?
First of all, I am a Marvin Lewis supporter.  But for conversation purposes I will throw two more hats in the ring.  These are dream picks (will never happen)

Pete Carrol

I don't like him, never have.  But he coaches his butt off and gets the most out of "todays players".  I am guessing my hate would subside like my James Harrison hate did.  It's amazing the difference a different color jersey makes.

Urban Meyer

I know I will catch heat for this but Urban can flat out coach.  Would it translate to the Nfl?  Who knows but I wouldn't bet against the guy.  He's a winner and his passion and enthusiasm is unique.[/align]
(06-08-2015, 03:21 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I was reading the "Marvins Rank" thread and it got me to thinking...

If we were to replace Lewis, who would you want?  Another current HC?  A college HC?  A coordinator (from any team) that might be due a shot at HC?  How about bringing someone out of retirement?

I didn't make it a poll because I didn't want responses limited, more of free flowing discussion.  Plus He's not going anywhere this season.  This is more of a "if we don't do shit this year, I'd like to see..."

So what say you?
Reply/Quote
From the pro ranks, I'd pick Belichick all day long. Looking at the college teams, Stanford's David Shaw intrigues me. Coached by Bill Walsh as a player, worked with Jim Harbaugh, and the son of NFL coach Willie Shaw, I think he has learned from some of the best in building a solid foundation from which to advance. Only 42, he could be someone we can expect to see a lot of success in future years.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 03:40 PM)hugh jasse Wrote: First of all, I am a Marvin Lewis supporter.  But for conversation purposes I will throw two more hats in the ring.  These are dream picks (will never happen)

Pete Carrol

I don't like him, never have.  But he coaches his butt off and gets the most out of "todays players".  I am guessing my hate would subside like my James Harrison hate did.  It's amazing the difference a different color jersey makes.

Urban Meyer

I know I will catch heat for this but Urban can flat out coach.  Would it translate to the Nfl?  Who knows but I wouldn't bet against the guy.  He's a winner and his passion and enthusiasm is unique.[/align]

Yeah I thought about both of these coaches.  And like you, I wasn't the biggest fan of Pete Carrol, but you got to admit he gets results.  And like you I like Urban Meyer, but no idea if it would translate to success in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
First of all, I am a Marvin Lewis supporter.  But for conversation purposes I will throw two more hats in the ring.  These are dream picks (will never happen)

Pete Carrol

Urban Meyer

(06-08-2015, 03:21 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I was reading the "Marvins Rank" thread and it got me to thinking...

If we were to replace Lewis, who would you want?  Another current HC?  A college HC?  A coordinator (from any team) that might be due a shot at HC?  How about bringing someone out of retirement?

I didn't make it a poll because I didn't want responses limited, more of free flowing discussion.  Plus He's not going anywhere this season.  This is more of a "if we don't do shit this year, I'd like to see..."

So what say you?
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 10:02 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Yep.  There's a big difference between Jon and Jay Gruden.

Jay is a good coach too.  He catches too much flack round these parts
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 10:30 PM)bonesaw Wrote: Jay is a good coach too.  He catches too much flack round these parts

I'm sorry, but Jay has alot to prove to be considered in the conversation with Jon Gruden.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 12:22 PM)Interceptor Wrote: Kicking or not - he wouldn't put up with the shit this team had to endure for the past two decades and a half. He's a proven winner at all levels. 

Marvin had a better record with the Bengals working under Mike Brown than Parcells had working under the biggest spending owner in the league (Jones).

Parcells is one of the most overrated coaches ever.  He never won anything anywhere without Belichick as his D-coordinator.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 03:58 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Not only this, but with the same "Gruden won with Dungy's team" logic, that means Dungy won his SB with Jim Mora's team.

Not even close.

Gruden won a Super Bowl the FIRST year he was in Tampa, and then went 45-51 over the next six year there with zero postseason wins.

Dungy won a Super Bowl FIVE YEARS after replacing Mora and never won fewer than 10 games in his other six season with the Colts, never missed the playoffs, and had 3 more postseason wins in addition to his Super Bowl run.
Reply/Quote
TCU's Gary Patterson is a defensive guru. In his 14 years as head coach at TCU his defense has ranked in the top ten 5 times, and in the top thirty 11 times. (out of about 125 D-IA teams)

And he did that without getting the top recruits in the nation.
Reply/Quote
I assuming this everybody in the world except Bellicheck & Pete Carol  because that would be to easy.
#1.) Sean Payton- I think he could get the most out of Dalton especially with the talent around him on offense. I don't think he would touch the defense that much either. 
#2.) Mike Zimmer- He makes the most sense out of anyone if you like what Marvin has done here and you want to keep it going. The players and the fan base love him so it would be an easy sell. Also he is going to give you all he has to give to you.
#3.) David Shaw- love his demeanor and I love the style his team plays. He also gives out the I am a good coach but I am not crazy like Jim Harabaugh.
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(06-09-2015, 12:47 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: If we want younger up and coming coaches to last for 10+ years, then:
Rob Ryan (DC NO Saints)

PFT reported that an NFL owner stated that Rob Ryan would've been a HC a long time ago if he would just cut his hair.

(06-09-2015, 01:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'll come off as a Dalton-hater BUT I'd like to wave a magic wand in 2010 and see what would happen if we fired Marvin and Brat and kept Palmer and got Arians as the HC.  This defense and AJ and Palmer with BA's system sounds like a hit.

You don't come off as a Dalton hater so much as a Palmer homer.  Tongue 

Seriously though, I'd be thrilled to have Arians, no matter who the QB is.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 08:56 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: PFT reported that an NFL owner stated that Rob Ryan would've been a HC a long time ago if he would just cut his hair.

For real?  That's stupid.....what a buncha sticks in the mud.  I bet these douchebags are a lotta fun...... :snark:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
No great coach would come and work for this bumbling buffoon of an owner! Brown won't let go of anything to allow a GREAT coach the necessities needed to go the distance!
Sorry, it's been a long fricken day today, but IMHO, Brown is whats wrong with this organizations inabilities to turn the corner. Giggles is still the coach and he came from 1 HC position! Brown gave him very little and giggles stayed. You CANNOT have as much talent as the Bengals have gone thru and NO playoff wins. Yea, we get to it, but then the truth shows up!

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 02:49 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin had a better record with the Bengals working under Mike Brown than Parcells had working under the biggest spending owner in the league (Jones).

Parcells is one of the most overrated coaches ever.  He never won anything anywhere without Belichick as his D-coordinator.

Parcells is a winner! PERIOD!!! He OWNS a SB ring!!! It's not his fault that he was the HC and Belichick was the D coord!
You trying to dispel him as a bad coach is totally not true!

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 02:49 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Marvin had a better record with the Bengals working under Mike Brown than Parcells had working under the biggest spending owner in the league (Jones).

Didn't he also start off with a drug abusing Quincy Carter as his starting QB, that they had to release because of a failed drug test?  That couldn't have had anything to getting off to a slow start, would it? Then, he moved on to an ancient Vinny Testaverde....he was 10-6 with Carter in the playoffs, then fell to 6-10, and closed out with a couple of 9-7 records.  Nowhere do I see a 4-12 record......and Jerry Jones hasn't won shit since Jimmy Johnson and the team he assembled left town.  So, there's that........ Mellow

EDIT: Also, Parcells won an AFC Championship with what was one of the worst franchises in football when he arrived.....his DC? Al Groh......so there's that also..... Mellow

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 09:13 PM)Wyche Wrote: For real?  That's stupid.....what a buncha sticks in the mud.  I bet these douchebags are a lotta fun...... :snark:

It's only because his last name is "Ryan" his performances lately have been....undesirable 
Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 03:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: TCU's Gary Patterson is a defensive guru.  In his 14 years as head coach at TCU his defense has ranked in the top ten 5 times, and in the top thirty 11 times. (out of about 125 D-IA teams)

And he did that without getting the top recruits in the nation.

I would put Shaw up there with Patterson. While facing six nationally ranked opponents in 2014, including four on the road, the Cardinal defensive unit helped Stanford rank second nationally in scoring defense (16.4 points/game), third in total defense (282.4 yards/game), seventh in rushing defense (104.5 yards/game) and eighth in passing defense (177.9 yards/game). The Cardinal joined Penn State and Clemson as the only three teams last year to finish in the top-10 nationally in all four categories. The team was also among the best nationally in getting to the quarterback, ranking sixth with 46 sacks. Stanford also led the nation in punt return average.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS2LMwnxebk2zwcBWk4W7X...I8vWk4x3_g]
Reply/Quote
(06-11-2015, 10:07 AM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: It's only because his last name is "Ryan" his performances lately have been....undesirable 

I'll agree with that.....

Reply/Quote
(06-10-2015, 02:57 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Not even close.

Gruden won a Super Bowl the FIRST year he was in Tampa, and then went 45-51 over the next six year there with zero postseason wins.

Dungy won a Super Bowl FIVE YEARS after replacing Mora and never won fewer than 10 games in his other six season with the Colts, never missed the playoffs, and had 3 more postseason wins in addition to his Super Bowl run.

One thing that people tend to forget is that Gruden inherited a salary cap mess and a good defense.

It took him 4 years just to get out from under the mess that Dungy left him. By the time he left (6 years), they were $50 million under the cap and competing for the playoffs with out any real superstars. His firing was really odd, all things considered the owners should've loved that he was able to build a competitive team so far under the salary cap.

When Dungy went to Indy, he had an offense and just needed to develop the Defense. In the process of building the Defense, he put them into Salary cap trouble and it took them a few years to get out from under it as well.

So out of the two, I'd prefer Gruden, he's smarter with the salary cap money and at getting people to overachieve.
Reply/Quote
(06-08-2015, 03:29 AM)Thundercloud Wrote: Mike Zimmer.

(06-08-2015, 03:36 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: Then move Lewis to GM. Big Grin

What these guys said would be my vote.
Reply/Quote