Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you said this game was over…
I don't mind some negativity and overreaction, but some of it is borderline ignorant. It's amazing to see fans ready to throw 5 straight weeks of outstanding football away over one bad half. Over a 17 point deficit? Jesus, that's nothing when the team on the losing end has a potent offense and a track record of turning momentum in the 3rd quarter.

It's the NFL. Even great teams aren't perfect, and the opponents aren't scrubs. Most games in this league are won or lost by a few points. No matter how good a team is, they aren't typically just destroying opponents week in and week out.

To me, a great team is one that finds ways to win when things aren't going their way. That was what this team did today, and that kind of mental toughness is what makes them potentially exceptional.
(12-18-2022, 09:49 PM)Joelist Wrote: What if you did not say the game was over but expressed disappointment at the poor play (especially in the first half)?

I am in that camp. 
(12-18-2022, 10:11 PM)casear2727 Wrote: There are millions of these in the 1st half.... some didnt learn any lessons vs the Chiefs (twice) last season...

Some of those are pretty reasonable, TBH, considering how well the Bengals played in the first half. 
LFG  

[Image: oyb7yuz66nd81.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
After seeing this thread, I decided to visit the game day thread and follow the commentary from after the first quarter. It is a very enjoyable experience after a win. Not just posters counting the game as a loss still in the 1st half, but some wanting Burrow to be sat the 2nd half, wanting players to be rested the second half since the game was lost, deciding to go play some video games rather than watch this game, etc. Hope some of them didn't miss another great comeback. And the biggest margin of victory in games this weekend.
(12-18-2022, 10:15 PM)Tony Wrote: I eat a pickled egg every morning! Love them!

Bro, that's gross. Pickled eggs are one of those things that I don't even like looking at. The smell is nauseating. I promise that I'm not trying to control your diet though. 
LFG  

(12-18-2022, 10:20 PM)Johnny Cupcakes Wrote: Some of those are pretty reasonable, TBH, considering how well the Bengals played in the first half. 

That was just a couple random pages, LOL, they were all back on board in the 3rd Qtr.  But anything posted is open game.  Great comeback win.

Complaining about poor play is fine.

Expecting and demanding better is fine.

Acting like every negative play is a sign of some kind of long-standing trend for which this franchise will forever disappoint its poor baby fanbase is unbelievably stupid -- especially on the heels of a five-game winning streak.
Quitting on a team that came back from an 18 point deficit to win the AFC Championship Game in Arrowhead Stadium is just soft as hell. Don't do that, behave like someone who has even a tiny semblance of control over their emotions, and it's all good.
(12-18-2022, 09:50 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I'm pretty sure the Defense gave Burrow the ball a million times within their 30. That first TD was probably the toughest drive we had all year and we got the ball on their 20. Burrow almost took a 35 yard sack?

That play was a wide range of emotion from me. I'm screaming throw the FN ball away to being like oh there's a flag first down baby.
(12-18-2022, 10:23 PM)casear2727 Wrote: That was just a couple random pages, LOL, they were all back on board in the 3rd Qtr.  But anything posted is open game.  Great comeback win.

Notice it's almost all from the same 3 people...? I'm sure other said some negative things, as were deserved given how we played the first half. But you can go look at any game thread and those same 3 people probably have the same exact posts after every negative play.
(12-18-2022, 10:23 PM)casear2727 Wrote: That was just a couple random pages, LOL, they were all back on board in the 3rd Qtr.  But anything posted is open game.  Great comeback win.

I mainly give people a hard time when they say dumb shit in reaction to losses or bad plays/games. "Fire this coach", "cut that player", "5 wins max" etc....

If you are pissed at the results, but still reasonably able to talk about those results, then you won't see me complaining too much. 
LFG  

(12-18-2022, 10:19 PM)casear2727 Wrote: The timing was pretty incredible.

It shocked me too. My son was like.. " No way" lol.. I didn't call the fumble though..
(12-18-2022, 10:19 PM)samhain Wrote: I don't mind some negativity and overreaction, but some of it is borderline ignorant.  It's amazing to see fans ready to throw 5 straight weeks of outstanding football away over one bad half.  Over a 17 point deficit?  Jesus, that's nothing when the team on the losing end has a potent offense and a track record of turning momentum in the 3rd quarter.  

It's the NFL.  Even great teams aren't perfect, and the opponents aren't scrubs.  Most games in this league are won or lost by a few points.  No matter how good a team is, they aren't typically just destroying opponents week in and week out.  

To me, a great team is one that finds ways to win when things aren't going their way.  That was what this team did today, and that kind of mental toughness is what makes them potentially exceptional.

I get the whole don't overreact thing. But that was an absolute brutal 1st half. I'm mean I'm not sure we even forced an incomplete pass the bucs last 2 drives to end the half. It had a very browns Bengals game feel with the good looking 1st drive until it didn't and then the lack of being able to do anything. I can only speak for myself but a very winnable game that got all that more important with the Ravens loss and we were getting embarrassed in the 1st half. I was at home screaming someone get a soldering iron and cauterize the wound on Joey Bs pinkie.
(12-18-2022, 10:25 PM)JaggedJimmyJay Wrote: Quitting on a team that came back from an 18 point deficit to win the AFC Championship Game in Arrowhead Stadium is just soft as hell. Don't do that, behave like someone who has even a tiny semblance of control over their emotions, and it's all good.

No... I'll do what I always do. 
(12-18-2022, 09:50 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: I'm pretty sure the Defense gave Burrow the ball a million times within their 30. That first TD was probably the toughest drive we had all year and we got the ball on their 20. Burrow almost took a 35 yard sack?

He did take a 35 yd sack.  Luckily, it didn't count.  May have been the play of the game.  
The inability to run the ball was a bit concerning.  No push from the OL against one of them toughest DL they face all year.

Absolutely thrilled with the win, and sole possession of the AFCN lead.

I think this is what coaches might call a win with coachable points.

My bother and myself are both convinced that we both had a hand in the win.  We both changed what we were drinking at halftime. 
We are positive that had an impact on the game.   Wink
Ooooh I’ve been called out

I also quoted myself on one of those saying “this didn’t age well”.

In JN I try to be a reasonable/sane poster but I use the GD thread to vent in real time and always have. I often laugh at it afterwards but oh well.

Also, thanks to those of you who are once again deciding who is a real fan and who is not and what we should post.
(12-18-2022, 10:36 PM)Tony Wrote:  No... I'll do what I always do. 

I'm beginning to wonder if you continue to do your over-dramatic, "this game is lost" spiel out of superstition. That if you don't, the team might not come back. If so, then by all means continue, as you are taking one for the team.
(12-18-2022, 10:41 PM)Clark W Griswold Wrote: Ooooh I’ve been called out

I also quoted myself on one of those saying “this didn’t age well”.

In JN I try to be a reasonable/sane poster but I use the GD thread to vent in real time and always have. I often laugh at it afterwards but oh well.

Also, thanks to those of you who are once again deciding who is a real fan and who is not and what we should post.

Bro let ot out.. Who cares what these blowhards think? Football is full of emotion... 
(12-18-2022, 10:41 PM)Nepa Wrote: I'm beginning to wonder if you continue to do your over-dramatic, "this game is lost" spiel out of superstition. That if you don't, the team might not come back. If so, then by all means continue, as you are taking one for the team.

I do now lol.. It didn't start like that though.. The 90s are still in my subconscious somewhere..
(12-18-2022, 10:41 PM)Nepa Wrote: I'm beginning to wonder if you continue to do your over-dramatic, "this game is lost" spiel out of superstition. That if you don't, the team might not come back. If so, then by all means continue, as you are taking one for the team.

I never totally feel like that.. esp after last year but it seems to work... My son never gives up and even he said turn it today it's not gonna work lol..