Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illoka "tired of people teeing off" on the Bengals
http://bengalswire.usatoday.com/2017/06/01/george-iloka-is-tired-of-seeing-people-tee-off-on-our-team/

You know what? I'm tired of it to. But as I've said before plenty of times before:

1) our national perception won't change until we part ways with Pacman Jones

2) most importantly, our national perception won't change until we become consistent winners.

That's it in a nutshell. Winning cures all, and we aren't "winning" until we win when it really counts. Imagine if Dalton was busted for playing with deflated footballs. We'd never hear the end of it, "they can't even win when they cheat!" You generally didn't hear much about Brady and the patriots being "cheaters" once they started crushing teams in the postseason. Its not fair, but it is what it is. It won't change until we instill fear in teams come January 
Reply/Quote
Well you summed it up pretty nicely. The only way they can do something about it is to dump Pacman and win a playoff game.

Marv is the source of the playoff problem, Mike is probably the one keeping Pacman around. Good luck getting rid of those 2.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Saving face by cutting Pac Man has already come and gone. It dosent matter what this team does, its what they've already done. They can cut Pac Man today and people will still have the same perception of the Bengals being "Thugs". Then what, cut Burfict? We will still be labeled thugs. After Burfict cut Mixon? It will just go on and on.

I think Pac Man should have been sent packing as soon as he was charged. You don't get the benefit of doubt your 12 or 13th time.

Might as well get used to it. When we're bad we are the Bungals, when we're good we are thugs. This team just needs to come out this season with a chip on their shoulder and just win period.
Reply/Quote
The Bengals had the same image before Pacman even became a Bengal cutting him wont change anything. If the Bengals win a super bowl it won't help either they will be like number 5 in rankings the next year as defending champs.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Makes me like Iloka even more.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Public perception stuff is silly. All my adult life people have thought I was a hard core speed freak biker type even though I've never owned nor ridden a motorcycle and don't take speed. I do have long hair, end of story..I did hang out with the types when I was a young man, but it ended there..
As far as what other fans of other teams believe about the Bengals...? Who cares? The ONLY thing we should even be remotely concerned about with perception is the lack of winning in the post season. We and they all know that the Bengals win plenty of games during the regular season. The rest is just fluff nothing. Thugs? Who cares? That doesn't even begin to register on how I perceive the team and how other fans of other teams perceive us registers even less. Zip, nothing, nodda, zero.. They can take those opinions and file them under the category of what will be the next big toilet paper embossing pattern of paper sold at Family Dollar..It's THAT important. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
At this point, Iloka should just embrace the villain role, as that's how every non-Bengals fan views the Bengals. It won't change.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
You and me both, Brother.
Reply/Quote
I don't care what the public perception is of the Bengals, just win a playoff game.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2017, 03:14 AM)TKUHL Wrote: Saving face by cutting Pac Man has already come and gone. It dosent matter what this team does, its what they've already done. They can cut Pac Man today and people will still have the same perception of the Bengals being "Thugs". Then what, cut Burfict? We will still be labeled thugs. After Burfict cut Mixon? It will just go on and on.

I think Pac Man should have been sent packing as soon as he was charged. You don't get the benefit of doubt your 12 or 13th time.

Might as well get used to it. When we're bad we are the Bungals, when we're good we are thugs. This team just needs to come out this season with a chip on their shoulder and just win period.

Burfict isn't a "thug" he's a former dirty player who will always be remembered for his stupidity in the 2016 wild card game... But I hear he only had one personal foul since then? One can argue he's not even dirty anymore. He's not a problem for this team. Mixon got in trouble one time, 3 years ago and aside from an argument with a meter maid (who hasn't had one? Those guys are rude as hell) he hasn't seen any off the field trouble. If that video of him hitting that woman never came out, he would have been a top 15 pick. Mixon is not a problem with this team. These guys aren't "thugs".  

Pacman is the only real loser on this team. He's a huge repeat offender, might as well say he's a yearly offender. There is no good reason to keep that punk around. I believe it would still send a huge message if we cut his ass, even now. The headlines would be everywhere. There would no doubt be a topic discussion along the likes of "have the Bengals changed their ways?"

But again, even if we keep Pacman around, if we win consistently in the postseason all will be forgotten. 
Reply/Quote
(06-01-2017, 10:42 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Well you summed it up pretty nicely. The only way they can do something about it is to dump Pacman and win a playoff game.

Marv is the source of the playoff problem, Mike is probably the one keeping Pacman around. Good luck getting rid of those 2.

I have no doubt Mike is the one keeping Pacman around. Pacman ponied up to Mike and became close friends with him. Mike loves Pacman's daughter. As long as Mike Brown is around, Pacman won't be going anywhere (same with a certain position coach). It's simple really: you want a lifetime job with the Bengals? Make Mike Brown your BFF. The man is too soft (and, quite frankly, dim-witted) to seperate his professional life from his personal life... Although the Bengals are a family business so what am I even saying? Frustrating as all hell but it is what it is.

And yes, I blame Marv for the playoff ineptitude as well. Corey Dillon knew what he was talking about. Sadly, I believe Marv is in Mikes good graces too. That and Mikes half-assed desire to win is keeping Marv around. I hold out hope every year that Marv just admits he's a failure and retires. The fact that he hasn't signed his yearly extension gives me more hope this year than usual but still, not holding my breath. 

Reply/Quote
Major reps Pat, you said everything i was going to say better then i ever could. Rock On

BTW, i like George of the Jungle a lot and i think this year he will get back in the discussion as one of the best Safeties in
the game. First year with Coyle and not having the Predator next to him. The Safeties improved as the season went on last
year. They will be much better this year i am sure of it, especially with the added pass rush and cover Backer.
Reply/Quote
Well George, you fellas are gonna hafta win a postseason game or five before ANY narratives about your team change.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2017, 01:02 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Burfict isn't a "thug" he's a former dirty player who will always be remembered for his stupidity in the 2016 wild card game... But I hear he only had one personal foul since then? One can argue he's not even dirty anymore. He's not a problem for this team. Mixon got in trouble one time, 3 years ago and aside from an argument with a meter maid (who hasn't had one? Those guys are rude as hell) he hasn't seen any off the field trouble. If that video of him hitting that woman never came out, he would have been a top 15 pick. Mixon is not a problem with this team. These guys aren't "thugs".  

Pacman is the only real loser on this team. He's a huge repeat offender, might as well say he's a yearly offender. There is no good reason to keep that punk around. I believe it would still send a huge message if we cut his ass, even now. The headlines would be everywhere. There would no doubt be a topic discussion along the likes of "have the Bengals changed their ways?"

But again, even if we keep Pacman around, if we win consistently in the postseason all will be forgotten. 
This.  He really hasn't done anything dirty since he decked Baltimore's rookie TE a couple of years ago.  The worst thing he did against Pittsburgh was the hit on Brown, and even James Harrison said it was only worthy of a penalty.

Guilt is in the eye of the beholder, and there's no accounting for the lemming effect, especially in members of the press.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2017, 01:57 PM)3wt Wrote: This.  He really hasn't done anything dirty since he decked Baltimore's rookie TE a couple of years ago.  The worst thing he did against Pittsburgh was the hit on Brown, and even James Harrison said it was only worthy of a penalty.

Guilt is in the eye of the beholder, and there's no accounting for the lemming effect, especially in members of the press.

Those damn lemmings! Whatever
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2017, 01:02 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: Burfict isn't a "thug" he's a former dirty player who will always be remembered for his stupidity in the 2016 wild card game... But I hear he only had one personal foul since then? One can argue he's not even dirty anymore. He's not a problem for this team. Mixon got in trouble one time, 3 years ago and aside from an argument with a meter maid (who hasn't had one? Those guys are rude as hell) he hasn't seen any off the field trouble. If that video of him hitting that woman never came out, he would have been a top 15 pick. Mixon is not a problem with this team. These guys aren't "thugs".  

I know Burfict isn't a thug. I know he is nothing like PAC Man off the field. It's about other fans perceptions of Burfict and even Mixon. Every time there is an article about PAC man doing something stupid Burficts name gets brought up in the comment section. It's not fair for him it's just how he is perceived. Shazier and DeCastro play just as dirty but nobody assumes they are out at night causing havoc. I think people just assume Burfict is just because he's a Bengal.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2017, 02:24 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I know Burfict isn't a thug. I know he is nothing like PAC Man off the field. It's about other fans perceptions of Burfict and even Mixon. Every time there is an article about PAC man doing something stupid Burficts name gets brought up in the comment section. It's not fair for him it's just how he is perceived. Shazier and DeCastro play just as dirty but nobody assumes they are out at night causing havoc. I think people just assume  Burfict is just because he's a Bengal.

Those people are idiots.

Forget them.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2017, 01:14 PM)Pat5775 Wrote: I have no doubt Mike is the one keeping Pacman around. Pacman ponied up to Mike and became close friends with him. Mike loves Pacman's daughter. As long as Mike Brown is around, Pacman won't be going anywhere (same with a certain position coach). It's simple really: you want a lifetime job with the Bengals? Make Mike Brown your BFF. The man is too soft (and, quite frankly, dim-witted) to seperate his professional life from his personal life... Although the Bengals are a family business so what am I even saying? Frustrating as all hell but it is what it is.

And yes, I blame Marv for the playoff ineptitude as well. Corey Dillon knew what he was talking about. Sadly, I believe Marv is in Mikes good graces too. That and Mikes half-assed desire to win is keeping Marv around. I hold out hope every year that Marv just admits he's a failure and retires. The fact that he hasn't signed his yearly extension gives me more hope this year than usual but still, not holding my breath. 

Yup,

And like others have said the only thing that's gonna change the perception and more importantly the teams attitude, is winning. And  especially winning when it counts !

I have very little faith that's coming under Mike and Marvin.
Reply/Quote
(06-02-2017, 02:24 PM)TKUHL Wrote: I know Burfict isn't a thug. I know he is nothing like PAC Man off the field. It's about other fans perceptions of Burfict and even Mixon. Every time there is an article about PAC man doing something stupid Burficts name gets brought up in the comment section. It's not fair for him it's just how he is perceived. Shazier and DeCastro play just as dirty but nobody assumes they are out at night causing havoc. I think people just assume  Burfict is just because he's a Bengal.

....even though the Steelers have COACHES out at night causing havoc....smh.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(06-02-2017, 03:13 PM)Wyche Wrote: ....even though the Steelers have COACHES out at night causing havoc....smh.

Winning is the elixir that cures all negative perceptions. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote