Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Iloka to VIkes?
(08-23-2018, 03:33 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I find myself rooting for the Vikings n packers sometimes.  And anyone playing the Steelers.

Usually pretty easy to root for teams with formal Bengals on them.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2018, 03:32 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Same boat here. Can’t get disinterested once your team is done or sometimes it can be a very short season.

(08-23-2018, 03:33 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: I find myself rooting for the Vikings n packers sometimes.  And anyone playing the Steelers.

Rock On
Reply/Quote
Yep.....I've pulled for the Vikings as a side team for a while.  They sport my high school colors, loved watching the old NFL films with the Purple People Eaters, Fran Tarkenton scrambling around, and stoneface Bud Grant scowling on the sidelines in the frigid Minneaopolis winters.  They were fun to watch when Cunningham had his resurgence, and now Zim's there, a former favorite Seminole, and they drafted Bridgewater out of Louisville.  Always bleed orange and black, but I admit I have a soft spot for the Vikes.  Always secretly pulled for the underdog Aints and Yuccaneers too.  Who'd a thunk back in the 80s that NO and Tampa would have Lombardis and we would not. Shocked

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2018, 11:40 AM)thillan Wrote: Yes, it would. Iloka fits MUCH better in that defense. And don't forget that the Vikes already have a stacked defense.. their front looks terrifying, and they have really talented corners. 

Good pick up by the Vikes, and I don't think it was a bad move by the Bengals either.

Agreed. He didn't suit what we want (turnovers) with our safeties anymore, but he'll slide right into that Zimmer defense seamlessly.

(08-22-2018, 01:23 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: They haven’t won shit. So again, no they haven’t done “whatever it takes to win it all.” They haven’t even been to a SB since 1976.

They might win some playoff games here and there, but they’re almost as used to heartbreak as we are.

They've been to 2 conference championships in the last 9 years. I wish we could say the same. They also replace coaches when they fail.

(08-22-2018, 02:59 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: they added to a decent defense yes... but they got rid of all 3 of their QBs from last year and replaced them with an overpriced underachieving cousins.

I believe the point is that they're trying to make the SB by spending big money to upgrade the QB position, which was considered a weakness for them, despite the uncharacteristic season from Keenum. The Bengals have never been known to make that kind of big splash to make a run.

(08-23-2018, 12:24 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: If they win it all in the near future I guess he’ll have been right.

I’m just getting a little annoyed with all the Vikings love on this board anymore tbh. I liked Zimmer as much as the next guy, but it seems some have really adopted that team as their own, which I just could never do. I root for one team, and one team only, the Cincinnati Bengals. Other than rooting for whoever is playing the Steelers I couldn’t care less about other teams.

They don't have to win it all to prove that they really tried. 

I can agree with your second point though. If someone leaves the Bengals, I don't root for their new team. Bengals only for me.

Do I root for certain teams to lose? Sure...but I don't adopt a 2nd team.

(08-23-2018, 01:17 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It wouldn’t do anything anyway. Marvin has a 2 year deal, and he’s survived 4 win seasons before.

We could probably go 0-16 and Marvin would be back. Have to hope we can just win despite him.

I gave up on Marv going anywhere. Even last year, I was sure he'd be back. He's here until he decides to retire, and I think he still loves his job.

(08-23-2018, 03:32 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Same boat here. Can’t get disinterested once your team is done or sometimes it can be a very short season.

I just do the same thing I did through the 90's. Get interested in watching our young talent, and hoping for good draft positioning.

Watching through losing is part of being a fan. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2018, 10:07 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Reading comprehension? Really? What exactly was the point of his post then since I was so off? Because to me it seemed like he was touting the Vikings as some model franchise that’s had great success. They haven’t. But by all means  let’s keep quibbling over semantics.

Yes, really. He said the Vikings were WILLING to do what it takes to win a Super Bowl. Which is a fact.

The Bengals are not WILLING to do what it takes to win a Super Bowl. Mike Brown wants to win one HIS way, not ANY way. The Vikings haven't gone that path.

The Vikings have actually had plenty of success compared to the Bengals.

Since 1991: The Bengals have 7 winning seasons and 4 division titles. 0-7 in the playoffs.
Since 1991: The Vikings have 15 winning seasons and 8 division titles. 7-14 in the playoffs. They've been to 4 Conference Championships during that time.

The Vikings have reached the Conference Championship game 9 times, which would be tied for 7th most in the NFL.
The Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys, Patriots, Raiders, and Broncos are all above them. They are tied with the Rams.

The Bengals, however, have only ever been to 2 Conference Championship games. The only teams they have more conference championship games than are the Lions, Texans, and Chiefs.
However, they've been to as many as the Cardinals and Saints.

But, no, the Bengals have DEFINITELY had as much success as the Vikings
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2018, 09:32 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Yes, really. He said the Vikings were WILLING to do what it takes to win a Super Bowl. Which is a fact.

The Bengals are not WILLING to do what it takes to win a Super Bowl. Mike Brown wants to win one HIS way, not ANY way. The Vikings haven't gone that path.

The Vikings have actually had plenty of success compared to the Bengals.

Since 1991: The Bengals have 7 winning seasons and 4 division titles. 0-7 in the playoffs.
Since 1991: The Vikings have 15 winning seasons and 8 division titles. 7-14 in the playoffs. They've been to 4 Conference Championships during that time.

The Vikings have reached the Conference Championship game 9 times, which would be tied for 7th most in the NFL.
The Steelers, 49ers, Cowboys, Patriots, Raiders, and Broncos are all above them. They are tied with the Rams.

The Bengals, however, have only ever been to 2 Conference Championship games. The only teams they have more conference championship games than are the Lions, Texans, and Chiefs.
However, they've been to as many as the Cardinals and Saints.

But, no, the Bengals have DEFINITELY had as much success as the Vikings

And at the end of the day they have the same amount of SB wins as us.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2018, 09:46 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: And at the end of the day they have the same amount of SB wins as us.

At the end of the day, they've been to 7 more conference championships, and two more super bowls than the Bengals.  Their fans have had much more to be hopeful for than we have.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2018, 09:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: At the end of the day, they've been to 7 more conference championships, and two more super bowls than the Bengals.  Their fans have had much more to be hopeful for than we have.

Good for them. They’re hardly the NE Patriots though. Some people here overhype them because of Zimmer. The Vikings have historically underachieved. Just a fact.

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2018, 09:57 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Good for them. They’re hardly the NE Patriots though. Some people here overhype them because of Zimmer. The Vikings have historically underachieved. Just a fact.

Lol, let's not forget that the Patriots were historically losers, prior to the Belichick/Brady dynasty.  And, thank God that the Browns fired him, he could have built that same sort of juggernaut in our own division..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2018, 09:32 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Yes, really. He said the Vikings were WILLING to do what it takes to win a Super Bowl. Which is a fact.

If I may jump in to comment on my comment.

I said that referring to them replacing their entire o-line before last season started.

Then after making it to the NFL Title game, they went out and got Cousins as their QB this last off-season. This was after Keenum had a good year for them too, 3500+ yds, 22 tds 7 ints, 98.3 rating.

Anyways it was just a phrase of speech. I am not a fan of the Vikings, but I did root for Zimmer in the playoffs last year. And I do root for former Bengals when they move on to teams that are in the playoffs.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2018, 10:11 PM)Millhouse Wrote: If I may jump in to comment on my comment.

I said that referring to them replacing their entire o-line before last season started.

Then after making it to the NFL Title game, they went out and got Cousins as their QB this last off-season. This was after Keenum had a good year for them too, 3500+ yds, 22 tds 7 ints, 98.3 rating.

Anyways it was just a phrase of speech. I am not a fan of the Vikings, but I did root for Zimmer in the playoffs last year. And I do root for former Bengals when they move on to teams that are in the playoffs.

Fair enough, Millhouse. I didn’t mean to jump on you personally, I’m just sick of hearing about the Vikings is all.

Reply/Quote
I only actively root for two football teams the Cincinnati Bengals and the West Virginia Mountaineers.

...but I spend a lot of time "scouting" college players so their are quite a few players that I like that are around the league. Especially WVU guys like the Raiders with Irvin Joseph and Worley and the Eagles with Gibson Douglas and Smallwood. So while I don't actively root for teams I root for specific players.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2018, 09:54 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: At the end of the day, they've been to 7 more conference championships, and two more super bowls than the Bengals.  Their fans have had much more to be hopeful for than we have.

With all due respect, some of our fans could not handle getting to the playoffs and losing. They went off a cliff, they said things like they had to temper their expectations because they could not handle getting their hopes up and not winning a playoff game. 

This poor fans would really go off if they had been that close to winning it all nd could not secure 1 Super Bowl win.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2018, 11:08 AM)jj22 Wrote: Iloka is already getting far more recognition and props from the National media then he ever did as a Bengal. He'll be in the probowl after this season.

Maybe it's best he was released. For his career sake.
He's not going to any PB's.  You might be overestimating his abilities.  He is not a play maker and there are plenty of S's who are.  His type of S is falling out of vogue in the league.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 01:01 AM)McC Wrote: He's not going to any PB's.  You might be overestimating his abilities.  He is not a play maker and there are plenty of S's who are.  His type of S is falling out of vogue in the league.

This. I was never really of fan of him and would argue all day long that he wasn’t really good and was no play maker. Reggie played the back half of deep coverage and was awesome. He was a great blizter as well
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 01:01 AM)McC Wrote: He's not going to any PB's.  You might be overestimating his abilities.  He is not a play maker and there are plenty of S's who are.  His type of S is falling out of vogue in the league.

This is what i feel as well.

Happy our coaches saw it and moved on to the faster ballhawking Safety types.

Turnovers win games, lowering your head and getting penalties now loses them.

Liked Iloka in his time, especially when Reggie was here who helped him out tons.
Reply/Quote
(08-22-2018, 03:00 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Their oline is crap, actually.

That first drive of the game their crappy oline lead them to a touchdown. Bengals need a crappy oline like Minnesota’s.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 09:43 PM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: That first drive of the game their crappy oline lead them to a touchdown. Bengals need a crappy oline like Minnesota’s.

And Cleveland shutout the defending Super Bowl champs 5-0. It’s preseason. Nothing to put too much stock into.

Reply/Quote
(08-22-2018, 11:24 AM)Go Cards Wrote: Makes perfect sense that Zimmer who drafted Illoka to fit his defensive scheme would want him now that he is a free agent.
I agree.  I said this in the IIoka cut post.  Zimmer drafted him here.  Zimmer taking him to Vikings is like Zimmer bringing in Cowboys Pacman and Newman and the D Lineman and other Cowboys who knew his Zimmer Defense.   IIoka knows the Zimmer Defense, so he would fit right in. 
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
We both have piece of shit low life dirtbag owners. At least ziggy made his money in something other than football and has the wherewithal to hand the keys to someone he doesn’t share dna with.
Reply/Quote