Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
In case you haven't already figured it out..
Don't look for the Bengals to do much in Free Agency.

http://cin.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Bengals-will-not-spend-big-in-free-agency-51281294

Quote:The Bengals have ample cap room, but they also have three big free agents of their own to re-sign (Andrew Whitworth, Kevin Zeitler and Dre Kirkpatrick). They're also likely in line for one of their biggest draft classes in recent memory.
The Bengals have already been preparing as if they'll have a large draft class. Considering they're a team that tends to keep all or most of it's draft picks for at least the first season or two, they simply won't have the room for a big free agent haul.
Don't expect the Bengals to deviate from that philosophy this year. Though they might go after a mid-range free agent or two, it's unlikely they'll be making a big splash when free agency opens in March.

Looks like another year of the same ole' for the Bengals this offseason. More "draft and develop", and "try to keep the best of our own".
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 01:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don't look for the Bengals to do much in Free Agency.

http://cin.247sports.com/Bolt/Report-Bengals-will-not-spend-big-in-free-agency-51281294

Looks like another year of the same ole' for the Bengals this offseason.  More "draft and develop", and "try to keep the best of our own".

Oh I'm sure it's gonna be wash, rinse, repeat with the Mike/Marvin show. They'll retain most of the dead weight on the cheap, sign a couple has beens off the scrap heap, let Zeitler walk, etc.

And the window is gonna shut on Andy, AJ, Carlos, Geno, Whit, and company.

Never fear though Mike will announce Marvin's 2 year extension soon.  Ninja
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 01:31 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Don't look for the Bengals to do much in Free Agency.

Looks like another year of the same ole' for the Bengals this offseason.  More "draft and develop", and "try to keep the best of our own".

I hate this idea that were going to honestly draft and keep 11 players on this team. It totally goes against Marvin's current coaching "philosophy". Drafting 11 rookies means you have to play some of them over our "vested veterans", which is something Marvin refuses to do. I say you honestly consider keeping 7-9 and use the other picks as tools to move around or get more picks for next year. If you honestly planning on drafting 11 guys, then you need to seriously consider opening up opportunities for those players, not to mention drafting 11 rookies all but confirms that we are rebuilding.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote

Is this the part where we're all supposed to go Twitch ?  LOL

We all saw it coming, have for 26 years!  IF they sign the three FAs we need the most, I won't say much, but it's looking like at least one walks.  Therefore, this "try to keep the best of our own" is merely a line of shit if that's the case.  THAT'S what is so frustrating in all of this.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 01:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh I'm sure it's gonna be wash, rinse, repeat with the Mike/Marvin show. They'll retain most of the dead weight on the cheap, sign a couple has beens off the scrap heap, let Zeitler walk, etc.

The sumbitch is nailed shut my friend.....so long as Ludwig van Alexander and Mr. Coach Marvin Klines are still here.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 01:40 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Oh I'm sure it's gonna be wash, rinse, repeat with the Mike/Marvin show. They'll retain most of the dead weight on the cheap, sign a couple has beens off the scrap heap, let Zeitler walk, etc.

If they intend to make the roster younger, they should at least make signing all of our valuable FA candidates a priority.  The team really screwed itself two years ago, with the Ogbuehi pick.  I'm assuming that the plan was for Ogbuehi to pan out, Whitworth to be able to ride off into the sunset, and the only major re-signing to be concerned with were Zeitler and Kirkpatrick.  Now, with that screw up, they are not only scrambling to keep Whitworth on the team and playing at a high level, but also likely looking to fill big shoes at RG. 

That is not good news for an offensive line that struggled like it did last year.

(02-15-2017, 01:41 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: I hate this idea that were going to honestly draft and keep 11 players on this team. It totally goes against Marvin's current coaching "philosophy". Drafting 11 rookies means you have to play some of them over our "vested veterans", which is something Marvin refuses to do. I say you honestly consider keeping 7-9 and use the other picks as tools to move around or get more picks for next year. If you honestly planning on drafting 11 guys, then you need to seriously consider opening up opportunities for those players, not to mention drafting 11 rookies all but confirms that we are rebuilding.

I agree, that is too much new blood in one turnover.  First question to answer, who do you get rid of to make room for 11 new bodies?  Sure, we can all come up with 5-7 off the top of our heads, but our opinions never seem to be in line with the folks at the controls.

Just look at Cleveland.  They have drafted a ton of players in the past few years, most of them are starting for other teams.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 01:52 PM)Wyche Wrote: The sumbitch is nailed shut my friend.....so long as Ludwig van Alexander and Mr. Coach Marvin Klines are still here.

[Image: buford-t-justice-3.jpg]

- - - - - - - - -

As to the OP though, that's not particularly surprising. Anyone who is surprised hasn't paid much attention to this team or has terrible memory. They'll let a big FA or two go, we'll all rationalize it by saying they wanted too much money, or didn't want to stay, or wanted to be a #1. It might even be true, too. Then the team won't do anything to fill that void in FA and perpetually just continue to spin their tires in the mud both player and coach-wise.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 02:00 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: If they intend to make the roster younger, they should at least make signing all of our valuable FA candidates a priority.  The team really screwed itself two years ago, with the Ogbuehi pick.  I'm assuming that the plan was for Ogbuehi to pan out, Whitworth to be able to ride off into the sunset, and the only major re-signing to be concerned with were Zeitler and Kirkpatrick.  Now, with that screw up, they are not only scrambling to keep Whitworth on the team and playing at a high level, but also likely looking to fill big shoes at RG. 

That is not good news for an offensive line that struggled like it did last year.

I agree, that is too much new blood in one turnover.  First question to answer, who do you get rid of to make room for 11 new bodies?  Sure, we can all come up with 5-7 off the top of our heads, but our opinions never seem to be in line with the folks at the controls.

Just look at Cleveland.  They have drafted a ton of players in the past few years, most of them are starting for other teams.

Yup,

If they don't do some major fixing on the offensive line nothing else is gonna matter ! Letting Z walk, standing pat on Oguehi aka 'ole and Bodine aka human turnstyle and it's gonna farwell and ado Andy.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 02:02 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: [Image: buford-t-justice-3.jpg]

- - - - - - - - -

As to the OP though, that's not particularly surprising. Anyone who is surprised hasn't paid much attention to this team or has terrible memory. They'll let a big FA or two go, we'll all rationalize it by saying they wanted too much money, or didn't want to stay, or wanted to be a #1. It might even be true, too. Then the team won't do anything to fill that void in FA and perpetually just continue to spin their tires in the mud both player and coach-wise.

Mikey needs an "attention getter" from the Sheriff I do believe
Reply/Quote
Same ole, same ole. 9-7 next year.
[Image: 43325991030_4d39723a8f.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 02:31 PM)reuben.ahmed Wrote: Same ole, same ole. 9-7 next year.

Sad, as the way I see it, with a few key additions this team is still a major contender.  It really is that simple.  Just get a solid FA to upgrade one of the slots on the OL, and a minor upgrade at RDE.  With getting Billings and WJ3 back, the rest should take care of itself.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
What is this Free Agency thing you speak of? Confused
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 05:16 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: What is this Free Agency thing you speak of?   Confused

That tool that other teams use when they are a player or two away from being serious contenders. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Yeah, I'm not even excited about it this year. I figured they'd be active when they sucked and needed talent on the roster. Nope. I figured they'd be active when they looked good enough to maybe be one difference-maker away. Nope. I figured they'd be active when Marvin literally said they'd be active. Nope. There's pretty much no scenario whatsoever where this team will be active with A or B grade outside talent.
Reply/Quote
At this point, no one should expect anything from free agency.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 05:19 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That tool that other teams use when they are a player or two away from being serious contenders. 

Oh that.  Mikey doesn't seem to have that tool in his tool box.  Of course there was James Harrison and AJ Hawk...... Hilarious
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
Reply/Quote
I realize we've seen through the facade by now, but it's got to be easier to spin the value of doing zilch in FA when we aren't coming off a crap season.
Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 06:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I realize we've seen through the facade by now, but it's got to be easier to spin the value of doing zilch in FA when we aren't coming off a crap season.

That's when the spin turns to silence.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 05:33 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Oh that.  Mikey doesn't seem to have that tool in his tool box.  Of course there was James Harrison and AJ Hawk...... Hilarious

Don't know if he's got the tool or not. He's got the toolbox.  It's padlocked in his bedroom closet.  Tried to use it once, used the wrong tool, blew the job, that was that.  He keeps it as a reminder to never go that route again. 

He will allow Dollar Store tools to be used, though.  They don't do much for you but, hey, it shows you were trying.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(02-15-2017, 02:42 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Sad, as the way I see it, with a few key additions this team is still a major contender.  It really is that simple.  Just get a solid FA to upgrade one of the slots on the OL, and a minor upgrade at RDE.  With getting Billings and WJ3 back, the rest should take care of itself.
Remember! Mikey's goal is to just get to the playoffs; He doesn't care if the Bengals win or lose  in the playoffs/ Sick Sick Sick
Reply/Quote