Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In defense of Drew Sample
I agree with Fred and others that WR is more of the need and with all the other holes the team has TE shouldn't be addressed until later in the draft if at all. Just doing mock drafts and looking at highlights really made me see the potential in Brevin Jordan and all the possibilities.

I do think with the early chemistry/connections Uzomah seemed to have with Burrow. Also with his early injury and the fact that Achilles injuries usually heal stronger. Uzomah if he can stay healthy could have a bit of a breakout year that could shock some people.
Reply/Quote
(04-21-2021, 08:21 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Certain players just seem to draw some posters hate. Sample is no where near as bad as he is made out to be. He does what he was drafted to do, and has also shown to be a decent receiver as well.

It's because he doesn't produce gaudy fantasy stats.  He's a fine player, does his job well.

(04-21-2021, 01:38 PM)Goalpost Wrote: How does a guy with great separation average 8.7 ypc.

Because he's asked to run short routes and make himself available as the QBs last resort.

(04-21-2021, 01:43 PM)Forever Spinning Vinyl Wrote: Well, like Reggie Kelly . . . . he spends a lot of time helping the weak o-line and when there are no open receivers, he gets a short dump off. Same reason Rudi Johnson had a low ypc

While it is true that the Bengals OL has been particularly weak during Sample's time here, he blocks so often because that is often the TE's role in the Zac Taylor offense.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 11:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I had one of those "out of the box" moments yesterday.  No, it wasn't drug-induced.  I tried to think along with the team and, most specifically, with the coach.  I looked at his first draft.  A TE in Rd 2.  Why did he do that if he lives in 11 personnel more than any other coach?  What if he actually would PREFER to be a 12 personnel team, and he has been wanting Pitts all along?  That is what Belicheck has made a lot of hey with, and he never has problems beating pitt.  What if this is a massive smoke screen and they want Pitts, and are going to add one more bigger, bruising RB and have more emphasis on the rushing attack?

I can't imagine that he would change his stripes to that extent.  He always gave up on the run last year.  Even when Uzo was healthy, they weren't in 12 personnel much.  But, to be fair, he was still trying to get his money's worth out of AJ Green.  Chase, to me, is the perfect fit as he is a complete WR that can bully DBs that try to press him and he has an uncanny ability to track/get open deep down field.  That being said, that 2nd round pick for a TE still got me thinking....

In my opinion 12 personel gives a defense more issues
Than 11 personel. You can run power football and still spread
Out the defense in 12 personel if you draft a Kyle Pitts.

As a matter of fact I think the Chiefs are going to.run 
More 12 personel this year and less 11.

I think resigning Perrine might be the tip off they are drafting Pitts. Perrine is physical RB with good leg drive.

Maybe this coaching staff realizes more power football
And less empty sets goes along way protecting JB 
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 12:13 PM)impactplaya Wrote: In my opinion 12 personel gives a defense more issues
Than 11 personel. You can run power football and still spread
Out the defense in 12 personel if you draft a Kyle Pitts.

As a matter of fact I think the Chiefs are going to.run 
More 12 personel this year and less 11.

I think resigning Perrine might be the tip off they are drafting Pitts. Perrine is physical RB with good leg drive.

Maybe this coaching staff realizes more power football
And less empty sets goes along way protecting JB 

It is an interesting thought process and let's face it:  The Pats won MANY championships in 12.  

If Atlanta took Chase, and the Bengals got an amazing offer to slide to where the Panthers are so they could take Fields, or Sewell, then the Bengals could get Pitts after Miami likely takes Devonta Smith. Get Pitts and a lot of extra future picks?  I would not mind this one bit.  

Of course, I would be gulping Jack Daniel's like I was about to give birth to a bowling ball out of my arse out of fear that they wouldn't get him after sliding.  
Reply/Quote
(04-25-2021, 11:34 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I had one of those "out of the box" moments yesterday.  No, it wasn't drug-induced.  I tried to think along with the team and, most specifically, with the coach.  I looked at his first draft.  A TE in Rd 2.  Why did he do that if he lives in 11 personnel more than any other coach?  What if he actually would PREFER to be a 12 personnel team, and he has been wanting Pitts all along?  That is what Belicheck has made a lot of hey with, and he never has problems beating pitt.  What if this is a massive smoke screen and they want Pitts, and are going to add one more bigger, bruising RB and have more emphasis on the rushing attack?

I can't imagine that he would change his stripes to that extent.  He always gave up on the run last year.  Even when Uzo was healthy, they weren't in 12 personnel much.  But, to be fair, he was still trying to get his money's worth out of AJ Green.  Chase, to me, is the perfect fit as he is a complete WR that can bully DBs that try to press him and he has an uncanny ability to track/get open deep down field.  That being said, that 2nd round pick for a TE still got me thinking....

You never know, I would love Kyle Pitts, then go OL. I just don't like the thought of taking a TE in the 2nd after not taking
Sewell or Slater in the first. Even if it is Freiermuth. It is tricky and a big reason why the board has been so off kilter lately.

Dead on with Chase, dude is built and I think people are underrating his strength. Chase is built like a RB but has an uncanny
way of getting open as Burrow said. All for Chase as I am Pitts and Sewell.

(04-25-2021, 11:36 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Duane Eskridge is a slot WR, but I absolutely love the guy in the later rounds to develop behind Boyd and be the slot backup.  If he was there in Rd 5 I am all over him, but I think he will go much earlier after his Senior Bowl performance.  

Eskridge would be fine with me in the 3rd if we took care of the OL for the most part.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 12:00 AM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: You never know, I would love Kyle Pitts, then go OL. I just don't like the thought of taking a TE in the 2nd after not taking
Sewell or Slater in the first. Even if it is Freiermuth. It is tricky and a big reason why the board has been so off kilter lately.

Dead on with Chase, dude is built and I think people are underrating his strength. Chase is built like a RB but has an uncanny
way of getting open as Burrow said. All for Chase as I am Pitts and Sewell.

Eskridge would be fine with me in the 3rd if we took care of the OL for the most part.

While I really like the kid, I am not taking him before the 4th mainly because he will be a slot WR (and OUTSTANDING KR/PR) and I would like to double dip with the offensive line going OT in the 2nd and one of the guards like Meinerz, Cleveland, or Brown in the 3rd.  
Reply/Quote

I'd love it if Pitts was the pick.

It's like how it would be better if the moon landing was fake and how impressive it would be to have fooled almost everyone for so long.
Reply/Quote
(04-26-2021, 08:24 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: While I really like the kid, I am not taking him before the 4th mainly because he will be a slot WR (and OUTSTANDING KR/PR) and I would like to double dip with the offensive line going OT in the 2nd and one of the guards like Meinerz, Cleveland, or Brown in the 3rd.  

Yeah, I hope Eskridge falls as far as you think and we snatch him up I just don't think he falls past the 3rd round.
Reply/Quote