Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In wake of kidnap plot, GOP defends Trumps increased attacks on Whitmer
One of the surprising (I guess, though maybe not really) storylines from this weekend was Trump's amplified attacks on Whitmer in the wake of the FBI arresting domestic terrorists who wanted to kidnap her.

Trump had a rally in Michigan in which he criticized her. The crowd eventually started a "lock her up" chant to which Trump replied "lock them all up"

His daughter in law suggested it was "fun" and "lighthearted".

Ronna McDaniel said that "lock her up" and "lock them all up" was only in the context of Whitmer locking down the state and shouldn't be construed as implying anything else. She tried to credit Trump with foiling the kidnapping, saying it was his FBI that stopped it.

Both deflected at some point by saying Republicans get threats from Democrats as well.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Was it that group that had a secondary plan to target Governor Northam? I can't remember, anymore. Needless to say, those folks are trash and Trump is trash for his response to it all.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
Chanting "Lock him/her/them up" at a Trump rally is like a Houston Oilers fan saying their team is number 1.  It's just a farce and we all know it.

(10-19-2020, 03:00 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Was it that group that had a secondary plan to target Governor Northam? I can't remember, anymore. Needless to say, those folks are trash and Trump is trash for his response to it all.

Clearly the liberal media and/or some college professor has brainwashed you into thinking Trump is trash.  Sad. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 03:00 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Was it that group that had a secondary plan to target Governor Northam? I can't remember, anymore. Needless to say, those folks are trash and Trump is trash for his response to it all.

Yep

Reply/Quote
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article246513655.html
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 03:45 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.kansas.com/news/politics-government/article246513655.html

Liberate Wichita!!!
Reply/Quote
He WaS jUsT jOkInG

hE dIdN't MeAn It LiKe ThAt

He TeLlS iT lIkE iT iS
Reply/Quote
I cannot fathom how people do not see how problematic it is for the ***** chief executive of the country to be chanting "lock [them] up!" about people from the opposing political party.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 04:25 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I cannot fathom how people do not see how problematic it is for the ***** chief executive of the country to be chanting "lock [them] up!" about people from the opposing political party.

Unsure he was chanting it, but he should have taken this particular chant very seriously and shut them down.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 04:25 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I cannot fathom how people do not see how problematic it is for the ***** chief executive of the country to be chanting "lock [them] up!" about people from the opposing political party.

I'd claim that Trump has been "joking" about being a dictator the same way a guy "jokes" about giving a threesome a try to his wife but I'm just one of those "orange man equals bad because me think media fair!" people, I guess.

In Trump's defense he's just giving idiots what they want, or what they want to hear, but this level of "I'm just saying stuff" usually isn't relegated to the highest office.  This all seems absurd to me, but meh...

(10-19-2020, 04:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Unsure he was chanting it, but he should have taken this particular chant very seriously and shut them down.

Why should he?  He's just dancing with the lady he took to the proverbial dance on this one.  Stay the course.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 04:30 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Unsure he was chanting it, but he should have taken this particular chant very seriously and shut them down.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/oct/18/gretchen-whitmer-donald-trump-rally-lock-her-up-michigan

The clip at the link doesn't show the whole speech. Just when the crowd starts chanting and him echoing it, then skipping to saying he guesses she was threatened, responding with "And she blamed me."

Of course, it's hard to fault Whitmer for blaming him. Even after the attempt, Trump is still encouraging people to 'free their state' and his family members/cabinets members/federal employees (it's hard to figure out what roles they all have) dismiss it as 'rally fun.' I wonder if they would feel the same if political opponents were continuing to use the same language that led to someone trying to commit acts of violence against Trump.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 06:12 PM)Benton Wrote: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/oct/18/gretchen-whitmer-donald-trump-rally-lock-her-up-michigan

The clip at the link doesn't show the whole speech. Just when the crowd starts chanting and him echoing it, then skipping to saying he guesses she was threatened, responding with "And she blamed me."

Of course, it's hard to fault Whitmer for blaming him. Even after the attempt, Trump is still encouraging people to 'free their state' and his family members/cabinets members/federal employees (it's hard to figure out what roles they all have) dismiss it as 'rally fun.' I wonder if they would feel the same if political opponents were continuing to use the same language that led to someone trying to commit acts of violence against Trump.

Of course Whitmere is not to blame. I just question the narrative that he was chanting it. 

This does not excuse Trump's actions; I just strive for what really happens. 

Reply/Quote

He hasn't taken his office seriously for 4 years - what the **** makes you think he's gonna start now at the eleventh hour?
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 06:31 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: He hasn't taken his office seriously for 4 years - what the **** makes you think he's gonna start now at the eleventh hour?

I didn't say I think he will. 

Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 06:12 PM)Benton Wrote: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/oct/18/gretchen-whitmer-donald-trump-rally-lock-her-up-michigan

I guess that's why his daughter in law and the chair of the RNC went with "both sides do it".

Reply/Quote

I didn't have a major problem with it regarding Hillary, and yeah I know that doesn't jive with what I'm about to say.  Even if a political opponent is facing actual criminal charges this kind of behavior would be prejudicial to the trial at best and dangerous as you describe at worst.  Whitmer certainly went overboard with her executive orders, as exemplified by the courts totally shutting her down in this regard, but that's the kind of thing you pay for on election day.  
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 08:05 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I didn't have a major problem with it regarding Hillary, and yeah I know that doesn't jive with what I'm about to say.  Even if a political opponent is facing actual criminal charges this kind of behavior would be prejudicial to the trial at best and dangerous as you describe at worst.  Whitmer certainly went overboard with her executive orders, as exemplified by the courts totally shutting her down in this regard, but that's the kind of thing you pay for on election day.  

I didn't like it with clinton, just for the idea that were not the kind of people who condone jailing political opponents.

People said I should lighten up, it's not like people are going to literally try and take out trump's opposition.

Hah. Guess they had a point.

Facepalm
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 02:56 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: One of the surprising (I guess, though maybe not really) storylines from this weekend was Trump's amplified attacks on Whitmer in the wake of the FBI arresting domestic terrorists who wanted to kidnap her.

Trump had a rally in Michigan in which he criticized her. The crowd eventually started a "lock her up" chant to which Trump replied "lock them all up"

His daughter in law suggested it was "fun" and "lighthearted".

Ronna McDaniel said that "lock her up" and "lock them all up" was only in the context of Whitmer locking down the state and shouldn't be construed as implying anything else. She tried to credit Trump with foiling the kidnapping, saying it was his FBI that stopped it.

Both deflected at some point by saying Republicans get threats from Democrats as well.

https://www.kwqc.com/video/2020/10/19/trump-pushes-reopening-says-lock-them-all-up/

See, when he flips his hand and says "Lock her up". Then adds (derisively in my opinion) "Lock them all up" he only SAID those words.  We can't go by what he actually said we must do a deep dive into HOW he said it and what he meant in context of everything he has said about Michigan and the lockdowns.  

I look forward to multiple threads with many, many pages discussing this.  Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
Is there a reason Trump supporters aren't pissed that Hillary Clinton is not locked up 4 years after he got elected? Or is it just like "He's saying something I like to hear, so who cares what he does, as long as he says it." I guess it's better that Trump wants to lock Hillary up rather that voting for Hillary who is probably a lot less likely to want Hillary locked up.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2020, 09:21 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Is there a reason Trump supporters aren't pissed that Hillary Clinton is not locked up 4 years after he got elected?  Or is it just like "He's saying something I like to hear, so who cares what he does, as long as he says it."  I guess it's better that Trump wants to lock Hillary up rather that voting for Hillary who is probably a lot less likely to want Hillary locked up.

Deep state.

If Trump can just get rid of all the executive branch (which, coincidentally, is now 73% related to him), then he can finally bring an end to BENGHAZI!

It's bound to happen sometime in the next four years. Just like: the Trump healthcare plan, fixing the wage gap, bringing all the troops home, ending abortion, ending all taxes, building a wall, having Mexico pay to build a wall, etc, etc.

Trump has done a few good things. Then there's the 95% of stuff he said he would do and hasn't gotten around to. At this rate, he only needs to live to 165 years old and get elected another couple dozen times in order to fulfill his first term campaign promises.
Reply/Quote