Poll: insanity defense justified for religious killing?
Yes, it is insane to kill on God's command
No. Belief in following Gods orders is not insanity.
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Insanity defense
(09-28-2020, 04:19 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I’m saying you have to absolutely not know the difference between right and wrong in our laws. God may have told them to, but they still know it’s wrong in our conventional morality. Any attempt to hide the crime then no.

Was it wrong to kill Osama bin Laden?
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 01:23 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Was it wrong to kill Osama bin Laden?

No
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 09:39 AM)michaelsean Wrote: No

According to you? Or according to God?
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 10:42 AM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: According to you? Or according to God?

Me.  Can you just come out and ask what you want to ask?  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 11:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What does "knowing more about the Bible" actually mean?

In this instance it means I knew about the story of Abraham being told to kill his own son Isaac and you did not.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 07:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: If you guys weren't so consume with attacking me you would see that denying the insanity defense to people acting under the direction of God is actuallu SUPPORTING religious belief.  If you allow them to use the insanity defense then you are saying that all religious people are insane.

Oh, I'm sorry that I took offense to you calling me and every other religious person in the world insane. Rolleyes
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 07:42 PM)fredtoast Wrote: You god told Abraham to kill his own son.

Yes He did. But stopped him before he actually killed him.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:11 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Me.  Can you just come out and ask what you want to ask?  

Just wondering out loud what are the exceptions to the thou shall not kill command.
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 07:57 PM)Dill Wrote: Well how does that work with the gay thing then.?We were supposed to kill them 3,000 years ago. How does God stand on that now? Same for witches and adulterers.

"Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone"
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 12:07 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Yes He did. But stopped him before he actually killed him.

But, Abraham was going to kill his son. Was Abraham insane?
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 12:07 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Just wondering out loud what are the exceptions to the thou shall not kill command.

It is my understanding that the actual translation in English is "thou shall not murder". 
Reply/Quote
(09-28-2020, 06:05 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Any person who believes in God should also know that God would not tell them to commit an action that would break HIS laws, too. You know, something like murdering someone else, for example.

But, also, if God asks you to break human law, He'd expect you to accept the consequences, as well.

First, God has killed millions.

Second, God makes the rules. God can change the rules anytime he wants. Isn’t that why you can now wear linen and wool together? Or why you can’t beat your slave anymore? A new covenant and all?
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 12:12 PM)PhilHos Wrote: It is my understanding that the actual translation in English is "thou shall not murder". 

There were several thousand Iraqis killed during the 2003 invasion of Iraq. We’re they killed or murdered?
Reply/Quote
I am not a lawyer, but I don't think an insanity plea has anything to do with the validity of the belief, it more depends on what the person actually believes. If they're just using it as a tool to stay out of prison, that's one thing. But if they actually believe that Jesus speaks them and tells them to commit crimes, then insanity may be something worth exploring.

You don't want to send an actual crazy person to a prison when they could be rehabilitated in an asylum (as much as those asylums actually rehabilitate someone, I can't say. Horror video games lead me to believe they do not even try Tongue )
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 12:23 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: There were several thousand Iraqis killed during the 2003 invasion of Iraq. We’re they killed or murdered?

Since they were killed in the context of a war or armed conflict, no, they were not murdered.
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 12:33 PM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: I am not a lawyer, but I don't think an insanity plea has anything to do with the validity of the belief,  it more depends on what the person actually believes. If they're just using it as a tool to stay out of prison, that's one thing. But if they actually believe that Jesus speaks them and tells them to commit crimes, then insanity may be something worth exploring.

You don't want to send an actual crazy person to a prison when they could be rehabilitated in an asylum (as much as those asylums actually rehabilitate someone, I can't say. Horror video games lead me to believe they do not even try Tongue )

Well, Fred is a lawyer but apparently couldn't be bothered to define what would constitute a legitimate insanity defense.  Essentially you have to have been unable to discern the wrongness of your actions or been of diminished capacity (to which there are limits).
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 11:30 AM)fredtoast Wrote: In this instance it means I knew about the story of Abraham being told to kill his own son Isaac and you did not.
Pretty sure I knew the story. I posed the question to you in an attempt for you to gain some self awareness. The one example you provided showed that no one was killed because God Commanded.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 12:07 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Just wondering out loud what are the exceptions to the thou shall not kill command.

i'm not sure what that has to do with anything I've written.  Can you connect the dots?

Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 12:48 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Since they were killed in the context of a war or armed conflict, no, they were not murdered.

So how does armed conflict exempt those from God’s law?
Reply/Quote
(09-29-2020, 01:16 PM)michaelsean Wrote: i'm not sure what that has to do with anything I've written.  Can you connect the dots?

Just in the larger context of the topic of when people think it is or isn’t okay to kill according to a religious belief.
Reply/Quote