Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insomnia
Anybody else have this problem? It's 5:00 am and I haven't slept a wink. And I'm wide awake. This sucks! Surely I'm not the only one with this problem?
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I used to have it often but not anymore. A couple melatonin at night before bed helps.

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 07:05 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Anybody else have this problem?  It's 5:00 am and I haven't slept a wink.  And I'm wide awake.  This sucks!  Surely I'm not the only one with this problem?

My whole existence on this board stems from this very problem.
Reply/Quote
Usually, I sleep well but there are times half of a piece of edible really helps. If I take a whole piece, I can be groggy for about the first two hours the next day. THC dark chocolate, since it's legal in IL if anyone is wondering.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 08:12 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: I used to have it often but not anymore. A couple melatonin at night before bed helps.

I've tried that and it does help me sleep but it gives me a massive headache in the mornings.

I have to stick to a plan. I'm not allowed to take naps and if I'm awake for 48 hours I have to lay down with my eyes closed for around 4 hours it's not as good as sleep but it helps.
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 09:01 AM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: Usually, I sleep well but there are times half of a piece of edible really helps. If I take a whole piece, I can be groggy for about the first two hours the next day. THC dark chocolate, since it's legal in IL if anyone is wondering.

This. ^^^
Reply/Quote
I usually have a sleepless night once every three weeks or so.

It's almost always because of a bad daily routine. Poor diet and exercise are among the worst culprits. Excessive time looking at screens too. I try and make an effort, but as I'm sure is the case for everyone It's not always easy.
Reply/Quote
Beer
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 09:10 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Beer

This helps too with a dose of melatonin. Sometimes I switch to Z-quil for a few months and then go back. Both work, but prepare to snore.

Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 07:05 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Anybody else have this problem? It's 5:00 am and I haven't slept a wink. And I'm wide awake. This sucks! Surely I'm not the only one with this problem?

What is your daily caffeine intake? Is your resting heart rate high and/or do you have high blood pressure?
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 08:35 AM)hollodero Wrote: My whole existence on this board stems from this very problem.

I'm sometimes not sure if you're being serious.  But in this case, I'm sure you're not joking around.  Sorry to hear that man.
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 09:01 AM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: Usually, I sleep well but there are times half of a piece of edible really helps. If I take a whole piece, I can be groggy for about the first two hours the next day. THC dark chocolate, since it's legal in IL if anyone is wondering.

Well, it's nice to see someone being upfront about cannabis use.  It's no secret that I'm a huge advocate for legalization.  Unfortunately, I've smoked for so long, even a straight Indica doesn't make me sleepy.

But under normal circumstances, I used to sleep like a baby after smoking.  And it's legal where I live, too.   Ninja
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 10:32 PM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: What is your daily caffeine intake?  Is your resting heart rate high and/or do you have high blood pressure?

Okay...I usually cut off all caffeine around 6 or 7.  And I don't drink much during the day.  My resting heartbeat is normal as I do have hypertension, we check my blood pressure daily.  And it's well controlled.  And as I mentioned above, I do consume cannabis.  But I've been smoking since I was a teenager and never had ANY problems with sleeping, or insomnia until recently.

If I remember correctly, you're in the medical profession?  Both my grandfather and father suffered from insomnia.  Could it be hereditary? 
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 09:20 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: This helps too with a dose of melatonin. Sometimes I switch to Z-quil for a few months and then go back. Both work, but prepare to snore.

Every time I see you post, especially about beer.  I am reminded of your "Can Wow" commercial you made on Youtube.   Wink
Reply/Quote
I just popped a gummy. Usually i use it for sleep, which it does help me and the wife, but lately I’ve been eating gummies for pain management. Arthritis sucks….especially at 44.

I’ve stopped drinking anything with caffeine after 4 o clock otherwise it’ll keep me up later than I want to be.
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

Reply/Quote
(11-23-2021, 12:26 AM)BengalHawk62 Wrote: I just popped a gummy.  Usually i use it for sleep, which it does help me and the wife, but lately I’ve been eating gummies for pain management.  Arthritis sucks….especially at 44.  

I’ve stopped drinking anything with caffeine after 4 o clock otherwise it’ll keep me up later than I want to be.

You guys got me thinking gummies are the way to go.  I just enjoy my bong rips.  But kudos to all of you for being honest about it.  Weed helps a lot of conditions.  I have high blood pressure, but I've checked (My wife is a retired RN) it and without a doubt, it brings my BP down, considerably I might add.  

I'm also diabetic.  And after a lot of testing, smoking also lowers my blood glucose levels.  And helps it stay nice and regulated.

But still with this insomnia.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2021, 12:09 AM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Okay...I usually cut off all caffeine around 6 or 7.  And I don't drink much during the day.  My resting heartbeat is normal as I do have hypertension, we check my blood pressure daily.  And it's well controlled.  And as I mentioned above, I do consume cannabis.  But I've been smoking since I was a teenager and never had ANY problems with sleeping, or insomnia until recently.

If I remember correctly, you're in the medical profession?  Both my grandfather and father suffered from insomnia.  Could it be hereditary? 

I’m not in the medical profession — I’m a physicist — but I’ve had lots of medical issues including insomnia. My thinking is your caffeine cutoff may be a bit late in the day; my insomnia went away when I started consuming no more than one source of caffeine — coffee, tea, or Coke — per day AND never consuming the caffeinated beverage after noon.
Reply/Quote
(11-23-2021, 01:18 AM)Fan_in_Kettering Wrote: I’m not in the medical profession — I’m a physicist — but I’ve had lots of medical issues including insomnia.  My thinking is your caffeine cutoff may be a bit late in the day; my insomnia went away when I started consuming no more than one source of caffeine — coffee, tea, or Coke — per day AND never consuming the caffeinated beverage after noon.

My bad FiK.  Somewhere I guess I assumed you were in the medical profession in some form.  Lol  But you certainly have a lot of knowledge on this topic.  I have been thinking  1 cup of coffee in the morning to get going.  And then no additional caffeine after maybe 5:00 or so.  I usually have a Diet Dr. Pepper or 2 during the day.  IMO, it has to be caffeine intake, or genetics, or both combined.

Either way, I appreciate the advice friend, very much so.  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
(11-22-2021, 11:58 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: I'm sometimes not sure if you're being serious. 

Quite rightfully so.

(11-22-2021, 11:58 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: But in this case, I'm sure you're not joking around.  Sorry to hear that man.

It's not a joke. I do stuff like surfing around at night or posting silly stuff in a Bengals board of all places mainly because I can't sleep. It sure is an inconvenience at times, but many people got it worse really. Starting with those that have small children, or those that have a snoring spouse, or those that actually have to start work very early or in timeshifts, they all sleep way less and/or way worse. Since none of these things applies to me, I'm not exactly suffering a horrible fate.
Reply/Quote
Insomnia used to be a way of life for me for the vast majority of my life. The past few years I've been able to nod out watching just about anything on TV and sleeping at night? i feel like a completely different human being. I was always a night person, worked nights, drank late into the night, did dope late at night, etc, but since i sobered up, got clean, blah, blah and so on I've been able to drop off just about any time and wake up at the sunrise without a clock or alarm going off.... I think age has a lot to do with it, but I won't take sleeping pills anymore. They're to easy to get to the point you have to take them to sleep at all and then feel groggy the whole next day.. BLAH!
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote