Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Insomnia
(12-05-2021, 12:49 PM)samhain Wrote: Really?  Fred is probably the most legit hippie on this board.

I had no idea.
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-05-2021, 12:49 PM)samhain Wrote: Really?  Fred is probably the most legit hippie on this board.

I dunno.. I kicked a heroin habit and I'm kind of old too. BTW..Heroin will help ya sleep for about a good half hour when you nod out..Then you'll be awake for 3 days going through withdraw walking all over town looking for someone, anyone who'll sell you another fix on credit!  Good luck with that one.. Just tell the cops its medicinal .. Nervous
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 12:38 PM)grampahol Wrote: I dunno.. I kicked a heroin habit and I'm kind of old too. BTW..Heroin will help ya sleep for about a good half hour when you nod out..Then you'll be awake for 3 days going through withdraw walking all over town looking for someone, anyone who'll sell you another fix on credit!  Good luck with that one.. Just tell the cops its medicinal .. Nervous

Brother, I kid with you alot on here, but getting off that shit is hard I'm sure.  Sounds to me like you've overcome a lot of addiction related times in your life gramps.  I'm glad you're still here!
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2021, 03:26 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Brother, I kid with you alot on here, but getting off that shit is hard I'm sure.  Sounds to me like you've overcome a lot of addiction related times in your life gramps.  I'm glad you're still here!

Thanks and yeah, it's tough. I've done it cold turkey and through methadone treatment. Cold turkey was about 3 days of feeling worse than garbage, but it didn't last very long. I got my face kicked in and had a busted eye socket a year or so later and was right back to the races. It took about 4 tries with clinics and finally ended up in Texas with almost no other options but the clinic and spent 10 years in treatment there. Again I injured my back and got re-addicted to pain meds so I'm just now wrapping up another stint in rehab. I'm still on a very low dose of methadone, just a few drops every few days now. I have enough experience to know better than to try to rush it.. I figure another month or so and I'll be free and clear once again.
Anyone who thinks they are immune to addiction is a damned fool. It can sneak up on anyone who takes any opiate based medication over any length of time..  If you have an addictive personality it's just that much harder. Anyone who struggles with controlling alcohol is vulnerable too..  Watch yourselves fellas.. Ninja
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2021, 02:54 PM)grampahol Wrote: Thanks and yeah, it's tough. I've done it cold turkey and through methadone treatment. Cold turkey was about 3 days of feeling worse than garbage, but it didn't last very long. I got my face kicked in and had a busted eye socket a year or so later and was right back to the races. It took about 4 tries with clinics and finally ended up in Texas with almost no other options but the clinic and spent 10 years in treatment there. Again I injured my back and got re-addicted to pain meds so I'm just now wrapping up another stint in rehab. I'm still on a very low dose of methadone, just a few drops every few days now. I have enough experience to know better than to try to rush it.. I figure another month or so and I'll be free and clear once again.
Anyone who thinks they are immune to addiction is a damned fool. It can sneak up on anyone who takes any opiate based medication over any length of time..  If you have an addictive personality it's just that much harder. Anyone who struggles with controlling alcohol is vulnerable too..  Watch yourselves fellas.. Ninja

[Image: 200.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2021, 02:54 PM)grampahol Wrote: Thanks and yeah, it's tough. I've done it cold turkey and through methadone treatment. Cold turkey was about 3 days of feeling worse than garbage, but it didn't last very long. I got my face kicked in and had a busted eye socket a year or so later and was right back to the races. It took about 4 tries with clinics and finally ended up in Texas with almost no other options but the clinic and spent 10 years in treatment there. Again I injured my back and got re-addicted to pain meds so I'm just now wrapping up another stint in rehab. I'm still on a very low dose of methadone, just a few drops every few days now. I have enough experience to know better than to try to rush it.. I figure another month or so and I'll be free and clear once again.

Addiction is a strange affliction.   I have tried all sorts of addictive drugs and never got hooked.  I even used to smoke regular cigarettes for the head buzz they gave me and never became a smoker.  But it has nothing to do with my "willpower" because in other phases of my life I have none.  I am about 80 lbs overweight and absolutely can not control what I eat for any length of time.  I am just as "weak" as a drug addict.  I am just lucky that the glitch in my brain, or whatever it is involves a substance that does not get me thrown in jail.

I do most of my work in criminal court and juvenile court.  Over 90% of the issues in those courts involve drug addiction.  Almost all the people stealing stuff are doing it to support their drug habit.  If you ever hear of a home invasion or violent robbery it usually is a drug deal gone bad or the target is drug money or drugs.  Most fights and domestic assaults involve people who are drunk or high.  And then there are all of the charges for possessing, selling, or driving under the influence of drugs.  In juvenile court BY FAR the number one reason people lose their kids is drug addiction.  I have seen so many parents completely fall apart and break down in court when their kids are removed, but they still can't stay clean long enough to get their kids back. 

The hardest part is not getting clean.  It is staying clean.  Addicts have to have proper counselling, after care, and support in order to stay clean.  That is where most of them mess up.  They get clean for a while (usually while in jail) and they think they have it under control.  Or maybe they think they can use "just a little bit".  But unless they understand how to deal with their triggers and other underlying issues they will always relapse.

And finally, the number one problem is prescription drugs.  There are more people addicted to prescription opioids (painkillers) and benzodiazepines (valium, xanax) than all other drugs combined.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2021, 09:11 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Addiction is a strange affliction.   I have tried all sorts of addictive drugs and never got hooked.  I even used to smoke regular cigarettes for the head buzz they gave me and never became a smoker.  But it has nothing to do with my "willpower" because in other phases of my life I have none.  I am about 80 lbs overweight and absolutely can not control what I eat for any length of time.  I am just as "weak" as a drug addict.  I am just lucky that the glitch in my brain, or whatever it is involves a substance that does not get me thrown in jail.

I do most of my work in criminal court and juvenile court.  Over 90% of the issues in those courts involve drug addiction.  Almost all the people stealing stuff are doing it to support their drug habit.  If you ever hear of a home invasion or violent robbery it usually is a drug deal gone bad or the target is drug money or drugs.  Most fights and domestic assaults involve people who are drunk or high.  And then there are all of the charges for possessing, selling, or driving under the influence of drugs.  In juvenile court BY FAR the number one reason people lose their kids is drug addiction.  I have seen so many parents completely fall apart and break down in court when their kids are removed, but they still can't stay clean long enough to get their kids back. 

The hardest part is not getting clean.  It is staying clean.  Addicts have to have proper counselling, after care, and support in order to stay clean.  That is where most of them mess up.  They get clean for a while (usually while in jail) and they think they have it under control.  Or maybe they think they can use "just a little bit".  But unless they understand how to deal with their triggers and other underlying issues they will always relapse.

And finally, the number one problem is prescription drugs.  There are more people addicted to prescription opioids (painkillers) and benzodiazepines (valium, xanax) than all other drugs combined.
Hi Fred,

Thank you for some interesting contributions on this thread, and your posts about the Bengals are always fun, too. Earlier in this thread, I posted that I take an edible to help me sleep sometimes. Yes, it works but for the first two hours the next day, I'm usually way too groggy.

There are now dispensaries all over the place in Illinois, and the one in Marion, a town along I-57 is an extremely thriving business that has been totally remodeled and always has a full parking lot when I drive by there. They have strict rules for people out of state buying stuff, but it wouldn't surprise me to see TN license plates in the parking lot since it is pretty easy to get here from western TN and even straight up I24 from Nashville.

As for insomnia, the best approach is to keep your bedtime and waking up time the same, make your bedroom a sanctuary (i.e. keep all electronics and clutter out of it and charge your phone somewhere else), and be active during the day so that you're legitimately tired when you turn in for the night.
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2021, 09:41 AM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: There are now dispensaries all over the place in Illinois, and the one in Marion, a town along I-57 is an extremely thriving business that has been totally remodeled and always has a full parking lot when I drive by there. They have strict rules for people out of state buying stuff, but it wouldn't surprise me to see TN license plates in the parking lot since it is pretty easy to get here from western TN and even straight up I24 from Nashville.

Hey gal!  I have been in the Consume Dispensary in Marion several times.  They are indeed very strict on out of state purchases.  I have been in several different dispensaries in Michigan as well.  Their limits are way higher.  And the prices are much lower than Illinois.

But you have to keep in mind Michigan has been recreational for 2 years now.  Prices were insane when they opened.  I may, or may not, have been one of the first 10 people to legally purchase recreational weed legally in the entire state.   Ninja  And, I may or not be in several Youtube videos as it was a huge deal, the freakin AP was there!
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2021, 07:29 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Hey gal!  I have been in the Consume Dispensary in Marion several times.  They are indeed very strict on out of state purchases.  I have been in several different dispensaries in Michigan as well.  Their limits are way higher.  And the prices are much lower than Illinois.

But you have to keep in mind Michigan has been recreational for 2 years now.  Prices were insane when they opened.  I may, or may not, have been one of the first 10 people to legally purchase recreational weed legally in the entire state.   Ninja  And, I may or not be in several Youtube videos as it was a huge deal, the freakin AP was there!

Yes, the prices are high and 25% goes to taxes. There is a smaller business that has edibles in Carbondale, and they have a very good dark chocolate edible bar. So, that's what I use now when I need help getting to sleep. Hopefully, the prices at Marion Consume will come down. They have a much better selection than the Consume Carbondale location. 
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2021, 08:48 PM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: Yes, the prices are high and 25% goes to taxes. There is a smaller business that has edibles in Carbondale, and they have a very good dark chocolate edible bar. So, that's what I use now when I need help getting to sleep. Hopefully, the prices at Marion Consume will come down. They have a much better selection than the Consume Carbondale location. 

My wife's boy and his family live in Paducah, KY.  They just opened up a dispensary right across the I-24 bridge in Metroplolis, IL.  I'll probably end up venturing in there someday in the near future, Lol  And a little lighter in the wallet.  

You know, I believe this is the first time you and I have spoken.  Although I have obviously seen you out in the war zones, Lol  But anyway it's always nice to meet a fellow consumer who obviously is very experienced.  Nice to talk to you young lady.
[Image: 200.gif]  
Reply/Quote
(12-10-2021, 09:41 AM)WiregrassBenGal Wrote: There are now dispensaries all over the place in Illinois,

Took my daughter to the Pitchfork Music Festival in Chicago.  I did not attend.  I just drove her up there after her original travel partner backed out. She said the first thing you saw when you entered the venue was a massive marijuana dispensary.  But she was still just 17 at the time and could not purchase anything.
Reply/Quote