Poll: Which 1
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Interior Oline Option
(03-17-2022, 03:06 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Why not sign vets for them to compete with in camp? Vets along the lines of perhaps a Blythe or a Reiter tier of player?  With this approach, if a younger guy outplays a vet in camp, they win the spot on the depth chart.  Maybe they'd trade or cut a veteran at that point.  I'm not arguing that they can fill every position.  I just see it as negligent to not make every effort to have 5 OK starters and one backup who they can feel good about before the season starts.  The identity of this team is that of a pass first offense that will live or die by its QB/starting WR trio.  I'd double down on that identity by giving them more time to operate.  Here's a grim stat: Joe Burrow is 2 for 2.  He has played in two NFL seasons and has suffered a knee injury at some point during both of them.  To just assume that he'll be like Russell Wilson or Ben Rothlisberger who can get by with fewer than 5 legitimate starters on the line seems like wishful thinking to me.  If they spend more resources on the OL to ultimately have to make some difficult cuts after a bloodbath of competition, that seems like it'd be worth the investment.  Brady, Peyton Manning, etc. were rightfully treated as the focal point of their respective teams - and rightfully so.  Why not do the same for Burrow?  Why not take every precaution so as to ensure that 2 for 2 doesn't become 3 for 3?

Either start drafting correctly or get someone who can. The Chiefs started two rookies in the OL. The center Humphrey graded #1 of all centers this year. Moses they should have gone after or resign Reiff to another 1 year deal and drafted an OT @ #31. It ain’t hard.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 01:40 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: Either start drafting correctly or get someone who can. The Chiefs started two rookies in the OL. The center Humphrey graded #1 of all centers this year. Moses they should have gone after or resign Reiff to another 1 year deal and drafted an OT @ #31. It ain’t hard.

Wait, I thought Raimann was your answer at RT?

Seriously though, something must be in the works, a trade for Collins or Daryl Williams which is my prediction.
Reply/Quote
Sure hope something is in the the works. Seems like they upgraded two spots on the line without spending huge money, resigned BJ Hill and brought back some players for depth on the bench. With so many key players on rookie contracts, this is their time to go for it. Will be disappointed if Hopkins and Wayne’s are back at their current contract
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 01:59 PM)bk42 Wrote: Sure hope something is in the the works.  Seems like they upgraded two spots on the line without spending huge money, resigned BJ Hill and brought back some players for depth on the bench.  With so many key players on rookie contracts,  this is their time to go for it.  Will be disappointed if Hopkins and Wayne’s are back at their current contract

Same. Want to see us bring in Daryl Williams, JC Tretter and a Corner and let Hop and Waynes go.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 01:40 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote:  It ain’t hard.

That is like saying it is not hard to find a Hall of Fame QB in the 6th round because of Tom Brady.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2022, 01:36 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I think so too, I understand people have concerns with Linderbaum's size and short arms but all he did was dominate in college 
against some of the best DT's in the nation. I expect he can make up for his short arms with fast hands, great technique and strength
in the Pros. He has the tools to get it done. In a way him being undersized is a blessing as that is the reason he falls to us.

Sure isn't his play on the field or he would be gone in the early teens.

Even though Price's shorter arms may have the Bengals sticking to their "minimum standards" on arm length even more tightly, Linderbaum is the highest rated center by PFF of all time, and his tape (outside of PFF ranking) doesn't lie.  I think you are right that he is long gone, but not every team runs the style of offense that is needing a more athletic center.  Not sure how many of those teams will need a center, either, with all the pass rushing talent, WR talent, and even DB talent.  

It is going to be fun....
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 08:06 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Even though Price's shorter arms may have the Bengals sticking to their "minimum standards" on arm length even more tightly, Linderbaum is the highest rated center by PFF of all time, and his tape (outside of PFF ranking) doesn't lie.  I think you are right that he is long gone, but not every team runs the style of offense that is needing a more athletic center.  Not sure how many of those teams will need a center, either, with all the pass rushing talent, WR talent, and even DB talent.  

It is going to be fun....

Linderbaum will fall cause of the short arms. Just the way it goes as it is concerning for teams. Before the measurements he was
going to be a pick in the teens. I expect him to fall all the way to us after, it is concerning even to us but I think we take a chance 
on him. We play in the AFC North against some of the biggest, meanest NT's in the league. Linderbaum could struggle early with 
his short arms, I could even see us passing on him cause of it.

Like I said though, I think he can make up for it. It is a bit of a gamble.

Sounds like we are putting Karras at Center though so Carman can start at LG this season while adding La'el Collins.

I know a lot of people won't like this but if Carman comes around we will be significantly better than last year especially on the 
right side with Cappa and Collins. Talk about an upgrade from Adeniji and Prince. Karras is also a much better run blocker than 
Hop and Carman is a good run blocker. Mixon should be really excited, he will have some nice holes to run through with this OL.
Reply/Quote
Even with the short arms I doubt Linderbaum makes it to 31.
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 01:47 PM)Big Boss Wrote: Even with the short arms I doubt Linderbaum makes it to 31.

Dammit why did we have to play so well last year and screw up the draft??? Hilarious
Reply/Quote
Option #1 was by far the least popular and has now been eliminated with the release of Hop.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-18-2022, 01:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Linderbaum will fall cause of the short arms. Just the way it goes as it is concerning for teams. Before the measurements he was
going to be a pick in the teens. I expect him to fall all the way to us after, it is concerning even to us but I think we take a chance 
on him. We play in the AFC North against some of the biggest, meanest NT's in the league. Linderbaum could struggle early with 
his short arms, I could even see us passing on him cause of it.

Like I said though, I think he can make up for it. It is a bit of a gamble.

Sounds like we are putting Karras at Center though so Carman can start at LG this season while adding La'el Collins.

I know a lot of people won't like this but if Carman comes around we will be significantly better than last year especially on the 
right side with Cappa and Collins. Talk about an upgrade from Adeniji and Prince. Karras is also a much better run blocker than 
Hop and Carman is a good run blocker. Mixon should be really excited, he will have some nice holes to run through with this OL.

You nailed it. 

I am far from giving up on Carman.  He needs to show he can take the next step, especially in terms of consistency.  I sign Spain and let the two of them fight it out for LG.  If Carman is out of shape and hasn't step up his mental focus, it falls to Spain.  

Mixon will be a massive beneficiary with this improved line.  They won't be run-first, but they will sure be versatile.  

Should they get Collins, RG, C, and RT would all have a roughly 20 PFF point improvement over their predecessor.  I know PFF isn't the be all and end all, but 20 points is like the difference between Jonah and Bobby Hart.  Having that improvement at three spots is just insane.  

I don't care that ESPN and the NFL network are all ball-washing the Raiders, steelers, Broncos (that one I get a little), and now Browns...It is almost like everyone thinks the Bengals run was luck and they won't be back.  Let them be underdogs again (sorry, Joe).  
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 09:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You nailed it. 

I am far from giving up on Carman.  He needs to show he can take the next step, especially in terms of consistency.  I sign Spain and let the two of them fight it out for LG.  If Carman is out of shape and hasn't step up his mental focus, it falls to Spain.  

Mixon will be a massive beneficiary with this improved line.  They won't be run-first, but they will sure be versatile.  

Should they get Collins, RG, C, and RT would all have a roughly 20 PFF point improvement over their predecessor.  I know PFF isn't the be all and end all, but 20 points is like the difference between Jonah and Bobby Hart.  Having that improvement at three spots is just insane.  

I don't care that ESPN and the NFL network are all ball-washing the Raiders, steelers, Broncos (that one I get a little), and now Browns...It is almost like everyone thinks the Bengals run was luck and they won't be back.  Let them be underdogs again (sorry, Joe).  

They probably want Carman and Smith to fight it out for LG. It was great having Spain but they have two guys on rookie contracts, making around 2.6M combined and they don't really need to sign him at this point. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 09:45 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: You nailed it. 

I hope so Racer.

True that this Line will be much better at run blocking. Cappa/Karras is significantly better than Adeniji/Hopkins.

I think D'Ante Smith will be the main man pushing Carman cause he can play LT too as well as Guard.

We will see if Spain is brought back for competition. Right now we don't know same with Collins who just left without a contract
which might mean his hip is bad and I wouldn't want him anyways if that is the case and would rather have Daryl Williams.

(03-19-2022, 07:52 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: They probably want Carman and Smith to fight it out for LG. It was great having Spain but they have two guys on rookie contracts, making around 2.6M combined and they don't really need to sign him at this point. 

Yes.
Reply/Quote
(03-19-2022, 10:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I hope so Racer.

True that this Line will be much better at run blocking. Cappa/Karras is significantly better than Adeniji/Hopkins.

I think D'Ante Smith will be the main man pushing Carman cause he can play LT too as well as Guard.

We will see if Spain is brought back for competition. Right now we don't know same with Collins who just left without a contract
which might mean his hip is bad and I wouldn't want him anyways if that is the case and would rather have Daryl Williams.

Yes.

Maybe I am wrong about Smith, but I see neither him or Adeniji as guards.  They are both tackles that should be groomed to start at Tackle.  

Maybe a draft pick will push Carman and provide quality depth in the interior.  The main difference is not relying on the draft pick to come in and start.
Reply/Quote