Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ireland becomes first country to legalize gay marriage via pop vote
(05-26-2015, 04:06 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Post #39

They are trying to force themselves on to our voted on laws. That passed with popular vote. If they don't agree then come down live here and vote to repeal it. Until they get a majority then this is how it is... Not one person is losing "rights"
(05-26-2015, 04:06 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Well first off.... Marriage is only for the family and community.   Traditionally speaking.   Gov just got in to prevent interracial marriage.  

A contract written by an attorney would be fine.  Like a partnership.  Then you could spell out whatever you needed legally.  That's no differnt than a marriage certificate from the gov.  

As far as ceremony goes ... That's a religious thing.   So see hour church or have whoever do whatever if your not religious.

Next week I'm attending a graduation ceremony. Is that ceremony religious? What about any of the umpteenth military ceremonies I attended? Religious? No.
(05-26-2015, 04:07 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Lol huckabee.  Sorry I don't need to read about a progressive.    Ofc he would say that he is a Teddy Roosevelt progressive

He wants regulation to "protect" you from yourself

Of course he would say what? I didn't quote him. I only used him as an example of how politician's religious beliefs affect their politics.
(05-26-2015, 04:10 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: They are trying to force themselves on to our voted on laws.  That passed with popular vote.   If they don't agree then come down live here and vote to repeal it.   Until they get a majority then this is how it is...  Not one person is losing "rights"

You changed the words but not the message.   When white males were the only ones who could vote do you believe not one person was losing their "rights"?
(05-26-2015, 10:14 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: And I would alright if we overturned every regulation that regulates my life.   Problem is that we won't ...

Would you be alright if we overturned every regulation that regulates EVERYONE ELSE'S life?

Would you be fine driving on the roads if no one had to pass a drivers test?

Would you be fine with those big nuclear power plants in your back yard not having to pass any safety tests or inspections?
(05-26-2015, 04:06 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Well first off.... Marriage is only for the family and community.   Traditionally speaking.   Gov just got in to prevent interracial marriage.  

A contract written by an attorney would be fine.  Like a partnership.  Then you could spell out whatever you needed legally.  That's no differnt than a marriage certificate from the gov.  

The government controls the laws of forming a partnership.

Thought a businessman like you would know that.
(05-26-2015, 03:52 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Many feel it's an erosion of the family unit.   The belief is that a child needs a mother and a father... Not a father and another father pretending to be a mother.    Or vice versa.... Mom's aren't good fathers.   They do their best but it's not the same.  

I shared the op Ed awhile back from that girl who was raised by 2 moms and she didn't know what she missed out on until she saw her kids with her husband.     Good example and a first hand look at someone in that expierence.    

As far as me and dealing with it here .... Like I said I just think we have bigger fish to fry.   Not to take away from your cause here.... I know this is one of your soapbox issues.

Then I hope they are as passionate about banning single parenting.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-26-2015, 04:14 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Next week I'm attending a graduation ceremony. Is that ceremony religious?  What about any of the umpteenth military ceremonies I attended?  Religious?  No.

Obviously we are talking about a wedding ceremony. Stop being silly.
H
(05-26-2015, 07:57 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Would you be alright if we overturned every regulation that regulates EVERYONE ELSE'S life?

Would you be fine driving on the roads if no one had to pass a drivers test?

Would you be fine with those big nuclear power plants in your back yard not having to pass any safety tests or inspections?

Nuclear power is the safest and least environmentally impactful than any. So yes I wouldn't mind . And that would be very green of us.

Ps I have a big nuclear power plant by me. I don't worry one bit.

I also wouldnt care if we stopped having gov drivers licenses. It's pointless.

As far as overturning all regs feel free to list them and we can go point by point.
(05-26-2015, 08:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The government controls the laws of forming a partnership.

Thought a businessman like you would know that.

Yeah but then no one would get fired up over the attempt to take over a religious thing.... Which marriage is.... Anyone can write up a partnerahip. Everyone wins ... religious people get their ways respected and gays get these marriage "benefits" they are so ever clammoring for.... Eveyone wins.
(05-26-2015, 04:54 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: You changed the words but not the message.   When white males were the only ones who could vote do you believe not one person was losing their "rights"?

Marriage is not a right. Anyone can be married. Just say your married. Gov marriage is a joke anyway. Which should be put out to pasture. We don't need gov marriage to keep interracial marriages from happening any longer.
(05-26-2015, 10:00 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Then I hope they are as passionate about banning single parenting.

Single parenting is awful. And has been a blight on society. It's a shame how many kids have had to grow up in a single parent homes. But that excuse isn't enough to say 2 mom's or 2 dads is ideal. Yeah I guess it's better than no parents... But nothing Beats a mom and a dad. And the only people who dont think so.... Never expierenced it ...

There is no banning. But we should educate that having a mom and a dad is ideal for children. Exceptions to violence ofc.
(05-26-2015, 04:05 PM)GMDino Wrote: Basically you agree with RP that we didn't need the civil right act then.  

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2012/01/09/400521/rand-paul-explains-his-familys-opposition-to-civil-rights-act-its-about-controlling-property/

Your "property" is more important than "equal rights" for ALL citizens of the US.

Got it.

I do not believe a private citizen or business should be forced to comply with any regulation forcing service to anyone. There are a variety of valid reasons to not provide service to anyone. And regardless ... It's their choice who they wanna do business with of they exclude people then they face the issue of losing business and going out of business.

Individual rights trump all. Because we all have the same individual rights. It's the ONLY "fair" way.
(05-26-2015, 04:17 PM)oncemoreuntothejimbreech Wrote: Of course he would say what?  I didn't quote him. I only used him as an example of how politician's religious beliefs affect their politics.

Huckabee is Teddy Roosevelt ... Gonna tell you how to live, gonna tell you what's best for you. A Teddy Roosevelt progressive.

He doesn't speak for me? I am a christian who believes in God but I have made it clear .... Your salvation is your business, and mine is mine. So I don't advocate forcing my beliefs on anyon else.... In my view they will have their awakening when God speaks to them.

Stats have shown atheists are losing numbers. So as you get older you get in touch with your spiritual self.
(05-27-2015, 04:41 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I do not believe a private citizen or business should be forced to comply with any regulation forcing service to anyone.   There are a variety of valid reasons to not provide service to anyone.   And regardless ... It's their choice who they wanna do business with of they exclude people then they face the issue of losing business and going out of business.    

Individual rights trump all.  Because we all have the same individual rights.   It's the ONLY "fair" way.

Then you believe the majority has the right to oppress the minority because of their "individual rights". You support racism and segregation. At least you are being honest about it.

(05-27-2015, 04:46 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Huckabee is Teddy Roosevelt ... Gonna tell you how to live, gonna tell you what's best for you.   A Teddy Roosevelt progressive.  

He doesn't speak for me? I am a christian who believes in God but I have made it clear .... Your salvation is your business, and mine is mine.   So I don't advocate forcing my beliefs on anyon else.... In my view they will have their awakening when God speaks to them.  

Stats have shown atheists are losing numbers.  So as you get older you get in touch with your spiritual self.

TR cleaned up the businesses that were eating the american workers alive. That's not "individual rights" that's helping the country as a whole. If Huckabee did 1% of the things TR did in his life he'd be a better man for it.

Give me a man who fights for his fellow man...all them...and doesn't cede his thinking to what he was told to believe in a book written 2000+ years ago any day. I am a Catholic and Huckabee doesn't represent me as an American and as human being.

Add to that that more Americans are identifying as "non-affiliated" and you could not have had a more wrong post if you tried.

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/05/12/americas-changing-religious-landscape/

Quote:The Christian share of the U.S. population is declining, while the number of U.S. adults who do not identify with any organized religion is growing, according to an extensive new survey by the Pew Research Center. Moreover, these changes are taking place across the religious landscape, affecting all regions of the country and many demographic groups. While the drop in Christian affiliation is particularly pronounced among young adults, it is occurring among Americans of all ages. The same trends are seen among whites, blacks and Latinos; among both college graduates and adults with only a high school education; and among women as well as men. (Explore the data with our interactive database tool.)

To be sure, the United States remains home to more Christians than any other country in the world, and a large majority of Americans – roughly seven-in-ten – continue to identify with some branch of the Christian faith.1 But the major new survey of more than 35,000 Americans by the Pew Research Center finds that the percentage of adults (ages 18 and older) who describe themselves as Christians has dropped by nearly eight percentage points in just seven years, from 78.4% in an equally massive Pew Research survey in 2007 to 70.6% in 2014. Over the same period, the percentage of Americans who are religiously unaffiliated – describing themselves as atheist, agnostic or “nothing in particular” – has jumped more than six points, from 16.1% to 22.8%. And the share of Americans who identify with non-Christian faiths also has inched up, rising 1.2 percentage points, from 4.7% in 2007 to 5.9% in 2014. Growth has been especially great among Muslims and Hindus, albeit from a very low base.

Christians Decline as Share of U.S. Population; Other Faiths and the Unaffiliated Are GrowingThe drop in the Christian share of the population has been driven mainly by declines among mainline Protestants and Catholics. Each of those large religious traditions has shrunk by approximately three percentage points since 2007. The evangelical Protestant share of the U.S. population also has dipped, but at a slower rate, falling by about one percentage point since 2007.2

Even as their numbers decline, American Christians – like the U.S. population as a whole – are becoming more racially and ethnically diverse. Non-Hispanic whites now account for smaller shares of evangelical Protestants, mainline Protestants and Catholics than they did seven years earlier, while Hispanics have grown as a share of all three religious groups. Racial and ethnic minorities now make up 41% of Catholics (up from 35% in 2007), 24% of evangelical Protestants (up from 19%) and 14% of mainline Protestants (up from 9%).
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-27-2015, 04:35 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Single parenting is awful.  And has been a blight on society.   It's a shame how many kids have had to grow up in a single parent homes.    But that excuse isn't enough to say 2 mom's or 2 dads is ideal.   Yeah I guess it's better than no parents...   But nothing Beats a mom and a dad.  And the only people who dont think so.... Never expierenced it ...

There is no banning.   But we should educate that having a mom and a dad is ideal for children.  Exceptions to violence ofc.

lol, a blight on society? I can tell you that growing up with a single mother was far better for me than growing up with my mother and my alcoholic father.

I experienced both single parenting and having a mom and dad. Would I have been happier to have my dad clean and in my life? Sure, but it turned out far better adjusted than many others I know with both parents in their house. My single mom raised a professor getting his PhD and two teachers working on their masters. Not bad for a woman who had her first at 19 and last at 23, who worked a $20k a year cashier job at a grocery store, and never went to college.

But, I guess her parenting was a blight on society, right?
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-27-2015, 04:25 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Ps I have a big nuclear power plant by me.   I don't worry one bit.  

I know you do. In fact one of my best friends works for Bechtel National out of Oak Ridge. He is possibly being sent to a long term project on that very nuclear power plant. If he does then I will go down there to visit him (he had a condo on the beach last time he was down there). So I will have a chance to look you up and meet in person.

But to claim that you don't want any safety regulations on nuclear power plants is obviously a joke. I know you lack a lot of knowledge in many areas, but surely you are aware of the safety record of industry in the United States before there were standard safety regulations. When profit is the only motive no one spends any money on safety.
(05-27-2015, 04:35 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Single parenting is awful.  And has been a blight on society.   It's a shame how many kids have had to grow up in a single parent homes.    But that excuse isn't enough to say 2 mom's or 2 dads is ideal.   Yeah I guess it's better than no parents...   But nothing Beats a mom and a dad.  And the only people who dont think so.... Never expierenced it ...

There is no banning.   But we should educate that having a mom and a dad is ideal for children.  Exceptions to violence ofc.

As a single parent who grew up with both parents, it's not nearly as black and white as you would like to make it out to be. All this crap about the erosion of the family unit, well heterosexual marriages are doing just fine of screwing that up on there own. I don't see how that makes any difference on same sex marriage, since most don't have children anyway, unless it was from a previous marriage.
(05-27-2015, 09:22 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: lol, a blight on society? I can tell you that growing up with a single mother was far better for me than growing up with my mother and my alcoholic father.

I experienced both single parenting and having a mom and dad. Would I have been happier to have my dad clean and in my life? Sure, but it turned out far better adjusted than many others I know with both parents in their house. My single mom raised a professor getting his PhD and two teachers working on their masters. Not bad for a woman who had her first at 19 and last at 23, who worked a $20k a year cashier job at a grocery store, and never went to college.

But, I guess her parenting was a blight on society, right?

Sorry you dad wasnt around.... And getting an education and success is not the only thing a parent gives their kids. There are just some thngs that a mom can only do and only some things a dad can only do.... That's the difference. Those things....

Yes the family unit is in serious trouble nationwide. Too many single parents, divorced, or never married at all . I think that's a problem. Look at blacks .... Their struggle can be related to single parent homes.
(05-27-2015, 04:35 AM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Single parenting is awful.  

Sorry this statement really bugs me, maybe it's because I'm single father. Maybe it's because you sound really judgmental. But you don't know other peoples lives, you sound awful here. Sometimes divorce is better for the children depending on the circumstances. There was a time when children were brought up in some pretty abusive homes because divorce was considered taboo.