Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Irv Smith a Bengal
(03-29-2023, 08:33 PM)Nepa Wrote: In the link that I posted, Mike Tannenbaum has Daward Jones going 15th.  I think the odds are not great that a top OT will slide as far as the Bengals.

I would not read that into a single link. The consensus ranking for Jones is 36 and his highest has been 34. His consensus projection is oddly enough 28 to the Bengals. The consensus ranking on Wright is 28 and his consensus projection is 16. I do not find it a stretch at all that Jones is there at 28 for the Bengals.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/big-boards/2023/consensus-big-board-2023
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 08:38 PM)OSUfan Wrote: I would not read that into a single link. The consensus ranking for Jones is 36 and his highest has been 34. His consensus projection is oddly enough 28 to the Bengals. The consensus ranking on Wright is 28 and his consensus projection is 16. I do not find it a stretch at all that Jones is there at 28 for the Bengals.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/big-boards/2023/consensus-big-board-2023

I hope you prove correct. I'd love for some highly regarded OT prospects to fall to the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 08:19 PM)OSUfan Wrote: No thank you. He is a liability in blitz pickup and will struggle running between the tackles on a regular basis. Give me Tyjae Spears in the 3rd. He can run inside or outside, he has really good hands, has another gear when he gets in the open field, and the Senior Bowl staff said he stood out in blitz pickup drills.

I think he'll be a hell of a running back in this league. We haven't had a game changing back since Dillon, and I think Robinson has a chance to be that back. I guess we'll agree to disagree.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 08:19 PM)OSUfan Wrote: No thank you. He is a liability in blitz pickup and will struggle running between the tackles on a regular basis. Give me Tyjae Spears in the 3rd. He can run inside or outside, he has really good hands, has another gear when he gets in the open field, and the Senior Bowl staff said he stood out in blitz pickup drills.

Are you sure you're talking about Bijan Robinson? 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 10:12 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Are you sure you're talking about Bijan Robinson? 

He has to be talking about Jahmyr Gibbs and he's wrong either way Gibbs is an excellent between the tackles running he just isn't a thumper which is fine. He's closer to Kamara, Ekeler, Aaron Jones skillsets. As for Spears I like Spears but he has alot of Jets Michael Carter to him. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 07:36 PM)Nepa Wrote: Odds are strong these four will be gone by the time of the Bengal's pick. 

DaWand Jones should be there. I have seen him go in the 2nd round many times.

(03-29-2023, 07:56 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I wouldn't mind Bijan Robinson either. I don't think he makes it either, but I've seen him drop to us in a couple of mock drafts. I feel like there's quite a few players we could snag in the first round that could be an instant starter./contributor

Yeah, would love Bijan, but just like Darnell Wright I don't see him falling to us dang it all.

(03-29-2023, 08:11 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Is Kincaid a good blocker?

I've read several places that he is a receiving threat but that he struggles in both pass protection and run blocking. I've not seen any of his games, so just curious if anyone else has seen him and can rate him as a blocker.

Don't really want a one dimensional tight end.

Kincaid is a terrible blocker, doesn't even try sometimes, he is a WR playing TE. Good Receiver, but that is not all we need in a TE.

Darnell Washington or Michael Mayer if we go TE that early for me. Musgrave has the tools but not the production.

Disagree on Bijan, agree on Tyjae.

Bijan is better in blitz pickup than Tyjae from the vids by far, I like what the Senior Bowl staff said about Tyjae though which makes him 
my go to RB in the 2nd to 3rd round with all his skills. Great balance and as you say good hands and his other gear, dude is tough.

(03-29-2023, 08:33 PM)Nepa Wrote: In the link that I posted, Mike Tannenbaum has Daward Jones going 15th.  I think the odds are not great that a top OT will slide as far as the Bengals.

Eh, that is a lot of OT's to go in the first. Have seen DaWand Jones falling to the mid to late 2nd with his lack of athleticism and the
fact a lot of giants just don't make it in the NFL. I would take DaWand at 28 and even better trade back if Darnell Wright is gone, but 
hey, just take the guy you like is all I want us to do.
Reply/Quote
Been watching highlights of Irv Smith and the thing that jumps out immediately is his speed he’s going to be a matchup nightmare with linebackers and box safeties. He’s gonna be too shifty for 80% of the leagues linebackers to keep up with him. He also should get open a lot in that 8-15 yard range.

I think teams will man him up and dare him to win his one on ones and hopefully he does win those so teams stop bracketing Higgins and Chase. He’s more athletic than Hurst who was pretty athletic himself so hopefully Irv gets more 15+ yard catches than Hayden.

He’s a fun piece to have. Just gotta stay healthy.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 11:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: DaWand Jones should be there. I have seen him go in the 2nd round many times.

Yeah, would love Bijan, but just like Darnell Wright I don't see him falling to us dang it all.

Kincaid is a terrible blocker, doesn't even try sometimes, he is a WR playing TE. Good Receiver, but that is not all we need in a TE.

Darnell Washington or Michael Mayer if we go TE that early for me. Musgrave has the tools but not the production.

Disagree on Bijan, agree on Tyjae.

Bijan is better in blitz pickup than Tyjae from the vids by far, I like what the Senior Bowl staff said about Tyjae though which makes him 
my go to RB in the 2nd to 3rd round with all his skills. Great balance and as you say good hands and his other gear, dude is tough.

Eh, that is a lot of OT's to go in the first. Have seen DaWand Jones falling to the mid to late 2nd with his lack of athleticism and the
fact a lot of giants just don't make it in the NFL. I would take DaWand at 28
and even better trade back if Darnell Wright is gone, but 
hey, just take the guy you like is all I want us to do.

You have some very strong negative opinions on some guys and some optimism on others. Interesting you would reach for Jones.

How many 1st round OT's in the past 5 years drafted pick 28 or worse has become great? It seems each year OT's are drafted a lot in round one, but raerely have any drafted 28 or worse been great out of the gate.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 12:13 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You have some very strong negative opinions on some guys and some optimism on others. Interesting you would reach for Jones.

How many 1st round OT's in the past 5 years drafted pick 28 or worse has become great? It seems each year OT's are drafted a lot in round one, but raerely have any drafted 28 or worse been great out of the gate.

Is it really a reach if the player's consensus ranking is less than 10 spots lower than your pick, especially if you like the player's skill set and feel he will instantly improve your team?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 12:49 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Is it really a reach if the player's consensus ranking is less than 10 spots lower than your pick, especially if you like the player's skill set and feel he will instantly improve your team?

Are you speaking on behalf of the FO, OL coach and ZT or as a fan?

10 spots is a lot in my opinion especially when you get to late round picks.

It may turn out to be a great pick at 28, but I would not bet my house on someone rated 35 on average and 5th or 6th OT taken in a draft to be better than the OT's already on my roster in year 1. I am just saying he may be a bit of project, but I trust the FO to decide on draft picks.

Jonah was a consensus best OL in the draft. He has been good, but never great and did not play year 1. Just one example, the draft to me is a bit of crap shoot after 1st 10 picks or so.
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 01:17 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Are you speaking on behalf of the FO, OL coach and ZT or as a fan?

It may turn out to be a great pick at 28, but I would not bet my house on someone rated 35 on average and 5th or 6th OT taken in a draft to be better than the OT's already on my roster in year 1. I am just saying he may be a bit of project, but I trust the FO to decide on draft picks.

Jonah was a consensus best OL in the draft. He has been good, but never great and did not play year 1. Just one example, the draft to me is a bit of crap shoot after 1st 10 picks or so.

I'm speaking on behalf of having watched many drafts go down in my lifetime.  You see teams move up all the time for players that they don't feel will be available when they pick, though the "consensus" says that player had a great chance of being there, just as you see teams reach back a few "projected" spots to select the player they like but feel won't be there in the next round.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 01:26 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I'm speaking on behalf of having watched many drafts go down in my lifetime.  You see teams move up all the time for players that they don't feel will be available when they pick, though the "consensus" says that player had a great chance of being there, just as you see teams reach back a few "projected" spots to select the player they like but feel won't be there in the next round.

There was definitely a Strange first round pick last year. 
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 02:17 PM)Synric Wrote: There was definitely a Strange first round pick last year. 

Billy B doesn't care about any stinkin' draft projections. LOL
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 02:17 PM)Synric Wrote: There was definitely a Strange first round pick last year. 
Everyone who is worried about all the best TEs getting taken in the 1st round should consider that in last year's draft the 1st TE wasn't taken until the 55th pick of the second round, and only a total of 4 TEs selected in the first 3 rounds.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 12:13 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: You have some very strong negative opinions on some guys and some optimism on others. Interesting you would reach for Jones.

Just if we draft a TE, he better be able to block some, I watched a lot of Kincaid being in the area. Terrible blocker to put it lightly.

Even our WR's block better than him. I have seen him fall down trying to block guys in embarrassing fashion. Good receiver though, but 
even with our WR's, Walters and Zac ask them to block.

DaWand Jones might be the best fit for our OL at RT besides Darnell Wright. Nothing wrong with that at 28 unless he gets beat out by 
Carman, which is why I would rather trade back and select him or Bergeron if Wright is gone. I just don't think Anton Harrison fits what
we are putting together on the OL in terms of physicality in a Power Gap scheme.

A reach is all in the eye of the beholder, if DaWand Jones is picked and holds down the starting RT position for us for the next decade 
and does it well there is no way it is a reach.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 03:20 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Everyone who is worried about all the best TEs getting taken in the 1st round should consider that in last year's draft the 1st TE wasn't taken until the 55th pick of the second round, and only a total of 4 TEs selected in the first 3 rounds.

A good TE should definitely be around at 60, good point Sunset...
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 03:20 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Just if we draft a TE, he better be able to block some, I watched a lot of Kincaid being in the area. Terrible blocker to put it lightly.

Even our WR's block better than him. I have seen him fall down trying to block guys in embarrassing fashion. Good receiver though, but 
even with our WR's, Walters and Zac ask them to block.

DaWand Jones might be the best fit for our OL at RT besides Darnell Wright. Nothing wrong with that at 28 unless he gets beat out by 
Carman, which is why I would rather trade back and select him or Bergeron if Wright is gone. I just don't think Anton Harrison fits what
we are putting together on the OL in terms of physicality in a Power Gap scheme.

A reach is all in the eye of the beholder, if DaWand Jones is picked and holds down the starting RT position for us for the next decade 
and does it well there is no way it is a reach.

Bengals WRs ain't no chumps.  Chase is built like a RB, Higgins is just flat out a big dude, and Boyd is fairly stout for a skill position player.  They seem to rather not mind leaning into some defenders on blocking assignments.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 03:23 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bengals WRs ain't no chumps.  Chase is built like a RB, Higgins is just flat out a big dude, and Boyd is fairly stout for a skill position player.  They seem to rather not mind leaning into some defenders on blocking assignments.

Yes sir, our WR's take pride in blocking. Stanley Morgan is another great blocker and so is Velveeta. Cool
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2023, 01:17 PM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Are you speaking on behalf of the FO, OL coach and ZT or as a fan?

I wish we could find out where Billy Price was on the Bengals' board back when he was drafted at 21st overall.
I always had him pegged more in the 35-45 range.
He sure as hell didn't pan out, so I get what you're saying.

My worries about Dawand Jones (greatly) decline if we knew what kind of running scheme Pollack will try to run this year. It seems to vary every season lol.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I’ll be stoked with Spears in the 3rd. Give me 1. OT 2. TE/Kuntz, Mayer,Kincaid,Kraft, not sold on Musgrave or LaPorta Potty. I’ll check them out some more.
Reply/Quote