Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
Irv Smith a Bengal
I would stay away from OT completely this draft unless Wright falls to us. Late 1sts would be 2nds other years, and 2nds 3rd or 4ths. Let Jonah/Carman/Collins play out this year and hope next year is a deeper class or one if those guys claim the spot with great play.

TE, pass rush, and CB would be where my Day 1-2 picks would go most likely. Cannot be married to it, however.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 02:44 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: To me, I view Irv Smith as more of a receiving TE than a blocker. Due mostly to his lack of size and injury history. IDK if we keep 3 or 4 TEs, but if it is 3 (more likely), I cannot imagine 2 of them being catch heavy & blocking light. For this group, I kind of put Kincaid & LaPorta in that category. And guys like Davis Allen or Mallory later on. If we keep 4, then maybe there is room for another guy of that type.

Now, of course  being able to do BOTH would be preferable. And maybe I'm selling Smith, Kincaid, and LaPorta short. But I think with Smith in the fold, it makes Mayer/Washington types more likely than smaller pass catchers. Unless we think the pass catcher is gonna be REALLY dynamic.

In my research I came away LaPorta is an above average blocker. We drafted a great pass catching TE (Eifert), but quickly learned he was a major liability pass blocking.

The TE class seems deep with players who can both catch and block. I could see us waiting until round 3 to take a TE since we signed Smith.

I think OT will be depleted of can't miss prospects by pick 28. I see us taking a CB or possibly a running back if noone takes a RB before us. I really like Gibbs as a possibility at 28 too.

If not, I love Spears in round 3 if we go TE, CB or OT in round 1.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 02:48 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I would stay away from OT completely this draft unless Wright falls to us. Late 1sts would be 2nds other years, and 2nds 3rd or 4ths. Let Jonah/Carman/Collins play out this year and hope next year is a deeper class or one if those guys claim the spot with great play.

TE, pass rush, and CB would be where my Day 1-2 picks would go most likely. Cannot be married to it, however.

We have missed a chance at 2 possible Super Bowls championships because of the O-line.  Even now the O-line isnt great and you have a big question mark at RT.  I dont understand thinking the top priority needs to be getting a TE with the 1st or 2nd round pick.  Last year when we didnt have a #1 or #2 TE against K.C. we still beat them.  We lost to K.C. when we didnt have the talent on the O-line even though we did have a #1 TE.. 

I do agree with the need to address pass rush with the first couple of picks because even with a close to healthy D-line, we couldnt get to Mahomes and he had all day to make stuff happen.  If we face K.C. again and we will, we need a better pass rush.  Pass rush and O-line should be the top priorities.
Reply/Quote
(03-28-2023, 07:49 AM)bengals67 Wrote: Front office makes another great move while storing money for Joe, Tee and Jamar.

As an original old geezer fan I have to pinch myself to make sure I’m not dreaming about the current team running the club. So different from even the Marvin era much less the 20 years pre Marvin.

Thank you Bengals!

Katie has been on fire. It ain't Mike's team much anymore.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 03:44 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: We have missed a chance at 2 possible Super Bowls championships because of the O-line.  Even now the O-line isnt great and you have a big question mark at RT.  I dont understand thinking the top priority needs to be getting a TE with the 1st or 2nd round pick.  Last year when we didnt have a #1 or #2 TE against K.C. we still beat them.  We lost to K.C. when we didnt have the talent on the O-line even though we did have a #1 TE.. 

I agree with this. But I will also say the run game should be priority 1 for this offense. A good run game in the afc championship and super bowl wouldve given Cincy the win

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 02:48 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I would stay away from OT completely this draft unless Wright falls to us. Late 1sts would be 2nds other years, and 2nds 3rd or 4ths. Let Jonah/Carman/Collins play out this year and hope next year is a deeper class or one if those guys claim the spot with great play.

So pass on what could be elite talent to see if what you currently have works out or not? If Dawand Jones is there at #28 then he would be my selection. Being a huge Buckeyes fan I have been more critical of him than most other linemen but after really going back and watching film you can see the growth in his play from '21 to '22 and then especially from early '22 until the end of '22. Wright is my favorite RT specific player but I would have zero issues with Jones being the selection and plugging him in Day 1 or playing him behind Jonah if Jonah is not traded. For that matter playing him in front of Jonah. I want the team to be better and competition is what creates that. I want to see Carman succeed but I also would not pass on someone that has the potential to be a very dominant RT.
Reply/Quote
I hope (and think) one of these 4 is available and is the choice

OT - Darnell Wright
OT - Dawand Jones
TE - Michael Mayer
TE - Dalton Kincaid
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 05:02 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: I agree with this. But I will also say the run game should be priority 1 for this offense. A good run game in the afc championship and super bowl wouldve given Cincy the win

I think the struggles with the running game go right back to having a not so great offensive line.  When Mixon had holes like the Carolina game or the Bills game we saw what he can do.  Ive been on the cut Mixon bandwagon because I believe he costs too much for what he brings but I do think he is still a good RB and would put up far better numbers with a better O-line.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 06:24 PM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: I hope (and think) one of these 4 is available and is the choice

OT - Darnell Wright
OT - Dawand Jones
TE - Michael Mayer
TE - Dalton Kincaid

Darnell Wright
Dawand Jones
Darnell Washington
Deonte Banks
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 07:04 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: I think the struggles with the running game go right back to having a not so great offensive line.  

Mixon deserves blame too but I agree

but popular consensus is that "the o-line is good enough" and "we need a TE"

most fans just arent getting it. The run game has been the weak spot 2 years in a row now

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote

I'm not seeing any mock drafts where Wright falls all the way to 28.  Mike Tannenbaum has him going 14th. In fact, he has 5 OT going before the Bengals' pick. I tend to agree with you, that I would stay away from OT unless Wright falls that far, or the Bengals package picks to move up.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/story/_/id/35931704/2023-nfl-mock-draft-mike-tannenbaum-gm-first-round-picks-five-quarterbacks
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 06:24 PM)Memphis_Bengal Wrote: I hope (and think) one of these 4 is available and is the choice

OT - Darnell Wright
OT - Dawand Jones
TE - Michael Mayer
TE - Dalton Kincaid

Odds are strong these four will be gone by the time of the Bengal's pick. 
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 07:34 PM)Nepa Wrote: I'm not seeing any mock drafts where Wright falls all the way to 28.  Mike Tannenbaum has him going 14th. In fact, he has 5 OT going before the Bengals' pick. I tend to agree with you, that I would stay away from OT unless Wright falls that far, or the Bengals package picks to move up.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2023/story/_/id/35931704/2023-nfl-mock-draft-mike-tannenbaum-gm-first-round-picks-five-quarterbacks

Passing on Dawand Jones at 28 would be sort of silly.
Reply/Quote

OT - Darnell Wright
OT - Dawand Jones
TE - Michael Mayer
TE - Dalton Kincaid

I wouldn't mind Bijan Robinson either. I don't think he makes it either, but I've seen him drop to us in a couple of mock drafts. I feel like there's quite a few players we could snag in the first round that could be an instant starter./contributor
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 03:44 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: We have missed a chance at 2 possible Super Bowls championships because of the O-line.  Even now the O-line isnt great and you have a big question mark at RT.  I dont understand thinking the top priority needs to be getting a TE with the 1st or 2nd round pick.  Last year when we didnt have a #1 or #2 TE against K.C. we still beat them.  We lost to K.C. when we didnt have the talent on the O-line even though we did have a #1 TE.. 

I do agree with the need to address pass rush with the first couple of picks because even with a close to healthy D-line, we couldnt get to Mahomes and he had all day to make stuff happen.  If we face K.C. again and we will, we need a better pass rush.  Pass rush and O-line should be the top priorities.

I don't consider RT to be a question mark. We have SEVEN OTs on the roster. I feel fairly confident that a healthy Williams, Carman, or a healthy Collins (later in the year) can give us acceptable or better RT play. Jonah will play RT. What's he gonna do, sit out? Tank? No chance. Once you get past Wright, the chances that a rookie is gonna be better than Jonah in year 1 are VERY slim. Hell, I think landing one better than Carman/Collins are slim. 

Trading Jonah for peanuts and reaching for a tackle early is how you weaken RT this year AND miss an opportunity to improve the team elsewhere. TE, EDGE, and CB have deep classes. Get a stud there or at another spot. Let's not go all Billy Price. 

The FO did not want to trade him. Unless we get a haul (which we won't), he's going nowhere. Plug & plays will be gone by #28 and the next tier (who likely won't help this year) gone by #60. 
Reply/Quote

OT - Darnell Wright
OT - Dawand Jones
TE - Michael Mayer
TE - Dalton Kincaid

Is Kincaid a good blocker?

I've read several places that he is a receiving threat but that he struggles in both pass protection and run blocking. I've not seen any of his games, so just curious if anyone else has seen him and can rate him as a blocker.

Don't really want a one dimensional tight end.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 07:56 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: I wouldn't mind Bijan Robinson either. I don't think he makes it either, but I've seen him drop to us in a couple of mock drafts. I feel like there's quite a few players we could snag in the first round that could be an instant starter./contributor

No thank you. He is a liability in blitz pickup and will struggle running between the tackles on a regular basis. Give me Tyjae Spears in the 3rd. He can run inside or outside, he has really good hands, has another gear when he gets in the open field, and the Senior Bowl staff said he stood out in blitz pickup drills.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 07:45 PM)OSUfan Wrote: Passing on Dawand Jones at 28 would be sort of silly.

In the link that I posted, Mike Tannenbaum has Daward Jones going 15th.  I think the odds are not great that a top OT will slide as far as the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 08:08 PM)Isaac Curtis: The Real #85 Wrote: I don't consider RT to be a question mark. We have SEVEN OTs on the roster. I feel fairly confident that a healthy Williams, Carman, or a healthy Collins (later in the year) can give us acceptable or better RT play. Jonah will play RT. What's he gonna do, sit out? Tank? No chance. Once you get past Wright, the chances that a rookie is gonna be better than Jonah in year 1 are VERY slim. Hell, I think landing one better than Carman/Collins are slim. 

Trading Jonah for peanuts and reaching for a tackle early is how you weaken RT this year AND miss an opportunity to improve the team elsewhere. TE, EDGE, and CB have deep classes. Get a stud there or at another spot. Let's not go all Billy Price. 

The FO did not want to trade him. Unless we get a haul (which we won't), he's going nowhere. Plug & plays will be gone by #28 and the next tier (who likely won't help this year) gone by #60. 

I am tired of the O line being a liability for this team and acceptable play is not the ceiling I would prefer to see. So you pass on a RT this year when you have Jonah rented for 1 year. Let's look at the 7 OTs:

Orlando Brown Jr. - non factor is playing LT
Jonah Williams - rented for this season
Jackson Carman - RT possibility
Hakeen Adeniji - depth not starting material
D'ante Smith - nope
Devin Cochran - don't think so
La'el Collins - is not going to be ready for the season and is a prime target for cap cut and injury settlement. Did not play great when he was healthy.
Cody Ford - listed at OG but rumor is he will get to compete for RT.

Darnell Wright not Dawand Jones are a reach with the 28th selection and the gap between Wright and Jones is a slim one and yes I believe either of them could be as good or better than Jonah at RT as a rookie. Worst case is you have your RT for '24 with a year under their belt and you still have Carman as the 6th man to play either OT or OG spots in an emergency.

I believe you are being a bit dramatic with your draft assessment by stating that players outside of the top 60 selections are not going to help a team in their first year. I believe there is plenty of data that would prove that theory to be inaccurate. The fearmongering reference to Billy Price was hysterical though.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2023, 07:34 PM)Nepa Wrote: I'm not seeing any mock drafts where Wright falls all the way to 28.  Mike Tannenbaum has him going 14th. In fact, he has 5 OT going before the Bengals' pick. I tend to agree with you, that I would stay away from OT unless Wright falls that far, or the Bengals package picks to move up.

There are a couple. Daniel Jeremiah and Reuter at NFL com both have us taking Wright. 

I looked at 17 posted in the last 10 days. 

8 have us taking TEs. 3 Mayer (Davis, NFL.com; Wilson CBS Sports; Edwards, CBS Sports). 3 Kincaid (Hanlon, Sports Illustrated; Prisco, CBS Sports; Brooks, NFL.com). 2 Washington (Kiper, ESPN; Garrett, Pro Football Network). 

4 have us taking OTs. 2 Wright (Jeremiah & Reuter at NFL.com). 2 D. Jones (Reid, ESPN; McDonald, Yahoo!). 

2 have us taking CB Forbes (Tannebaum, ESPN; 33rd Team). 

1 has us taking Kancey (Kruse, Touchdownwire). 

1 has DE Murphy falling to us at 28 (bloody unlikely) (Trapasso, CBS Sports). 

And one idiotic one has us taking WR Josh Downs with JSN available (Brinson, CBS).

But none of these guys have much real Bengals info. They see the hole at TE and Jonah's trade request. 
Reply/Quote