Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Boyd's Bengal's future in jeopardy?
Tyler Boyd is paid a lot more than Higgins and Chase because they are on rookie deals and Boyd his second contract.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/tyler-boyd-19004/

He has an over 10 million dollar cap hit in 2022 with 2.4 million in dead money if we trade him this year. In 2023 he has an over 9 million dollar cap hit with only 1.4 million in dead money. We need to pay Higgins very soon.

Is now a good time to trade Tyler Bpyd and get some value, then draft his replacement? He is one of the better slot receivers in the league (a lot like Woods who Rams just traded) in my opinion.

I like him, but I see no way we can keep him once Higgin's is due his second contract.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
With Higgins coming off surgery, I think Boyd is safe this year.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Currently, He's a #3 WR with the talent of a #2 (maybe a #1 for a team desperate for WR's). I would like to keep him if we could because we have the best WR trio in the NFL. Can we afford too? Well, a lot would depend on what Higgins agent is asking for when the time comes. Hopefully we find a way to keep all 3. Seriously, we trade him and then have a injury to either Higgins or chase, we are in trouble.

Reply/Quote
Woods was traded for a 6th. If they can get better then it’s a good deal, but he had good production with no one waiting to take his spot. They would need to draft his replacement this year and early most likely.
Reply/Quote
It's not a popular idea around here, but I agree that the Bengals should be at least entertaining the notion of getting some value from a potential Tyler Boyd trade. If they like him well enough to keep him here for a 3rd contract, then they likely need to be thinking about drafting Tee Higgins eventual replacement.

Truth of the matter is that when you have a top franchise QB on your team, you simply cannot afford to pay top dollar to multiple receivers as well, as evidenced with what the Packers just went through with signing Rodgers to the big deal and losing Adams and Valdez-Scantling.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
The Bengals are right in the middle of their Super Bowl contending window. No way am I taking away weapons from Burrow. If anything, I'm trying to add depth to those positions in case someone goes down.

Next year becomes a more likely scenario.
Reply/Quote
I can't see him being cut or traded this season as he is too valuable for depth. Next year though can be a different story, as I won't be too surprised if they try to draft his replacement this upcoming draft.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V

Reply/Quote
I had this thought BEFORE Fa started, mixon included. Whatever it took to get the OL fixed. The bengals did a great job, and have afforded themselves the ability to keep all 3 for another season or two.

There are currently 8-9 Wide receivers that currently make more than Boyd, Higgins and Chase combined.

Because Higgins and chase are on the rookie deals they can afford boyd. I’m not sure Higgins and chase will be able to both here long term, I hope I’m wrong.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 09:26 AM)Gdale_Bengal Wrote: Woods was traded for a 6th. If they can get better then it’s a good deal, but he had good production with no one waiting to take his spot. They would need to draft his replacement this year and early most likely.

Woods was traded for a 6th, but he is coming off major injury also. I think Boyd could fetch a 3rd or 4th, if not we should try and keep him in my opinion. But, it is not an issue in 2022, but thinking ahead, we need to draft his replacement in rounds 2 or 3 to be ready for the Higgins contract in 2023.

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 09:44 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Woods was traded for a 6th, but he is coming off major injury also. I think Boyd could fetch a 3rd or 4th, if not we should try and keep him in my opinion. But, it is not an issue in 2022, but thinking ahead, we need to draft his replacement in rounds 2 or 3 to be ready for the Higgins contract in 2023.

Amari Cooper was just traded for a 5th, the WR trade market is pretty crap right now. Boyd wouldn't fetch much of anything at this point mainly because the draft has been producing guys at such high levels. To move on at this point is foolish because we don't have any capable WR's on the roster after the top 3, so to give up one of those 3 would mean we don't even have what we need for starters let along depth. We will draft a WR, or two, in the mid rounds in preparation for a divorce with Boyd next year is my guess.

If we are talking about expendable bigger contracts, Mixon is the contract that should be gotten out of. Nothing against Joe but HB's are essentially interchangeable and having large sums of money tied up in them continues to be a fool's errand.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 09:52 AM)Au165 Wrote: Amari Cooper was just traded for a 5th, the WR trade market is pretty crap right now. Boyd wouldn't fetch much of anything at this point mainly because the draft has been producing guys at such high levels. To move on at this point is foolish because we don't have any capable WR's on the roster after the top 3, so to give up one of those 3 would mean we don't even have what we need for starters let along depth. We will draft a WR, or two, in the mid rounds in preparation for a divorce with Boyd next year is my guess.

If we are talking about expendable bigger contracts, Mixon is the contract that should be gotten out of. Nothing against Joe but HB's are essentially interchangeable and having large sums of money tied up in them continues to be a fool's errand.

Cooper's huge contract is why he was less valuable in a trade.

Reply/Quote
I don't think the Bengals are looking to trade away any of their talented players this moment. They like the team that took them to the Super Bowl and have sought to improve the roster (3 OL FA signings). Maybe after the '22 - '23 season Duke and the gang will take a different approach to the roster, but for now I think it is roll with what we have and see if Burrow and the boys can win it all. TB is with us for the upcoming season.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 09:44 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Woods was traded for a 6th, but he is coming off major injury also. I think Boyd could fetch a 3rd or 4th, if not we should try and keep him in my opinion. But, it is not an issue in 2022, but thinking ahead, we need to draft his replacement in rounds 2 or 3 to be ready for the Higgins contract in 2023.

Let me ask this.

Would a team trade a 3-4 for boyd or just go pick up cole Beasley? Boyd is better than Beasley IMO, but I’m not sure how much better.

Last two years
Beasley- 164-1660-5
Boyd- 146-1669-9

If we were able to trade boyd for a 3rd, I’d have someone like coke Beasley on line 1. This only helps for 2022 maybe 2023, but I think other teams would have a similar line of thinking.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 10:03 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Let me ask this.

Would a team trade a 3-4 for boyd or just go pick up cole Beasley?  Boyd is better than Beasley IMO, but I’m not sure how much better.

Last two years
Beasley- 164-1660-5
Boyd- 146-1669-9

If we were able to trade boyd for a 3rd, I’d have someone like coke Beasley on line 1.  This only helps for 2022 maybe 2023, but I think other teams would have a similar line of thinking.

Boyd would be able to fetch a 3rd-4th. There is only one Cole Beasley, and he will be 33 soon. I'm not sure a team would pick a 33 year old Cole Beasley over a 27 year old Boyd due to a 3rd or 4th round draft pick. 
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 09:35 AM)Millhouse Wrote: I can't see him being cut or traded this season as he is too valuable for depth. Next year though can be a different story, as I won't be too surprised if they try to draft his replacement this upcoming draft.

Agree

But I wouldn't surprised at all to see them make a move next season.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 09:20 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Tyler Boyd is paid a lot more than Higgins and Chase because they are on rookie deals and Boyd his second contract.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/tyler-boyd-19004/

He has an over 10 million dollar cap hit in 2022 with 2.4 million in dead money if we trade him this year. In 2023 he has an over 9 million dollar cap hit with only 1.4 million in dead money. We need to pay Higgins very soon.

Is now a good time to trade Tyler Bpyd and get some value, then draft his replacement? He is one of the better slot receivers in the league (a lot like Woods who Rams just traded) in my opinion.

I like him, but I see no way we can keep him once Higgin's is due his second contract.

I was in the camp of "ok with moving on from Boyd if cap was needed elsewhere," but the Bengals still have $18 mill in cap to work with.
Bengals haven't upgraded some of their depth, and they could still arguably use another starter at OG to compete with Carman, but they'll still have plenty even if they do those things.

I get the feeling they'll draft first then look to add veteran depth after based on how the draft goes.

So I'm ok with keeping Boyd another year and possibly moving on next year based on how this year goes.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
I'd rather have Boyd and lose him as a FA than a fifth round pick this year
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 09:52 AM)Au165 Wrote: Amari Cooper was just traded for a 5th, the WR trade market is pretty crap right now. Boyd wouldn't fetch much of anything at this point mainly because the draft has been producing guys at such high levels. To move on at this point is foolish because we don't have any capable WR's on the roster after the top 3, so to give up one of those 3 would mean we don't even have what we need for starters let along depth. We will draft a WR, or two, in the mid rounds in preparation for a divorce with Boyd next year is my guess.

Agree

With hopefully a much improved Oline and hence better passing game you don't need a high dollar bell cow back.
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2022, 10:00 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: Cooper's huge contract is why he was less valuable in a trade.

Sure, but he is also a far better player. Boyd isn't cheap and isn't as good (not saying he is bad) so I think you are looking somewhere similar compensation wise. The draft classes have simply been too good at WR to get value for vet WR's anymore outside of a small group.
Reply/Quote
At $10 million, Boyd's contract is a value. IF he were a free agent right now, he'd probably get $15 million a year.

Might not be a bad guy to draft a WR in the next 2 drafts anyways...because I see no way we can afford Higgins and Chase once they're both free agents. My guess is that Higgins will be the 1st to go.

We could be looking at Burrow making $50-55 million a year and Chase making $25-30 million a year. That's going to be REALLY hard to build a team around that is balanced.
Reply/Quote