Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Boyd's Bengal's future in jeopardy?
(04-06-2022, 11:19 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I suggested it was option. This is a Bengal's message board so all fans opinions all equal. For the record, I am enjoying the journey. You say make no changes which is fine, I say what would 8 million in cap money in 2022 and 9 million in cap money get us with other pieces of the puzzle? It is not just about draft picks, it is about improving the team. Beasley is an example of a guy with similar production, but will be much less expensive to sign giving us the ability to add other pieces as well.

The forum is about discussion, in the future please don't try and shut down threads with the bolded above, a cheap shot at another fan does not promote discussion.

Opinions are rarely ever equal. :noninja:

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2022, 11:19 AM)Luvnit2 Wrote: I suggested it was option. This is a Bengal's message board so all fans opinions all equal. For the record, I am enjoying the journey. You say make no changes which is fine, I say what would 8 million in cap money in 2022 and 9 million in cap money get us with other pieces of the puzzle? It is not just about draft picks, it is about improving the team. Beasley is an example of a guy with similar production, but will be much less expensive to sign giving us the ability to add other pieces as well.

The forum is about discussion, in the future please don't try and shut down threads with the bolded above, a cheap shot at another fan does not promote discussion.

Right.  Sorry if I came off as condescending or pissy or whatever.  Not my intent.  It's a football forum where people can discuss future developments/moves/strategies and all of that.  My overriding point was more along the point that last year's team accomplished what they did in no small part due to the chemistry between the QB and starting trio of WRs.  Think of my point of view along the lines of a Seattle fan who would defend a prime Legion of Boom or a Vikings fan who wanted to heap praise on the Purple People Eaters as a unit.
Reply/Quote
I would guess until a Super Bowl is won, the WR may work together some to structure deals to keep them all here. Once a Super Bowl is won, then Id say 1 or 2 of them go get their $$$$$.
Reply/Quote
You don't trade a guy during your super bowl window unless you have his replacement on the roster. We sure as hell don't have that right now.

I wouldn't be shocked to see a WR in the top 3 rounds. After the top 3, we have nothing.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2022, 10:11 PM)Ell Prez Wrote: At these crazy WR prices, doesn’t it make sense to keep Boyd? $10M/year is cheap.

Chase is going to get $30M when it’s his turn. Higgins will get 25M. I don’t see the Bengals paying both. Just like they let TJ Housh walk and kept Ocho. I think it will be Chase + rookie wr. Sad because I like Higgins.

You know they can get creative to where they aren't paying Higgins and Chase big money at the same time... Higgins will be up first, get his, then it's Chase's turn. They could work it to where it really only overlaps for like a year.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
You have to think a minimum of 50 million for both Higgins and Chase even before talking about SuperJoe.. Maybe they should sell PBS and play the rest of their games in GABP's outfield.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 07:33 PM)grampahol Wrote: You have to think a minimum of 50 million for both Higgins and Chase even before talking about SuperJoe.. Maybe they should sell PBS and play the rest of their games in GABP's outfield.. 

By the time they sign, chase could be 40M(4 years from now) and Higgins could be 20M (2 years from now)
Reply/Quote
I could easily see Chase being the top paid WR in the league when it’s his time. Tee getting close to 20 mil per wouldn't surprise me either
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Whoever thought football players would be among the richest people in town? I'm kind of surprised you don't hear about their kids getting kidnapped for ransoms.. If I were the criminal type.... Nervous
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
It’s a wash We can’t keep everyone. It’ll be hard enough keeping Burrow and Chase.
Reply/Quote
Yes it is. The goal should be keeping, in order, Burrow, Chase, and (if by some miracle) Higgins. Boyd is our dude at the slot for the next year or two but time to start looking at his replacement in the next two drafts. Same with Mixon. Next years draft we might be looking at his replacement or, if Evans is the guy, a depth piece/spell back.

I felt this way about Boyd and Mixon before this crazy offseason, now I'm beginning to lose hope about keeping Higgins too.
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 10:30 PM)Housh Wrote: I could easily see Chase being the top paid WR in the league when it’s his time. Tee getting close to 20 mil per wouldn't surprise me either

There's a very realistic scenario Tee and Chase our both top 5 WRs in a year or two and Tee will want that WR1 money and the pride of being the main guy. If Kirk got that kinda money, imagine what Tee will command!
Reply/Quote
(04-08-2022, 06:15 PM)jason Wrote: You know they can get creative to where they aren't paying Higgins and Chase big money at the same time... Higgins will be up first, get his, then it's Chase's turn. They could work it to where it really only overlaps for like a year.

And then what? So you’re saying Higgins is extended until Chase’s rookie deal is up, in 4 years. And then 1 year of overlap. So In 5 years we let a 28 year old Higgins walk? That still sucks. And I don’t think Chase will want to play out his whole rookie contract. I think he’ll want to be extended sooner.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2022, 08:42 PM)NotBigzo Wrote: It’s a wash We can’t keep everyone. It’ll be hard enough keeping Burrow and Chase.

Indeed. It's why it's so critical to go all in as soon as we can, as we won't have the luxury of Burrow's rookie contract for long.

The team have largely been going big this offseason and hopefully we'll swing for the fences in the draft too. Give the team all it can get to compete this coming year. 

Every team with a good QB has this issue, so we aren't alone. The plus side is, you'd hope Burrow can make it work with most guys playing at WR, so when the inevitable happens and we lose Boyd or whatever, Burrow can make some no-name WR look good. 

I think it's obvious Joe will take whatever money he can get, but I also think he's a solid enough guy to try and help the team with his contract. Brady did a lot of work helping the Pats with their cap and I think Joe will do some things to help the Bengals too. 

On the topic raised, I think it's clear that of the big paid WRs, it'll be Boyd going. I like him, but the team will clearly prioritise Higgins and Chase, which would be the correct call as well. 
Reply/Quote
I've been against trading Boyd, but the big news today is NYJ are willing to part with one of their first round picks for a quality vet. Of course the talk centers around Metcalf and Deebo, but most say their #10 won't get it done.

So if NYJ offer #10 would you take it
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 04:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've been against trading Boyd, but the big news today is NYJ are willing to part with one of their first round picks for a quality vet. Of course the talk centers around Metcalf and Deebo, but most say their #10 won't get it done.

Yes but not sure why NYJ would do that deal for Boyd.  They could find a similar if not better rookie out of this draft imo at #10
[Image: 1500x500]
Reply/Quote
(04-27-2022, 04:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I've been against trading Boyd, but the big news today is NYJ are willing to part with one of their first round picks for a quality vet. Of course the talk centers around Metcalf and Deebo, but most say their #10 won't get it done.

I’m generally against trading Boyd but for #10 yeah I’d do that in a heartbeat. Not sure why they would. I’d even trade him for their 2 second rounders.

For pick 10 I’d even consider Higgins at that point. We only have him under contract for 2 more years and will be tough to re-sign him. Could draft his replacement at 10 and have 5 years control. Not the easiest move to swallow for a contending team but would have to consider it. If they offered pick 4 you do that in a heartbeat and can then trade down to 8-12 and still get his replacement plus a bunch more.
Reply/Quote