Thread Rating:
  • 5 Vote(s) - 1.8 Average
Is Bud Light Right And I'm Wrong?
(05-08-2023, 12:13 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Well, a person could do what you suggest and listen to the BS or he can order a Miller Lite and not have to deal with it at all.

[Image: MC_4353_X_ML_Pride_DRF2_LEDSign_KT_FINAL-01_0.jpg]

https://www.millerlite.com/open-proud
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-08-2023, 12:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: [Image: MC_4353_X_ML_Pride_DRF2_LEDSign_KT_FINAL-01_0.jpg]

Yeah, I was about to say. Miller Lite is a regular sponsor of pride events.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-08-2023, 12:20 PM)Nately120 Wrote: [Image: MC_4353_X_ML_Pride_DRF2_LEDSign_KT_FINAL-01_0.jpg]

Highly unlikely to get heckled for Miller Lite since they are not the talk of the town at the moment. 

(05-08-2023, 12:25 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: Highly unlikely to get heckled for Miller Lite since they are not the talk of the town at the moment. 

Right, because it's just about current noise and not about actual convictions or ideas or beliefs.  It ain't about facts, it's about feelings.  No one remembers or cares about Miller Lite being woke because another beer company is more woke and in the spotlight at the current moment.  Even DeSantis stupidly promoted and supported the LGBTQ+ positive brand of Guinness in an attempt to say he doesn't and wouldn't drink Bud Light.

I don't drink woke beer, I much prefer woke beer, and frankly I'd rather just order a woke beer than order a woke beer and get hell from the boys for doing so.
(05-08-2023, 01:32 AM)guyofthetiger Wrote: You've probably heard that women all look good after 10 beers. lol When a company gets involved in politics, there are consequences.

Well you need about 20 Bud Lights to get drunk. It's a shit beer. I don't see how putting some tik tok person's face on a can and giving it to them is getting involved in politics, but I'm in that camp that doesn't worry about things that don't affect me. If that internet sensation wants to be a woman; go ahead. If a bunch of people wanna switch their beer of choice; then go ahead too.

To the op... It's at least a tad bigoted.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
(05-08-2023, 12:23 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, I was about to say. Miller Lite is a regular sponsor of pride events.

(05-08-2023, 12:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Right, because it's just about current noise and not about actual convictions or ideas or beliefs.  It ain't about facts, it's about feelings.  No one remembers or cares about Miller Lite being woke because another beer company is more woke and in the spotlight at the current moment.  Even DeSantis stupidly promoted and supported the LGBTQ+ positive brand of Guinness in an attempt to say he doesn't and wouldn't drink Bud Light.

I don't drink woke beer, I much prefer woke beer, and frankly I'd rather just order a woke beer than order a woke beer and get hell from the boys for doing so.

I think you're both conflating the boycott against Bud Light as being anti-homosexual.  While I'm sure there are some boycotting who fall into that category I don't think the boycott at large is motivated by that at all.  I have, as I have stated in the past, many gay friends, a gay little brother and my favorite uncle is gay.  You may be surprised as to how many of them have similar issues with the Trans rights movement that some straight people do.  There's currently a rather large schism in the LGBT community on this issue and it's only growing.
(05-08-2023, 12:41 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I think you're both conflating the boycott against Bud Light as being anti-homosexual.  While I'm sure there are some boycotting who fall into that category I don't think the boycott at large is motivated by that at all.  I have, as I have stated in the past, many gay friends, a gay little brother and my favorite uncle is gay.  You may be surprised as to how many of them have similar issues with the Trans rights movement that some straight people do.  There's currently a rather large schism in the LGBT community on this issue and it's only growing.

I'm talking about the scattered nature of the anti-woke agenda, really.  I don't think drinking a pro-gay beer is likely an acceptable alternative to bud light for people who are up in arms about bud light.

And yea, I get the trans thing and people's misgivings have merit, but it's also easy to see it getting lost in a real "what is it this time?" bit of fluff.  People can have issues with trans in sports, and children transitioning, but I don't see how making a concerted effort to boycott a company that paired with a trans person who to my knowledge is not competing in women's sports and is not a minor has to do with that.

Now maybe this person is using this fame to preach about kids transitioning and/or trans women in women's sports, I honestly don't know.  I see that people are trying to open my eyes to the idea that there is bi-partisan misgivings about trans people, but my point is that the dude bros at a bar who will ride your ass for drinking bud light probably wouldn't recommend drinking a "shove that gayness down my throat" beer as an alternative.

If trans people are a bi-partisan wedge issue, so be it.  I'm just talking about marketing here, and I'd argue that stuff like this is more of a distraction than anything.  But we need our distractions, I say as I argue on the internet. 
(05-08-2023, 12:41 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I think you're both conflating the boycott against Bud Light as being anti-homosexual.  While I'm sure there are some boycotting who fall into that category I don't think the boycott at large is motivated by that at all.  I have, as I have stated in the past, many gay friends, a gay little brother and my favorite uncle is gay.  You may be surprised as to how many of them have similar issues with the Trans rights movement that some straight people do.  There's currently a rather large schism in the LGBT community on this issue and it's only growing.

I mean, the pride events I have been at where Miller was a sponsor all included the T in LGBT to a great extent. Pride tends to be for the whole community.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR

There have always been tensions among the various groups in the LGBTQ community.  This is nothing new.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

(05-08-2023, 12:49 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'm talking about the scattered nature of the anti-woke agenda, really.  I don't think drinking a pro-gay beer is likely an acceptable alternative to bud light for people who are up in arms about bud light.

And yea, I get the trans thing and people's misgivings have merit, but it's also easy to see it getting lost in a real "what is it this time?" bit of fluff.  People can have issues with trans in sports, and children transitioning, but I don't see how making a concerted effort to boycott a company that paired with a trans person who to my knowledge is not competing in women's sports and is not a minor has to do with that.

Now maybe this person is using this fame to preach about kids transitioning and/or trans women in women's sports, I honestly don't know.  I see that people are trying to open my eyes to the idea that there is bi-partisan misgivings about trans people, but my point is that the dude bros at a bar who will ride your ass for drinking bud light probably wouldn't recommend drinking a "shove that gayness down my throat" beer as an alternative.

Likely true, but there will always be people like that.  Just as there are far left people who will castigate you for playing Hogwarts Legacy.

Quote:If trans people are a bi-partisan wedge issue, so be it.  I'm just talking about marketing here, and I'd argue that stuff like this is more of a distraction than anything.  But we need our distractions, I say as I argue on the internet. 

From a marketing perspective it's utterly stupid, which I believe you've already stated.  Why inject a polarizing topic into a brand that is apolitical?  And if they did have a political leaning their previous ads would have indicated a right wing lean.  Whatever marketing head signed off on it should be fired for being terrible at their job, and that's it.

(05-08-2023, 12:52 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I mean, the pride events I have been at where Miller was a sponsor all included the T in LGBT to a great extent. Pride tends to be for the whole community.

One can be absolutely accepting of adult transsexuals living their lives and take issue with some aspects of the trans rights agenda.  It's not a binary choice.
(05-08-2023, 01:03 PM)pally Wrote: There have always been tensions among the various groups in the LGBTQ community.  This is nothing new.

Indeed.  I don't think to the level we're currently seeing though.  But I concede I'm just a straight person with a larger window to view the community through than most.  I definitely don't live in it.
(05-08-2023, 01:04 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: From a marketing perspective it's utterly stupid, which I believe you've already stated.  Why inject a polarizing topic into a brand that is apolitical?  And if they did have a political leaning their previous ads would have indicated a right wing lean.  Whatever marketing head signed off on it should be fired for being terrible at their job, and that's it.

Yeah, it's bad marketing but so was New Coke so meh...life goes on.  If anything, stuff like this just shows how giant corporations having all these secret "bet you didn't even know we also owned this" stuff is the real secret to avoiding boycott blowback.

I can't even imagine how many trucks out there are currently rocking some sort of "screw Disney" or "screw woke" bumper sticker but also have a Punisher decal on the back window.  We've let the ultra rich completely neuter our ability to fight back with our dollar. 
(05-08-2023, 01:04 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Likely true, but there will always be people like that.  Just as there are far left people who will castigate you for playing Hogwarts Legacy.

From a marketing perspective it's utterly stupid, which I believe you've already stated.  Why inject a polarizing topic into a brand that is apolitical?  And if they did have a political leaning their previous ads would have indicated a right wing lean.  Whatever marketing head signed off on it should be fired for being terrible at their job, and that's it.

One can be absolutely accepting of adult transsexuals living their lives and take issue with some aspects of the trans rights agenda.  It's not a binary choice.

Not surprisingly, I think she was. Link
(05-08-2023, 01:06 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Indeed.  I don't think to the level we're currently seeing though.  But I concede I'm just a straight person with a larger window to view the community through than most.  I definitely don't live in it.

Only 2 topics have ever united them…AIDS and same sex marriage.

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

I didn't realize personal windows spoke for the entire community.

If that's the case, you're making shit up because my gay friends have zero issues with my bi, trans, lesbian, or any other group including in the + friends.
(05-08-2023, 01:08 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Yeah, it's bad marketing but so was New Coke so meh...life goes on.  If anything, stuff like this just shows how giant corporations having all these secret "bet you didn't even know we also owned this" stuff is the real secret to avoiding boycott blowback.

I can't even imagine how many trucks out there are currently rocking some sort of "screw Disney" or "screw woke" bumper sticker but also have a Punisher decal on the back window.  We've let the ultra rich completely neuter our ability to fight back with our dollar. 

It's an interesting time for corporations. There seems to be more at play than actually making money.  Disney keeps making horrible movies and people tell them why they don't like them, yet to continue to churn out the same stuff.  It's rather odd.

(05-08-2023, 01:10 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: Not surprisingly, I think she was. Link

Last I heard she was on a "leave of absence."

(05-08-2023, 02:16 PM)pally Wrote: Only 2 topics have ever united them…AIDS and same sex marriage.

Of course, they're no more a homogenous group than any other.  This feels different though.  The heated level of the discourse seems rather unique.
(05-08-2023, 04:54 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I didn't realize personal windows spoke for the entire community.

It doesn't hence the statement.

Quote:If that's the case, you're making shit up because my gay friends have zero issues with my bi, trans, lesbian, or any other group including in the + friends.

Ahh, I see.  Your personal experience is different, therefore I must be lying.  I didn't realize your personal experience spoke for the entire community.
(05-08-2023, 05:03 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: It doesn't hence the statement.

Ahh, I see.  Your personal experience is different, therefore I must be lying.  I didn't realize your personal experience spoke for the entire community.

So you didn't say

Quote:There's currently a rather large schism in the LGBT community on this issue and it's only growing.

After saying

Quote:I have, as I have stated in the past, many gay friends, a gay little brother and my favorite uncle is gay. You may be surprised as to how many of them have similar issues with the Trans rights movement

Which is weird because it's all right there in black and white with your name attached to it. Hell it's even quoted in my previous comment incase you try and backtrack it.
(05-08-2023, 06:08 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: So you didn't say

After saying

Quote:I have, as I have stated in the past, many gay friends, a gay little brother and my favorite uncle is gay. You may be surprised as to how many of them have similar issues with the Trans rights movement
I don't think you're making the point you think you're making, regardless of font size. 
(05-08-2023, 06:09 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I don't think you're making the point you think you're making, regardless of font size. 

Yeah copy and pasting on mobile is weird. Not sure why it jacked up the size.

Anyways, my point (as clearly as I can make it) is your post reads as though your favorite uncle's attitude speaks for the entire LGBTQ community, as if there aren't plenty of other slugs for salt voters out there. I can assure you that nobody's narrow window of the community - whether their active in it or not - speaks for the whole community.

As someone who hates broad strokes against LEOs, I'd think you would be less inclined to use them.