Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Burrow Rushing Back
(05-13-2021, 02:26 PM)TJ528 Wrote: Muskie, I'm right in the middle with you.  You have your optimist, pessimist and realist.  I truly believe we'd sit in the "realist" section. 

I have no problem telling you the 3 areas I see going into this season as major issues because they are issues until they're proven not to be an issue.  

I've been bitched for having a negative attitude and that I'm not a fan of the team but as I say opinions are like assholes everyone's got one.  

If you don't like mine, don't read my post.  

Yeah, I have always been in the optimist section until shit hits the fan once again lmao!

Just the way I have to be until it does. I have no fun talking football if I have no hope.

You are a Bengal fan same as me, we are on the same team.

BTW, the further saying makes that quote even better, "opinions are like assholes everyone's got one and they all stink."

(05-13-2021, 02:32 PM)TJ528 Wrote: Nate if you see my post following that i truly think Pollack is a hell of a coach. 

I think our 1st string offensive line is going to be MUCH improved this year because of him. 

Turner was a shitty hire as we all said at the time he was hired.  

My problem is the depth.  Until our depth shows improvement we're in trouble.

This line will have injuries this year.  Almost every OL has some sort of injuries.  How do we handle those. 

Does our 2nd and 3rd string step up...I dont think the OL is good past the starting 5. 

We will see, I really like Adeniji, D'Ante Smith and think Trey Hill was a major steal. 

Price and Jordan suck though until they prove otherwise and I am not holding my breath with those 2.
Reply/Quote
BTW, bringing the thread back on track. Burrow was looking great in the vids Holic provided in another thread.

Stepping back, and just launching balls. Think his arm will be stronger this year. I just hope he hasn't lost his elusiveness
as this is one of my favorite traits of his.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 02:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Negative Nancy is an old term and I don't mind being called a Homer, I have thicker skin than that.

I edited my post anyways. We all get along around here for the most part, it is when it gets personal that problems arise and
you just have to ignore those people Muskies. I think we are significantly better on the OL than last year myself. We will all see
how much. But I loved the Reiff, Carman, D'Ante Smith, Trey Hill grabs.

That wasn't directed at you, your term was just much nicer than some of the terms I've seen used lately. I haven't had anyone personally attack me, but some of the meltdowns on here have crossed lines and I can only assume they were allowed because of how some of these people are regarded.

Your posts are generally sensible and discussion based. There are some on here from both sides that have been throwing tantrums worse than children occasionally. I don't post much, but I used to read daily. I understand it's the offseason and some people are still riding high or low depending on if their guy was drafted. Even if you're still happy/angry or just fed up with the team/elated with the team, that's not an excuse to completely go off on others and forego being a decent person. Arguments happen, disagreements happen, but its been unreadable lately.

As for discussion, I agree that the starting OL seems to be upgraded and should at least be average. The depth is still lacking, our starting LT still hasn't proven he can make through it a full season, our starting RT is on a 1 year deal. I think Reiff will be solid and I understand he can be re-signed. If he plays lights out though, will the team really get into a bidding war for a 33 going on 34 year old stop gap RT? Should they? That still hasn't gotten to the depth that includes Jordan, Price, and a project OT that isn't expected to contribute until next year at the earliest. I hope and pray the OL starters can stay healthy or it could get rough again this year.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 02:37 PM)kevin Wrote: I would hope not. I think Mixon should mostly be the rushing back. I don't even like that play where the QB keeps the ball and other players push him into huge D Linemen.  Good way to kill your QB.  In old days Sammy Baugh said they pay me to throw, not run.  I think Burrow should throw and let other people do the rushing, he will have a longer career that way.

OK, I know what you mean.  Burrow claims he feels pretty good.  I think it will come down to how Burrow looks in training camp and preseason. I'm sure doctors and coaches are keeping a close eye on how his health is. Improved Blocking, a running game, and more open receivers would help Burrow greatly.

Thinking that second Washington Preseason game will be very telling...
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 02:40 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: BTW, bringing the thread back on track. Burrow was looking great in the vids Holic provided in another thread.

Stepping back, and just launching balls. Think his arm will be stronger this year. I just hope he hasn't lost his elusiveness
as this is one of my favorite traits of his.

Nate this is my biggest worry because a big part of Burrows game is his legs.  Everyone says Carson came back and had a great 2006 and he did but he didnt rely on his legs an scrambling near as much Burrow.  I'm sure Burrow will wear  brace on his knee but how much that affects him will be a factor in this season. 
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 02:41 PM)muskiesfan Wrote: That wasn't directed at you, your term was just much nicer than some of the terms I've seen used lately. I haven't had anyone personally attack me, but some of the meltdowns on here have crossed lines and I can only assume they were allowed because of how some of these people are regarded.

Your posts are generally sensible and discussion based. There are some on here from both sides that have been throwing tantrums worse than children occasionally. I don't post much, but I used to read daily. I understand it's the offseason and some people are still riding high or low depending on if their guy was drafted. Even if you're still happy/angry or just fed up with the team/elated with the team, that's not an excuse to completely go off on others and forego being a decent person. Arguments happen, disagreements happen, but its been unreadable lately.

As for discussion, I agree that the starting OL seems to be upgraded and should at least be average. The depth is still lacking, our starting LT still hasn't proven he can make through it a full season, our starting RT is on a 1 year deal. I think Reiff will be solid and I understand he can be re-signed. If he plays lights out though, will the team really get into a bidding war for a 33 going on 34 year old stop gap RT? Should they? That still hasn't gotten to the depth that includes Jordan, Price, and a project OT that isn't expected to contribute until next year at the earliest. I hope and pray the OL starters can stay healthy or it could get rough again this year.

Great post, yeah my concern is actually Center. Jonah is young and think he will eventually get over the injury bug.

Hopkins being injured is concerning to me but the Hill pick makes me feel much better. Dude played very good in the SEC 
against top D-lines and more than held his own. I am not holding my breath with Price or Jordan as I said. Definitely need 
to upgrade over these two players.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 02:42 PM)TJ528 Wrote: Nate this is my biggest worry because a big part of Burrows game is his legs.  Everyone says Carson came back and had a great 2006 and he did but he didnt rely on his legs an scrambling near as much Burrow.  I'm sure Burrow will wear  brace on his knee but how much that affects him will be a factor in this season. 

True that. Burrow is a very good running QB when a hole opens up, unlike Carson who was a statue who would just stay there
and take the sack if the coverage was good or he would force balls into coverage. Burrow has great pocket awareness but he 
needs to make sure he gets rid of the ball at times and not take that unnecessary hit. Burrow will learn, bet on that.
Reply/Quote
So far according to everything we have heard Burrow will be ready; it should be fun.

As to Pollack it sounds like he regards job one as undoing the faulty technique Turner put in place. This will be easier with veterans who predate Turner than rooks who Turner coached up. So I expect our opening day OL to be mostly those vets with Carman the only exception.

Williams - XSF - Hopkins - Carman - Reiff

Or if they feel Carman needs a bit more polish put Spain in his slot. If Hopkins is not ready Price will be at Center, and one can imagine getting Price ready would be a Pollack priority in that event.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Tiger
I absolutely believe that Billy Price is ready under Pollack to assume the job. He'll be ready to run off of a bridge when camp starts. As much as fans will hate it Michael Jordan will be a monster in camp and hang around. Don't be surprised about those two once the 53 is announced.
Reply/Quote
I don't think we should bring him back until we are sure the OL will hold up, we won't be competitive this year and we didn't fix the OL, so we will be jeopardizing his future for nothing. If we do bring him back then we need to be a run first team so that he doesn't get killed.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 12:19 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Carson Palmer suffered his knee injury on January 8th, 2006 and had reconstructive surgery 2 days later - a full 5 weeks later than Burrow. His injuries included numerous ligament tears, a shredded ligament, damaged cartilage and a dislocated kneecap. He received a tendon from a woman who had passed away a couple of years prior. His surgeon called his injuries 'devastating and potentially career-ending' and stated 'on a scale of one to three, it was a four. It was off the chart.'

Palmer played all 16 games in 2006, throwing for over 4,000 yards.

No 2 humans heal exactly the Same 
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 04:39 PM)Joelist Wrote: So far according to everything we have heard Burrow will be ready; it should be fun.

As to Pollack it sounds like he regards job one as undoing the faulty technique Turner put in place. This will be easier with veterans who predate Turner than rooks who Turner coached up. So I expect our opening day OL to be mostly those vets with Carman the only exception.

Williams - XSF - Hopkins - Carman - Reiff

Or if they feel Carman needs a bit more polish put Spain in his slot. If Hopkins is not ready Price will be at Center, and one can imagine getting Price ready would be a Pollack priority in that event.

This is definitely a possibility as well, I just see Spain beating XSF out at LG but you could be right Joelist and this is the way the
OL looks come opening day. One thing is Price was brought in here by Pollack and has sucked ever since his rookie year when he 
got hurt. Price knows this might be his last shot to show something as he has been a major bust to this point. Gonna get a ton of
snaps along with Trey Hill who I could see beating out Price, really like Hill.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 04:40 PM)AtomicBlaze Wrote: I don't think we should bring him back until we are sure the OL will hold up, we won't be competitive this year and we didn't fix the OL, so we will be jeopardizing his future for nothing.  If we do bring him back then we need to be a run first team so that he doesn't get killed.

i thought we should have been playing a Vet QB till we knew we had a halfway decent ol   but instead we have a 1OA with a repaired knee after 1 season
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 12:00 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

This is a fair question to all who love the team.
Do you believe the team will rush the "franchise" back too soon. I know that Joe is a competitor but I'd really lean to the cautious side. I'm thinking week four cautious.Thoughts... Especially if he can't fully participate before the season. I just keep thinking Andrew Luck.... Who is our backup btw... No seriously. Just didn't do everything in the power of the organization to protect the guy. I want to believe but its difficult.  The reports this week was interests in another wideout.... Why

So it would appear by your comments to replies thus far that you were never really looking an answer to the question rather just agreement with your take on the situation.

No he will not be rushed back because Joe is smarter than that. His dad played college and pro ball as well as being a long time coach. He understands the nature of injuries and I am certain that he is advising Joe through the entire process.

As to the O line...again here I would disagree with you. They brought back one of the best O line coaches in the game right now. In his single season with the Bengals the line showed improvement and he should have never been let go in the first place. They added Riley Reiff filling the weak link at RT(does not matter if only for a season at this point as you only play a season at a time). They were in the market for a high caliber OG and got that prospect in Jackson Carman. That really leaves one OG spot open and we have very qualified candidates to compete for that position.

Why wouldn't the team be interested in players at any position if they were potential upgrades to what we have in the depth chart now and give the team a better chance of winning?
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 04:47 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: i thought we should have been playing a Vet QB till we knew we had a halfway decent ol   but instead we have a 1OA with a repaired knee after 1 season
Tiger

That scar was as long as 75N and it scared me! 
Still does actually. Why is Frank Pollack holding the bag if the line fails? My eyes will be focused heavily on 6-25-1. So I hereby say that the coach will only be addressed by his record moving forward. I'll leave the 1 out. Zimmer/ Guenther will be blitzing game 1
So we'll get a glimpse early about the offensive line play. I will say that the first three are winnable...
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 04:55 PM)OSUfan Wrote: So it would appear by your comments to replies thus far that you were never really looking an answer to the question rather just agreement with your take on the situation.

No he will not be rushed back because Joe is smarter than that. His dad played college and pro ball as well as being a long time coach. He understands the nature of injuries and I am certain that he is advising Joe through the entire process.

As to the O line...again here I would disagree with you. They brought back one of the best O line coaches in the game right now. In his single season with the Bengals the line showed improvement and he should have never been let go in the first place. They added Riley Reiff filling the weak link at RT(does not matter if only for a season at this point as you only play a season at a time). They were in the market for a high caliber OG and got that prospect in Jackson Carman. That really leaves one OG spot open and we have very qualified candidates to compete for that position.

Why wouldn't the team be interested in players at any position if they were potential upgrades to what we have in the depth chart now and give the team a better chance of winning?

Spot on about Burrow, he isn't stupid and he has a lot of football guys in his corner...

Also, a lot of the players some guys were pining for were just their favorites and were overpaid, like Thuney and Orlando
who both gave up more sacks and had more penalties than Reiff last season. It is all preference. Some just cannot get on 
board with the players selected for some reason. Looking at the players I preferred the way we went about it and prefer 
the players we got and at what price. Getting Carman and Shelvin and D'Ante knocked it out of the park in my eyes.

That isn't even including our FA where we improved our pass rush IMO.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 04:39 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger
I absolutely believe that Billy Price is ready under Pollack to assume the job. He'll be ready to run off of a bridge when camp starts. As much as fans will hate it Michael Jordan will be a monster in camp and hang around. Don't be surprised about those two once the 53 is announced.

OSU homers have no shame lol
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 12:00 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

This is a fair question to all who love the team.
Do you believe the team will rush the "franchise" back too soon. I know that Joe is a competitor but I'd really lean to the cautious side. I'm thinking week four cautious.Thoughts... Especially if he can't fully participate before the season. I just keep thinking Andrew Luck.... Who is our backup btw... No seriously. Just didn't do everything in the power of the organization to protect the guy. I want to believe but its difficult.  The reports this week was interests in another wideout.... Why

No they won't rush him back
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 05:45 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: OSU homers have no shame lol

Was thinking the same thing.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2021, 01:30 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: That's obviously not the case. People on this board are allowed to be as positive or negative as they want...and they do so on a regular basis.

It’s a fine line between being positive and realistic Ninja
Reply/Quote