Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Eli Apple The Starting CB?
(03-29-2022, 01:17 PM)schroomytunes Wrote: As of right now I gotta believe he is, but I think the Bengals like most of you will be drafting at least 2 this year, we need a guy to groom behind Apple, and lets face it he really wasn't terrible the 2nd half of the year. I could live with this type of production from our CB depth chart:

1) Awozie
2) Hilton-slot
3) Apple
4) Roger McCreary-Auburn 1st rd pick
5) Jalen Davis
6) Tre Flowers- re-signed after draft.

Tiger
Any reason why Tre Flowers hasn't been resigned or is he signed thru the season already.?.. I thought that he played huge down the stretch! 
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 01:41 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Is there really a LB named Dead? I want this guy on my team! Lol

He's Dead to me.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 11:30 AM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

I'm not sure he's the starter but this is a team that has a belief in his capabilities. This guy is so polarizing because he has just as many haters as fans. Its interesting to me because if your not going to trade up for a guy or grab a FA then your banking on a player on the current roster to be the starter imo. The class although talented has a starter ready cliff but its certainly deep with potential. Maybe another veteran is the safest path to at least securing the position for a camp battle. Time will tell but I can see it being a topic of discussion moving forward especially after the draft. Thoughts?

For now Eli is. This Draft is really deep at Corner and I think we add the future there and they don't have to start right away 
cause of Awuzie and Apple. Happy Eli finally started gaining a bit of consistency as a player last year under Lou. I don't care 
for his talk off the field but no one can deny his talent. There are many reasons why he was a first round pick.
Reply/Quote
IDK about Apple. He cost the Bengals the Super Bowl and was so lost on that play. Looked like a special ed kid chasing a balloon on the field.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 02:57 PM)plantmanky Wrote: IDK about Apple.  He cost the Bengals the Super Bowl and was so lost on that play.  Looked like a special ed kid chasing a balloon on the field.

It wasnt the o-line? It wasnt the bogus call on Logan Wilson?

it was the decent cornerback losing to the best wr in the league in a 1v1 situation?
Reply/Quote
he will be for this season. No one we could draft in our range that could likely start over him.
Apple isn't bad, i liked him coming out of college and think the Giants did him no favors on that crappy team they had then..
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 03:02 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: It wasnt the o-line? It wasnt the bogus call on Logan Wilson?

it was the decent cornerback losing to the best wr in the league in a 1v1 situation?

No doubt, if anything. Hilton or one of the Safeties should of been trying to help Apple out on that play.

Everybody knew where the ball was going. Wasn't Apple's fault, not many Corners would win in that situation.

And yes, the O-line was what truly lost us the game and yes that was a bogus call on Logan. Well said Frank.
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 12:10 PM)Emeritus Wrote: Tiger

The outsider that I like at 31 may be a reach to some but its Kyler Gordon. I absolutely like his tools to be a day one starter. I see the others being off the board at pick 31 but QB desperate teams move draft boards. I'm not sure that they go after Gilmore but they definitely have the resources to do so.

Gordon has the tool set but ran 4.5 and refused to re-run the 40 at his pro day. Not sure you can spend a 1st Rd on that lack of speed.

Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 03:02 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: It wasnt the o-line? It wasnt the bogus call on Logan Wilson?

Apple didnt lose the battle, he never showed up for it, go back and watch the play.  He allows space, never looks for the ball, like I said lost looking for balloons.  

He never contested the play at all.  Its one thing to get beat, he didnt show up to get beat. 
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 02:56 PM)plantmanky Wrote: Apple didnt lose the battle, he never showed up for it, go back and watch the play.  He allows space, never looks for the ball, like I said lost looking for balloons.  

He never contested the play at all.  Its one thing to get beat, he didnt show up to get beat. 

If you honestly believe that, your iq must be very low

but I dont think you honestly believe that
Reply/Quote
As of now he is. Will have to win his spot VS whatever rookies we draft.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
I think he improves in his second year in the system too. iirc he hasn’t had much of a chance to establish himself anywhere over an extended time period. Sticking around and playing with the same teammates and coaches should do him well.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 03:30 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: If you honestly believe that, your iq must be very low

By my count all the CBS for both teams did enough to win. It coming down to 1 on 1 VS Kupp for the championship jus LT shouldn’t have happened. There should’ve been safety help. I would’ve rather left whoever was on the left in man with no safety help than left Kupp alone with no overtop help. That was a coaching mistake period. Apple just can’t be asked to do that for the whole title.
-Housh
Reply/Quote
Apple is... not good. Until he is replaced, someone is always open.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 03:52 PM)Housh Wrote: By my count all the CBS for both teams did enough to win. It coming down to 1 on 1 VS Kupp for the championship jus LT shouldn’t have happened. There should’ve been safety help. I would’ve rather left whoever was on the left in man with no safety help than left Kupp alone with no overtop help. That was a coaching mistake period. Apple just can’t be asked to do that for the whole title.

It was a back shoulder fade, you can't provide safety help on that. They were on the one yard line, there is no "over the top" to bring help on. You run cover zero 99% of the time in these instances and trust your guys to make plays. Kupp made a play and Apple didn't. That doesn't mean Apple is bad or anything, but it's just how it goes. It isn't a coaching mistake. 
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 04:26 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: It was a back shoulder fade, you can't provide safety help on that. They were on the one yard line, there is no "over the top" to bring help on. You run cover zero 99% of the time in these instances and trust your guys to make plays. Kupp made a play and Apple didn't. That doesn't mean Apple is bad or anything, but it's just how it goes. It isn't a coaching mistake. 

That is why it was a brilliant call by the Rams cause I have to agree with you. Too bad we didn't have Awuzie shadow Kupp
or something like this, everyone knew where the ball was going, it was a mismatch. Maybe even Awuzie would of lost IDK.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 06:24 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: That is why it was a brilliant call by the Rams cause I have to agree with you. Too bad we didn't have Awuzie shadow Kupp
or something like this, everyone knew where the ball was going, it was a mismatch. Maybe even Awuzie would of lost IDK.

Cupp broke inside to give the exact same look as when he blocked down. Apple bit and could not recover.
Reply/Quote
We need Stephon Gilmore in here asap.. Quit messing around.. Get it done..
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 06:33 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Cupp broke inside to give the exact same look as when he blocked down. Apple bit and could not recover.

There is a reason he was the best WR in the NFL last year. Kupp is damn good at what he does.

Too bad we don't know what would of happened if Awuzie was on him in that situation.

Still, I cannot put all the blame on Apple for us losing the Superbowl. He played pretty well for most the game.

The OL on the other hand did not.
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 03:30 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: If you honestly believe that, your iq must be very low

He never took his eyes off of Kupp, never looked for the ball, had he, he could have knocked it away (maybe - he didnt really play the WR well either to be honest)
Reply/Quote