Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Eli Apple The Starting CB?
(03-30-2022, 03:52 PM)Housh Wrote: By my count all the CBS for both teams did enough to win. It coming down to 1 on 1 VS Kupp for the championship jus LT shouldn’t have happened. There should’ve been safety help. I would’ve rather left whoever was on the left in man with no safety help than left Kupp alone with no overtop help. That was a coaching mistake period. Apple just can’t be asked to do that for the whole title.

I agree, should have had safety help no doubt, but still the CB has to play the situation, and he failed. 
Reply/Quote
(03-30-2022, 04:26 PM)KillerGoose Wrote: It was a back shoulder fade, you can't provide safety help on that. They were on the one yard line, there is no "over the top" to bring help on. You run cover zero 99% of the time in these instances and trust your guys to make plays. Kupp made a play and Apple didn't. That doesn't mean Apple is bad or anything, but it's just how it goes. It isn't a coaching mistake. 

While you are correct on the Cover 0, I think your wrong on not having help.  You could have doubled Kupp on that play.  Let someone else beat  you. 
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 02:28 PM)plantmanky Wrote: While you are correct on the Cover 0, I think your wrong on not having help.  You could have doubled Kupp on that play.  Let someone else beat  you. 

We should have doubled Kupp the entire last drive.  Our DC had a great season, the last drive he failed.

Reply/Quote
Replay of the TD is here: https://youtu.be/kgyC8OkRqA4

It wasn't some amazing route or anything; if anything at all, it was a rather unimpressive route. Apple just had no recovery much less any instinct on where the ball was. Most DBs at least break this pass up easily - many pick it.
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 03:37 PM)Xan Wrote:  Most DBs at least break this pass up easily - many pick it.

Yeah right, that is why Kupp caught 180 passes for 2425 yards and 22 tds this year.

Every other CB in the league shut him down except Apple.

Rolleyes
Reply/Quote
Fred taking the bait lol

Even I knew better not to respond to that jabroni
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 02:28 PM)plantmanky Wrote: While you are correct on the Cover 0, I think your wrong on not having help.  You could have doubled Kupp on that play.  Let someone else beat  you. 

I disagree. You're just in a bad spot here. You're on the one yard line and you come out in heavy personnel. How are you changing this up? 

[Image: 6J36aUc.png]

Everyone has a man. There is no one to double. Everyone on that line is crashing in. Everyone not on the line has a man. If you take bodies out of the box, they run the ball. Keep in mind, they only need a yard and it is 2nd down. Cincinnati is just in a tough position here and need their players to make a play. It didn't happen. 
Reply/Quote
(03-29-2022, 02:57 PM)plantmanky Wrote: IDK about Apple.  He cost the Bengals the Super Bowl and was so lost on that play.  Looked like a special ed kid chasing a balloon on the field.

As did 90% of the league against Cupp all season.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2022, 01:41 AM)grampahol Wrote: As did 90% of the league against Cupp all season.. 

Ya, I don't get this lol... Kupp was a triple crown winner and went for 2000 yards... Did people really think Apple was gonna shut him down? Lol... Ridiculous...
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 02:26 PM)plantmanky Wrote: I agree, should have had safety help no doubt, but still the CB has to play the situation, and he failed. 

Ya and if he jumped the route and Stafford went over the top of Apple, you would ***** about that too.. It was a perfect throw, and Apple had good position.. Kupp makes this play on any DB right there...
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2022, 02:19 AM)Tony Wrote: Ya, I don't get this lol... Kupp was a triple crown winner and went for 2000 yards... Did people really think Apple was gonna shut him down? Lol... Ridiculous...

Yeah, our #2 corner against the best WR in the NFL? What do you think is going to happen?

Can't expect your #2 to win there, it would of been different if it was Awuzie maybe...

We just don't know.

In the end our O-line needed to hold up and we would of still won. Spain screwed the pooch.

Thank God we improved the OL in Free Agency. 
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2022, 02:19 AM)Tony Wrote: Ya, I don't get this lol... Kupp was a triple crown winner and went for 2000 yards... Did people really think Apple was gonna shut him down? Lol... Ridiculous...

Yep

Blaming Apple for losing the SB is about like blaming the cook for the sinking of the Titanic. 
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 04:07 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah right, that is why Kupp caught 180 passes for 2425 yards and 22 tds this year.

Every other CB in the league shut him down except Apple.

Rolleyes
So all Kupp did was run that exact route with that exact pass agaisnt everyone all year? Who knew?
Reply/Quote
This thread kills me.  People finally talking about Eli Apple and they're calling out the wrong reasons for him sucking.  

Sad times.
-The only bengals fan that has never set foot in Cincinnati 1-15-22
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2022, 01:59 PM)basballguy Wrote: This thread kills me.  People finally talking about Eli Apple and they're calling out the wrong reasons for him sucking.  

Sad times.

What do you mean "finally"?  A large portion of the fan base has been whining non-stop ever since we signed the guy.

He has been on of the most discussed players on the team.
Reply/Quote
Come on we all know if the player isn't an all pro he's immediately trash...
Reply/Quote
(04-02-2022, 03:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: What do you mean "finally"?  A large portion of the fan base has been whining non-stop ever since we signed the guy.

He has been on of the most discussed players on the team.

(04-02-2022, 08:52 PM)MasonDT70 Wrote: Come on we all know if the player isn't an all pro he's immediately trash...

I think we over paid for his All-Pro abilities. Ninja
Reply/Quote
(03-31-2022, 02:35 PM)casear2727 Wrote: We should have doubled Kupp the entire last drive.  Our DC had a great season, the last drive he failed.

Bengals 2021 Defense
18th Overall
17th Scoring
5th Rushing
26th Passing
22nd 3rd Down %
17th Takeaways
12th Sacks

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2022, 09:12 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bengals 2021 Defense
18th Overall
17th Scoring
5th Rushing
26th Passing
22nd 3rd Down %
17th Takeaways
12th Sacks

Many of these metrics are volume statistics so I am going to add some efficiency/per attempt metrics...

18th in passer rating
12th in EPA per pass attempt
16th in yards per carry
15th in EPA per rush attempt
9th in overall EPA per play

They were an okay defense that really ramped it up in the playoffs. They also dealt with minimal injuries.
Reply/Quote
(04-03-2022, 09:12 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bengals 2021 Defense
18th Overall
17th Scoring
5th Rushing
26th Passing
22nd 3rd Down %
17th Takeaways
12th Sacks

The rushing Defense was pretty great though especially compared to the last decade or so when teams just ran all over us.

The Defense was great in the Playoffs and in the Superbowl.
Reply/Quote